Grey's Recap: It's Not Easy Seeing Green

ELLEN POMPEO, SANDRA OHAs iconic ’80s philosopher Cyndi Lauper once opined, money changes everything. And that’s particularly true when the cash infusion in question is linked to a tragedy that resulted in two deaths, a leg amputation and the interruption of a legendary surgical career.

Yes, on this week’s Grey’s Anatomy, the survivors of last May’s plane crash won their lawsuit against Seattle Grace (a.k.a. their employer!) and pocketed a cool $15 million apiece. News of the windfall drew varying reactions from the gang. Callie was stoked and wanted to host a “Survivors Dinner.” Everyone else was… less stoked. “We’ve been sitting in rooms talking about this for months and now we won,” she reasoned. “What’s wrong with sitting in front of another room… with food?”

PHOTOS | Grey’s Anatomy First Look: Who’s Owen’s New Friend?!

Callie managed to coax her fellow millionaires into going out for said celebratory feast, a tense evening that turned festive when Mer (i.e. the only one not partaking in the champagne toast) was forced to confirm the worst-kept secret in the Pacific Northwest: She’s got a McBun in the oven!

Meanwhile, back at the hospital Owen learned that the settlement will bankrupt Seattle Grace.

Other quick highlights from the episode:

* Karev insisted that his feelings for Wilson were merely platonic —  a development that surprised even him. “I know it’s weird,” he conceded to Cristina. “She’s hot and she’s always around. But I don’t think of her like that.” But then she bought him a couch for his couchless home. A couch for her to sleep on next time she crashes there. “This is such a girlfriend thing,” he noted, before adding. “We’re not doing it if that’s what you’re thinking.” She denied she was thinking that. But come on — she was totally thinking that!

* Jackson’s mouth told April that he’s schtupping intern Stephanie. His eyes, however, told her, “I’m still in love with you and will drop Steph like a bad habit if you just say the word!”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: The New Interns Are Sticking Around — But For How Long?

* Divorce reignited Owen and Cristina’s sex life. As Cristina explained to Mer, “Having sex with a man who used to be your husband is way more fun than when he is your husband.”

* Derek forgave Owen for the role he played in the plane crash.

* Crazy competitive Dr. Smash Williams played ping pong with his crazy competitive mentor, Derek. Smash won and got to assist Derek on a surgery.

* Catherine tried to comfort guilt-ridden widower Webber, but he was having none of it. Until the end of the episode, when he started having a little of it.

What did you think of “The End is the Beginning is the End?” Will Der, Mer & Co. forfeit their “winnings” in order to keep Seattle Grace’s doors open? Did you tear up during Callie’s speech about missing Lexie and Mark? Sound off below!

1. Isaac says:

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT.
    I LOVE GREY’s mid-season finale’s. BEYOND INTENSE AND EMOTIONAL.
    *goes back to fan-girling*

• Mary says:

That was a mid season finale?

• Isaac says:

Sorry, My ‘mid-season finale’ definition is probably different then others.
        To me a mid-season finale is where we see a conclusion to the first half of the season consisting of 11-13 episodes. When a show is picked up it is usually picked up for only 13 episodes and the 13th episode is created as a ‘finale’ however if in October/November if the show is picked up for a ‘back 9′ or a ‘back 11′ bringing episode count to 22 or 24 respectively.
        Shonda does this a lot in Grey’s even though she knows the episode count beforehand. Like in the 7th season she had a shooting at a local college in episode 11 to bring the doctors of SGMW hospital to show how much they’ve grown since the season 6 shooting finale. In episode 12 the season progresses with it’s new challenges (Callie’s pregnant, the race for Chief Resident is on, Meredith trying for a kid) that wasn’t there before and gets resolved by season’s end.

2. Ted says:

Awesome episode, next week looks even better :) this is DRAMA love Grey’s Anatomy

3. Sarah says:

I am worried that a fictional hospital may have to close its’ doors. Then I have to remind myself that it’s FICTIONAL. Goodness, I love this show.

4. Robert says:

As I watched the end, the figured either the settlement would bankrupt the hospital or Owen would be forced out. My guess is that when Derek, Meredith, Cristina, Callie, and Arizona learn this they will either reject the settlement or take the money and use it to invest in the hospital with them on the board.

• My vote’s for them investing in the hospital and joining the board. That would be a great storyline.

• Jane says:

Yes. This definately.

• dlferriola says:

That is what I think too. They will throw out this board that caused the airline being chartered in the first place. They will appoint their own directors like Richard, etc.Great episode, fabulous show as always.

• Carrie says:

Agreed. It could become a whole story arc – a hospital funded and run by doctors, not administrators. Doing what is best for patients, not profit and struggling to change policies dictated by insurance companies.

Sidebar: Karev has met his match. How long before we get the “I’m lying to myself and everybody, I love you like I have never loved but I’m scared you will pull an Izzie on me” episode?

• the girl says:

Ugh. I will throw up in my mouth when he gives her that speech. I cannot stand the idea of the two of them falling in love.

• Alichat says:

Yeah, that’s where I went as well. They’ll turn around and put it back into the hospital.

I’m curious to see how Arizona reacts to this, since it was her tantrum that put her on that plane and is now giving the insurance company a loophole.

• susela says:

Well, Callie won’t be on the board since she is not named in the lawsuit. It would just be Derek, Meredith, Christina, and Arizona. And, presumably, Mark’s and Lexie’s heirs, since their estates should be part of the settlement as well.

• Dawn says:

I think I read somewhere a while back that Derek ends up on the Board.

5. Jessica says:

What a great episode tonight and yet I am still HOPING that the end to the whole plane crash storyline and all the characters loss, and sadness does not end in the all too predictable (for weeks fan have been speculating this as a matter of fact) ‘the survivors end up giving the money back to save the hospital’ scenario. When you can see an ending coming from that far away it’s just not good especially considering how complicated this has been. I just hope Shonda Rhimes who has handled all the controversy in last seasons ending plus what she has taken the surviving characters through in the SL this season, does not end it in this super Pollyanna ending to this storyline. It would be really unsatisfying and oh so predictable at the very least. Let’s hope she doesn’t go the easy route on this.

6. Mary says:

Loved the episode! Great, fun interaction between the entire cast. And to top it off, I actually enjoyed the new interns for once!

7. Barbara says:

Grey’s forgot to check with legal advisors. The estates/survivors of the deceased passengers would also have been entitled to recovery, and Arizona and Derek would have gotten a larger award because their injuries were more serious.

• madhatter360 says:

Callie is getting money on Mark’s behalf as she is the mother of his daughter/next-of-kin. I don’t know why Thatcher or Molly aren’t getting money on Lexie’s behalf. Good point about Derek and Arizona. It’s probably just easier from a creative standpoint to give them all the same reward.

• susela says:

I share your quibble, but “Grey’s” has never, ever been about what’s realistic.

8. Jamie says:

I know it’s tv and meant to be fiction but I feel like Shonda doesn’t even TRY to write or cause the staff writers to write realistically anymore…completely not representative of how the lawsuit would have gone down under the law…Cheap lazy writing.

9. Amanda says:

The survivors will buy the hospital. Once a decision has been made…can they reverse it?

• Amanda says:

Oops. And by reversing a decision I mean the fact the judge made the decision that the hospital was at fault can the survivors actually legally turn down the money?

10. sladewilson says:

Great recap but I think Shonda is putting most of her creative thought process into Scandal because EVERYONE saw the whole “hospital closing it’s doors” scenario a mile away….

11. forwarddad says:

This was not a mid season finale that already happened.

12. tiffany says:

That’s my Callie. I Loved how she said she missed Lexie. Finally someone mentions that they miss Lexie. YES. That’s my girl Lexie. Thank you Callie (Sara) You Rule

• ReeRee says:

yeah.. but Meredith had already mentioned Lexie to Richard when she said that this money is Blood money for her sister’s life – All the same, I liked Callie’s perspective!
      That said – I miss Lil Grey like anything!

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Like I didn’t love Callie enough, she has to go and say she misses my Lexie! :)

13. Ashly says:

^Love this! As a fan of Jackson and April, I am SO happy to see them in a good scene. Hopefully their story line will be better the second half of the season.

14. soxfan says:

Three favorite scenes of the night – the toast Callie made to all the plane crash survivors & saying that she missed Mark & Lexie … very endearing scene – Callie has turned out to be the anchor for the doctors so far this season – nice to see Sara Ramirez getting to shine this season. Avery operating on one of Mark’s patients with the results turning out great. Avery has turned into a terrific doctor, of course, thanks, in part, to Mark. Then Avery personally telling April that he is sleeping with Stephanie, which was the smart thing to do – all the while wanting April to tell him she wanted them to get back together. Felt bad for April but all she had to do was say the word but she didn’t. Least favorite scenes – Owen mistaking Jo for Cristina – really? – not funny & Jo spreading the word about what Owen did accidentally – even less funny.

15. A says:

So sick of Crowen. All they do is have sex.

• Ninna says:

And we all thinking something could change. So much talk we saw this episode btw those two!! They don’t even need that!! How grown-up and healthy relationship. What a dream.

16. Greg says:

And Lexie and Mark get nothing because they are dead…? Their estates would be getting a bigger settlement than the rest of the victims, yet it was somehow left out

• madhatter360 says:

I commented earlier about this. I don’t know what’s going on with Lexie’s estate, but the whole reason Callie gets money is because of Mark’s estate, since she’s the mother of his child/next-of-kin. She said at one point she was there representing him or something.

• Tom says:

The amounts are definitely disproportionate but Callie is the beneficiary for Mark due to Sofia and I would assume Molly is Lexie’s beneficiary but maybe Mere was acting on her behalf in the meetings due to the fact that she’s an Army wife. I was disappointed that those things weren’t addressed but it might have felt unnatural or too expository.

17. kavyn says:

Avery and April are the only couple I ship, and I am not a known shipper.

18. Ana says:

Please, no Jo and Alex. It’s beyond creepy. She’s too young. And honestly, their interaction doesn’t feel authentic. It feels forced. Still don’t get why Callie, the trust fund baby, is so concerned about the money. Loved her bit about the babysitters. I liked the episode but like the previous ones, it felt disjointed. There’s too much going on and its too distracting. Avery and Stephanie just wrong. He’s proving to be the new manwhore when he decided to do it with the intern while supposedly being into April. Webber and Catherine, unnecessary screen time. Let the man mourn in peace without trying to get him a new girlfriend. Too, too rushed. One observation: funny how Callie and Arizona barely kiss on screen, let alone have a love scene yet people are gropping each other all over the place. Tonight, Stephanie got more action out of Tessa than Callie or Arizona have ever gotten out of each other…

• samantha says:

Alex is in his early 30s and Jo is in her mid to late 20s. How is she too young? There is/was a bigger age difference between Meredith/Derek, Cristina/Burke, Cristina/Owen, Mark/Lexie . Those couples have AT LEAST a 10 year age difference, whilst Alex and Jo have a 5 year age difference.

• Ninna says:

The problem is that in real life the difference of ages is bigger and that translate on screen. She really seems disproportionate for him. But…will see.

• Raver says:

talking real life age difference, Izzie was Alex’s MFEO girl.. in real life Heigl is much younger than Justin Chambers (8 years!) so that is absurd to object against Jo-Alex!

• Ninna says:

Camila L is 28 or 29 years old and Justin is 42 years old. So, it’s not that absurd that difference translate on the screen.

• Ninna says:

Not to speak that Heighl had a more charismatic presence than Camila that seems a little teen. And is also this what people are seeing on the screen.

• Ana says:

Thank you for explaining what I thought was self-evident but I guess not everyone sees it. Although Camilla is 29 she looks way younger than that. And the fact that they play around like little kids doesn’t help in making them look like a mature, grounded (possible) couple. And I agree with you. Even though Katherine Heigl was also considerably younger than Justin she had an undeniable screen presence and maturity that exceeded her years, and her chemistry with Justin was off the charts. Unfortunately, that is a dynamic that is completely missing from the Jo/Alex pairing.

• Cursor says:

Honestly, I never saw Heigl’s chemistry with Justin. I may be in the minority, but the couple was boring and it is sad that the only big story Alex ever had was with Izzie in season 5. And Izzie wasn’t that mature either. Sorry but you can’t call a person who abandon her husband and leaves her friends behind without any explanation mature. Also, she blamed that guy who called her a bitch in Season 6 for getting fired but the truth is that it was her fault. A doctor should be able to work with her worst enemy and that shouldn’t affect her work. She could hate the guy, it was her right, but she let him affect her work and that’s not what a good doctor does. I don’t hate the Karev/Wilson thing, they are growing on me. but I agree she looks a little bit young next to him.

• madhatter360 says:

While I agree with your points, I have to nitpick a little. Meredith implies (if not outright states) that she spent time doing other things before she went to medical school, so she’d be a little older than the typical intern when she started. Christina is stated to have a PhD, so she’d also be somewhat older than the typical intern when she started. They’d still be a lot younger than Derek/Burke/Owen etc, but not by as much as others might have been.

• Dawn says:

You’re absolutely right. They’ve never said how old Cristina and Meredith are. Cristina does have a PhD but Meredith only traveled Europe for a summer with Sadie. That would have made her around 22-23 when she started med school. Lexie was 24 when she started sleeping with Mark in season five because she skipped third grade. Izzie put herself through college (night school) so heaven only knows how old she was really supposed to be, but she always looked late 20’s to me, even in the beginning.

• Jan says:

During their internship year it was mentioned that Meredith was 5 years old when her father left. It was also mentioned it had been twenty years since her father had left which would have made Meredith 25,

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

Having a PhD/MD doesn’t always take extra years, UCSF has a combined program that is four years on average, same as med school on its own.

19. Karen says:

My heart just broke when Jackson told April. But on the positive side, I am loving this whole Karev/Wilson thing

20. Mary says:

If the hospital files for bankruptcy they don’t have to pay out the settlement and they get nothing.

21. Khwaish says:

Thatcher’s busy in DC with Ellis.

22. Jess says:

Awesome episode, this drama make Grey’s Anatomy the best show ever, and next week will be even better. LOVE GREY’S ANATOMY and the hospital will survive :)

23. A says:

I may be in the minority but I’m kinda starting to like the interns.

• Ana says:

I hate to admit it but they are beginning to grow on me too. I liked Tina Marjorino from the get go but could not stand Leah or Stephanie. I still don’t like Stephanie, especially since she’s sleeping with Avery, but Leah won major brownie points with me. In last night’s episode she was mature and level headed. She didn’t come across as the needy mean girl that was desperate for Karev’s attention and competing with Stephanie. And Shane also shows a lot of potential. Although if he becomes an over-the-top, insufferable brownnoser he will quickly fall from grace…

24. Krystan says:

Dr. Smash Williams! Since no one really knows the interns names, can we petition to have this changed? Maybe toss in a “I played football in college” reference. I really hope Tina Majorno (or Mac as I call her) gets more screen time. I loved having her shine this episode. I am not a fan of Leah or Stephanie. I can get used to Wilson.

25. BrianR says:

Looks like a settlement of 1 million apiece would be most likely as affordable to the hospital Also wouldn’t their insutance carrier have to sign off on any contracts with aircracft charter companies and such as well as just Hunt.

26. Vic says:

This was a fun episode but I wish the plane crash lawsuit would go away. There are so many loopholes in it that it’s hard to take is seriously. Jo is Izzie 2.0 so they’ll sleep together soon. The best part of the episode is Cris telling Derek she already knew Mere is pregnant and at the end where Mere announced it, Cris was so happy for her.

27. Irene says:

The chemistry between Alex and Jo is all wrong. It just doesn’t feel right. I would like to see Alex find someone who actually cares for him and that he can care about. Maybe a doctor instead of an intern?

28. Roz says:

I agree with those commentators who have mentioned Sloane, Mark, Lexie. Would it have taken much for Meredith to say “My Dad just left. He gets Lexie’s, not that it makes him any the less devastated” and for Arizona to say “Mark’s money gets split between Sloane and Sofia” They could have even got Jeff Perry in for a few scenes seeing as he works on another Shonda show.

The lack of Sloane, Thatcher, Molly mentions even IN PASSING suggests that the old writers have moved on and the new writers don’t know the characters like the viewers do. Maybe don’t even recollect Sloane.

I remember once Callie said she was on the phone to her sister having previously said that she was her fathers only daughter. There have been one or two other examples like that.

The fact that neither Bailey nor Callie went to Addison’s wedding or referred to the fact she was even getting married is also bogus.

As for the interns Heather, Jo, and Shane are keepers. Leah is a bit of a nothing character they havent even fleshed her out, the way that Jo is foster kid done good, Shane is the young man looking for a mentor and Heather is “the weird one” same with Stephanie she is literally just the awkward obstacle which will eventually evaporate as Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew play out the latest will they/won’t they OF COURSE THEY WILL plot. Nothing really left for Jerrika Hinton to do then.

29. Groomes says:

I just like the valuable information you supply to your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and test again right here frequently.