Ratings: Glee Gets Idol Boost, 30 Rock Hits a High, Beast Rises, Last Resort Finishes Up

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Seeing RedFox’s Glee, as expected, enjoyed a nice li’l ratings boost this Thursday with American Idol back in the mix, drawing its best numbers since this season’s second episode (airing Sept. 20).

In total audience, Glee rose 31 percent (to 6.9 million viewers), while in the demo it surged 35 percent (to a 2.7 rating).

RELATED | Glee Recap: Hawkins-Like Vision

Idol itself opened the night with 15.53 mil/5.1, dipping 5 and 9 percent week-to-week. Through its first four outings, Idol is off just 12 percent from the same stretch in Season 11.

RELATED | Michael Sleazk’s American Idol Recap: Mad About Bayou

ABC’s Last Resort (5.4 mil/1.2) finished on an up note, rising 6 and 20 percent. (HitFix’s Alan Sepinwall has a nice post mortem with Shawn Ryan.) Leading out of that, Grey’s Anatomy (8.9 mil/3.0) was flat week-to-week, and again was outdrawn by a repeat of Person of Interest (10 mil). Scandal saw its best rerun numbers ever, with 5.7 mil/1.8.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: The First Cut Is the Deepest

The penultimate episode of NBC’s 30 Rock (3.84 mil/1.4) was up 12 percent and a tenth, delivering a season-high audience/its largest since March 15, 2012. Parks and Recreation (3.9 mil/1.7) dipped two tenths, though NBC notes that it’s given the network its two best demo deliveries in the time slot since March 15. The Office (4.2 mil/2.o) ticked down a tenth, 1600 Penn (3.3 mil/1.3) rose a tenth.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Racing for a Cure

Over on The CW, The Vampire Diaries (2.74 mil/1.3) dipped 7 percent, while Beauty and the Beast (1.82 mil/0.7) returned up 14 and 17 percent, doing its best numbers since Nov. 8.

Tags: ,

Comments (26)

• Good for BATB! Hopefully it will continue to rise. :)

Comment by AT – January 25, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB’s episode last night was def one of its best. There is also clearly more to Evan than meets the eye.

Comment by Shireen – January 25, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for BatB but last night episode wasn’t so good I think.

Comment by Jay – January 25, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gret news for Glee but will be interested to see how it works out next week when i think CBS back to first run

Comment by Boiler – January 25, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about a series that gets better with each episode,last nights Beauty & the Beast did an amazing job setting up the second half of the season. Hopefully this series continues on the upward trend.

Comment by Jared – January 25, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news for BATB. I enjoy this show more with each episode. They sure know how to take you on an emotional ride for 60 minutes. I hope more people give it a chance, it is great fun.

Comment by Dulci – January 25, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I am so enjoying the series and how they have brought the “beast” aspect this time as opposed to the original series. I don’t think the original would fly today. But can Kat and Vincent kiss already!! If they are not going to have them kiss yet then for goodness sake, stop having them come so obviously close to it week after week. Just my 2 cents. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 25, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Last Resort is over can we get Andre Braugher on a show like ‘The Good Wife”? He needs to continue to be on my TV!!

Comment by mspenn1013 – January 25, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I think he is a terrific actor. I think “The Last Resort” was a good show but in the wrong time slot.

Comment by Gwen – January 25, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Grey’s Anatomy still going steady

Comment by Jessi – January 25, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, nice job BATB – I like that there are more levels to Vincent than meets the eye, and Evan too.

Comment by Mary – January 25, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoy it because the big bang returns next week and every show competing at that time slot will drop

Comment by :-) – January 25, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort could have made a great TV movie or 3-night miniseries.

Don’t know why TPTB continue to try to stretch limited series potential ideas into a 13-eps and you’re out series. Many “failures” could have been ratings (and ad revenues) winners.

Even though I wanted to see more, Political Animals is a good example: interesting idea, great cast with a potentially limited audience made a winning mini.

Comment by zakspeak – January 25, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB episode yesterday, breath taking and emotional wreckage … we #beasties were emotionally wasted last night !! Good show!

Comment by Claudia – January 25, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The office ratings are wrong.

Comment by Pickles – January 25, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And how! Fixed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 25, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, thank you Matt, I sense you are a #beastie as well, because you always put up a picture our beloved #Beast or #Beauty….love you for that!!! :P

Comment by Claudia – January 25, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vampire Diaries slump does not surprise me. Worst season by far.
    I am happy with BATB. Great episode! I was literally screaming at my TV when Vincent…SPOILER….kissed his ex in front of Cat then went back to her like nothing happened. Cat was so broken but handled the whole situation with dignity and class. Great show!

Comment by jjovana3 – January 25, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved how she handled that part!

Comment by Claudia – January 25, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #BatBwriters are terrific. They know what the #Beasties want and they deliver. Last night’s episode was jam-packed with action, emotions, and everything else. Can’t wait to see what develops next for this talented cast.

Comment by Fay Herridge (@fayzworld) – January 25, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is not what I wanted to happen at all….. Can’t wait til Alex goes away and Vincent better never lie to her again . Hopefully even better ratings next week though.

Comment by Jenn – January 25, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still like the Vampire Diaries, not sure why people are turning their backs!

Comment by sarah – January 25, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about Beauty and The Beast, this series is seriously a under dog and a very under rated series! People don’t know what they’re missing!

Comment by Sarah – January 25, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love BATB. Anyone besides me think Cat should take up with Dr. David, her therapist? I like him and he understands her, which she wants and deserves. More Dr. David!

Comment by linruss – February 11, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post