Ratings: HIMYM, Carrie Hit Highs, Castle and The Following Dip, Monday Mornings Opens Low

P.S. I Love YouCBS’ recently renewed How I Met Your Mother positively sparkled this Monday night, hitting a season high in several key demos including the all-important 18-49 (where it rose three tenths to a 4.0).

In total audience, it inched up a few percentage points to 10.3 milllion viewers.

RELATEDCastle Recap: You Can’t Win ‘Em All

Rules of Engagement‘s Season 7 opener led out of that with 9.33 mil and a 3.1. 2 Broke Girls followed with 11.2 mil/3.6 (down 3 percent and a tenth), while Mike & Molly did 10.7 mil/3.1 (ticking down two tenths).

Hawaii Five-0′s riff on a classic episode (9.63 mil/2.3) held steady in the demo and led its time slot in both measures.

RELATEDThe Following Recap: Down in Flames

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser, with 5.76 mil and a 2.0 demo rating, shed 7 and 17 percent week-to-week, while Deception (3.12 mil/1.2) lost some viewers but held steady in the demo.

The CW’s The Carrie Diaries drew its best numbers to date in its target demos as well as 18-49 (where it rose two tenths to a 0.7). In total audience, it was up 12 percent to 1.55 mil.

Fox’s Bones (9.02 mil2.3) and The Following (8.9 mil/2.9) both slipped 12 percent in the demo, with the latter also down 12 percent in audience.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Recaplet: The 5 Best Moments From Robin Sparkles’ Return

ABC’s The Bachelor (7.8 mil/2.4) ticked down a tenth in the demo, while Castle (8.8 mil/1.8) dipped 10 percent.

CABLE UPDATE: Per THR.com, TNT’s Monday Mornings premiered to just 1.34 million total viewers. Lead-in Dallas, meanwhile, dropped another 25 percent from its series-low Season 2 opener to 2.23 million viewers.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Surprised about The Following. Not that it is the WORST news. But it was a strong episode last night, really getting into this show.

• Emily says:

Wait, isn’t this actually really great news? It sounds like the Following held up admirably against new episodes on CBS, who was in repeats last week.

2. usanhasbestshows says:

love the news on himym great ep and rules cbs stop treating the show like that people like that show as for following not surprised love it but it may have turned some away

3. Babybop says:

Sad for Bones! Good thing it’s already renewed…

4. Dan says:

Ugh! I hope ratings don’t keep dropping for ‘the Following’ it’s one of my new favorites.

Glad HIMYM was up tho! I love that show. Yesterday was a really great episode and is it just me or did Robin look a little like Lisa Marie Presley during her “darker days” as Robin Sparkles? (seen in the photo above)

• The Beach says:

I’m with you. I have become a big fan of “The Following” and hope its numbers increase.

• Guest says:

I think Robin in the dark days (above) looks like Janice Dickinson. BTW, I am loving The Following too. Never seem to get to watch it “live” but I always watch it the day after and hope it continues to be gripping. It is to its benefit that the season is just 15 eps.

• AmbleAlong says:

I think that Robin Sparkles (above) looks like Janice Dickinson!

BTW, I also love The Following. I have been unable to watch all eps live, but I definitely watch them online within a day. Hope I am being counted, and I hope the show keeps us guessing…

5. Kirsten says:

why can’t you guys also include total viewers in millions for all the shows?! the average person does not know what the demo number translates to!

• Andrea says:

Probably because it’s the demo that really matters, not the total number of viewers.

• dan says:

Unless you’re CBS and you get to advertize “America’s Most Watched Network” year after year thanks to the total viewer numbers.

• A says:

Can someone explain that to me? I always thought that the amount of viewers that watched the show mattered more than the age they were.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Years ago (pre-cable era of the 1980s) back in the 50’s/60’s/70’s, there were not that many channels/choices on broadcast network television, so total number of viewers was critical, and advertisers would sponsor shows (50’s-early ’60s) in total, so they were looking (and paying) for maximum number of viewers and ratings based upon total number of viewers. However, from the 1980/90s [the advent of cable TV] on, as the television viewership became fragmented, advertisers (and thus, broadcast and cable networks) began to try to focus on grabbing certain segments of that now fragmented television viewing audience.

Today (and over past couple of decades), the advertisers are looking for customers/viewers that they see as potential ‘buyers’ of their products and services… those spending the money and those who the advertisers want to grab hold of while they are still young (or ‘young-ish’) and can turn into longtime loyal customers. Hence, the 18-49 ‘demo’graphic – that’s the holy grail. The advertisers want to get as many viewers aged 18 to 49 yrs – peak buying years – college, jobs, weddings, marriage, kids, cars, houses, appliances/furniture to put in those houses, etc. And women are often the key buyers and decision-makers – hence, all you ladies out there – you have the most power when it comes to television – you really do.

There is another key demo rating – 25-54 yrs old, as well as [even] 12-25 yrs old – that’s more of the CW domain. Ratings are calculated based upon the total number households in US [assuming approx. 100% of houses (about 100 million +) in US have at least one TV {or TV-like viewing device}]. You will sometimes see ‘share’ numbers listed as well (by sister site Deadline and TV by the Numbers) – share numbers are calculated based upon the number of TVs turned on to a particular show/network at a given time.

So, we’ll see three sets of numbers most often – 1] total number of viewers {I still like this number and see its value}; 2] ratings – broken into 18-49 year range most often {an important number, since this is where the money is}; and 3] share – to give some love and bragging rights to head-to-head-to-head competition between shows in a given time-slot on a given night.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Kirsten – check out the site ‘TV by the Numbers’ – [aka TVBTN, per MWM note near top of this page] they have both 18-49 demo ratings/share, as well as (lower down their page) overall total number of viewers (a number that I also like!)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You may have missed the note I had on the bottom earlier — I had a hot date with a princess, and it was either give ya a little or give ya squat. P2+ has been added!

6. martina says:

I keep reading “Claire Danes” instead of “Carrie Diaries” every single time!

7. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Heartbreaking episode of HIMYM – at times I wanted to turn off the TV, but I just couldn’t look away. That wild David Coulier – who does he think he is? No wonder Alanis dumped him. ;) A cautionary tale of what can happen when you mix obsession with auto-tune. HIMYM is simply the best show on TV right now. Long live Robin Sparkles, and Robin Daggers, you rock!

8. MF says:

“Castle” is down to 1.8 – again! And even the total numbers of viewers are falling. Oh my…

If ABC wouldn’t have only a handful of working dramas rating-wise, I guess a sixth season for “Castle” wouldn’t be such a sure thing, as it IMO still is.

I think a lot of viewers are frustrated with the lack of Caskett & it’s showing in the numbers for the last few weeks.
    I hope that & the complaints on TVLine & other sides will tell AWM & Co that he has to make a few changes in this department.

• Shaun says:

Also it’s being led in by the increasingly cruddy Bachelor.Lack of Caskett is also brutal.

• martina says:

I believe a sixth season is secured, but I’m not so sure about season 7.

• luli says:

Yeah, there needs to be more Caskett! In previous seasons they looked more like a couple than in the past episodes. Marlowe needs to spice things up between them ASAP!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Castle should be fine for renewal for fall’13 – no worries. I think ABC has bigger headaches to resolve on their fall schedule – Castle is still one of the bright spots. That said, a change to another night (?) on the schedule next fall? Maybe? Sunday or Tuesday at 10pm?

• mia says:

Personally I think the level of Caskett is just fine. They’ve handled it really well – its still the same show as before, they’re just together now. Too much romance and it would be like beating a dead horse. My family ships Kate+Rick as much as the next fangirl, but I don’t want it turning into a soap.

9. DDB says:

Great news about The Carrie Diaries. I started watching it because of the SATC connection but it really stands on it’s own as a teen drama.

10. Steph says:

It saddens me that most of the emotionally charged episodes of Castle get such poor ratings and people seem to tune in for the sub par ones. Not cool man. Hopefully, we rise next week.

11. Kate says:

the biggest problems for Castle:
    1. ABC never shows promos for it so ppl don’t even know it’s new- especially after a 2 week hiatus.
    2. any promotion ABC does do doesn’t focus on what it should. they usually have extremely misleading promos & seriously, if they had some sort of hope for a romantic moment between beckett and castle a lot of people would be more inclined to tune in. cuz that’s whats interesting.

• Faith says:

ABC is spending all their time and promo money on their new baby at 10PM on Thursday. Their other drama’s are getting the crumbs.

• Kate says:

that is totally completely true. scandal is promoted like 50 times more than any show on abc. Castle gets way less attention than most of ABC’s dramas tho. even when awards shows air on ABC they leave Castle out of its drama real. lol. and it technically is a drama even if it’s a comedy. ABC just ignores it. but…i also feel like if it were in real trouble ABC would stop ignoring it because it makes a lot of sense for them to keep producing Castle.

• Kate says:

drama reel* yikes. must be early morning

• Emily says:

Scandal has gained momentum in its second season, which is 1) rare and 2) valuable. Let’s be real here. ABC is going to pour its money into hooking viewers into a new show that’s on the rise, rather than focusing on an old and established one that is probably already past the halfway mark. Same goes for the rest of its shows, most of which are just not really generating much buzz or ratings.

12. Tran says:

I really don’t know on what the future holds for Rules of Engagement even if this season is going to be its last but the jury’s still out on the CBS sitcom.

• Jo says:

I like that show too but the cast have all said they had filmed their last episode ever this year, which turns out to be their 100th. Not nearly enough episdoes in my opinion, it should have never been a filler, it was good enough for a full season every time!

13. Mike says:

What did you expect it’s Robin Sparkles 4!!!!!!!

14. paul says:

What about Cable specifically Dallas and Monday Mornings?

15. sarah says:

Not even a mention for 90210?

16. lame says:

It’s time for AWM & Co to bring their A game. You spoiled us with Dial M for Mayor, Kill Shot, Cops and Robbers, Probable Cause, Rise, Pandora, Deadly Affair, Knockdown, Knockout, Setup, Nikki Heat, Close Encounters,Love& Die in L.A., 3XK, A Deadly Game and so many more that stunned us with unexpected turns or just good old unforgiving suspense, with a mixture of humor thrown in for good measure. I understand that the two parter will up the stakes for C/B, but hopefully we’ll see more of these higher stake personal cases. Stories that will make us reinvest totally in edge of our seat excitement.
    Being a couple should up the ante. Those kitchen discussion Rick has with this mother and daughter should now include Kate and should be as personal and revealing as before. You’ve done it before, I have faith you can do it again.

• Kate says:

this season of Castle has felt like any other crime show. they’ve pulled back from emphasis on personal lives of both Castle and Beckett because they clearly fear overexposure. there’s way more case than there used to be and Castle and Beckett have been really underwritten.

17. MrMank says:

Really not sure why the numbers for Dallas are falling. This season is so much stronger so far. Starting to feel like the original show, and the characters are so much better defined. Hopefully this is just a hiccup.

• kjess says:

I agree. And I loved Monday Mornings, too. I hope it catches on. I think Monday night is becoming a big tv night, though. I know my tivo has conflicts all over the place on Mondays!

• Martina says:

I agree, this season of Dallas is much better than last season, I think they should have stuck to airing in the summer, there is far too much competition on the major networks on a monday night. I’m also sad about Monday Mornings, I thought it was great.

18. april-ann says:

I haven’t missed an episode of HIMYM (and don’t plan to) since the proposal episodes where it wholly redeemed itself to me.

19. Michelle says:

This is what TNT gets for airing Dallas during the season. Summer is the time for soapy awesomeness!

• MrMank says:

Maybe they’ll take that into account. One reason I can think of for them getting the second season on so quickly was that they knew Larry Hagman was pretty sick and they wanted to capitalize on the J.R. character. Sounds sick, but I wouldn’t even be surprised if it was Hagman’s idea. But yeah…I see a brighter future for Dallas as a summer series.

20. Not that I’m gloating or anything, but I’m NOT surprised that the programs on TNT don’t seem to be doing well. They lost a lot of viewers, myself included, since they cancelled LEVERAGE. The shows they promoted don’t do well, and the one that won a People’s Choice Award did not get the promotion it deserved. It’s not too late TNT!

21. ben says:

I don’t really know what is a good rating or a bad rating for TNT shows. What did Leverage get cancelled on?

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Leverage was getting around a 0.7 demo rating [18-49] in December at the end of its run – I’m not certain of the overall viewership, but probably around 1.7-2m. It started back in 2008 with around 5m total viewers. As a comparison, [per TVbyNumbers], TNTs Rizzoli & Isles was getting an 0.8 demo rating last December.

Sometimes shows are canceled based upon multiple criteria – ratings certainly being a key factor, but cost, age of series, in-house network competition (like Rizzoli&Isles), and what new series TNT knows they have coming in the pipeline for the coming year can also play a factor. I think that’s what happened to Leverage – a combination of factors. It was a good show – Tim Hutton and co. were very entertaining. At least we’ll have the DVDs and reruns/streaming to watch.

22. taliesin says:

I just wanted to say HURRAY FOR BONES! Final ratings make it the #2 show for it’s time slot. Not bad for a show in it’s 8th season and always seeming to be moved around.

23. LVkareng says:

So Dallas viewership is down and Monday Mornings is off to a bad start. Both have lower numbers than Leverage did but TNT promotes them on other networks, whereas they never promoted Leverage. I dropped ALL Turner networks from my cable lineup when TNT dumped Leverage just before Christmas. And when you go to the TNT facebook page, Leverage is still the most talked about TV show. I really shouldn’t gloat, but I do hope TNT’s number continue to drop. Maybe they will renew Leverage, the People’s Choice Award winner for cable drama.

24. Alienate says:

Sorry to hear about Monday Mornings low viewership. I hope TNT gives it time to find more viewers. I really liked it.

25. mia says:

Great news for Carrie – its been so ridiculously solid. But then it worries me – Arrow, Beauty and the Beast and Carrie are all on CW and 1 (if not 2) are going to get cancelled. Siiiigh – they’re all good.

26. Dr.Comic says:

How does the CW stay in business? I only watch 90210 because im a perv for Trevor Donovan and those sexy lips.

• mia says:

I often wonder that too with their low numbers. Their programming has been excellent this year (Arrow, Beauty, Carrie – all strong) and they’ve got Vampire Diaries + Supernatural alongside.
      I think they probably get significant income from secondary products; merchandise, conventions, etc. Their shows tend to have really really strong cult followings that will shell out money for the show they love. Being able to tap into the cult area I suspect is quite lucrative – and it has a lot of longevity. Whedon is still hauling in money from Buffy.