FX Renews Justified, Shares Horror Story: Coven Premiere Plan, Moves 4 Series to FXX Channel

Justified RenewedIt’s party time in Harlan County: FX has renewed Justified for a fifth season.

The cabler broke the news at its annual upfront presentation Thursday morning in New York, one of several big announcements coming out of the event.

Justified wraps up its current fourth season (the show’s highest-rated yet) on Tuesday. Season 5 will bow in January 2014.

PHOTOS | TV’s 15 Most Empowering Women — and Their 10 Hapless Counterparts

Other headlines from FX’s upfront soiree:

* FX’s spin-off net, FXX, launches Sept. 2 and will target young adults 18-34 (vs. FX’s 18-49). The new channel, which replaces Fox Soccer, will be anchored by soon-to-be-former FX staples It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (renewed for a 10th season) and The League (renewed for a fifth and sixth season). Legit (renewed for Season 2) and Totally Biased with Kamau Bell (morphing into a five-times-a-week series) will also relocate to FXX.

* FX’s new branding tagline is… “Fearless.”

* Season 2 of recently-renewed drama The Americans will premiere in January 2014.

PHOTOS | 7 Shows that Should Follow Veronica Mars‘ Kickstarter Lead (and 3 that Shouldn’t)

* As per tradition, American Horror Story: Coventhe third chapter in Ryan Murphy’s creeptastic anthology — will roll out in time for Halloween.

* The fourth season of Louie will debut in May 2014.

* The new Diane Kruger-Demián Bichir drama The Bridge premieres in July; a trailer played at the upfront looked dark, gritty and thus FX-like..

* FX has formally greenlit a limited series based on the 1996 pic FargoJoel and Ethan Coen, who helmed the film, will produce. Production begins in December.

* The pilot for Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain, EP’d by del Toro and Lost‘s Carlton Cuse, starts production this summer. Landgraf said the prospective series will “reinvent the vampire horror drama,” while del Toro promises “a unique biological approach” to vampirism.

1. b miller says:

THAT’S THE BEST NEWS OF THE RENEWAL SEASON!!!!!!!!!!

• Jason says:

Indeed it is! One of the best shows currently on TV.

• Leah says:

I didn’t realize until right now how everything else mattered so little in comparison. This was the one I’ve been waiting to hear. Seasons 1-3 are now free on Amazon Prime… go check it out!

• The Beach says:

The writing on Justified is the best on TV right now. The plots are great, the lines are clever and witty and the actors are top-notch, from the leads to all the supporting cast. Great show.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I 100% agree. And the Emmys will forget all of this by the time nominations roll out. :( I hope they at least give a nod to Walton Goggins and maybe a couple guest stars. I’m particularly rooting for Abby Miller (Ellen May) to get one. And I wouldn’t say no to seeing Ron Eldard and Patton Oswalt get in there either.

• Tbone85 says:

I think this is the best written show since The Wire. Every year I think at the beginning of the season it’s going to be a let down because the previous years have been so good, but by episode 3 I’m hooked again!

• evoc says:

Agree. But we have to wait nearly a year!? The horror!!!!!!!

• I am hoping the writers of Justified bring up the reason why Ava killed Delroy, Ellen May seems to have forgotten that Ava did it to save her life. That needs to be brought up and that Ellen May isn’t innocent, she asked Ava to help her.

• Justified is the best show on TV. It is unique and one of a kind. Don’t change any of the players. They all fit and play their parts as it were real life. This is what a viewer wants to see. Great job! Everyone on Justified.

2. Elyse says:

my dad is obsessed with this show. he will be so happy! i wish they would put it in netflix so i can check it out!

3. Roberta says:

Best show on tv. Great news.

4. MGL says:

I do love the show, I just hope they are not killing off Winona and the baby. That would be too cruel.

• skytzo425 says:

I doubt they’re going to kill them off but the chick that plays her is a main character in FOX’s The Following, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up that she’ll be on the show more than a couple more Times. Esspecially because both shows run at the same time of year.

• Winona is half the reason I watch the show!! I got so hooked on the show it is amazing. I love the fact that this is the only TV show that really portrays this “world”. Great lines, great charcter development. Love Art!

5. Magically Suspicious says:

Best show on television. They’d be crazy to cancel it. Terriers-level crazy.

• filmex2000 says:

If “Terriers” had launched on the USA Network, it would still be on. They know how to market (and name) their series.

6. The League FB page says they have been renewed as well. For an additional, sixth season. Shiva Kamini Soma Kandarkram! \o/

• Elly says:

The League is easily one of the funniest shows on television. Thank you FX for recognizing it!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

It’s funny this news came out today, because I just got season 3 of The League for my birthday and am rewatching it today at work. Shhh, don’t tell anyone. :) I’m up to the Au Pair episodes, which are probably my favorite in the entire series.

• filmex2000 says:

We “The League” fans should celebrate its renewal but be worried that it will now be on FXX because if history has taught us anything, it’s that cable/satellite companies are often slow to add new channels, especially spin-off channels. “The League’s” new season could begin with many fans unable to access it.

7. Donna says:

So happy to hear this…hope EVERYONE will be back…Raylan,.Boyd, Ava, of course AL….one of the BEST series ever..

8. Missy Kelly says:

Watched this week’s episode last night and when it was over, I thought – I hate that finale is next – I hate have to wait until next year ’cause I just want to see what Boyd & Ava do next. Still wondering how Johnny has managed to live so long. Need additional episodes just to figure that out!

• The Beach says:

Why Walter Goggins (Boyd) hasn’t won a Supporting Actor Emmy is a mystery to me.

• The Beach says:

*Walton…sorry

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I always think that’s the most competitive category in all of the Emmys. I think Walton could have won a couple years back if Game of Thrones and Peter Dinklage hadn’t existed. Dinklage is so good on that show though that it’s hard to begrudge his win. And now this year they’re all going to have it to fight it out with Breaking Bad actors, because you know Jonathan Banks and Aaron Paul have to be getting nominated. I’m rooting for Walton though, for sure. Or Mandy Patinkin. Or Bobby Cannavale! Or…or Jonathan Banks! Lol, that category rips me apart every year. There are always too many good choices.

• Roses C says:

I love the whole show, I am so glad a quality show has been renewed. Boyd was great in the SHIELD also. Justified is a show taken from a book by Elmore Leonard, who wrote a great many great books. A lot of greatness here.

• skytzo425 says:

I know, I hate it that these great shows on FX only get 13 episodes per season, they should do like 20.

• Tim says:

Wish it would be back before January

9. Rae says:

Best news and best show!! I’m obsessed with Justified!!!

10. WW says:

The best thing for shows like Justified is Amazon or Netflix – I never watched the show because if I tend not to catch a show from the beginning I wont watch – then I watched the first episode on Amazon a few weeks ago and was hooked – spent a week watching 4 season and then jumped on board this season and gladly waited for the next episode. The same thing happen to me with Mad Men , Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy and Newsroom.

Producers and Newtworks shouldnt look at Amazon, and Netflix as the emeny or just a source of revenue but a way to grow their audience to the regular broadcast once they get hooked to the show.

Congrats to Glenn Yost and the crew at Justified.

• Justin says:

I absolutly agree. I decided to give it a try and bought an episode on iTunes. It was Amazing. I immediately bought the whole first season so I would be caught up when season 2 started. (I did the same thing with Grimm except that was with Netflix) The networks got a new viewer and free PR from me telling all my friends about the shows. That never would have happened if I wasn’t able to catch up via streaming or DVDs.

• Pat D. says:

Its also a way to avoid getting sucked in to a serial drama in its first season, and then to have them rip your heart out by cancelling it before season 2.

11. RichieS says:

The best thing about Justified beside the terrific chemistry between Tim Olyphant and Walton Goggins is the wonderful acting and writing that goes into the villains. Kudos to Margo Martindale, Mykelti Williams, and most recently Jim Beaver for their portrayals and to the writers that made them have awesome depth of character.

• Julie says:

I absolutely agree. That’s what I find so amazing about Justified every season- the villians are so complex. Many times you find yourself feeling sympathy for them and that’s rare.

12. scorpionglow says:

Did anyone really expect that they wouldn’t renew it? This show is one of the absolute best on television. Like many other posters, I hate that the season is so short, but I love the richness of each episode. Aspects of this season have been a bit dull, but these last few episodes have been amazing. Looking forward to next week’s finale.

13. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

Fearless indeed. Kisses all around.

14. Georgia Madman says:

I still haven’t seen season 1 of Justified. I started at the beginning of season 2 (go Mags!)based on a rave review by a friend, Been following faithfully since then and am so happy its been renewed. I watch over a half dozens shows each week and Justified is my favorite by far. You never really can anticipate what’s going to happen. Oh, and all my buds who watch the show LOVE Ava — she’s crazy cool!

• Pat D. says:

If nothing else, you are missing the phenomenal ending that Season 1 provided.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

You really need to go back and watch season one. :) It’s got some good stuff with Raylan and his dad, and Raylan and Boyd, and Raylan and Ava, and you get to know the Crowder family a lot better. Plus you get to see Dan Dority from Deadwood in one of the episodes. Bonus!

15. lisa says:

FX is moving towards HBO level of respect with its original series lately. I don’t hate it at allll. Props to John Landgraf for not being afraid to take risks on shows like nip/tuck, justified, sons of anarchy, and horror story. It’s paying off in spades when it comes to quality.

16. Mike says:

Absolutely FANTASMICAL !!!!!!!

17. borntorun12 says:

All this FX news is stellar. Justified, The League, Sunny, and I’m especially happy about Legit. Favorite new comedy!

18. Colleen says:

Does the re-branding of Fox Soccer mean that the carriers who carry it now will carry this new channel?

19. jasie says:

Really hope FX picks up The Strain to series. Such a great book trilogy.

20. “the prospective series will “reinvent the vampire horror drama,” while del Toro promises “a unique biological approach” to vampirism.” make sure they don’t sparkle…

21. Roni says:

Totally Biased becoming a five-nights-a-week series is the best news ever, but I’m worried I won’t be getting the new FXX channel, since my cable package doesn’t currently include Fox Soccer (or FXM). I can’t tell you how much I love this show. I’ll be gutted if I can’t watch it anymore.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

If you’re talking about Justified, I don’t think you have to worry about that. Justified will be staying on FX as will its other dramas. The new channel is going to be more for FX’s current comedies. So those of us who watch Louie and The League who don’t get FXX are going to be screwed. Guess I have probably six months still until I have to change my cable package…

22. Susan says:

YEAH !! How about a few more episodes … 13 is not enough …

23. Peggy says:

Great news about Justified!!! Hey FX- I love ” The League” and I am not 18-34, heck I am not even 18-49. LOL!

24. B says:

FXX… Worst name ever.

25. Carrie says:

Awesome!! I love this show. It’s definitely one of the best on TV and it keeps getting better.

26. rmcepp says:

So happy to hear JUSTIFIED renewed. I am a huge fan of Elmore Leonard, who wrote the original book, and is involved in the TV show. Raylon and Boyd are simply doing a great job. Boyd was also in THE SHIELD and was great in that also.

27. BL says:

Any new updates on SOA today? Great news about Justified but it’s not surprising.

• A.Rae says:

Kurt Sutter said he would try and post a video from upfronts, so hopefully we’ll have some info if not any concrete news about S7. If you are an SOA fan and aren’t already following him on his site or twitter, do yourself a favor and look into it. The insight into the creative process he gives the fans is one of the best things about SOA…

28. R.O.B. says:

Funny – just read the Strain (no spoilers). Decent book but completely lacked character depth, which is odd for a book (never mind one cowritten by delToro). The TV series will do a better job of that, I hope!

29. No news on Archer or SOA? No doubt in my mind but like to make it official.

30. Breck says:

Love Justified…..awesome crossover quote from this season, Jim Beaver “BALLS!!!!” just like Bobby from Supernatural….loved it

31. RobMF says:

I love It’s Always Sunny, glad it got the 10th season. So at least we’ll be getting 2 more seasons of the show… but seriously? Moving it to a new network that most people don’t even get? Come on.

32. Pacrobe says:

And no one talks about “Anger Management” Probably Fx’s worst mistake (creatively, at least)

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Over on the AV Club, they refer to Anger Management as “the show that pays for more episodes of Louie.” When you look at it in terms like that, it makes me a little more fine with Anger Management’s existence.

33. Jim Stickann says:

Best show on TV (Justified) bar none. Only reason to stay up past 9PM on Tuesdays.

34. Britta Unfiltered says:

Get out the bourbon, put on some bluegrass music, and let’s do some clogging! I guess I wasn’t too worried about the renewal. The producer said on the season 4 commentary track that the show was popular enough that they thought it would go at least through a 6th season. I am surprised about The League though. Terrific news, and two seasons! However, I’m pretty sure I won’t get FXX as part of my cable package, so that’s a worry. Not sure I can afford the upgrade. I am surprised FX is doing this split by having two channels. They really don’t have enough shows to air to be justifying that kind of decision.

35. Broadwayfan says:

Boy Howdy!! Makes me happier’n a hog in slop!!
    More of the best dialogue on TV!

36. Ruby says:

Awesome news about Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell. I love that show.

37. Warren says:

Any chance that they will show more nudity on the FXX considering that the target audience is slightly younger.That would be awesome :)_

38. Arnell says:

I love Justified! A fan since S1! Raylan & Winona are still my favorite characters. I want more scenes between them!

39. Greg Andrews says:

No one has mentioned Jeremy Davies’s incredible performance as Dickie Bennett, I hope he returns in season 5 in some way without getting killed off. Great actor, he was an unsung hero of Season 2 I believe.

40. Jay Lamm says:

Justified is best show on TV. Was worried at beginning of season 4, but it finally kicked in and now rivals season 2. No one has mentioned Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy. Burns is great at comedy and drama. As far as talking about Emmy nominees…I have been a fan of Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) since his days on Wiseguy, another one of TV’s great shows. Too bad Ken Wahl lost it and ruined the show.

41. Kathy says:

I love the show Justified and Timothy Olyphant! Why hasn’t Tim been nominated each year for an Emmy ! He is a terrific actor, writer and producer! So glad it has been renewed ! I love the chemistry between Raylon and Winona! Natalie Zea is great as well!

42. Chrissy Mckenzie says:

I love this show. I guess because I live in harlan country Kentucky :-)

43. Bob says:

Justified was long on language and violence this season, but shorter on plot and characters. Obviously, their choice was popular. I’ll continue to watch as long as Nick Searcy & Walton Goggins are on.

44. Kate says:

Way to go Justified. Everything is smart about this show. The cast members are fantastic. Have to agree Dickie was a great character. Love the writing and I don’t mind it’s slow in places gives you a chance to enjoy the characters more. I would love 20 episodes to but then maybe there would be some dud episodes as well. This way I just get to see great episodes all the time.

45. liz says:

Faivorite show, I wish we didn’t have to wait so long for the new season. I love the tough cowboy attitude the show has.

46. I live in “KENTUCKY” and love “Justified” the whole cast are first class. I have seen a lot of the stuff they do and it’s real.They tell it like it is.Looking for the next season to start.

47. Ray says:

Thanks FX for bringing back Justified, one of the best shows on cable TV, I only wish TNT was as smart as you and bring back Southland. You guys will have me as a steady customer!!!!!!!!

48. Mary says:

I LOVE Justified – so happy its been renewed.

MARY

49. Staub says:

Im living in Switzerland but after Justified i m want see KENTUCKY I love so much

50. Janie says:

I LOVE Justified. Best show on TV. I’m a senior citizen and I think Timothy is super as an actor and as a sexy hunk.