Fringe Series Finale Recap: 'My Very Favorite Thing' -- What Grade Do You Give It?

Fringe Series Finale RecapWarning: The following contains massive and dynamic spoilers from the Fringe series finale.

For a moment there, as the Fringe series finale barreled toward a close, you thought it might play out another way.

But it didn’t.

RELATED | Fringe Exclusive First Look: September’s Notebook Reveals His Observations

With Michael back in the team’s custody, Walter, Peter, Olivia et al resumed their plan to assemble a contraption that would transport the “child” Observer to 2167, where he would convince a scientist in Oslo, Norway to reconsider his plan to create what would become the evil invaders. To that end, they needed an “ignition” device, but Windmark’s team beat them to that crucial part, grabbing it from September’s sympathetic (and doomed) cohort December. Cue Astrid’s “shining moment”: the suggestion that they hijack one of the Observers shipping lane, using one of those cool cubes to reverse its flow, allowing Michael to enter, and exit in the future.

But who would lead the boy?

EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS | Fringe‘s Lab ‘Secrets’ Revealed!

Walter knew it was his fate, in part because “nature abhors a paradox” — and the solution to this one was “deleting” him and Michael.

“You will never see me again,” he informed his son Peter, “to assure the future of humanity. Your future with Olivia. Your future with Etta.

“I cheated fate to be with you,” he continued, describing their time together as father and son as “stolen.” Even so, and given all they’ve been through, and in light of how it must end, “I wouldn’t change it for the world,” Walter professed. “I don’t want to say goodbye, but I will say, ‘I love you, son.'”

Peter, crestfallen, confirmed: So, a world without Observers means you and Michael have to finish your lives in the future? “I know in my soul this is what I’m supposed to do,” Walter insisted, and they pulled one another into a strong, warm hug, tears welling in all four eyes. “You are my favorite thing, Peter…. My very favorite thing.”

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week Is… Fringe‘s John Noble

But as noted above, we were teased with an alternate ending, when Walter discovered that September had used the last time travel-enabling inoculation on himself, so that he could lead Michael to his world-saving destiny. September spoke of the emotions he felt upon being reunited with the boy, and how observing Walter’s interaction with Peter gave clarity to his confusion. “When I saw what Peter meant to you, then I understood why [my feelings] were important,” he said. “When I take his hand and I lead him [to 2167], he’ll know that I love him.” Walter explained, “That’s being a father.”

Reiterating his resolve, September assured Walter, “It’s not about fate, yours or mine. It’s about changing fate. It’s about hope and protecting our children.”

RELATED | Fringe‘s John Noble Previews ‘Remarkable’ Walter/Peter Scenes and a Perfect Series Finale

September’s highly noble gesture, however, was met with a change-of-fate of its own. As the Fringe team Fringe_PeterOliviaParklabored to hold off Windmark’s men as the shipping lane opened — and after the cruel Captain himself was blindsided and crushed (hurrah!) by a telekinetically shoved truck — September was felled by a bullet just shy of the leaping-off point. Michael briefly mourned his father figure with a playing of the “Greensleeves” music box, then was offered a new leading hand. Walter’s. Peter mouthed, “I love you, Dad” as his father escorted Michael to the future. And….

We’re back in the park, from the opening scene of Season 5. Only this time when Peter calls for young Etta, saying it’s time to go home, she makes it into his arms, running. And he twirls her, while mom Olivia beams. Back home, Peter finds in the mail the odd letter that VHS Walter said he’d one day receive — a white tulip card.

It is about hope and protecting our children. It is about changing fate.

UPDATE: Some additional thoughts on the final two hours….

* How awesome was it to see Michael beat Windmark bloody without so much as blinking an eye?

* Great quote, Hour 1: “You can stop checking out my young ass.”

* Great quote, Hour 2: “It’s a beautiful name.” “What?” “Astrid.”

* Many spotted the TV news crawl about Chelsea Clinton running for president in Alt 2036, but did you also see that Warner Bros. (aka the company that produces Fringe) had announced a Harry Potter remake? That Detroit had been ranked the safest U.S. city? And that the valuation of American currency had hit an all-time high?

* Who else winced on their sofa as Olivia howled with the final two Cortexiphan shots?

* Nice touch, intimating that Lincoln felt some guilt being Over There while our side was being run roughshod by the chrome domes.

* Anyone else get a Callum Keith Rennie vibe from Michael Cerveris aka Haired September?

* As for the paradox issue, I’ll seek clarity from Joel Wyman first chance I get. I was on board with the theory that Walter’s plan merely prevented the Evil Observer invasion, until December warned September that with the reset an unqualified “we would cease to exist.”

What did you think of Fringe‘s series finale. Was it, as Joshua Jackson assessed for us, “Correct”?

1. Jerry says:

No good at all, and I have loved Fringe over the years.

It’s one thing to give your viewers a happy ending. It’s another to completely ignore your own mythology.

Removing the Observers should have set time back to the 80’s when Peter was dying. Having it reset to 2015 made absolutely no sense besides to provide a happy ending.

Very disappointed

• Ellen says:

Don’t forget that Walter saved Peter in the ORIGINAL (blue) timeline, and this all happened in the yellow timeline. The paradox was already there – it happened when Peter popped back into existence in Season 4. So, there’s no ignoring of the mythology.

• Ian S. says:

No, September still distracted Walternate in the lab in the amber timeline and thus by not being in existence Peter should have been healed in the redverse.

• Maria B says:

Not in existence in what timeline, though? For all we know, the Observers still exist in the blue timeline.

• Kristina says:

Who’s to say observers don’t exist in the future though. The purpose of Michael was to show the scientists that it was possible to have high intelligence and still maintain the emotional capacity of the people at the time. It was meant to stop the invasion and to stop the observes from being created by completely overriding emotional capacity in the brain.

• Lilys87 says:

Thank you :) It was my understanding as well.

• Austin says:

Wow! thank you at least someone realizes this, instead we have all these fans posing inaccurate theories about paradox flaws. The observers still most likely exist but in a different capacity due to the realization maximum intellect can be achieved without sacrificing emotion.

• ecobfw says:

You mean Walter AND September.

• Chris says:

THANK YOU FOR POINTING THIS OUT!!!!! I was about to go nuts from confusion, but you just made all the sense in the world.

• You’re assuming that when the current Observers were erased from time, nothing took their place. The theory I like best — and the one that makes the ending make sense — is that as a result of Walter and the boy’s intervention, humanity evolved down a different path than the one that created the Observers. But at some point in the distant future, humanity still decided to send back a team to observe and report on the crucial milestones in humanity history — this time not as an advance scout for an invasion, but historians seeking to understand humanity’s origins. Given the crucial role Walter Bishop will have played in the guided evolution of humanity, naturally these new observers take a special interest in him. And one such observer distracts Walternate at a crucial moment, setting the whole ball rolling…

• Alichat says:

Yeah, that is pretty much what I understood. By sending Michael and Walter into the future to 2167, they don’t get rid of the Observers completely, but get rid of this iteration of the Observers. The point of sending Michael forward was to show that emotions…compassion, love, fear, hate….should not be sacrificed for superior intelligence. Michael was proof that you can have both superior intelligence and emotion. So I interpreted the ending to mean that the Observers have been re-wired by their time travel, which gives Walter great import in their history. They still travel back in history to see important moments, and thus Walternate is still distracted.

• Rob J. says:

More to the point: my theory is . . . (it could be bunnies) . . . that September and the Calendar Co. were among the first Observers created in 2167 and were sent back to 2007 *before* Walter and Michael got there.

• JT says:

I agree with you on that. Walter would have been a significant figure in 2167- coming from the past with a future engineered child would have been a historic milestone. The boy Michael has to exist in order for the Norwegian scientist to make changes to the path of engineered people. Walter’s repaired brain and remembrance of the original timeline would be viewed as important to preserve- Observers with emotions and great intelligence would become part of the earlier timeline. They would send the first people machine back in time to both universes so that it would be discovered in 2011.

On the other hand why not tell the Norwegian scientist that modifying intelligence resulted in future generations making the planet uninhabitable.

I think this ending opens up opportunities for a Fringe movie in a couple of years…

• Katherine says:

The Observers didn’t send the machine back in time, Walter did in 2026 of the blue timeline.

• rowan77 says:

It’s not that modifying intelligence was the problem, but that they chose to sacrifice emotions, which seemed to remove their moral compass. Michael shows that you don’t have to sacrifice one for the other.

• Juan says:

The point was to convince the scientist to not create the bad observers but if walter and michael has to exist to do that, everything till 2015 had to happen, thus creating the paradox. for this to be maintained, walter and michael could never come back.
            My theory is that the boy escaped in last week’s episode for a reason like they all thought. Why? So that Olivia could get back her cortexiphan powers by going to the alt-verse. Because of this, she is able to call on her powers to kill Windmark. And because of this, she is able to remember the events of season 5 and you can see it on her face. And I think once Peter sees the white tulip, he remembers as well.

• Thank you! This saves the ending for me. I was so upset about the paradox that I didn’t even think of this, and honestly now I’m thinking that the writers didn’t even think of this. If Walter gets rid of the “bad” iteration of the Observers, making room for “good” Observers, and one of those Observers goes back and still distracts Walternate (perhaps Walter even prompts the Observers to do this?), then why would Walter and Michael still have to be stuck in the future as a means of paradox correction? Anyway, even if the ending made no logical sense, I still love the way it ended. When I first realized what the ending was going to be (basically when September reappeared) I figured there’d probably be a time paradox, and it would bother me, but I soon realized that even if that was the case that maybe that was the point. September says that the Observers were so consumed by a desire for intellect that they lost all emotion, so to them (the villans) intellect > emotion. So if the end of the story cares more about the emotion than the possible defiance of logic… wouldn’t that kind of be the point? But I think with this explanation you get the best of both sides.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

It’s also possible that as part of their trip to the future, Walter made preparations there to send good Observers back in time to make sure that events still played out correctly.

• prish says:

Walter, the scientist, going to the future made the most sense. I am glad the writers took that route. Walter corrected his mistakes in the future, and this leaves further storytelling open for books.

• Tallulah says:

This was my exact explanation for still requiring the initial 12 observers. Also, remember how Walter knew what needed to happen to ensure the Invasion would never occur – this means saving boy Peter exactly the way that we saw, etc…

• Last year, September told Peter that his fate was to be with our Olivia, as he would have been if September had never made the error in 1985. I kind of wish they’d given us a glimpse of how that came about. What I’m unsure of in this ending is whether Peter had a relationship with Walter at all in this new timeline.

• scorpo says:

yeah, sadly this ranks right up there with Lost as one of the worst finales ever. I can’t believe Fox allowed them to come back so they could make this crappy season

• tee says:

don’t you mean right up there with Lost as one of the BEST finales ever?! :D

• Walkie says:

I feel bad for you that you couldn’t enjoy what was a remarkable finale. Some folks find anything that is emotionally rewarding to be a “cop out”: Fringe was always about a father’s love for his son.

And the Lost finale was great as well.

• Temperence says:

The Lost finale was pretty good, and the Fringe finale was amazing. AMAZING. It’s sad that some people can’t follow plots well.

• scorpo says:

For all of you that commented, I never suggested it was a “cop out” nor was it a difficult plot to follow. When compared to the first 4 seasons, this season was subpar and dull.

• Temperence says:

And that’s fine… but plenty of people disagree. The last I liiked, the poll was 75% awesome, and almost 25% “B”!

• jack Bowman says:

There were dull misses a few times this season, but I saw the fuel and energy pick up as it went on- up to and including the end.

• gunni799 says:

You’re a damn troll. Not everyone who has a different opinion to yours is too stupid to understand the plot. This whole Season was a huge let down to me and was just latched on after Season 4 for financial reasons. You loved it, fine. I hated it and to me Season 5 spoilt the whole show. It added nothing to the show and the show’s “real” ending was always supposed to be what happened at the end of season 4. That doesn’t mean I’m too dumb to follow the plot you idiot. I’m entitled to my opinion as are you.

• I 100% agree that the Lost finale was an embarrassing travesty. In the words of my two year old niece, it was “blechy”.

I did, however, like the Fringe finale. Let’s face it, keeping a perfectly cohesive mythology inside of a serialized television show must be hard. To my mind they wrapped it up well enough that the few “WTF” loose ends were acceptable. Since none of us really know what time travel would act and look like (we assume things based on our limited knowledge of temporal mechanics) I’m okay with creative license.

What they did do that LOST did not was try to keep things within a “possibilty” spectrum – and they tied up loose ends to a degree that I did not end up feeling like the bad end of a practical joke when the final credits rolled. And while they relied heavily upon the human aspect of the story, the emotions and relationships, they did not do so at the absolute and complete expense of the mythology/plot. They got all the components of a “story” covered and its conclusion, while flawed, was still recognizable as a cohesive narrative.

• Juan says:

Walter clearly said that it would be a paradox. Everything will have existed the way it was until 2015. that’s the paradox. and to maintain that paradox (which is what brings etta to existence itself) walter and michael had to live out their lives in the future.

• ecobfw says:

Don’t forget that the historical record shows the observers observing from the beginning of human civilization. I guess to be consistent, 2015 marks the beginning of yet another Fringe multiverse, as those paintings of Observers won’t magically change. But the Observers do (assuming they do continue to observe), and their actions will be interpreted accordingly. Remember Walter describing Deja Vu, and how each major change in our lives can lead to the creation of a whole new universe? (An actual physics theory, in fact.) Well, this is like the attempt to “delete” Peter. It created a new timeline from 1985. Now there’s a new timeline from 2015.

• natalie mcclary says:

It would have done no good to reset time to when Peter was little. The 12 original observes were still learn about humanity and it wasn’t till 2015 that their race got to the point where they could successful defeat humanity. They did what they did when they did because in the timeline through their train of thought they would be successful in the moments they choose. They wrote off Michael as an anomaly because they thought he was a flaw and he was taken by September before they could discover his abilities. He was not an element they, being the the observers, could plan for…and yes I just schooled you ;)

• prish says:

I took it to mean everything up to the day in the park was as it had been. The history reset was from the time of the park scene. Cool.

• This is what I choose to believe happened.

Walter and Michael continued their natural lives in 2167 (assuming that Walter will live to be 90 like Walternate, he would die at around 2188). Michael, for all intents and purposes, was immortal as he stopped ageing.

I imagine that Walter realized that destroying the Observers would result in September no longer distracting Walternate, which would in turn result in Walternate curing Peternate and making it no longer necessary for Walter to open the portal to Over There, which in turn would negate the McGuffin that allowed for science to go out of whack and lead to the events of the show.

Walter must have put some sort of plan in motion to assure that Walternate would not cure Peter and preserve the timeline as it was sans interference from the Observers.

Michael could have played a part in that plan. He could have replaced September as the individual who distracts Walternate. Or, working together, Michael and Walter helped steer human development to a point that resembled the world of the Observers but still retain human emotion.

September is born in that world, same as before but different due to the changes in the timeline, and he and the other 11 still go back in time to Observe the past (not to conquer it, as before, but to study it), and he still distracts Walternate because irregardless of the Observers’ history, that moment in time still holds monumental importance.

• Adam says:

I feel the same as you; time should have reverted back to the 80’s

• Duncan Houst says:

Because after all this time, the way to defeat the logic driven Observers should be logical? I don’t care if the science doesn’t check out. It’s a testament to the show’s emotional power that it forces itself against logic.

• Alienate says:

Thank God I stopped watching two seasons ago. R.I.P. Fringe.

• Henry says:

The show was awesome seasons 1-3 rocked . Wtf happend with 4-5 those episodes sucked alternate time line out of no where then out of no where it’s 20 years later it felt like I was watching the mummy 2 . RIP fringe for me it ended at season 3

• John Marcus says:

Yes, I thought the same thing at first, but then I remembered that Peter was erased from the timeline, and so the whole getting saved by September from the icy waters becomes moot because we don’t know the first thing about the machine. It’s convenient but I love an ending where you don’t kill off the characters because maybe a movie might bring them back!

• H says:

It only removed the exsistance of observers without feelings not the possibility that the human race would have evolved into a different kind of observer with emotions and supreme intelligence, so the original 12 could have still been created to observe time, if you remenber the scientist observers didn´t interfere until september which is where the first example of emotion from their kind is exhibited.Hence the whole time line occurs in exactly the same way playing out because of septembers emotional connection to the fringies in this timeline until the takeover. As this new breed of observers had emotions it never proceeded to happen the takeover if earth so a paradox is created and walter dissapears, as in order for everything to happen how it shoukd do walter has to live out the remainder of his years in the future most likely very confused by the whole situation as this a totally nee timeline. this however is a direct parallel to peter’s dissapearance in season 3 and his adventers in the different amber timeline explored in season 4 :). Anyway this is my understanding of it anyways there is probably more to it they were never going to give us a straight answer its fringe plus that would take the fun out of it personally i loved the ending i thought it was very poetic and fitting.

2. Ellen says:

Shocked at how good the finale was. Others will quibble about apparent causality paradoxes, but twin episodes were really well done, very suspenseful and cool, action-filled and even amusing. And Walter, I felt, ended up in the right place… it seemed important that Peter and Olivia go on without him, but that there was a possibility that one day they might be reunited.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes both as television, and as a mostly fitting ending to the series. It was left open-ended in the very best way – not “open ended” in the sense of being a headscratcher, but in the sense of leaving room for the imagination and maybe even future stories.

• Ella says:

Beautiful finale to an incredible show. Loved the Walter/Peter and Walter/Astrid scenes – I was in tears throughout both. This show had so much heart and unbelievably likeable characters. The end came down to love. Walter’s love for Peter, September’s love for his son. The story arc began with Walter & a boy and ended the same way. The boy must live, and so he does. As does Etta. Beautiful symmetry. Loved this finale – thanks to all involved including those at Fox for giving this wonderful show a proper send off!

• ear says:

Well said. I would add that Olivia’s watchfulness when Peter swung young Ella, and then Peter’s reaction to the White Tulip, were suggestions that they DID have some recollection of the barbed-wire timeline. I hope so, b/c I so want Peter to remember Walter saying goodbye.

• Katherine says:

Absolutely agree. Olivia totally remembered – they wouldn’t have had the camera on her for so long if she hadn’t, and you can see it in her eyes. Peter also remembered, but it took him a minute after seeing the tulip. The way he looks up so fast at the end, with that look in his eyes – he totally understands.

• jenna says:

Agreed! I laughed, I cried….I teared up again, and I was annoyed (as with almost all fringe episodes) that the cast doesn’t get any award recognition; John Noble blew me away in the twin episodes. And at the end of the 2 hours I was just a ball of emotions, always a sign (in my mind) of a good finale

3. Me says:

it was good but still so many QUESTIONS!

4. Tricia says:

A++

I sobbed. Not once, but twice during the last forty five minutes. I can’t believe we don’t get to see these characters anymore. I’m in mourning right now.

• ecobfw says:

Just twice? I sobbed the whole time. Except when badass Olivia took care of Windmark once and for all, just enough Cortexiphan onboard….

• ecobfw says:

Oh, to those questioning why Windmark hesitated in his jump: There are real sexual politics here (no need to clone the women in evil observer future, remember?), and he could not imagine Olivia having the power she had. THAT was very satisfying for this fangirl. That, and Nina’s confrontation with Windmark. Two of my favorite moments of the season. And now Nina’s alive again!

• rowan77 says:

I loved Lost’s finale. Granted the whole putting a stopper in the world in order to save it was a bit much, but to find out what the flash-sideways really was and their reactions at finding each other was sappy, but lovely. And Michael Giacchino’s music just made it resonate.

I liked that this had a happy ending and Walter got to right a wrong he felt responsible for. Walter sacrificing himself showed he never will totally become the old, selfish Walter. And I love the fake-out of Olivia making the car alarms go off and electricity blow out because of her righteous anger as Windmark finally get his. Go Michael!

5. Lo says:

I loved the white tulip at the end, tied it up nicely

• Jerry says:

If the Tulip was sent before the invasion (since Peter received it the day of) how did Walter know to send it? And how did he know he sent it in a future where Peter didn’t get it?

• It’s purposefully ambiguous. Walter sent Peter the only evidence he had that the impossible is possible.

• September told Walter about the invasion in 2012. He knew he would be wiped away in 2015. He had plenty of time to mail the Tulip and leave the video for Peter.

• Jodie says:

yes, and he mentioned that he sent Peter something in the mail in his video message, which was taped before he went into Amber, and that Peter likely wouldn’t understand it. He was reaching out emotionally, not rationally, because he didn’t know how the plan would turn out.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Yeah I liked the white tulip part of the finale. That was my favorite episode of the show and it was cool that it reappeared. I wonder how many people here remember what it was supposed to mean though considering they didn’t like the finale much. Guess they don’t get it.

• It’s funny how the tulip is a paradox, it shouldn’t exist.

• Yes it is. Peter Weller’s character drew it in one timeline, then he went back in time and changed history, this negating the events from the timeline in which he drew the tulip. After his character and his character’s wife died in a car accident, one of the character’s colleges mailed the envelope with the tulip to Walter.

The envelope, and the tulip, both originated in the timeline that was erased due to Weller’s character’s actions.

• Peck didn’t change history though. His future self died with his fiance, but they never said his unmodified May 18th self died as a result.

• well, that is how it should have been. When he went back there should have been two of him, one in the car and the other wherever he was, but look at the scene with his collegues again and you’ll see that it’s clear that as far as they are concerned there was only one of him and he died with his wife in the car. there is at no point the suggestion that there is another of him alive.

Even if there was, though, the tulip would still be a paradox drawn by a man from a timeline that no longer exists.

• This is interesting

The goofs section says “As evidenced by the first scene of the episode, when jumping back in time, Peck does not merely ‘step inside’ his own past (transporting his consciousness back in time).”. This implies that future Peck merged with his past self when he went back in time to the field. That explains why there was only one of him who died in the crash.

That still makes the tulip a paradox.

• Andrew says:

But September told Walter in one of the last episodes that he loved the idea of the white tulip and went and got it, but since all he had was the envelope he didn’t know what Walter did with it. Since it happened before 2015 it isn’t a paradox. September could still traverse time when he got the white tulip and gave it to Walter.

• That’s not what makes it a paradox. What makes it a paradox is that it originated in a timeline that Peck’s actions invalidated and rendered nonexistant.

6. Me says:

I guess it leaves it open for a MOVIE because I MUST KNOW WHY they kept showing us REDGreen for crying out loud!

7. Jason says:

Steaming pile.

8. Maria B says:

I don’t think anyone has to worry about Fringe winding up like Lost… it was a good finale.

• Jacob says:

They could only hope to end up like LOST.
      This finale was crap. Actually
      the whole season was a mess. I don’t recall FRINGE being aired by Jimmie Kimmel Live and a 5 hour send off for LOST over on abc. JJ should have reset back to the Island. I still pissed with the finale of FRINGE expected little and that is what it delivered.

• B says:

you are forgetting that LOST actually got award recognition and was a powerhouse in the ratings, FRINGE on the otherhand has never gotten the recognition it deserved

9. opus says:

Huge problem with the timeline reboot. If the evil observers never exist, then September and his 12 never exist either. So, supposing September’s distraction of Walternate when he is making the potion that will save his son is the first interference with the timeline, that now never occurs, Walternate saves his Peter, and Walter has no need to cross universes. Thus Peter never meets our Olivia amd Etta is never born. I love Fringe, so someone please give me an explanation I can accept.

• Tim says:

To an extent I agree but the future could always send a different type of observer, one with compassion and emotion to essentially do what September did causing all the good that came of it but hindering the invasion

• allie08 says:

no. everything exists up to the point of the invasion.

• JT says:

Walter would have been a significant figure in 2167- coming from the past with a future engineered child would have been a historic milestone. The boy Michael has to exist in order for the Norwegian scientist to make changes to the path of engineered people. Walter’s repaired brain and remembrance of the original timeline would be viewed as important to preserve to get to 2167 and not have engineered people who would ultimately make the plant uninhabitable and invade in 2015. Observers with emotions and great intelligence would ensure the key events in history played out “properly”. Walter would know that if an Observer did not distract Walternate at the point of his observing the cure for Peter then Walter would not have been in a position to change the Norwegian scientist. They would develop and send the first people machine back in time to both universes so that it would be discovered in 2011. The rest would play out as shown in the park- no invasion. Movie in 2015…

• Tami says:

I’m wondering if by bringing Michael to the future they proved that his evolution was possible, but maybe they decided not to engineer it until it actually happened, so they were aware of it. Once Michael appeared, instead of deleting him as an anomaly, they were waiting for him. He became a trigger for the next phase, a planned phase since these people are all about method and planning. That would mean that almost everything that happened prior to the invasion was not only allowed to happen, but had to happen in order for September to gain his emotional connections and learning. Maybe they found that the first step could not be engineered at all, so they decided to wait for nature. We have no idea how the future reacted to Michael’s presence except that the invasion didn’t happen – we only know what September thought would probably happen. I don’t think they deviated from the timeline or the mythology very much at all.

• Kenny says:

The Observers still existed except they become like Michael instead of what we saw. I’m guessing the 12 original observers still went back to view Walter’s life because he probably was a celebrity in 2160. Then the observer still could have distracted Walternate and caused him to miss the cure once again. Starting the chain all over again. Peter is still around in 2015 because he is from a different timeline.

• rowan77 says:

Walter is in 2167. He can tell them that in the 27th century, they must send 12 men, each re-named after the months of the year back to the 20th century to make sure Walter and Peter survive the fall into the lake the day he takes Peter from the Alt Universe. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy that will always repeat.

10. steve says:

Actually it makes perfect sense. They told you that the observers would still exist, just with mor emotional capabilities. It was the evil version they would be getting rid of so they wouldn’t invade. So they still watched walter still interrupted walter so he wouldn’t notice he found the cure…everything actually happened up until they invaded…because they never would invade…but watching us STILL occurred.

I would have liked more of a coda at the end but otherwise I loved it….michael left the train because he knew he had to so that they would reboot olivias abilities so they could succeed. All in all a great way to end the show….very satisfying and I will miss these characters terribly

• Michelle says:

That’s the way I understood it too. Honestly, all those science-y, fringe-y questions never bothered me. It was always about the emotional connections of the core characters I cared about. And for that, this ending was perfect.

• Chris Smith says:

OHHHH! I was wondering why he stepped out of the train! They never explained that!

• MilesF says:

They didn’t but I think Michael knew if he didn’t give himself up, then Windmark would catch all of them. If that happened, then Olivia wouldn’t be free to rescue him.

• planetw says:

Because Olivia had to get her dose of cortexifan so she could kill Windmark, otherwise he’d have stopped the whole thing. The boy is super smart and can engineer the future even better than the observers.

11. Kelly says:

Walter and Peter being apart is the part I hate the most. It left me with a sad feeling with the finale. Not a satisified feeling. Everything else was great. I loved seeing Lincoln again and Broyles and Astrid were awesome. Loved Astrid&Walter&Gene moment. Peter and Walter’s video scene/hug/stolen time scene was beautiful. John Noble and Joshua Jackson are amazing together. Best father/son on tv. Peter mouthing I love you to his dad.Heartbreaking.

• Alichat says:

But….Walter sent Peter the white tulip. It’s the one thing that gave Walter hope. So perhaps this was Walter’s way of saying that anything is possible, and perhaps he will be back. Maybe time travel is figured out sooner….shortly after 2167 and Walter is able to come back. The tulip was a nod…to me….that anything could happen and just because Walter says he can’t come back doesn’t mean he won’t.

12. Amazing finale. It tied things up nicely. Really going to miss it though.

13. maggie says:

Peter mouthed to Walter at the end, “I love you, Dad.” So sweet. I am going to miss this show.

14. I think I was expecting a bit more of the ending, I wanted to see a bit more of Peter and Olivia and Etta happy. Wondering if they remembered what happened.

Both episodes were brilliant, much more than I expected, just a bittersweet about not seeing Walter in the future.

• Jon says:

I also wanted to see some of Olivia, Peter and Etta being happy.

No, they didn’t remember what happened, I think- Peter’s look when he found the White Tulip basically confirmed that he didn’t know what was up with that.

• Alichat says:

But perhaps when he goes to Boston to find out why Walter disappeared, he will find the video Walter made. And perhaps Walter explains what happened pre-reboot….or what would have happened….

• Katherine says:

Not initially, no, Peter didn’t remember. But his sharp look at the very end tells me he remembered. Plus the amount of camera time spent on Olivia’s face while Peter was spinning Etta says to me that she remembered.

• Tal says:

exactly
          think about Walter’s description of that scene, on the tape: Peter gets the letter, wonders what the story is, calls Walter, but no one answers. when we’ll come looking for him he’ll find the tape.

but peter didn’t look perplexed, he looked, i don’t know, sad? scared?
          there shouldn’t be a reason for that look, just by getting a weird letter from Walter, unless he understood that it means something bad.

15. David S says:

This was a really dark ending – basically everyone got erased when the paradox occurred – so the Peter and Olivia in that epilogue are the Prime (Blue) Versions. Since everyone got erased and the Observers didn’t exist, then why was Walter not in that last scene? The Walter who traveled forward got erased with the boy and the Observers, but there should still be a Walter in the Prime timeline – and the White Tulip shouldn’t have arrived (unless September traveled into that timeline and mailed it). Very unclear to the point where I actually didn’t like it.

• They weren’t the Blue timeline versions. They were in the Amber timeline. The one Peter originally didn’t exist.

• David S says:

It would need to be the Blue Version – Peter only came back because he wasn’t erased by Observers. There’s a HUGE paradox here. This is a version of the timeline where the Observers DON’T exist – so Walter saved Peter? My problem here, essentially, is with the reset – nothing happens. This whole season? Didn’t exist. To do a “Reset” story, you have to have the characters be able to recall it – for it to have more of an effect that nullifying the future storyline. Clearly the head writer realized that – it was the reason for the Tulip. But it didn’t click. If the ending was Peter finding the Tulip and showing it to Walter – who HAS the Tulip – then it would have been a coy little nod. But since the final shot didn’t have Olivia or Walter, just Peter – it robbed them AND us of the Click moment.

• I think you are a bit confused. When Peter stepped in the machine, it erased him from existence. It created an Amber timeline. One that September never saved him from the lake. However, the love his father and friends had for him allowed him to enter the Amber timeline not the Blue timeline. This whole season took place in the Amber timeline. When Walter went to the future with Micheal, it stopped the invasion and the Amber timeline changed at that moment in 2015. Walter knew that it would also erase him from that moment on, so he sent Peter the Tulip and him the tape.

• Chris Smith says:

So basically, the Amber timeline was created when Peter popped back into existence. The Observers only invaded in the Amber timeline, not in Red or Blue, because with Peter back, the Amber Observers needed to exercise more direct control over the course of events. When the Observers were erased in the Amber timeline, this reset the Amber timeline back to the moment of its creation, but it didn’t reset Red and Blue. The Observers still existed in the Blue timeline, but only up to the point where it and the Amber timeline diverged. Peter popping back into existence, in effect, erased the Observers from that moment on, but not before.

• ecobfw says:

Ummm…. I’m pretty sure we still saw Observers (and definitely September) after Peter popped back into the yellowverse. My assumption is that they tried to delete him because their superior skills of seeing multiple future outcomes and making statistical choices based on those they perceive to be “best,” prompted them to try to delete him b/c they could see he would be a problem for them. What they didn’t count on is how love brought him back, and how the love of all these people for each other would allow the Fringe team to be the enemies of fate. Perhaps they even saw Peter using their tech, and were concerned that it would kink their plans. But in the end, it wasn’t the tech, it was the team.

• David S says:

Ok, the first part makes sense if the Observers aren’t immediately erased from all the timelines (which theoretically, they should have been – since it was implied they all spawned from that one time in the future). But it doesn’t change the fact that WALTER shouldn’t have been erased. The only thing that should have changed in the Amber timeline is no invasion because it was a future iteration of Walter (the one ambered that we followed all season) who delivers the boy. The paradox here is that Walter at the start of the amber timeline either simply vanishes or is still there just not seen. I’m inclined to believe it’s the latter just because there’s no reason FOR Walter to be able to disappear. All in all, this was very poorly addressed by the entire season.

• Look at the first paradox from the show. Peter was saved by September when he fell through the ice. He was never supposed to live, therefore it created a paradox. When he stepped into the machine the paradox was fixed by way of September not saving him, therefore Peter was erased creating the Amber timeline. Nature’s way of fixing the paradox was removing Peter, because he was the cause.

When Walter and Micheal go to the future, they essentially caused a paradox by preventing the invasion. They created the paradox and nature corrected it the same way it did with Peter. It took Walter and Micheal away at that the moment the timeline changed (invasion was prevented).

• ecobfw says:

Not a problem for us Trekkies, I think. How many times were there time paradoxes in the various Star Trek eps that had the crew at the end completely forgetting the events of the episode? (And like the barbed wire world horror world of Fringe, they were always the better for it. In general, anyway.)

16. Stan says:

I always knew that Walter would have to deliver the boy. The machine was built in the future and sent into the distant past.
    As a whole, I feel the series ended as it should have ended. It wouldn’t have been Fringe any other way.

17. Percysowner says:

I’m glad you noted the Greensleeves music box, because I thought of that last week. Someone else pointed out that the tune is also for a Christmas carol entitled “What Child Is This?” which is very apropos for Michael.

This was lovely and moving. I adored that the real theme of the show was the love of a parent for a child.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Hmm, fair point. Closed captioning billed it as “Greensleeves,” but “What Child Is This” uses the same tune (and obvs. has more direct thematic applications).

• Me says:

Greensleaves lyrics in no way have anything to do with storyline….What Child Is This fits and has way more meaning

• “Greensleeves” & “What Child is this?” Athe same song. I am writing in my space later, but here it goes:
          Peter reaching for Etta was a fixed point in time. Walter said he was deleted on that day.
          Olivia remembered as seen by that smile in the park, I think she was waiting to see if it worked
          Peter remembered when he got the tulip…that was a badass look he gave the camera.
          I loved the ending, I like it when 2 people who love and sacrifice so much, get a well deserved ending.
          The “Lost” ending did not bother me too much, but I also missed the season prior.
          I have always been upset by the ending of BSG. it was just so bad, it was a sin. I was afraid this would be too, but I loved it.

• Tim Steinert says:

“What Child is This” & “Greensleeves” are not completely the same song. “Greensleeves” ends on a picardy third, that is, it is in a minor key until the very end when the last chord is a major chord. “What Child is This” remains in a minor key. And, no, I did not make up that term “picardy.”

18. Tiera says:

I though it was an amazing finale! It was a perfect summation to an epic story. I loved the openedness and the “imagine the possibilities” ending with the white tulip as a capper. It was amazing on a number of emotional, humorous and action filled levels. I loved the mirrored image of Walter leading Michael to the future paralleled with that of Walter taking Peter. Just beautiful!

19. Kelly says:

loved that line. such a beautiful moment. if they did a movie I could see it being 2015 peter searching for where his dad disappeared to.

20. Jon says:

I have an issue with the last forty-five minutes. While I loved “Liberty” (I love my Fauxlivia) I felt that “Enemies of Fate” provided us with little closure on these characters. I loved the fact that they used the Fringe events as weapons (Especially the butterfly callback to “The Dreamscape” from season one), but the fact that the characters forgot everything that happened in season five (or I guess they didn’t forget since it never happened in the first place) is ridiculous. It’s just like the damn reset they did in season four that almost killed the series- it made everything before it completely useless. So the grieving, the understanding, the pain and love everyone gained in the outstandingly emotional season five was all left back in the Observer timeline? Everyone came closer together and gained a higher level of understanding for each other this season, but none of that mattered? And I am beyond upset at what happened to Walter. How ridiculous. And I don’t want to hear “IT’S THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO TO REDEEM HIMSELF” because they could have played his self redemption a hundred different ways with better results.

And although I’ve come to terms with the fact that Olivia really shares the spotlight with the Bishops now when it comes to who’s the “lead,” but the show started with her, it should have ended with her. The last scene of Peter holding the White Tulip was a slap in the face because of the fact that it meant he would never come to a full understanding of Walters sacrifice, and because the last scene should have gone to Olivia. Small nitpick, I know.

And Finally, could you at least have given us the original opening one final time? We havent seen the BLUE opening since the close of season 3.

That being said, it was still a great episode, and compared to other finales it still kicked ass, but it wasn’t the finale I wanted.

• Maria B says:

This whole line of objection that says “But they won’t remember anything, they will forget everything” – we’ve heard this from people before with regard to the Season 4 reset. I think, however, that it’s been shown that memories and experiences of so-called “vanished timelines” can and do bleed through for these characters. I think we can guess that the events of Season 5 WILL, in fact, be eventually remembered or half-remembered by the characters, just based on what happened in Season 4.

So, this objection doesn’t really bother me. This is Fringe. Peter and Olivia will begin to remember the events of 2036 and it will cause them all sorts of angst and they’ll be searching for Walter and that’s what Season 6 would be about. Business as usual on Fringe.

• Katiebell says:

And what reason would OLIVIA get that tulip? Last time I checked ALISTAR PECK gave Walter that tulip ( unless you are so obsessed with Anna/Olivia being the star of the show that you forgot that) . Hello WHITE TULIP episode? Seen that one right?

I am sooo sick people like you bashing PETER BISHOP. He has a damn importance on this damn show.

• Jon says:

I didn’t say Olivia should get the Tulip, lol. And I’m not bashing Peter. As I said, I get that him and Walter became just as important to the show as Olivia was. But my point of the last shot being on Olivia was rooted in the fact that she started the show. It was all about her at first. And although the show has evolved, the person in me who has been watching the show since the very first person of day one, wanted her to be front and center at the final scene. Do you understand now?

• Jon says:

Sorry, I meant “the very first second of season one.” Not sure where person came from. That’s weird.

• Alichat says:

I never felt that Olivia was the lead character on the show. It was an ensemble…..Walter, Peter, and Olivia were the leads.

• Rrrrrr says:

Well then I guess season one never happened for you? Because although they were all “main” characters Olivia was undoubtedly the lead. It was that way up until around the latter half of season two.

• Alichat says:

Rrrrrr – I’ve been watching the show since day one. I own the DVDs. I never felt Olivia was the lead character. It was an ensemble. You can make snarky comments all you want. Still doesn’t mean I will agree with your opinion.

• Suliet says:

Yep have to agree a lot of Josh Jackson bashing over the years. Josh’s acting was the reason I watched this last 13 episodes. I know die hard fans think this was a great finale, but honestly it was awful. I know shows are subjective but come on, what a rip off.

• Walkie says:

I don’t know how anyone could find the finale awful. It was as good as I could have hoped.

• ecobfw says:

I agree that Josh was the one who made me come back in those early dreary, sloggy, depresssing eps of S5, but I really have no complaint about the last third of the season or the finale. Would I have done it differently? Of course. But that’s been true of every show I’ve ever loved, and it’s because I loved it and invested a lot of thought and imagination into the world these people created (as I assume they intended of the fans). If it were me, I would have wrapped the razor-wire story line more quickly and returned everyone to yellowverse to sort out the paradoxes. (Like why the emphasis some have commented on on red and green in these last few eps?) Not only would that have ended the nightmarishness sooner, but it would have allowed a number of burning questions to be answered on screen. I would have spent more time revisiting with ALL the characters who were so important to Fringe over the years. I would have spent a little time with Peter and Olivia and Astrid as they sorted out what happened to Walter and I would’ve allowed us to see the lab unambered one last time. I would’ve found a way for September to survive (I adored September from ep2 when we first met him), and then the cycle would begin again, father separated from son due to the mysteries of the universe. (Or multiverse as the case may be.) You’ve already seen me complain about my horror at seeing Simon beheaded and tortured, so seeing him alive and well would’ve meant a lot. The list goes on. But I’m not the one doing the writing or the running or the filming or the acting, so I enjoy it as it is and let my imagination fill in the rest. There’s no way they can possibly please all of us, so they trust us to use our imaginations to fill in blanks they didn’t have time (or chose not) to fill. And I swear to goodness, if Fringe is not nominated in several Emmy categories this year, I will boycott the Emmys forevermore.

• ecobfw says:

Oh, and one last shout out: It would’ve been nice to get a reference to Rachel and Ella one last time.

• Temperence says:

White Tulip was the best hour of television the year it was aired. Great, classic sci-fi!

• coil says:

I wholeheartedly agree with you Jon.

• ecobfw says:

But consider this. Even if they don’t remember (and I’m not convinced that they don’t – at least a little bit, like the vestige of a nightmare), Walter and Michael DO. So the point of the Barbed Wire World is the legacy that it must not be allowed to occur. Future humans may come back and observe, but they will observe for different and less-dangerous reasons and results. Who’s to say that one of those future humans might help change the timeline again, so that Walter doesn’t have to leave? Maybe even another September-type person who doesn’t die at the end. What we really need here is a TARDIS. ;-)

• ecobfw says:

I was actually expecting a different opening, one that combined elements of all the worlds. Oh well, you can’t have everything. I see your point about Olivia, but keep in mind that Olivia started out as a badass agent who didn’t realize or remember her abilities and throughout the series she fought them. But and her last act in the Barbed Wire world was as a Badass Agent Who Used Her Abilities Willingly to rid their plan of its last impediment, the last thing that had to be done before they could see Walter and Michael off into the wormhole. I found that pretty satisfying, especially when we were able to listen to her giving Ella her bath as Peter opened the mail. They had become a unit, so this seemed good to me.

21. shamon85 says:

I expected more and didn’t like it ,the whole season after eta died became a mess and that coming from a fan who been watching since the show started . i took it for what it was but is not happy with it .

22. Jennifer says:

I was 100% satisfied with the Finale. Perfect blend of character and story. It gave me three good cries and a last awesome gross out moment. Loved it all!

23. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I thought it was pretty simple. Don’t know why people are bringing in the blue timeline. They reset the amber timeline that started when Peter popped into existence. The end. There is no need for explanation beyond that because the blue timeline is NOT connected to the amber one. The amber timeline was created when Peter showed up in the lake as a full grown adult. Which by the accounts of all the characters in that timeline, they never knew him before he popped into it. So the farthest back they could possibly reset their timeline is when the “Peter anomaly” suddenly showed up in it.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

And further, for the people saying getting rid of the observers would mean Peter would either die in the lake, or Walternate would save him by not being distracted, that could be right as well. In the amber timeline he didn’t exist. So he either died or was never brought over, because the Observers never existed in that timeline. He didn’t exist until he just showed up in the lake. It’s a little messy but I feel like I see what they were trying to do with the paradoxes.

• ecobfw says:

Well, actually, there is a connection. Olivia willed herself to remember, and Michael made it possible for Walter to remember, memories he took with him into the future. So to me the blue timeline does live on. And obviously, Walter and Michael were successful, so that is part of the human legacy in Fringe Future.

• Chris Smith says:

Good point. Thanks.

24. Jeff says:

Loved it. Now I have nothing to look forward to. Ate red vines the whole way through the season finale. And yes walter. Those bullets were FREAKING cool!!!

25. Katiebell says:

Dearest Joshua Jackson,

Fringe was never kind to you. They made you dumb, useless and emasculated. People trash you for getting your turn in the spotlight while people praise John and Anna to death.

You deserved better than fringe and I hope one day, you will find a role that doesn’t make you look stupid and useless.

• Jules says:

Wtf were you watching? Did you miss the heartbreaking scene with Peter and Walter? The scene at the end with Etta and Peter? The very last scene with the white tulip addressed to Peter? Perhaps you are a disgruntled Dawson’s Creek fan that felt Pacey Witter was always second to Joey and Dawson? But personally, I feel that these characters couldn’t have existed or made such an impact without the others. Without Walter, we wouldn’t have had Peter. Without Olivia, we wouldn’t have needed Walter. Without Peter, Walter would still be at St. Anne’s. Without Walter, there would be no one for Astrid to keep in line. I think you missed the point and crux of the show. This was never the Peter/Joshua Jackson show, the Olivia/Anna Torv show, the Walter/John Noble show. This was about a crack team of people thrown together to save the world. None of which couldn’t have done so or even existed or made it without the others. If all you wanted was JJ, I suggest you break out your Dawson Creek DVDs. Wake up…most shows these days are ensembles. Joshua Jackson was never meant to be the star or lead. I thought he was awesome as Peter and can’t imagine anyone else in the role, but I have always understood that he was part of an ensemble cast. It wouldn’t have worked this long any other way.

• Katiebell says:

You know what show I’m watching? I’m watching a show where Olivia uses her powers to kill windmark (something PETER should have done) and where Walter makes a sacrificial decision. What the hell did Peter do? NOTHING. But that’s cool with everyone, Joshua Jackson being in the background.

• Emily says:

Joshua Jackson, by himself, was the final shot of the entire series. So yeah, that’s cool with me. Just because Peter didn’t blow anything up or bend all of space and time with his bare hands doesn’t mean he did nothing: you just can’t seem to discern the difference.

• ambel says:

It was Michael who killed Windmark.

• ecobfw says:

How do you get that? Olivia picked up the bullet and then blew out all the electricity in the area, and focused on Windmark and the truck. It seemed pretty clear that she was doing the telekinesis she has always done under pressure, and there was some huge pressure for Peter to get Michael back to the wormhole after Windmark tried to move him out of reach.

• Temperence says:

Actually, PETER killed Whitmark – by altering his future so he died before they took the tech out of his head. Olivia physically did the deed, though, with her super cortexiphan telekinesis.

• Peter has been central to the plot for the entirety of the show. That’s hardly nothing. Sorry if it gets your panties in a bunch that Walter and Olivia did the biggest pieces at the end, but I don’t think it bothers him any. He did, after all, throw himself into the intersection of all dimensions at some point. I’m thinking he doesn’t mind letting the others save the world just this once.

• coil says:

Great reply Jules, this JJ troll is annoying.

• Me says:

Exactly! This was an ENSEMBLE CAST that if you would have removed one the story/show would not work. You needed all three at all times for it to click….

• Kelly says:

I thought Joshua Jackson did amazing work on Fringe and felt like the real heart and soul of the show was the father/son relationship.

• ecobfw says:

Completely agree. Olivia was the Action, Walter was the Brains (with some timely help from Astrid), and Peter was the Soul. The show was always less interesting when Peter was not there, IMHO. And Joshua was perfect and wonderful as Peter.

• Luli101 says:

True. I could hardly take the time when Peter didn’t exist. Love them all and I don’t think the show would have been the same without any one of them.

• Patti says:

The last hour of the final episode Josh Jackson and John Noble owned the episode. It was all about father/son. And this season Peter as the dad, Peter as turning into an observer was brilliant material and work from Joshua Jackson.

• ecobfw says:

I really hated that too. But looking back on it, I understand why they wanted to do that. Esp. when Olivia really reconnected with him and convinced him to remove the tech. I had been bummed by S5 until then, but then I started to get it.

• Temperence says:

Quite to the contrary, Fringe made Jackson a bankable leading man. He had great things to do, and was great doing them, be it quiet little moments or convincingly kicking some tail. Peter Bishop was a career making role.

26. bryceradick says:

Loved the tulip: It gave the perfect amount of wonder that Fringe deserved.

27. Suliet says:

It was total garbage. No one should ever complain again about LOST Finale.
    What a Mess

I watched Alias and Lost seasons Finale. There will never be a better finale to a show than LOST and Newhart.
    I honestly did not expect much. Really time travel, reboot, observers or others. Rembaldie mythology.
    Man I miss LOST. Now I know for sure REVOLUTION will get at least 4 seasons.
    Now I know why FRINGE LOST its audience. I loved the first 2 seasons of FRINGE.
    I guess I will see Brother in another life please bring back REVOLUTION I mss Liz Mitchell, David Lyons and bad Billy Burke please kill off Charlie.

• Emily says:

Your Comment is a Mess. Anyway, Fringe never presumed itself to have as elaborate a mythology as Lost did. That entire show hinged on its mythology, and it didn’t deliver. Fringe was built on its relationships and never pretended otherwise, and the finale stayed true to that. At their peaks, I was as obsessed with Lost as I was with Fringe. The difference is, I don’t miss Lost at all. But I miss Fringe already.

• Temperence says:

The Fringe finale was pretty brilliant, much better than Lost.

• davey says:

OK. Are you seriously trying to tell us that REVOLUTION is a better show than Fringe? Really? Are you taking some of Walter’s drugs?

28. bryceradick says:

Also can I say how much I love when Matt comments on things? Really ads to the site and I browse a lot of comment sections to see what he has to say.

29. Tony says:

While most of the finale played out as expected, I’ve enjoyed this season’s nods to many fringe events of seasons past. In the finale alone we had the the dimensional window, intestinal worms, the butterflies, going to the other timeline and seeing Fauxlivia and Lincoln, Gene, and of course, the white tulip. Lots of fun moments for long-time fans of the show. I just would’ve liked a bit more epilogue- maybe another 13 episodes. :)

30. steve says:

Very Very disappointed but ending I was expecting from the moment etta was shot.

Peter/olivia romance was forced upon us by the writers wasn’t a natural romance so didn’t sit right with me on that ending

• s,dajfh says:

I kind of feel like the Peter/Olivia pairing wasn’t organic either. I never got with it. Maybe towards the end of season two, but definently when she came back from the Altverse and was upset at him for not realizing that Faulivia wasn’t the right one… they were so apart that when they got back together about an episode or two after she let him have it, it didn’t come across right. And it hasn’t ever since.

• Alichat says:

I always felt their pairing was organic. My thoughts were even more solidified by watching the season 1 and 2 eps on Science. There are moments from day 1….in the pilot…where you can see Peter was drawn to Olivia and vice versa. And there relationship was one that grew out of a friendship and mutual respect. Instead of having them hop into bed by the 15th ep of the first season, we saw them confide in each other, lean on each other, address each other’s fears and faults, and grow together.

• Katherine says:

I agree! I rewatched the whole series over the holidays (yes, I’m crazy), and it shocked me to see how into Olivia Peter is in the first 2 seasons. There’s a look in the very first episode that hooked me on them. I really think watching the whole series in a short time period makes a difference. It made me like and appreciate season 4 a lot more, as well as the parts of season 3 that originally made me angsty.

• Me says:

Absolutely! Had they not gotten Peter & Olivia together I don’t know if I would have stayed as hooked! That part was a must for me. A natural. I also agree shows like Fringe & Lost are MUCH BETTER watched in a short period of time. My family watched Lost long after it was over so we enjoyed our many nights of marathons with NO forewarning of anything-no previews, NOTHING. We didn’t even know what the show was about. So there was never any preconceived notions only the fun of theorizing. Same happened for me with FRINGE. I started watching in May of this year knowing NOTHING about it. I FRINGEBINGED on S1-S4 and LOVED IT! My issue with S5 was that I got spoiled with previews and hints etc from being so obsessed with it and having to wait for the next episode I would have to entertain myself with reading stuff online etc until the next episode would air. So WHOLE different feel to watch FREE & CLEAR & at your own pace vs at the mercy of programming & spoilers. That is why i LOVE my APPLE TV. I think on the next fun bizarre mythical show I will wait until it is OVER before I start watching,

• Patti says:

I felt it was organic and loved the pairing but wished Walter/Peter were as front and center as the pairing was the last season.

31. Maya says:

I’m really confused. In the newest timeline, does Peter know Walter? Or does Walter disappear/die in the year 2015?

• Maria B says:

In the final scene, Peter in 2015 is living with Olivia and young Etta, everything in his past has been as we have seen through Seasons 1-4. So yes, he knows Walter. What has just happened is that he has received a mysterious letter from Walter (who no longer lives with Peter – Peter and Olivia moved to their own home; presumably Walter still lives in their old house). The letter just contains a white tulip. What would happen next (as Walter told Peter earlier in the episode) is that Peter would call the lab to ask Walter about the strange letter, but would get no answer. Walter has disappeared from 2015. Presumably, Peter and Olivia would try to find him, not knowing he is now 160 years in the future.

• Don says:

Makes absolute perfect sense, nobody else seemed to grasp this! Considering how the series started with a dis-functional father-son relationship it makes sense to end it with a sacrifice attesting to the love they built through the 5 Seasons A+

• Maya says:

Thank you!!!!

• Jean says:

Not forgetting Walter left Peter a vhs tape explaining what happened or sort of.
        I really enjoyed the finale, it was emotional and the characters were respected till the end, What people need to focus is that the reset began in 2015 and not before. and everything make sense. Fringe finale healed my extreme trauma with Lost horrid finale.

32. Nelson Cooke says:

i wanted a Special ‘Previously and Opening’

i thought i was going to cry but i didnt, i wanted more traditional Fringe background music….

THERE NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE!!

33. RobMF says:

It ended perfectly. Though my only complaint is I would have loved to of seen Charlie Francis & John Scott again. At it’s core Fringe was a love story about a Peter and Walter, and Peter and Olivia. I’m glad the final shot was Peter seeing the white rose. I’ve always felt Peter was the center of the show even if it revolved around what Olivia was doing a little more. I think that is a credit to the wonderful job Joshua Jackson did with making Peter Bishop such a loveable character. Not that Anna Torv, Jasika Nicole, and John Noble didn’t do phenomenal jobs as well but the story always seemed to be about the love these characters had for Peter Bishop.

34. Mick says:

Few show display the love of a father. Fringe did it brilliant. Hard core science fiction fans will never be satisfied with the show because it doesn’t say completely true to its mythology , but the way I see the people we met in season 1 closed their story when Peter entered the machine. The story that came to a close tonight was the story of the people from season 4. Ultimately it ended with the theme it began with “love is always the answer” or “love conquers all”. Fringe was an epic story about the various forms of love.

35. Mike says:

Did they all die in the original plane crash? Wait! Wrong show. Sorry.

• Jate says:

No they died in season 3 in the sideways time. When I should have stopped watching it. I expected more from the great JJ Abrams. He is probably still exhausted from the best tv finale ever( LOST) Well Alias finale sucked too. Man does every one of his shows just rip each other off. Alias Mythology, The Island Mythology, and what ever happened to the First people mythology. I did not get my cry or great music instead a eye roll. WTF horrible finale predictable.
      I miss Sawyer and Juliet. Chemistry baby

• Maria B says:

Lost was a horribly overrated show filled with loudmouthed, unlikable characters and the ending was twee.

• shutuprob says:

OMG! How hard is it to accept that Lost happened the way it was depicted as happening — everybody lived out their lives to whenever they died across all six seasons and beyond. Kate, Sawyer, Claire and the rest who made it out on the plane in the last episode lived the rest of their lives, however long that was. The only part that was the Afterlife was the events of Sideways Time in and of itself, which was actually outside of time because it was, duh, the Afterlife — specifically, the *gateway* to the Afterlife.

It’s not as if the series didn’t warn you *in season one* that it was about metaphysics.

• Katherine says:

The first people mythology was answered. Walter, Peter, Astrid, and Ella (Olivia’s niece) created the machine and sent it back in time through a wormhole.

• ecobfw says:

No dude, check the shoe on the tree! ROFLMAO!

36. M duffner says:

I’m guessing William Bell had a role in designing the endgame machine? The case had an X on it (Man X), which Walter ID’d as being a “Belly design” in the episode with the nanites. Plus, Bell was ambered with the team…

37. Laurel says:

Good ending. Thank you, Fringe. I will miss you.

38. John says:

I absolutely loved the finale, and I LOVED the “greatest hits” that were unleashed on the Invaders/Loyalists. The white tulip at the end was awesome. I thought it was great that Walter sent it the same way Peck had sent it to him in “White Tulip”. I almost cried when Peter said “I love you, Dad”. I laughed at the scene when Walter told Astrid that she had a beautiful name, and then he actually got her name right when she asked him what it was (I loved how she asked him that). Thanks to all the actors, the creators, and everyone else involved with the show. And also thanks to Fox for allowing Fringe to have a proper ending. Great ending to one of my favorite shows. I miss Fringe already! My Fridays just won’t be the same.

39. allie08 says:

LOVED this finale. LOVED this show. My favorite line was when Walter turned back to Astrid and told her she has a beautiful name. Sob. I was a huge Lost fan but this finale was soooo much better.

40. JoAnne says:

I found the ending wonderful and satisfying. The universe(s) in the end are as they should be.

One thing I am still unclear about is how little Etta became separated from Olivia and Peter in 2015. With time being reset in the end it really should not bother me except for the fact that during the season there has been so much emphasis placed on how Olivia and Peter dealt with that loss; the first time and then again, after her actual death.

I just don’t get why there was a lot of missing people/children after the original invasion. This is bothering me more than the Peter/Walter/September paradoxes caused by the time travel/reset.

• tts says:

I agree! And where was Etta between being taken and joining Fringe? Who raised her? Peter and Olivia should have at least been interested about learning about her and what they missed in her life. Unless I missed something that was never explained. That has been driving me nuts!

• ecobfw says:

My impression was that the Observers were gathering children to turn into Loyalists, so I assume she was adopted to a willing parent or couple. (Remember the photos in her apt. that made Olivia sad?) Etta, however, did tell us she remembered her real parents had been Fringe agents, and sought out Broyles when she grew up to join Fringe in hopes of learning what happened to them. BTW, I notice everyone seems to have a favorite character we didn’t get to see (e.g., Alt-Charlie), and I would add to that list, Simon. After last seeing him (or his head) being tortured, which put me in a bad mood for a damn month, how cool would it have been it they inserted a short scene between the park and the final scene, where we see Simon calling home from college? Just a thought, and it’s in my personal fan version in my brain. Now there’s a Brotha who got anotha life.

41. cjeffery7 says:

two of the most well-crafted and satisfying episodes of the entire series.
    but really? windmark can jump through space and time in a moment’s notice, like when he avoided the anti-matter bomb when etta died, but when there’s a car flying at him from 30 feet away he can’t react in time and gets squished like a bug? i shall suspend my disbelief for you, fringe!

• Katherine says:

I’m going with the idea that Olivia held him in place telekinetically. And that his hatred got the better of him and clouded his normal judgment, making him stay when he should have jumped.

• ecobfw says:

Agree. And I posted further on about the sexual politics of the season, but, in short, he could not imagine a woman could gain power over him. IMHO. Very satisfied by that, as a fangirl.

• Walkie says:

That one isn’t hard to figure out. He was being held there by Olivia.

• Temperence says:

1) The teleport is not instant. 2) It’s limited as per usual – you have to know it’s coming to get out of the way. After all, Peter literally said that he changed Widmark’s timeline so he’d die soon (before they took the Observer tech out of his head).

42. cjeffery7 says:

Gene the Cow!! And Astrid’s beautiful name… UGH just ripped the tears out of me.

43. Dan says:

Amazing finale. Perfect. I sat back and watched these two episodes like a two hour movie and it was just a pure pleasure.

44. Patti says:

A part of me thought Astrid should have injected that stuff instead of September so her and Walter could look after each other in the future.

45. tts says:

I’m just going to think of all of this as a ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, and ignore the paradoxes.

46. M3rc Nate says:

I loved it, and im so happy that it wasnt tragic, in regards to Peter-Olivia-Etta. However i tend to be a “lay it all out for me” type not a “let me imagine how it goes from here” type. So i wished it was a bit longer, and kinda like on Chuck, have Peter & Olivia start to remember what they had just gone through (aka season 5).

The only 3 things teased that i read were going to be shown that werent….was Why the Observers wear the hats, Why there are no women (i get that they arent needed to reproduce..but that doesnt entirely explain them being 100% gone) and i believe i read on here, that “Olivia would put her wedding band back on, at the right moment” and from watching even up till the end of finale, she never had it on…so what happened to that?

Im hoping the “Septembers Journal” will answer a lot more, but overall id give the series a A+ and the finale a A. :) Thank you creators, writers, cast, crew etc…for Fringe.

47. Emily says:

If I was being nit-picky I could say how much I disliked the fact that they did yet another reboot (plus all the inconsitancies which would occur), and all the things they never explained, but for me, fringe has long since been about the emotional beats, and damn did those emotional beats hit hard, I teared up several times, cried so hard over gene, and all I could say was wow, was it the best, most well constructed episode ever of fringe? no, but it was a pretty perfect finale

48. Reid B says:

Probably completely offbase but I was wondering if maybe Olivia in the park at the end actually remembered everything about the “future that never was” (afterall, perfect memory + cortexaphan) and maybe that was another reason for Michael’s shushing her (i.e. sharing secret knowledge of things). Likely I’m reading too much into how she was watching Peter & Etta spin around.
    Overall, it was a good finale. I’ll miss the show.

• ecobfw says:

Oh, great point. I’ve thought of several reasons why Michael would use that gesture, but not that one, but it makes perfect sense. I do agree that Olivia was remembering *something*. The look on her face in the park – not quite the joyful look Peter had – made it seem like she had something going on there. How much we’ll never know. We will have to leave it up to our own imaginations, I guess. This was the woman who made herself remember a whole different timeline in order to be with Peter, so it sure seems possible.

• Hanna says:

I was actually thinking exactly the same…I looked as if Oliva could remember the future and everything the went through..

49. Michael says:

Wrapped up nicely. The white tulip is Peter’s connection to Walter. Fringe being Fringe, we already know that “erasing” anyone from a timeline doesn’t necessarily mean they are gone for good. Also, resetting time would not annihilate the observers, just change their nature and their motives for observing. So, everything that happened prior to the invasion, happened. When Peter was “erased” in season 4, everything that happened before had still happened, the only difference being that September didn’t save Peter. There is no reason to believe that anything would be different here, except for the invasion, which is why when time was reset, this is where we picked up. Also, remember that Walter wasn’t actually “erased”, he simply was stuck living in the future with Michael. Due to being a paradox, the others aren’t able to remember them or what happened, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be ways of jarring memories, enter the white tulip. Ultimately, a very satisfying series finale that any Fringe fan, if you think about it, should enjoy and accept.

50. Kayla says:

I think ppl r rlly overanalyzing the ending but I suppose this is what happens with any series finale I mean sure there was some inconsistencies or questions left unanswered but to me this was a really good episode it was satisfying, happy and heartbreaking all at the same time and I feel the ending rlly leaves it open 4 u 2 interpret and imagine what happens the way u want kind of like the series finale of chuck where u weren’t sure if she remembered or not or if they got back 2gether but instead had 2 leave it 2 ur imagination. So in this case I personally am gonna take the white tulip meaning Walter giving Peter hope that anything is possible and that maybe someday they will meet up again and just cuz it makes me feel better I’m saying he does remember cuz I just need 2 be able 2 think that lol and that’s just the way I choose 2 see it even though not everyone’s will be the same I think that’s the beauty of these types of finales