Revenge Boss Previews a 'Powerful' Tragedy, Emily/Aiden At Odds and Amanda's 'Darker' Path

Revenge Season 2 SpoilersAfter just one week back on the air, ABC’s Revenge is preparing to hit fans with a few tragic departures, some romantic kerfuffles and a return to ruthlessness for one individual.

Here, Revenge creator Mike Kelley details all of that and more — including what to expect on the rocky road to a midseason spectacle that finds The Amanda six feet under and why Emily and Aiden’s future will soon be called into question.

TRAGIC TAKEDOWN | Revenge‘s now-signature midseason climax is slated to take place in Episode 14 (the season’s 11th installment airs this Sunday), and Kelley assures us it will not disappoint. Leading up to the big event — which finds the Porters’ beloved boat sinking with one or more Hamptonites on board — “there are more weddings and more deaths,” he shares. And then, “There is a shake-up in the Hamptons and Emily’s world [will] be pretty rocked — as are the people who watch the show.” When asked how Season 2′s game-changer compares to last year’s “killer” Fire & Ice Ball, Kelley promises, “The emotional resonance of this particular tragedy is going to be a lot more powerful. This is as powerful emotionally as last year was shock-wise.”

RELATED | Revenge Boss Reveals Plans to ‘Solidify’ Victoria as a Villain, Clarify The Initiative’s Big Plan

‘AIDILY’: IT’S COMPLICATED | Emily and Aiden may have “broken up” last week, but their love story is far from over. “I am enjoying them as a couple and I’m enjoying learning more about him and what they share,” Kelley relays. “As we move through the next few episodes, especially Episode 13, we’re exploring how the presence of Aiden — the mere existence of him — gives Emily the sense that she’s not entirely alone.” That said, their road to romance will not be without its bumps. “There’s gong to be a huge loyalty challenge between them,” he reveals, “because Aiden’s very complicated; he’s got his own drama and agenda…. Just as their passion and commitment to each other is growing stronger, they’ll find themselves at odds mission-wise.”

RELATED | Revenge Hot Shots: Ashley Returns by [Spoiler]‘s Side, Daniel Takes on Dylan Walsh

Revenge Season 2 SpoilersFRENEMY REDUX | Once a bit kooky, Amanda Clarke has, of late, become Revenge‘s voice of reason. Has the murderous imposter hung up her crazytown banana pants for good? Not quite, says Kelley. “The thing about Amanda is that she’s a survivor,” he shares. “She’s going to have a challenge coming up…. In order to save what she has going on with Jack, there’s going to be a choice she has to make that will involve a betrayal of Emily.” Said double-cross “is quite deep,” he adds, “and will set [these former friends] on a darker path as foils once again.” But don’t let Margarita Levieva‘s non-series regular status fool you: Kelley assures that Amanda is “a character that we love who has endless opportunity to give us story.”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

1. greysfan says:

I can’t wait and i bet you that the thing that will rock Emily’s world is someone, my guess Victoria, finds out who she really is. Revenge Season 2 has been awesome and hope it keeps up.

• Joann says:

I love danial and emiliy together they look good on screen as well as off screen because we all know that there dating off screen so love them both:) aiden can fall off a cliff for all I care

• Deme says:

I’ve enjoyed it too! But I don’t that secret is being revealed to Vic just yet. Which makes me even more excited because I have no idea what it could be.

• Ann Ander says:

Love the show but I am getting really, really irritated with all of the breaks in programming! Why another 3 week break? HBO and SHOWTIME and AMC NEVER do this! This is why I no longer start any new series on the mainstream channels. NEVER AGAIN! You should all complain as well and maybe they will stop torturing us.

2. nikki says:

I really hope Declan is the dead one.

• mitzermoo says:

sounds so cruel when you put it in words. I don’t think it’s Declan. There’s some storyline with Charlotte coming up in season 3 maybe.

3. Elle says:

I kinda hope it’s Jack – the actor is so boring and I never picture him with Emily. Running out of storyline for him.

4. Chicago Dan says:

The show really needs to focus more on the Emily/Amanda relationship. One because their histories are so intertwined and each decision invariably impacts the other. Two, the actresses are really great together. ML is loads of fun to watch when she starts messing with people.

• Jon says:

True the whole Emily/Amanda relationship is one of my favorite parts of the show and hopefully they’ll show more of that.

• mitzermoo says:

I agree with both of you. Amanda and Emily could be a great team if Emily wasn’t so unsure of Amanda. But word is they have a “clash” and Amanda betrays Emily. Surely she doesn’t expose their true idenities because there’s no point in it for her.

5. mia says:

I really love Emily/Aidan; they’re so well suited for each other and I love how they can be the closest thing to themselves that they can be with each other.

• Eliza says:

I love the Emily/Aiden pairing too. I always knew it wouldn’t be a smooth road but I do hope they stay loyal to one another at the end of the day.

• Beth says:

Even though Emily and Aiden are both head-strong, independent, and on a mission of Revenge, their mission is the same (which I thank Mike Kelley for his writing brilliance) and they will always have that connection, understanding, and loyalty…

• Deme says:

This relationship is made of win. Emily seems to breath a sigh of relief whenever Aiden is around. I’m looking forward to them being tested and hopefully coming out more deeply connected.

• Beth says:

Yes, the best part of season 2 for me was Aiden’s introduction and the unfolding of his story & his connection to Emily, and the unfolding of their romance which has been sooo much fun to watch! They have much more they can do with that romance so I am hoping Mike Kelley milks it out for a looong time :D Aiden and Emily are a power couple!

• Robin says:

I find the whole ‘sister’ issue Aiden has is ridiculous. Aiden and Emily are an exciting couple to watch so let’s concentrate on that. Nolan is very important as well.

• Alice says:

I really enjoy them as well. It’s hard to really respect te guys in her other romantic relationships because they never catch on to her deception. So Jack and Daniel just look incredibly weak and gullible in order to maintain the plot device of Emily’s secret identity. Giving her a partner who isn’t in the dark makes him seem as strong as she as, and Emily needs an equal.

• Deme says:

Exactly. Daniel & Jack comes across as boys. Aiden, a man, and a very passionate, sensual one at that. It’s almost embarassing watching her with the other two.

6. Ella says:

My guess is that Jack dies on the boat and the faux-Amanda will seek revenge. But it is just a guess. This show always surprises and the reveal of who is on the boat won’t disappoint.

• Chloe says:

I hope you’re right but there are so many Jack/Emily fans, that I have a feeling the show wouldn’t want to kill him off. I sure wouldn’t miss him. The boat has more personality than he does.

• moobear says:

I would say the boat has more intelligence then the Porter brothers combined! If either or both of them bites the dust, I’d be happy.

• mitzermoo says:

I’ve got my bet on Jack, too. And faux Amanda will seek revenge. Maybe that’s what the clip was where she’s threatening Conrad Grayson. Too bad he’s not on the boat. Maybe Amanda blames Emily for the boat explosion and that causes the rift between them?

7. Kristina says:

I’ve actually been enjoying this new version of Amanda. Hate they’re taking her back to the way she was. And it seems very weird that she’d betray Emily.

8. shuayb says:

Ugh I hate Fauxmanda. I hope she just leaves for a while. she’s so disgusting.

9. Frankieboy says:

LOVE fauxmanda! She brings some sassy-ness to the show that some other characters seem to lack. You never know what to expect from her, I like that.

10. rachel says:

I hate Fauxmanda, awful character and actress. Don’t care about her even a tiny bit. Love Emily and Aiden together. Get rid of Delcan and Fauxmanda.

• kavyn says:

Totally disagree. You should watch The Invisible, she’s phenomenal in that movie. Don’t confuse your hatred for a character and the actor’s ability to portray said character. I personally love Amanda’s character, especially now in the second season.

11. Viv says:

Amanda has become my favorite on the show. In a way, she was Emily’s first victim and, as much I like seeing them together, it’ll be nice to see her question her devotion to Emily. I just hope Amanda survives the season.

12. Alichat says:

(When asked how Season 2′s game-changer compares to last year’s “killer” Fire & Ice Ball, Kelley promises, “The emotional resonance of this particular tragedy is going to be a lot more powerful. This is as powerful emotionally as last year was shock-wise.”)

I don’t really understand what he’s saying in this statement. I mean, 90% of viewers KNEW it was Tyler getting whacked on the beach, and that Takeda had something to do with it. By the time the reveal aired, it really wasn’t that shocking. So that leaves the emotional resonance level sitting pretty low.

• Matthew Daniel says:

I beg to differ with you on this because as much as people love Daniel, that does not mean it would have been Tyler. A lot of people liked Tyler as a villain, and as far as Takeda goes, one can always make guesses, but can never know until the moment airs.

• Alichat says:

My point was this…..he says that this death will be as emotionally powerful as last year’s death was shocking. But last year’s death wasn’t shocking. Based upon conversations with everyone I know who watches the show, and loads of fan comments on this site and many, many others, most people knew that Daniel wasn’t going to die. If they weren’t certain, they had a pretty good feeling that he wasn’t the dead guy on the beach. So, it wasn’t shocking, therefore, how emotionally resonant will this death be? This time around, could it be someone that fans really love and will miss? Yes. But based on last year’s ep, and Victoria’s “resurrection” in this season’s premiere, the producers and writers don’t have a good track record of doing that.

• ren says:

true. i already knew they wouldn’t kill of daniel because he had a lot of fans at that point and they didn’t want to lose the viewers who loved daniel… what a let down. so they went for the safe bet and killed off the predictable loose cannon who didn’t really have any emotional standing for viewers. it wasn’t even shocking because we knew it wouldn’t be daniel… who else resembled daniel from the back? not nolan, jack had longer hair and so did declan. that was a let down. i wish they would for once just take the damn risk and kill off a major character (like the walking dead) and not keep them for safety out of fear.

• aciel says:

i agree i just wish that the writers are willing to take that risk if the writers took that risk then the show wouldn’ve had more viewers. i just wish that it wasnt so predictable

• Mimi says:

Does anyone remember Emily gave Tyler and Amanda 5 millions dollards blackmail money???!!!

• Katy says:

I was shocked by Takeda’s part in the Fire&Ice ending. Up to that point, I thought he was there to support Emily’s agenda. His framing of Daniel showed us that he had his own agenda.

• Caitlin says:

Yes, I’m sure that everyone knew that it was really Tyler who was going to die and that Takeda had something to do with it. I mean, it was so obvious, even from the very first episode… Ummm, no. Ever heard of hindsight bias?

• Alichat says:

Yes, I have heard of hindsight bias. Doesn’t apply here. I knew Daniel wasn’t the dead guy and that Tyler was the dead guy before the episode aired.

• Victoria says:

I agree. Even if some knew Daniel wasn’t dead, I don’t think it was a majority of fans.

• mitzermoo says:

I thought it was Daniel. But – I hadn’t read any of the spoilers so I was surprized it was Tyler. What surprized me more was Takeda shooting Tyler in the back just so Daniel would be blamed. What’s up with Takeda? He’s a mystery character I’d like to see more of. However, I hate the thug looking guy playing the part now – just doesn’t fit with the suave, worldly Takeda of the first season.

13. Arielle says:

You cannot kill Jack! He is Em and Nolan’s bff. I love these 3, and miss their scenes together.

• Andrew says:

Same here. What they really need to do is get rid of these stupid Ryan brothers. I realize they probably set this storyline up to give Jack something to do, but there’s nothing interesting about it. I’d rather have Jack slinging up drinks and pining for Emily instead (even though that gets old after a while, too).

The only “emotional” thing that could happen, in my opinion, is that Fauxmanda and Jack lose their baby.

• Jackie says:

I would love to get rid of the Ryan brothers too, particularly Kenny’s brother. And yes I agree in that killing the baby would certainly be a huge emotional thing.

• Val says:

I love Jack, and his relationship to Nolan and Emily too, but its been very clear to me for a while that Kelley has decided he’s not interested in his story (which also makes him a liar since he said quite differently after the end of season ), and its also obvious that he’s ALL about this being the Aiden show. I don’t understand why, but that character has taken over this season, and now he and Emily are all true love 4ever, or something. I think I’ll be bailing out on this show after this season is done. It’s just not the show I’d hoped it would be.

• Jeremy says:

Agreed, he was what made Season 1 for me, I’d just die if they kill him off.

• mitzermoo says:

A lot of us are losing interest in the concept of the Aiden character. The writers could have turned this whole thing a bit more positive by making the Stowaway a profitable pub – maybe Nolan buys into it and infuses some cash and Jack can “class it up.” Instead, they bring in the drugies – Kenny and Nate Ryan. Yuk.

I’d rather see Jack in a positive role instead of the pitiful role they have him in since he is one of the reasons we watched in the first place.

I wonder about Emily’s ability for intimacy or sincerity because of her denial of her feelings for Jack, faking feelings for Daniel (knowing she is lying and breaking his heart because he loves her) and seems so subissive in her interactions with Aiden – she’s quite a chamleon.

14. Scott says:

Absolutely love Aiden with Emily!! I think the problem with Jack is he doesn’t have chemistry with Emily

• Victoria says:

ITA!!! I love Aiden!!! I have never enjoyed Jack’s character because he’s soooo boring and simple. He’s like a child–very naive, black & white, and self righteous. I’ve never thought he and Emily have chemistry and never wanted them together. I wouldn’t be crushed if his character is the one that dies. He’s the most boring character on the show. Sorry Jack

• mitzermoo says:

Are you kidding? When they kissed when Sammy died in their arms – fireworks went off for both of them.

15. N says:

Love Faux Amanda!

16. Gl says:

Love Emily and aiden together. Hope it lasts. Nolan is always great too.

17. Sarah R. says:

So glad they finally showed that Padma is part of the initiative. But I hope Nolan figures it out. I’d hate to see him”crash and burn” because he’s such a compassionate character. But it leaves me wondering about Marco and his loyalty to Nolan or if Marco is part of the Initiative too.

18. MaryAnn says:

I really hope Jack is not the one to die. He is Emily’s oldest and best link to what she was before she set out on her path to revenge. They just need to get rid of those two criminal brothers that framed Jack. If they lose Jack there will be nothing to directly remind Emily of her childhood.

SPOILER ALERT

As for Padma? I am deeply deeply disappointed that she is part of the initiative. I thought Nolan had finally found someone to love and trust.

• Alice says:

As much as I love Nolan, poor man has terrible choices in relationships. People were criticizing the show earlier because all the gay characters were “bad” (Tyler, Marco) so in a way, I’m glad Padma’s also not very good. It would have sent a weird message if all Nolan’s troubles were solved by deciding to date a girl instead.

He needs someone really, really awesome though. Because when Nolan is sad, the world is a grey place. It’s like when Alan Tudyk looks sad…it’s just wrong.

19. Danny says:

Damn, I was hoping it was Amanda who died. Then Jack would be a single father and it would open the way to him and Emily being together. I’m sure Aiden will die and the Ryan brothers, people who don’t really matter. Then more boring Initiative stuff until the end of the season. This show has gone off the rails. They really need to fix it. I miss Tyler. He was a cool villain.

20. Pama says:

Does anyone else find it interesting that both Ashley & Padma return in the same episode. I think we will find out that Ashley is part of the Initiative too.

21. Deme says:

This sounds riveting! I’m glad Aiden is safe. My favorite new character. Who am I kidding, Aiden is my 2nd favorite character. I’m loving the development of his and Ems relationship. Glad she’ll have him when her world is rocked.

• Victoria says:

Sadly I don’t think anything in this article says Aiden is safe. :( Previews say the person wwho dies will do it for Emily. I hope it’s Jack. His character has never interested me. Even last season I didn’t want he and Emily together. TEAM AIDILY!

22. Jeremy says:

All I can say is the body better not be Jack or I’m out. The reason why Jack sucks so much this season is because the writers gave him a cr*p storyline and no scenes with Emily. Emily and Jack are still my OTP so the writers better have the sense not to do that.

23. Caitlin says:

I loved Emily and Jack in Season 1, but now I just don’t see them being in a relationship. I used to want them together so bad, but now that Jack and Amanda have a baby, everything has changed. Still, I really hope that it’s not Jack who dies. I’m hoping that it’s the Ryan brothers, well at least Nate, or maybe Aiden. I like Aiden and Emily together, but I think that he will always put his agenda over Emily’s, and that makes me not trust him.

• Alice says:

I agree. I think there was a time when they had potential, but the show has moved beyond that point. And really, after being clueless for so long, Jack just doesn’t seem bright enough for Emily. I don’t want him to die, because I do think that the connections Emily has to her past are what keep her from becoming a sociopath. But I also don’t want him to become a darker person so that he and Emily are less disparate and match up better. I am, however, all about Aiden and Emily together. Aiden has a ways to go, but I think that has potential.

• Deme says:

This is it perfectly. I would be thoroughly surprise and pleased if Mike Kelley continue on this path which you have stated. Jack her innocent past which she needs and Aiden her future who understands her presently.

24. Amanda says:

I think fake amanda and Declan will die leaving jack to raise Carl by himself plotting revenge and having Emily close to help him but they will not be together I think she should be with aiden.

25. Condo lady says:

It won’t be Amanda because there is a new story line for her coming up. It won’t be Aiden because there is a new story line for him also coming up.it won’t be the ryan brothers because one has just got into bed with old man Grayson. And no one would be devastated if they died anyway.it could be Jack because Emily does have feelings for him and would cry if he died. Declan not so much.he is not a main character and no one would miss him.Victoria, no.definitely not Nolan. With out him and Emily revenge would not be on tv.aim going with who ever is shot, is said to be dead. Then next season opener they are at the hospital on life support and eventually recovers.

26. ylopez says:

get back to original story line. you are losing viewers including me.

27. missy says:

I think it will be Nolan…which makes me so sad! I love his character and the relationship between him and Ems.

28. Joe Mama says:

Ratings are going to crap. Why ??? A 3 week break at christmas and now another 3 week break to see the last episode. Looks like cancellation self suicide. 7 – 10 million viewers before the first break and now down to 5,7 million viewers because us …. the viewer has to put up with an ADHD type schedule. Good bye Emily, it was nice watching while we could.

29. olga says:

I like Jack and Aiden. I hope they will safe…

30. julie says:

I hope to god Nolan doesn’t die!! It would be shocking for the show but it can’t happen!! :-/

31. Mitzermoo says:

I think the lost viewership is due to the content in season 2. We’re all sick to death of the Initiative, bored with the Stoway, leary of Aiden and his shady/unknown past. Get back to Emily and Nolan! Let them take down the Initiative with that backup of the documents so Emily can dole out some revenge to the people screwing with Nolan’s company.

32. Revenge fan says:

Emily and jack makes the best couple

33. revengelover says:

I think the show is going way off topic. If we are going to be subjected to the plot line of The Initiative we need to know more about them. Who they are and what they want. Btw why hasn’t anyone bugged Emily or Nolan’s house by know or their cell phones? ??

34. Gayle says:

Wish I understood why Aiden’s character seems to get so much screen time, especially at the expense of other characters (like Nolan) who used to have a much bigger role. No offense to the actor, but it’s like the entire show is now built around him

• Deme says:

I think it’s because there’s a mysterious element to his character. After 12 episodes and the development of his relationship with Emily, people are still wondering if he can be trusted. Which is probably a writer’s dream, discovering a character. Which is pretty much what Mike Kelley stated in the article. On the other hand the other male characters are pretty cliche except Nolan and Conrad. Of course those characters play a part in moving the story.

35. Carm says:

I love Aiden and Emily together. Please do not kill him.

36. rena says:

I really enoyed Revenge but it is turning into a soap opera thing. First the Graysons divorce then remarry, then all these other people keep turning up who don’t seem to be relevant to the show. Isn’t Nolan supposed to be gay now he is sleeping with what’s her name!! Come on writers get back to a good show.

37. Therese says:

Ok we know it is a man who dies and he will be sadly missed. As long as it isn’t Aiden, Jack, or Nolan I will be happy. I love these characters and Emily needs them alive.

38. Jamison says:

I know Aiden seems all dark and mysterious… Has a sexy accent too. But I feel like Emily and Aiden’s relationship is built on the foundation of plotting and agenda. I would love to see Aiden unfold as a villian. He would be brilliant and have the greatest potential to bring Emily down. It would make for a spectacular showdown. I love Emily and Daniel together. They have a lot in common and have potential to balance each other out. Daniel has made Emily second guess her plan to destroy everyone who hurt her and her father. I would love for her to tell Daniel the truth about who she is, or have it come out that he has known for awhile because she told him or he figured it out and has been waiting for Emily to open up…. Daniel is a good guy with a kind heart, but has potential to be ruthless… He is a Greyson after all. I see so much potential for these two.

39. jane doe says:

If you pause still the part the 2 people are jumping off the boat, you can see that its Emily (see her jacket) and Amanda (with her dress and long hair strands) so that says WHO DIES ARE JACK AND NATE>

40. liv says:

I love Emily and Aiden together , they are such a lovely couple ,
    hopefully it wont be AIden who turns up dead .

41. Jen Hunz says:

I don’t think they should kill off Jack or Aidan sadly I have a feeling it will be one of them. I agree that the writers have given Jack a lame storyline this season but I think that connection is still there. I’m hoping it will be faux Amanda but not really sure that will be devastating for many viewers. I want to go back and watch episode 1 to see the fast forward be because I can’t remember the details alas I can’t find it. Now I’m nailbitingy waiting for Sunday. 😬

42. Josephine says:

Why did the kill Amanda who’s really Amanda off the show I’m so upset????

43. Josephine says:

They****

44. Rachel says:

The fake Amanda dies from an explosion on the boat

45. Chanel says:

I absolutely love revenge, I’m so sad that i dont have more episodes to watch on a daily basis. I absolutely love Emily and Aiden together. I am nail-biting waiting to see who is going to find out first who is going to discover Emily’s true identity first. I have a suspician that it will be Charlotte or perhaps Jack but my moneys on Charlotte. I think Charlotte would be able to provide a great deal of assistance to Emily. Goodness I just want season 3 already:’(