Grey's Anatomy Finale Preview: Shonda Rhimes on the 'Calzona' Scene that Left the Cast 'Stunned'

Greys Anatomy Season 9 Calzona TwistGrey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes added another sharp turn to Callie and Arizona’s rollercoaster year this week with the introduction of Hilarie Burton’s potential third wheel Lauren.

As of now, Arizona has yet to reciprocate the flirty doc’s advances, but a lot can — and it sounds like will — happen in this season’s final two episodes.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss to ‘Calzona’ Fans: ‘You Absolutely Should Be Worried’

“We’re equal opportunity over here at Grey’s Anatomy,” maintains Rhimes of a possible ‘Calzona’ cheating scandal. “Straight people have their cheating moments all of the time. We’ve created this relationship that’s very interesting and complex, and I feel like we’re at a moment where this [temptation] feels earned. We’re doing something that feels very in keeping with what’s right for these characters.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

The exact nature of that “something” was provocative enough to bring the show’s season finale table read to a brief standstill. “There was a [Calzona] scene that was such a breathtaking moment that it stunned everyone into silence,” Rhimes recalls, adding, “It’s the culmination of a [season-long] journey for these two characters.”

So, what say you? Do you think Arizona will stray? Theories about the “breathtaking moment” in question? Hit the comments!

1. amy says:

cant breathe…..

2. Elly says:

Yawn, they’ll always end up together. It’s like breaking up Mer-Der or Owen-Christina.

• Manu says:

Yeah! I thought the same as u when I read this! They can’t break up MerDer or Crowen, so they can’t break up Calzona!

• Leigh says:

But to what end? There’s no honest, believable way in which Callie and Arizona end up together again that rings true. If Derek had cheated on Meredith this season – after they’re married and have a child together and have gone through as much as they’ve gone through – then I wouldn’t want Meredith to be with him, either. And this is the SECOND TIME Callie has had her spouse cheat on her!

3. Jess says:

Omg Shonda is killing me, hope everything will be oaken between Calzona, is Hilarie Burton in 2 or 3 episode?????

4. Babygate says:

I would like to think that although she is human and thus vulnerable to temptation, Arizona will stay true to the sentiment she has expressed to her wife before about not being able to live without her and about “if you ever sleep with anyone else…I’ll kick your a**.” I welcome the drama and the tension. What I’m having a problem with is how Arizona was admiring and appreciating Lauren’s physical assets in a way that we have never seen her do with Callie. Ever. Last season Callie stood in front of her in her bra and Arizona didn’t so much as peek down for even a second. Callie has no problem taking in Arizona’s finest physical attributes with one sweep of her eyes, but Arizona has never responded in kind. I always thought that it was because JCap is not very proficient at playing gay, but then in the very first try she has no problem checking out Hilary Burton’s butt. So, that part does puzzle me and makes me uncomfortable.

• tahina says:

Jessica also played a gay character I The L Word.

• Babygate says:

Yeah. I know. I watched her. And at the time I honestly thought she did a horrible job, especially in that universe where even the guest stars were highly sexualized. I had no idea who she was then and I didn’t recognize her when she joined Greys but I always felt that Nadia was the worst performance of a guest star. Imo…

• cdog says:

Yes I totally get what you are saying. I find that a bit puzzling.

• bmw says:

This is not true..when Callie had the chicken pox…Arizona told Lexie she found Callie to be miraculous and breathtakingly beautiful….

• calzona777 says:

Anytime I think about Arizona cheating on Callie it makes me sick, knowing all that they have been through, I don’t support it at all, but maybe Arizona feels that Callie feels sorry for her all the time, or that she’s just not the same after the leg loss, maybe they didn’t deal with all the issues which Shonda clearly stated, there’s something hidden still their with Arizona that she’s battling with, and this new doc helps her bring it out… But still hate thinking about it, I hope it turns out that Arizona falls for Callie more…

• Debra says:

If Arizona breaks Callie’ s heart, I hope Callie takes Arizona’s prosthetic leg and beats her over the head with it, and then hides it while Callie packs up everything, including the baby, and moves out and on. Uhm, too harsh?

• Rebecca says:

What I dont understand is how Arizona can jump into bed with someone she doesn’t know and trust whilst she has a prosthetic leg. Didnt that make her feel so insecure?

• Ally Catt says:

I am with you. It is bizarre. One would think that it would be harder for her to be with someone else rather than Callie. I actually think it is a pretty bad call by Rhimes.

• Swati says:

Arizona was absolutely insecure about the leg but when Lauren said that she knew about it and yet continued to express interest in her, Arizona felt like her old, attractive self again. And that is a big reason she gave in to Lauren’s advances.

• blancaster60 says:

How in the world could Arizona think that Callie doesn’t hink she’s the same (assume you mean sexually)? Callie came on to her a dozen times after Arizona lost her leg, only to be turned away. She patiently waitied until Arizona was ready and never even came close to cheating on her, even though she was really getting frustrated. Now Arizona does this? I hope Callie finds out and tells her “Don’t let the door hit you in the a** on the way out, and maybe you can see our child the first Tuesday of every month.”

• Calliearizona says:

They are my favorite characters and it kills me seeing them like this.. :( its not fair for callie she did everything she could :(

• mzglorybe says:

Babygate: I agree. Poor Callie! She is so loyal and beautiful. She will never understand Arizona doing this to her.

5. Ella says:

Shonda Rhimes can you not?? Callie has been through enough and she has already been cheated on.

• CC says:

Didn’t Callie cheat on Erica when she slept with Mark, when she wanted to find out whether she liked men, still?

• marge says:

Nope. because Erica and Callie weren’t official then. And once Callie told Erica about her tryst with Mark in trying to figure out her sexuality, Erica accepted it and then they became official and Callie and Mark became just friends.

• Bill says:

Agree completely. What Callie did with Eric wasn’t cheating for multiple reasons. And as I recall, Arizona had basically chosen her career over Callie and taken off for (I think) Africa. What Arizona just did was inexcusable. Yes, Shonda many straight people cheat on their spouses/partners. And there are usually negative consequences when they do. If you act like a complete jerk, be prepared to suffer for it. I hope that Arizona loses Callie over this. She deserves no less. And Callie deserves much better.

• Jenifer says:

I was so shock and angry when Arizona did this to Callie!, I loved them, but I agree with you, Callie deserves betterr. I hope Shonda makes Callie stand up, go foward and get a beautifull loving woman for season 10

• Gargy1975 says:

Ding! Ding! Ding! <3

6. angel says:

am a hardcore MER/DER FAN 9yrs and counting

along the line i have appreciated christina and her fleet of men.

am not feeling the avery/intern fumbling. i love sarah ramirez she’s

totally awesome, so far as SR doesnt kill mer’s baby or put der in bed with

brookes[vomiting a little in my mouth] am good.

• shred says:

Cristina had a fleet of men? It was just Burke, Owen and that dude in the beginning of s9. How is that a fleet? George had more partners than her!

• Raver says:

EXACTLY! Cristina never had a fling! she had two long term relationships which both ended up her getting engaged to married. She never indulged in casual thing with any male doctors or nurses.

@angel: BTW its CRistina, not Christina!

• CC says:

It is Meredith who has been with a fleet of men.. After Derek decided to stay with Addison, Meredith had a series of one night stands. George and Izzie made fun of it and called them names like The Running Guy, Inappropriate Facial Hair Guy, Tattooed Ass Guy and Inappropriate Facial Hair Guy. This is, of course, in addition to sleeping with Derek and George. Cristina has slept with three men on the show – Burke, Owen and Dr. Parker.

• CC says:

Oops, repeated one guy twice. I should have said Hairy Back Guy, too.

• anne says:

Meredith was single. She was dating Derek while he lied about having a wife he no longer loved and while he tried to stay in his marriage that was over, Mer was free to do what she wanted. She had no commitments, she was not cheating when she did it. Not sure why Cristina was brought into it either. She may have dated a few guys, but was not cheating around as she did so and the amount we have seen or heard about has been few. But in terms of Meredith, other than it serving no purpose in healing and being dangerous. I had zero problem with her “randoms” Her life as a single woman, her body. But in terms of MerDer, when they have been “together” they have been faithful to one another. Hopefully they won’t break them up again. At this point it would be a joke. As far as Calzona, I really like this couple and “if” Shonda Rhimes does put a cheating SL together, I can only hope it serves a purpose to bring them even closer together after the events that happened to Arizona earlier in the seaon.

7. tahina says:

I bet it’s the scene Shonda said was deleted from the script to everyone’s eyes except the director..Calzona split scene..:0(

8. Jess says:

I think they will get legally marriage or a sister to Sofia, it’s noting that will destroy them

9. Danielle says:

Weren’t they a possible couple in the break up blind item? I know that blind item has since changed somehow, but still, maybe it is them?

• Liam says:

Yes they were

• Kara says:

That is exactly what I’m thinking, Danielle. I had a fear ever since seeing that item back in dec, but then 2 weeks later, Shonda was like, “no couple is splitting. don’t listen to rumors.” but we know you can’t really trust what she says. She probably bought off Ausiello or something and that’s why he retracted the story. Shonda didn’t want to ruin her plan for a break up that early in the season. And now everything she says about them is quite cryptic and she has been mentioning them as individuals, rather than as a unit. i find that quite unsettling. and now she talks on twitter of “is anyone really made for each other?” I’m guess that’s why the writer’s discussions we so intense and that they made some very “bold & shocking” decisions. Breaking Calzona uu certainly fits the bill!!!!

10. Leigh says:

Why do I have a feeling Callie’s gonna slap Arizona?

• Babygate says:

Gosh, I would hope not. I mean, she’s the Ortho queen. She could unhinge her jaw or something. But I wouldn’t be opposed to her slapping the flirt out of Lauren’s face. That’s part of the reason I don’t mind this plot. I’ve always wanted to see Callie jealous because she’s so trusting at times… It would be good for her to be rattled and not take things for granted.

• Anna says:

Jealous Callie would probably be more tolerable than “acting like an immature teenager around Jackson” Callie.

• A says:

The whole everyone blames everything on Avery is so played out now (and its not only Callie). But I agree about a jealous Callie being more interesting. Plus, Callie has been really childish lately.
          i miss her spiciness and sarcasm. A great example was when Jo was hitting on Callie and Callie went off on her “poking the horny bear” speech. I miss that Callie.

• Anna says:

That’s very true, but out of all 5 of the them, Callie and Meredith are acting the most like small, immature brats. I miss the older seasons Callie too, but she still has her snarkyness and her fun side (I liked her a lot last week with the wannabe girl reporter)

• Suzie says:

I thought the exact same thing… it’s either going to be really bad like Callie hitting Arizona or something really good like Arizona wanting the get pregnant. I hope it’s a good thing :D

• Kara says:

OMG, I had a feeling there might be some domestic violence too! But I wasn’t sure if it would be Callie or Arizona doing the slapping!! Callie certainly is very strong and passionate and we already saw her grab Arizona in the shower scene.

11. Anna says:

I think Arizona will appreciate having someone who isn’t her wife tell her that she’s still sexy and attractive and might even kiss Lauren, but won’t go any further. I don’t know why, but I just can’t see Arizona cheating- especially with her reactions to Callie and Mark being together. I don’t think they’ll break up either after all they’ve been through this season. But I’m fully aware that I might come back here on May 16th and admit that I was wrong.

• Leigh says:

Unfortunately Shonda says in an interview in The Hollywood Reporter that the situation with Arizona and Lauren goes “very, very far.” And there’s an “emotional death” in the final for one couple…..*sigh*

• Hanna says:

I’m freaking out right now. I dont really see Arizona like someone who would cheat, I mean, it doesn’t go with personality at all. I think she needs to feel sexy again and to hear it from someone different than her wife, but just that, i mean she cant cheat! she really really loves her wife. But dammit with shonda rhimes everything is possible.

• It’s not like Callie and Arizona haven’t broken up and/or lost each other before before guys….at the airport, over Arizona not wanting kids, the car accident, the plane crash, the freaked out Arizona after the amputation….Breaking up then getting back together is their modus operandi.

• jaime says:

In my opinion, kissing is cheating

• Alice says:

I hope you don’t have to admit you are wrong. And May 16th can’t get her soon enough.

12. nitemar says:

A threesome..:D

• Joy says:

You beat me to it.

• Anna says:

That is one of the few plotlines Grey’s hasn’t touched (aside from Meredith’s dream about Derek and Finn). it would be funny to see people’s heads explode about a F/F/F threesome lol

• And remember all the teasing talk of threesomes in that infamous elevator with Hahn, Callie, and Mark? Of course that fantasy feeds the straight male audience. I don’t know about three women…but I wouldn’t mind taking notes…

• 777 says:

i agree.. can’t think of anything else that after 9 seasons would be so shocking to the cast.. especially after Callie said “i’m a little bit in love with her”..

• Sophonisbe says:

What I thought too ! Or, if it were sooner in the episodes, like when Arizona didn’t want to be touched, the “green light” from Callie to let her sleep with her, to boost her confidence.

• Maybe….It was Callie who said “I think I’m a little in love with her” after all….But a threesome would feed the LGBT haters’ prejudices about us as being “immoral”. I mean really. Someone posted here who said kissing was cheating, so what would a threesome in post-Victorianville cause. Geez. Head for the hills. I can hear the tsunami of screaming haters already…

• Jeanette says:

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!

13. Dani says:

well it’s not really surprising since Arizona is THE WORST.

14. Lisa says:

Maybe it’s a threesome??? Then again, that’s too racy for network tv.

• A says:

I actually initially thought that, especially after Callie said “I think I’m in love with her” but I doubt that it will happen.

15. Lisa says:

Or maybe Arizona is still sulking in bed after the accident and the whole season’s been nothing but a dream/fantasy.

16. Kim Kline says:

It’s 1 of 2 things… The finale is boring like it was in season 7 and shonda is creating hype around the 2 couples that have huge fan bases.. Calzona or and merder. If they have arizona cheat her character will never recover bc pretty much the majority of fans hate her already. Also why waste this whole season getting them on good terms and destroy it? Shonda seems to like capshaw but this is kind of weird that once again arizona is going to f up but who knows!

17. idmsl says:

who says it has to be an affair between Lauren and Arizona! Why not Lauren and Callie?

• Sandra says:

I was thinking it was Callie and Lauren hooking up instead.

• Well, that’s interesting….especially after Arizona’s remarks about how beautiful Callie’s eyes are and how “hot” Callie is plus her stating that she’s happily married….We all know that lyric, “don’t advertise your (wo)man” don’t we…?

18. Danielle says:

I’m annoyed by how quick people are jumping to threesome. I never saw threesome tossed around for Mark-Callie-Arizona or MerDerApril or anything like that. Yes, Callie said the “I kinda love her” bit, but it was obviously more of a Cristina approved, chick is a rock star kind of thing and not a I want to be in her pants thing. These two have shown zero signs that either is into open relationships, so guessing a threesome makes you seem, imo, ignorant. Marriage is marriage, just because this marriage is between two chicks doesn’t mean they’re suddenly cool with sleeping around.

• 777 says:

i think you are the one jumping in conclusion here… a threesome doesn’t mean an open relationship, or that the marriage is not real. a lot of couple are looking for ways to spice up their sex life, and threesomes are one of those ways. the only reason people are jumping to threesome is because Shonda said the entire cast was shocked. personally i prefer the threesome because i really don’t want to see Arizona cheats, in my opinion it would be a character assassination and AZ is my favorite. but again, the only one here who jumped in conclusion was you

• Anna says:

i think most of us are very aware that a female/female/female threesome is probably never going to happen on a show that airs at 9 on ABC. There was backlash from people who were upset that the show had Callie and Arizona in bed together eating pizza! But for me, I like Arizona and I think it would be out of character for her to cheat.

• CalzoniSamBec says:

So cheating is only okay if the married couple are gay? Talk about defensive and hypocritical when it’s your ship.

19. eloise says:

as much as i want to see calzona stay together, i just want something to HAPPEN in general. these episodes have been a bore it wasn’t until the final moment of last night (jo) that shonda actually caught my attention for the first time in weeks…

20. gary says:

Is it just me are the same storyline repacked every season now?? Arizona and Callie have problems. Alex falls for a crazy chick(i hope this isnt true. but it seems like they are gonna play it out as if Jo did that to herself). Cristina and Owen fight about wanting kids. The only growth is from Derek and Mer. Time for the all of the characters to grow up

21. soxfan says:

“We’ve created this relationship that’s very interesting and complex, and I feel like we’re at a moment where this [temptation] feels earned.” OK, I guess I’m being stupid here, just HOW & WHERE does a human being feels he or she has EARNED the temptation to cheat? I am hoping Arizona doesn’t – this entire SEASON has been about HER losing her leg & all the ramifications of losing it, getting a new prosthetic & moving forward with her life by going back to the hospital & being with Callie & Sophia – cheating would just be spitting in the face of all that. I am wondering if the “stunned cast” found out that Callie finds Arizona & Lauren in bed together. But doesn’t Arizona already have a history of “many” women?

• Babygate says:

I had a similar reaction when I first read her comment but then I thought about it. It seems evident that this is all about Arizona still struggling to become the sexual being she was before. Callie loves her and because of that love and the commitment of the marriage she can allow herself to enjoy that type of intimacy. But in a way, that’s to be expected. That your spouse will desire you regardless because of the existing bond. What Lauren presents is the reality that Arizona still feels less than what she was before the crash. Lauren gives her attention and it takes Arizona by surprise because she, Lauren, is not obligated to be attracted to her. I think that’s the moment that Shonda refers to as being earned. And mind you, she is talking about the temptation as being earned, not the cheating. I think that with Lauren Arizona allows herself to go outside of her comfort zone and allows herself to contemplate an illicit exchange because it allows her to regain some of the validation and confidence she used to feel before she lost a limb. Of course, all of this could be just crap. But its my take on it so I can keep my fangirl sanity when Shonda pulls a stunt like this.

• chris says:

maybe its about AZ gaining confidence that she is sexy to others, but then again maybe its something else, Maybe its the fact that Callie failed her/failed to save her leg and failed to save her best friend and resentments that have built up get aired. When AZ was faced with the choice (in the musical) to save Callie’s life by taking the baby early she fought Mark to not do so, because she knew the kid was Callies dream and that Callie would take her chances to save the kid if she was given the choice/would be crushed if she survived at the kids expense. So maybe AZ still holds resentment over callie not respecting her wishes and having to wake up to find her wife cut off her leg? Heck maybe all the resentments over Africa/CAM/ etc that have gone down with these two get brought back up? A real twist would be if Callie was the one who ended up cheating with the new doc or even with Owen. In any case, I fully expect these two to break up and if they do then I’d rather they not get back together. Its pretty obvious C/A will never be treated equal to the other relationships in the sexie time department, so better to move each of them on.

• Surely by now Arizona has accepted that the amputation was necessary to save her life and that Callie shouldn’t have let Arizona pressure her into making a promise that as a doctor, she couldn’t keep.

• Vera Dornelles says:

Estou quase fritando os miolos agora, e pensando que este silencio todo do cast não poderia ser que esta dra.nova está dando em cima de Arizona a mando de Callie? poderia ser, Callie realmente ama Ari e está sentiindo que ela ainda não está inteira na relação e como nós sabemos que ela é impulsiva, foi uma maneira que ela achou em elevar a auto-estima da Ari.(outra mulher lhe desejando, etc e tal?) Esta dra deve ser alguma antiga amiga ou colega de Callie que entrou no jogo para ajudar a amiga que ama sua esposa, talvez? ou surtei de vez?

• Gargy1975 says:

Yes, Arizona has a history with just about every lesbian and bi-sexual woman in the hospital! ;9P

22. RobMF says:

I’m willing to bet this is all misleading of epic proportions and has nothing to do with Cheating.

23. tee says:

it’d be hilarious if the breathtaking moment was a threesome. #justsayin

24. it’d be hilarious if the breathtaking moment was a threesome. #justsayin

25. Littleowl says:

How about this one – Lauren was only a dream that Arizona had? LOL!!!

26. amandabronck says:

I actually liked hilarie burton’s character and i hope she will be back for s10! Maybe she would be bisexual and fall in love with alex (because i hate jo)

27. Rube says:

Didn’t Shondra say recently that she would be good to Callie and good to Arizona in the finale ? if so, surely that means NO cheating from either of them.

• Kara says:

Shonda said, “I will be good to Callie.” “And I will be good to Arizona.” The fact that she mentions them separately and not as a unit has never sit right w/ me. I’ve always suspected she was gonna do something to them that would make us unhappy. I’m thinking her “bold & shocking” decision is a calzona breakup.

28. Gargy1975 says:

I am totally, insane, I have been up till 3 am (Central-Time: USA), reading-up on this subject and all the readers’ comments…and I really have to at least go brush my teeth, wash my face, maybe check -in one last, quick-time and then off to bed, I will go….damn, I have pills I have to take first….THIS IS HOW MUCH I LOVE ARIZONA ROBBINS…AND JESSICA WAS EXCELLENT AS ALL THE LESBIANS SHE HAS PLAYED…SHE SUCKS PLAYING STRAIGHT….AND MY GAY-DAR GOES OFF EVERY TIME I SEE THAT BEAUTIFUL CREATURE ON MY TV, THANK YOU! ; 9 P

Um, LMAO! Three-Some and/or Callie NOT Arizona….Lauren is attracted to Arizona NOT Callie…and why NOT a temporary Open Relationship….you know, so Arizona can deal with the stuff she has not dealt with, yet….Callie actually, suggesting-it or Arizona admitting the flrtation, big fight, and Callies tells Arizona to go do what she NEEDS to do…but, maybe in Mark’s Apartment…in we might see Lauren every so-often in Season 10….essentially, a “break” with Arizona moved into Mark’s old Apartment!?

29. Littleowl says:

Everybody calm down! Arizona won’t do anything! Why? Cuz she said to Callie – Please don’t run. I can’t lose you. They will talk to each other finally and open their souls. Maybe that talk would make them see they need a break, just for a while. And then they will start from the beginning, with real wedding and all. They have a beautiful kid together, for god’s sake, there’s not going to be any cheating and flings. I just don’t buy it. Writers gave them a lot to deal with thru seasons, and they always ended up together. You just don’t cheat on person who stood by you thru your darkest days. And if Shonda goes that way, she will ruin all she was making for those characters. With that, Calzona’s relationship will lose any sense at all. Arizona and Callie love each other, you don’t cheat if you still in love, you cheat cuz you don’t love that person anymore or want something better. Sorry, but this Lauren/Arizona thing will never happen. Lauren will just be a person who will raise AZ’s confidence. Sometimes it’s easier to talk to a stranger than someone you know, and tell him all your real problems. Arizona and Callie are good. I know, and all of you know that. Deep down, we all know that. And it’s a tv show. They must make some shocking announcements so that we watch! Lots of drama so that we talk about it. But, in the end, they will never do anything to jeopardize fun foundation. Everything will be fine. One way or another. You’ll see. Peace!

P.s. Sorry on bad English!:))

• Gargy1975 says:

Fine, we agree with the “break” part…for the rest….to make-it up to me….kill Derek….Alex/Jo marry and live happily ever after, same with April/Jackson and Bailey becomes “The Nazi” again, bring back Addison and Derek’s “recovering” addict sister (that about Addison and Baby Shepard”, that might happen in actuality…read an articles about it…however, they just might be re-curring….like Lauren is.’…*hint, hint*)….and Webber and Ms. Avery get married and she takes control as Director of The Board) ….that should do me for now! ;9P

• blancaster60 says:

As you know by now, you were sooooo wrong. Arizona cheated on Callie, big time.

30. Emma says:

Maybe I’m being naive but I don’t think Arizona will cheat, firstly Callie has already been cheated on, so that’s been done. My thought’s are it’s more about Arizona as a person post-plane crash where she relishes the attention and realizes people can still find her attractive (How could they not?) There will be temptation there but the audience and fans would most likely turn on Arizona if she cheated and Shonda knows that, there is only so far you can push a couple and I like to believe Shonda knows that as well. But if Arizona were to cheat, I would still love her, but as a Calzona fan I would be really really pissed!

31. Steve says:

You guys are assuming that Cary’s firm is going to happen or work

32. Lau says:

It would be so out of character for Arizona to cheat. It doesn’t make any sense, especially after all they have been through! If they follow this way, I’ll definitely think Shonda’s run out of ideas… I love Arizona!!

• Gargy1975 says:

Just look at. last Season Finale….stupid move….the Season 7 Finale….keep your eyes on the road…and some where in the last 2 2 Seasons prior…..Callie wants baby….Arizona runs- off to Africa…..um, any patgern there….how about all bi-women and/ or lesbianstaff that Arizona made her way through BEFORE committing to Callie? Arizona is NOT knoen for being prudent….and not just jumping into trouble heD first…..it is a pattern with Arizona….sorry! ;9P

33. Ted says:

This will be interesting to see how this will end for Calzona. OMG can’t wait, if Shonda is doing something to destroy Calzona every Calzonafan will NOT be happy with Shonda after all they have been struggling this season to come back to normal Calzona love.

34. Woodmeister says:

Another soap opera contrivance. No one is allowed to be happy for very long on this show.

35. Andrea Burke says:

Arizona will be tempted by Lauren because she needs to feel she is still attractive not just to her wife however she won’t cheat because she will talk to Callie first and they will work it out.

36. jc says:

A threesome?

37. JBC says:

Could it be that they want to break up Callie and Arizona permanently, and either send Arizona packing to another state or kill her off, and keep Lauren as the new love interest as a regular character?

• Sheila says:

It has been a while since Shonda killed someone off. She must be getting twitchy!

• Leigh says:

That’s possible. But Jessica Capshaw keeps tweeting about how blessed she is to be on the show and actors who’ve just lost their jobs tend not to be as forthcoming with positive endorsements of the folks who’ve just fired them. I’m 99.9% sure it’s cheating and Calzona as we know them have their worst breakup yet.

• Tania says:

Capshaw’s not leaving. Hilarie Burton’s character is just a catalyst for whatever is happening tonight. She won’t be staying. If Callie and Arizona DO break up, it will not be a permanent break. They belong together. And it was a writer who questioned whether anyone is MFEO, not Shonda. The guy was just being provocative.

38. Gargy1975 says:

In the episode’s synopsis for part-1….it does say a WOMAN DOCTOR WILL GET A SHOCK OF A LIFETIME! ;9P

So, I am figuring somehow that will fit into the part-2 (maybe) Calazona table read that left the cast gasping and falling into shocked silence….or it could be refering to the synopsis, I just gave you! ;9P

39. Lisa says:

I would have a hard time excepting AZ being unfaithful, after Callie has stood by her through all her hatefulness and cruelty toward her this season. I cant help it, but just the thought of her cheating has me disliking her character and feeling that Callie deserves so much better already, and it hasn’t even happened yet.

On the other hand, the only thing I can think of ( other than some violent act by one of them) that might have been shocking, is if there is a revelation that Callie has cheated or had a longer term affair during this season’s journey. And THAT I feel somewhat accepting of, again due to AZ’s cruel behavior towards her wife.

40. Calzona777 says:

Uhhhhh something about me reading that last paragraph over and over makes me feel like it doesn’t have to be something bad. The word “breath taking” can be interpreted in many ways, as in a sweet moment, or crap our pants bad moment….why break them up after the roller coaster throughout the season? Callie has been amazing to Arizona throughout her recovery, Arizona is just feeling wanted again and it is validation and a consolation to her that she’s still sexy. Maybe this will make Callie focus on her more…we all know around season finale time things are thrown at us, and we can spin it how we want to console ourselves. I’m doing the same, I just can’t deal with the Calzona split, doesn’t make sense to do it permanently they love each other too much, maybe a break but this doesn’t add up! Maybe it’s something Arizona needs to do to feel normal again, maybe she feels Callie doesn’t feel attracted to her after the limb loss, or she thinks Callie is way too comfortable and wants to shock her, but again you don’t do those things to ppl u love, they will have some discussing to do….time will only tell.

41. Ari says:

What if this big shocking moment has something to do with a fight and then AZ finds out that Alex cut off her leg and not Callie. She has all this resentment and anger towards her wife for the amputation but she still doesn’t know about Alex performing the surgery. Nobody has told her yet, so maybe that is brought up again. This season is all about Arizona’s struggle to become the woman that she was prior to the accident, so why should it end in cheating on Callie? They are finally working towards fixing their relationship and doing things that they haven’t done since last season, and when she still had her leg. Think about it, would Shonda really want us to hate her more?

42. Danielle says:

Has anyone considered that Arizona will feel empowered and sexy again, and then just pounce Callie? Then they’ll talk it out, and the “emotional death” will have nothing to do with CalZona, and maybe a different couple?

Just a thought.

43. Aiexe says:

Ok, NO SHONDA. You cannot make Arizona cheat on Callie or vice versa or kill one of them off. NO. Callie almost died, Arizona lost her leg, and both of them stuck together through it. They have a daughter together and are in love. You do not just lose your leg and ALMOST lose the love of your life and sing “I am the universe and you” to her and then cheat on her. NO COÑO. NO.

44. AnaaKaay says:

I think shonda is just making us freak out and think the worst , and as soon as we watch the episode (3 more long days) callie and Arizona will realize and rekindle the love that they’ve always had but sort of strayed away from in this past season! so I believe they will be better than ever <3 I hope if not ill cry :O !

• calzona777 says:

Shonda did say we will see the outcome of this “new development” in their last scene in the season finale. I don’t partcularly like the wording “their last scene”. That can be mis read into ok “their last scene as a couple together?” I sure can’t deal with that!!! We know Shonda has a way of hyping fans up then twists it, I really want this couple to survive and I hope that this is just a hurdle for them to cross together. The most I could accept worst case is a little break nothing more!!!

• Leigh says:

Not to be gloom and doom here, but if Calzona wind up happily together at the end, why would that leave the cast shocked into silence? The only thing, to my way of thinking, that would cause the cast to react in such a manner during a table read is if something negative happens because something positive would put Callie and Arizona pretty much back to where they were before Lauren’s arrival: not perfect, but not shocking either.

45. Lisa says:

So Arizona cheats! She’s been through a lot physically and maybe cheating is part of the emotional trauma she’s endured. Think about it. She lost a part of herself physically and also emotionally in the plane accident. Maybe she needs to know that she’s attractive, wanted, needed, desired…by someone other than Callie. Callie is a safety…she’s “obligated by marriage” to want her; so maybe, just maybe, Arizona needs more than Callie can give her. Trauma can cause more than phathom limb pain…it can cause you, YOU, internally to need something or someone from the outside of your comfort zone to show YOU just how to completely recover. Yes recover… Also, this is simply amazing storytelling with great actors giving us a lovely roller coaster ride of an escape. Enjoy.

46. Heloisa says:

Insane, how is it an earned moment for Arizona to cheat on Callie after all she put up with her recover?

• calzona777 says:

Majorily disappointed in Arizona. Leg amputation or not, kissing is cheating and Callie surely doesn’t deserve that, after all that she has been through and the support she gave Arizona. All of the sweet moments beteeen Calzona just disappeared thanks to that scene. What happened to the Calzona that discussed things when things weren’t right? What was she thinking? She always does something to mess up Callie, I was really liking her character but she seems like she has deeper issues which includes not being able to commit I hope Callie walks in on them! Wow this girl has been through a lot, and as much as I hope and wish they could get past this, I don’t see anything good happening with them anytime soon…but why make a fave couple last right??? It’s Shonda after all!

• Leigh says:

It isn’t. Cheating is never “earned.”

47. Lisa says:

Cheating “earned”?? Pretty hard to swallow that bit of logic; however, I can understand Shonda wanting to take back Grey’s from the fans. Grey’s is an amazing show, but it has been lagging a bit for a while, because it has been catering to our (fans) wants of our favorites. Remember how it started? How intertwined the storylines and characters were and how we (fans) cared although the character may have not been our favorites; but, they affected our favorites somehow. What I am trying to get to is this: Grey’s has strayed a bit and needs to get on track again for next season not to seem like the same old same old.

As fans, if the writers give us what we want then it gets BORING and not much of a challenge. Now, think of the actors portraying our favorites? Just saying.

Any how, Arizona cheated…so now we go through the gauntlet with her to see and understand the why. And also the effects it has on her relationship with her family (Callie & Sophia) and the other doctors. Every one, EVERY ONE on this planet in some capacity affects the life of someone else. So, we’ll see how Season 10 goes.

48. Simi says:

I don’t think that Calzona will break up…otherwise this sentence of Shonda wouldn’t give sense: “It’s the culmination of a [season-long] journey for these two characters.” And i my eyes the season-long journey for them was finding them again, like they were…in the beginning. And if not…i keep my hopes high at Mr. Torres…throwing Arizona against the wall… ;-)

49. malina says:

Dear people, has no one ever considered the fact that Arizona HAS AN AMPUTATED LEG AND LAUREN DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE? Really, it took ages for Arizona to realize Callie found her just as sexy and appealing as she did before, and what maes you think she’ll just be like: “Screw the leg, I’m having sex with Lauren.”?
    And honestly, I don’t think Lauren would be so indifferent to her nonexsistent leg becuse remember, she does not love Arizona like Callie does. Chill, folks.

• teo says:

Lauren read evetything about Arizona on the internet !!! you didn’t pay atention !!! she knew she lost her leg……and didn’t care !!!!