Emilie De Ravin Previews Once Upon a Time's Sexy Switcheroo, Teases 'Sweet' Season 3 Twist

Once Upon a Time Preview Belle Rumple FinaleABC’s Once Upon a Time returns Sunday at 8/7c with the first of Season 2’s final four episodes, kicking off with a tale in which Regina pulls a fast one on longtime foe Mr. Gold by turning his sweet love into a tart. Emilie De Ravin spoke with TVLine about Belle’s racy Lacey reversal, how the May 12  finale tees up an “anything goes” Season 3, and the times she most feels Lost on the set.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bosses Preview Season 2′s Final Four Episodes

TVLINE | Going into “Lacey,” what would you say is Belle’s current view of Mr. Gold? Because he seemed to move her a little bit a few weeks ago with his deathbed phone call. Though she was terribly frightened by him after the accident, is she coming around?
She’s coming around in a respect. As far as the phone call, that was probably the most emotional feeling she’s had since she was shot and forgot her identity. You can’t deny the honesty in his voice and neither can she, yet she can’t remember, so it’s this awful struggle of this man telling you who you are and all these beautiful things about you and that he’s in love with and wanting desperately to believe this. Even though there’s been the cup throwing and some not-so-trusting moments with him, he’s still really the only one who cares about her. She knows that even if she’s confused and pissed off about not remembering [their relationship], it’s pretty obvious that he’s not coming to see her to annoy her.

TVLINE | So then, what brings “Lacey” to Storybrooke?
Oh, the Evil One of course. [Laughs] Belle was never implanted with a Storybrooke memory, since she was locked away for 28 years and it was not necessary to give her one, so to mess with Mr. Gold, as per usual, Regina says she will give me my memory back but gives me “Lacey” instead.

TVLINE | And in what ways is Lacey different from Belle?
The script description is “scantily-clad bar whore,” but not in a provocative way. Yes, it’s in a sexy way, but not because she’s trying to draw attention. She just likes dressing like that! She’s fun. She’s happy where she is. She’s not an adventurer, so the bar (named The Rabbit Hole) is kind of like home. She probably plays pool there every night with the same people and does shots, she’s probably pretty irresponsible with money, a girl who’s just living life….

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek — Emma and Neal Talk About Returning ‘Home’

TVLINE | After more than enough weeks of sitting in that hospital bed, was it fun for you to let loose?
Oh, yeah. But I was not in the bed that long, physically, so it was all right. It was actually quite comfortable! I’d stay there between takes.

TVLINE | Regardless of this identity swap, might the episode offer “Rumbelle” fans some pleasing moments?
It’s going to give the Rumbelle fans some “interesting” moments, good and bad.

TVLINE | Personally, have you been itching for Belle to get her memory back, to resume that storyline with Robert Carlyle?
Oh yes. I’m looking forward to that, but at the same time a challenge is always a lot of fun. Playing, in this episode at least, Belle/Lacey and then Fairytale Belle — where it’s one day doing one, the next the other — is challenging but in a fun way. Lacey’s nice to have around for a bit.

RELATED | Will Once Upon a Time Lose ‘Tamara’ to The Walking Dead?

TVLINE | Meanwhile in the Fairytale Land That Was…. What’s going on?
There is a thief (Robin Hood, played by Tom Ellis) who tried to steal something from Rumple — and Rumple of course doesn’t like that. There’s a bit of “torture,” shall we say? But when sweet Belle decides to set the thief free, Rumplestiltskin forces her on this hunt to find him. This Fairytale Land portion in “Lacey” takes place between him kicking me out of the castle and me going to fight the Yaoguai.

TVLINE | How would you tease the Season 2 finale?
It’s going to be big. One of the elements at play is, “Do we go home? Do we not?” There’s arguing about that, because that’s a pretty big decision. There’s also the matter of what’s going to happen to Storybrooke’s existence, seeing as it could be a bit in danger. We also see Hook’s ship again, in a pretty big way.

TVLINE | Is this a finale where lives are left in jeopardy? Or is it more about, “What the hell is Season 3 going to look like?”
I can’t tell you anything on the first [question], but yes, Season 3 could be anything, which is pretty sweet.

TVLINE | With fellow Lost alumni Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz running Once, has there been any one particular moment where you really felt serious déjà vu?
Whenever we see smoke! [Laughs] Or like with the wraith, I’m like, “It’s not the wraith — it’s the Smoke Monster!”

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. sara says:

lol I would say ‘well done, Regina’ but I’m sure poor, simpering brainwashed Belle will be back soon enough.

• Brian says:

Sounds like you just described Regina. The crying woman who acts like a victim when she does something cruel to someone and lets Cora and Rumple control her.

• Cass says:

The poor, simpering Belle who never whine about being imprisoned for thirty years, called Rumple on it whenever he did something wrong, stood up for werewolf Ruby, rescued Archie, and bested Hook twice (all in about 20 minutes total screentime)? Yeah, I’ll have her back any day.

• I’m guessing Sara was talking about poor simpering brainwashed memory-deprived hospital bed-bound Belle.

• Cass says:

You’re probably right (though even poor amnesiac Belle didn’t simper) but her other comments about Rumple “brainwashing” Belle made me think she was trying to describe the real Belle–the one who is awesome and brave and loving and makes her own decisions and, unlike *some* people (cough, Regina, cough) takes responsibility for them.

2. sara says:

I still find it concerning when Emilie says something like “He’s the only one who cares about her”. It just makes it sound so creepy. Because she’s got a father, friends, etc but the man who bought her and abused her is the ” still really the only one who cares about her”. Healthy.

• Jesse says:

Her father tried to mind rape her, he really does’t care a bout her. Who visited her in the hospital besides Gold? Only Ruby, but she lied to Belle and stood by and did nothing while the nurse uneccasarily sedated her.

• sara says:

As opposed to the man who bought her, abuses her and brainwashed her into thinking he’s a good person?

• sara says:

And her father may have been wrong and went about it really, really the wrong way but he wanted to protect her from an abuser who is known, with good reason, for being a vicious murderer and whom Belle believes is good.

• darlene says:

Abused and brainwashed her ok????? seriously I think you’ve been watching a completely different show. He’s the only one who cares about her in the whole SB and the only one who treats her right.

• RJ says:

He didn’t buy her. Belle willingly went with him as part of a deal to save her family, friends and village from the ogre wars. And he certainly didn’t brainwash her into thinking he was “good”. He insisted that he was a monster, he did not see the good in himself, but she saw it in him. Personally I think it’s a beautiful love story about someone who is willing to look beyond the superficial to find what really matters. Why such anger and hatred for something that is so sweet?

• sara says:

Sorry, you’re right, coercing someone into leaving their family, friends and way of life behind FOREVER as a means of payment so all those people don’t die horribly is absolutely not the same as buying. Her seeing it in him is where the brainwashing comes in. She told Hook that he was lying when told that Rumple murdered his wife in cold blood and that Rumple had a pure heart. The very same episode he beat someone almost to death and permanently transformed another into a small animal. Through the next few he threatened to kill multiple people, orchestrated the death of ANOTHER lover and even after she told him not to come near her, kissed her while she was sleeping so she wouldn’t object. If those aren’t things that matter, I don’t know what is.

• RJ says:

Guess we all have our own way of seeing this. I find it all very sweet and romantic and you see it in a very different way. We’ll never agree.

• sara says:

Well, sure. We are conditioned to find abusive relationships romantic. But I let’s be real here, trying to call a young woman seeing the “good” inside a much, much violent serial murderer and abuser who peddles in women and children ‘sweet’ and ‘romantic’ is pushing it.

• Cass says:

Father who wanted to erase her personality. “Friends” who ignore her or lie to her continuously or stand around watching her be forcibly drugged. “Health-care” providers who knock her out rather than providing therapy. “Protectors” who can’t even be bothered to put a watch on her door so that evil witches can’t zonk her unconscious with magic. Yeah, Belle’s got so many people on her side.

3. JTP says:

“scantily-clad bar whore” Really? Was that word really necessary? Gross gross gross.

4. Elly says:

I’m sorry I just do not see the sexual chemistry between the too. I love them both as actors but it just seems too close to a father-daughter relationship. It just puts a damper on the storyline because its just not as natural as the other relationships.

• Crysania says:

Wow really? There’s SO much chemistry there. Or is this just a reaction to the age difference? I’ve seen a lot that flying around, but have no issues with larger age gaps between couples (of course, her 30ish to Rumple’s 300ish might be pushing it just a bit! lol).

• Elly says:

No. Age differences like that really aren’t that big a deal, in real life they are only like 14 years apart I think. It just feels so forced to me. Like the age difference between Mark and Lexie on Grey’s was like 18-20 years but they had a really natural pull. But with them, like I can see Rumple definitely in love with Belle but it just doesn’t seem comfortable for Belle. Like it almost seemed like Regina and Rumple had more chemistry and heat. But it could also be Emilie De Ravin. Because on Lost, Charlie and Claire were my favorite couple and whenever she did kids him, it never seemed passionate even though all their other moments seemed genuine real.

• Cass says:

I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder, because I think they have more chemistry than any other couple I’ve seen in ages. They’ve had one real kiss (the one after their reunion) and I thought it burned off my screen. I agree with you about Charlie and Claire, though, I ascribe it to Charlie.

• Elly says:

That’s possible, I guess it’s hard to tell because I’ve never seen them kiss anyone else because I’ve only seen them on these shows lol.

And thank you for having a normal convo and not being a weirdo that jumps down my throat because they are such hardcore fans lol. I’m a huge fan of the show but I’d never attack anyone over it. I’ve seen ppl get so mean because someone disagrees with them over a fictional couple!

5. Reynold says:

Great interview! I’m really looking forward to this episode. Always nice to see more Belle and I find the Rumpel and Belle relationship to be the most interesting on the show.

6. Rena says:

Can’t wait to see this episode. I love Rumbelle, but it will be fun to see how Gold interacts with Lacey. Robert and Emilie have the greatest chemistry and he is always remarkable in every scene.

7. Jenny says:

“This Fairytale Land portion in “Lacey” takes place between him kicking me out of the castle and me going to fight the Yaoguai” – this doesn’t make sense. In other interviews she says that the scenes take place while she’s still wearing the gold gown – that’s way before he sends her away. And if you look at the sneak peak, the scene is well before she knows that there is good in him and well before true love’s kiss.

8. Willa says:

Can’t wait for this episode, I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for it! I love Rumbelle and Belle so much! Excited for Robin Hood too!

9. Catherine says:

Love Rumbelle! <3 I'm surprised people are bothered about their age difference. Rumple is 300 years old. An 80-year old could be considered too young! ;) For some reason, these two haven't been allowed to show much of their sexual chemistry/tension, because, believe me, they could really smoke it if the producers let them. There was a deleted scene from their episode in Season 1 that was HOT, HOT, HOT but got cut because it was still too early in their relationship.

And I agree with Jenny. It doesn't make any sense for the FTL scenes in Lacey to take place after Belle was thrown out of his castle. This should be closer to the time she chipped the cup and well before they kissed, which revealed that they have true love.

• RJ says:

Yes, even an 80 year old would be too young! I never even thought about the age difference since these two seem so perfect for one another. In my mind the age is just the same as the beastly looks. It’s skin deep and Belle is all about finding the real someone below the superficial layers.

• crysania4 says:

Oh that deleted scene. It was GORGEOUS. I heard there were more. I hope someday they’ll let us see them.

I thought her description of the time was off too. It’s pretty clear this takes place early on. At least, that was what I saw it as. I don’t know how it would take place AFTER he threw her out. He never saw her again.

10. yolina says:

Yaaaay for more Emilie! I really love love love these two!

11. Khorrie says:

Yawn. Belle has to be the most boring character ever. Don’t care about her new personality – though it’s nice to hear she’s actually getting one – and don’t care about her and Rumpel’s ridiculously whacko “relationship”. I hope next season they use all this time they’ve wasted on her giving Ruby something interesting to do instead of babysitting Henry all the time.

• Maria says:

But I thought Meghan Ory has a new show next year with Josh Holloway for CBS?

• Evan says:

She does but everyone seems to be thinking that OUAT will still get to borrow her about as often as they usually do. Putting her in the main credits never seemed like a good idea because wasn’t a main part of everything like everyone else. But she’ll no doubt still be recurring.

12. Cass says:

I’ve been waiting for more Belle since January, and more fairy-tale Rumbelle since “Skin Deep.” Sunday can’t come soon enough.

13. Len1 says:

Looking forward to see this version of Robin Hood. I cant say i am fussed about Rumbelle, i dont ship as such but i can see why they work and why it makes sense! she chose him! :)

Yay for Hook – “We also see Hook’s ship again, in a pretty big way”. I am thinking we going through a portal ;)

14. Maria says:

I guess it won’t be Rumbelle anymore. Bring on the Racey! Lol.

15. Evan says:

Hmmmm, seems no one made the connection that essentially Regina’s giving Rumple back his ex wife. Possibly minus the infidelity.

16. Babybop says:

Wait… Did Once get renewed and I missed it? Ha ha.