Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey's, Glee, Smash, Once, Revenge, Dexter, Revolution and More!

blog_aa_1.8.13Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Just want to say hello? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Any more Smash scoop other than what was revealed in your preview story about the first two episodes? —JC
Ausiello: Did you hear about the Will & Grace reunion that wasn’t? Because although Sean Hayes will be guest-starring on Smash, it turns out he doesn’t share a single scene with former NBC sitcom castmate Debra Messing. Was new Smash boss Josh Safran worried that putting the two together would be too on the nose? “It wasn’t so much that, but that it wouldn’t have been organic to do it,” he explains to TVLine. With Hayes playing the lead of another Broadway show, “It would have looked like just a stunt because [his and Julia's] storylines are not related at all. I felt like the audience would have known that we were forcing something.”

VIDEO | Smash First Look: Watch the Spoilery New Trailer!

Question: Any developments in your campaign to get Anna Camp back on The Good Wife. —Melinda
Ausiello: A major one, actually. “We have a [creative] way to make it work,” reports exec producer Robert King. “We’re just trying to see if we can make the dates work.” Complicating matters a smidge: Camp is already juggling two recurring roles (on Fox’s The Mindy Project and CBS’ Vegas) and she’s about to dive head-first into pilot season. “We love Anna,” adds fellow EP Michelle King. “So [hopefully] there’s a way to make it work.”

gleeQuestion: Safe to say a Glee spin-off is officially off the table now that the New York-Lima split focus seems to be working? —Sam
Ausiello: It’s very safe to say, particularly since Fox president Kevin Reilly pretty much confirmed it on Tuesday. “I don’t think there’ll be a spin-off per se,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “What ultimately came of the spin-off talk was, ‘Let’s do it within the franchise.’ It’s like life. You have friends, they go off, their lives go on, you maybe lose distance…. We can do that within this world. That’s the nature of the [show's] relationship with the actors too. Some of them want to move on to other things, but…. this gives them the chance to come back and do an arc, to do an episode. It’ll be fun to continue that kind of morphing.”

Question: Will you give us another hint about the couple breaking up from your blind item? —Christina C
Ausiello: I won’t, but Shonda Rhimes will! The Grey’s Anatomy creator took to Twitter earlier this week to deny that any of the show’s major couples will be splitting up by season’s end, thereby narrowing down the list of possibilities to eight. This thing’s getting serious, people!

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Question: Obsessed with American Horror Story: Asylum. Got anything?! —Nick
Ausiello: That makes two of us, Nick. This Wednesday there is a pretty significant death, yet another wackadoodle wrinkle with regards to Kit and Grace’s baby and a major setback for Sister Jude. Also, the way is paved for Lana to slip out of Briarcliff — though to do so she will need to literally get past Dr. Thredson first! Oh, and Dylan McDermott out-icks last season’s crying masturbation scene. Really.

Question: Any Dexter Season 8 scoopage beyond what you reported on Monday? —Mona
Ausiello: Yes. Producers have quietly begun looking for a 6-year-old boy to play a 4-year-old boy throughout S8, which makes me wonder if Harrison is going to experience a growth spurt between seasons.

haddieQuestion: Have we seen the last of Haddie this season on Parenthood? —Kim
Ausiello: Affirmative. “The Christmas episode was the last we see of her this season,” confirms exec producer Jason Katims. “We’re hoping if we come back next season to do more stories with her. It is challenging because you’re trying to be real, and the reality is that she’s 3,000 miles away.” Haddie, or actually her portrayer Sarah Ramos, will next seen as a patient of Violet’s in the Jan. 22 Private Practice finale.

Question: Weren’t we supposed to meet Conrad’s son from his first marriage on Revenge this season? —Donna
Ausiello: Yes, but those plans continue to be on hold. “We can wait a little while to meet Conrad’s first family,” notes series creator Mike Kelley.

Question: Any update on the introduction of Nolan’s mom on Revenge? —Amber
Ausiello: It’s happening… at some point. “There’s definitely an intention to explore all of our characters’ histories and family ties, so the answer to that is yes,” says Kelley. “We have all of these things sitting in a waiting room, and we’re just waiting for the right moment to explore them all. The immediate plan is to start resolving the stories that we’ve got now.”

Question: Big-picture Lying Game question — do the producers envision a show where both twins are out in the open? —Tara
Ausiello: Big-picture answer: Yes. “I don’t want to say exactly, but from the very beginning we’ve called it The Twin Show, and that’s the logical next thing to happen,” explains exec producer Chuck Pratt Jr. “You’ll see in this season we’ve kind of already accomplished that. [Emma and Sutton] are in more scenes together than they’ve ever been; one’s living in secret and they switch back and forth a couple of times. So, we really feel like we’re already doing it. When the story of the past and what happened to Derek and all of that comes out, at some point they’ll have to find out. Mads found out [last season], and other people are going to find out this season until it gets to the point of, well, who doesn’t know? We just want to make sure we’ve gotten the most we can out of The Prince and the Pauper before we move into The Parent Trap.”

Question: Anything on Revolution? —Pete
Ausiello:On the casting front, Eric Kripke tells us we’ll be seeing “a lot more” of Colm Feore (as the mysterious Randall) and Mark Pellegrino (as militia meanie Jeremy Baker). He also had new scoop on ER alum Leland Orser’s character, John Sanborn — that he’s an old scientist colleague of Rachel’s.

pelantQuestion: Thank you for giving that cool Sweets’ scoop during your new Spoiler Alert!. So in honor of that and the fantastic news of Bones‘ renewal. Anything on Booth and Brennan for the end of the season that hasn’t been teased before? —Cassidy
Ausiello: How about a few additional details about Pelant’s return later this month? “He’s coming back in a really extreme way,” teases exec producer Stephen Nathan of the 24-esque episode. “He has somehow gotten himself another identity and has installed himself in a Blackwater-type organization where he has access to military equipment.” Nathan also confirms that the episode opens with “a body being discovered in Angela and Hodgins’ bed,” adding, “Pelant has [clearly] been in their house. And they have a child. So it really escalates the story.”

Question: Okay, seriously. When are Schmidt and Cece getting back together on New Girl? I can’t stand them being apart! —Andy
Ausiello: You may see some movement on that front by season’s end. But for now, Cece remains “on her path to marry an Indian guy” in light of her prematurely ticking biological clock, reveals series creator Liz Meriwether. “She’s very much setting out for her mom to set up an arranged marriage for her. And Schmidt is dealing with that and trying to undermine her a little bit.”

Question: Any scoop on the second season of television’s most criminally underrated show, HBO’s Enlightened?  —Sascha
Ausiello: Amy joins Twitter and takes an unorthodox approach to building her follower count. Also, look for her to forge an unlikely alliance in her mission to destroy Abaddonn, and a major character departs very early in the season. Oh, and Season 2 is absolutely terrific. I watched all eight episode in one sitting. I didn’t want it to end.

Question: How was your holidays? Received any gifts worth sharing about? —KM
Ausiello: Yes, but I’m holding the big reveal for Comic-Con. It’ll be worth the wait. Trust me.

Question: Looking for a Once Upon A Time scoop. —Sara
Ausiello: Your search is over. The ABC hit is casting the 20-year-old version of Regina’s father as well as his fourtysomething father, presumably to take part in the same flashback that features Rose McGowan as Young Cora.

Question: Jim left for Philadelphia on The Office, but does that mean John Krasinski will be off the show for a while? —Graham
Ausiello: That’s actually not what that means. As exec producer Greg Daniels explains, we will follow Jim to his new sports marketing job in the City of Brotherly love. “We’ll show you his office in our next episode,” Daniels reveals. “It’s very different [compared to] Scranton. It’s in a converted old industrial building and it’s all concrete; it’s very cool. It’s a very different vibe from the Scranton office.” Daniels says viewers will see Jim realize “the brilliant career” he always dreamed of. Bonus Scoop: Office producer (and onetime NBC boss) Ben Silverman will recur as one of Jim’s new colleagues. “He’s actually quite good,” Daniels says with a laugh. “I couldn’t believe it. We’re kind of starting to write toward him as if he’s an actor.”

Question: Oh, great TV guru, I’m in dire need for some Scandal scoop. I’ll send you some delicious Costa Rican coffee if you answer me. —Mateo
Ausiello: Rumor has it the Grim Reaper’s about to make a cameo. (And I’ll see your Costa Rican coffee, and raise you a case of Diet Coke.)

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman and Megan Masters)

1. Renee says:

Glad to hear we’ll be seeing more of Mark Pellegrino on Revolution.

2. Greg says:

Really sucks that Enlightened is only 8 episodes. I am glad it was renewed but it really should have been for 10 episodes.

3. Larry McD says:

Forget Anna Camp in Good Wife, when will they bring back Carrie Preston’s terrific character.

4. Jessica says:

I’m glad that Ausiello’s blind item isn’t about Meredith & Derek or Callie & Arizona. I like both couples and don’t want to see either couple broken up just because there is nothing left to do. Both MerDer & Calzona seem like they have commited marriages and it would take an awful lot for them to seperate or get a divorce.

5. Dave says:

So now it is clear. All of the Blind Item clues point to only one show now! Castle and Caskett are the show with the couple that is breaking up. Especially with Ryan saying the Hell Hath no fury comment in last nights episode seals the deal. This show is now doomed!!!

• JAA says:

No, it’s not them, Marlowe already gave the series a lot of creative juice by putting them together, it would make no sense breaking them up so soon when they’ve barely explored their new relationship and besides, Marlowe doesn’t even know if the show will be renewed next season

• Stacey says:

Which is why I am not counting on it being them. Although it would make their working relationship tricky, and angsty if they break up. They have never been as close as Booth and Brennan on Bones. So the aftermath of a breakup would be juicy. Brennan and Booth have their working relationship and their daughter to tie them together even if they are apart. But Castle is a different ballgame. If they are outed at work, and the Captain makes them choose. Working together, or a relationship OR maybe Castle not being forecoming with his past might cause tension like Meredith hinted last night. It would be shocking. Together one season, and already splitting up. But still, I am betting on Parenthood if it happens at all!

• tara17 says:

I agree with Dave about Caskett being the couple in the BI. Monday’s show planted many seeds, especially Kate’s perplexed reaction Castle’s ex-wife souffle metaphor.

6. Kay says:

um, thanks Ausiello,…..not. Even when we directly ask for B & B info, you give us more rehased info on other cast members. ugh. I guess you just don’t know anything about our main couple.

• amber says:

IKR He has no clue about Booth and Brennan. TV Line has turned into a joke lately. Hack and misleading article titles and completely ignoring what a fan asked in the question cos they only had stale old deets to share. Lame. Capital A

7. Stacie says:

How is the Glee split narrative working? It’s just some bits and pieces of NY and a total 2.0 storyline for the most part in Mckinley. I don’t get why they wouldn’t want to showcase the people we grew to love in Seasons 1 & 2 and get rid of the newbies. It just isn’t working this way.

• JT says:

It’s my opinioin, and a lot of the opinion of many people in the Glee fandom, that the New York-Lima split focus does not seem to be working and is actually short-cirtcuiting both sides of the narrative. I think they need to choose WHICH SIDE of the story they want to focus on fully in the forthcoming season and work towards developing that. Put the eggs in one basket if you will. Otherwise, it will still be a convoluted narrative spread too thin and too wide over too many characters. The impression I got from Kevin Reilly’s interview is that he wants to move the show to NYC. Am I wrong?

• KellyG says:

I totally agree with both of you. As it is, I cannot stand Glee at all. Short bits here and there of either site, with no cohesion between the stories IMO. I don’t agree with Mr Reilly on the fluidity and cohesion of the 2 scenarios of Glee. As for Reilly’s opinion of which site to be the focus, yeah, It appeared to me he is inclined to focus on NY. I think the sites should be 2 different shows, one about high school and another about moving into adulthood. As it is, it is extremely thin in 1 or the other site on any given episode. Personally, McKinley has no interest to me with teeny bopper soap opera stories. I feel the high school scenarios just cancel out any 1 to 3 minute scene of NY where Rachel and or Kurt are experiencing trials of being an adult. Glee just doesn’t give the warm fuzzies I enjoyed experiencing. Now, it is disjointed and dull. It takes an effort to want to DVR Glee just for the music. Glee for me is not a necessity of viewing it once was. Now, it is just a pass time when nothing else is on. I want to watch Glee for the characters I loved to see weekly, not what is on now.

• Maggie says:

I agree that it seems too much like two different (and underdeveloped) shows. What worries me about the more adult/high school split is that it’s only going to get worse if they keep it up. In just two years it will be the life of college juniors (i.e. the life of characters in their twenties) juxtaposed with the high school stories and that’s going to be way too jarring. It’s like when high school shows try to do arcs about the parents. I think after the rest of the original characters graduate this season they should switch the focus off the high school or drop the graduates. I’d prefer they do the former to be honest, but if they want to keep it a high school show they really need to do the latter. The split focus isn’t doing anyone any favors.

• KellyG says:

I may be wrong, and I have been on 1 occasion or tw. Haha! But it seems that Fox and/or Glee execs are trying to keep Glee as 1 show by keeping both graduates and McKinley intact because of the insecurity of viewer numbers. And also because of the high cost of the show(s). At least for a while til the deal is done with Fox for multiple year contracts. Not only for Glee but for Glee Project on Oxygen. They are brokering for both shows in 1 deal. It may be their safest bet for a 5th season and a 3rd for GP. Glee sales are lower as well as viewers.

8. Ashton says:

Caskett breaks up, Imma be pisssed!

9. Annie says:

Thank you for the scoop! :) I think it was nice of Shonda Rhiimes to tell fans on Twitter that the two of her TV couples from Ausiello’s blind item – Calzona and MerDer – aren’t the ones on the break-up chopping block. It takes the pressure off the fans of Grey’s Anatomy. Worried about Booth/Bones a little now though.

10. owen says:

Bring its actually down to 7 option if my math is correct ( 9 couples mentioned – 2 greys couples = 7 couples left)

• Stacey says:

And he said possible final season. Leaving Once Upon a Time out. Since the show is only starting. So that leaves, Nikita, Parenthood, Castle, Bones. I don’t see it being Bones, because it doesn’t meet the “out of the nowhere” criteria. And the show is going nowhere… I saw hints in Castle last night. And Nikita will be lucky to make it to next season. So I am guessing Castle or Parenthood. Julia and Joel are facing a tricky adoption story. Or Adam and Kristina would be shocking given her cancer battle!

• Percysowner says:

Nikita will probably get a season four. That will give it enough for stripped syndication and since Warner Brothers pockets that money they have reason to keep it alive for that reason. Plus the CW does like to announce the final season of… whatever show is ending.

11. Teag says:

Glad for more Mark Pellegrino.

12. Andrea says:

Sigh. I still it’s Castle and that is beyond depressing.

13. Mark says:

Glee needs a talented writing team. Not some hacks who don’t know what ‘continuity,’ ‘funny’ and ‘in character’ mean.

14. Jamie says:

I say blind item is Booth and Brennan. At least I hope so. Bones is ruined

15. Chris says:

If that Blind Item is about Parenthood I’ll be pissed. Only if its Adam and Kristina, because of cancer will I be okay with it, although incredibly heartbreaking…

• Magically Suspicious says:

I really feel like it’s Joel and Julia. I’m not sure why, but that’s where my gut goes with this blind.

• Alex says:

I feel like there’s a good chance of it being them after their disagreement about adopting Victor, I can see Joel getting fed up with Julia always making all the decisions, and deciding to raise Victor on his own.

• sarah says:

I too feel that it will be Joel and Julia too! I will be very sad if that is true but I see Julia saying she can not go through with the adoption and Joel will leave!

16. Jason says:

Not a single CW scoop? You’re fired.

17. Betsy says:

maybe MA’s big Comic Con reveal will be a wedding ring?? :) am hoping so! (thought for a second the asker’s initials might be a clue, but alas…)

18. N says:

Love to see Nolan’s Mom!

19. hands down the BI is referring to parenthood with my tip being Julia and Joel after the tricky adoption falls flat and doesn’t proceed. If it was the other couple breaking up just because of cancer that is shocking lazy writing.

20. Jill says:

Think the break-up will be Joel & Julia on Parenthood. Victor’s issues will divide them

21. caskettfan says:

in last night’s castle, ryan mentioned “hell hath no fury” a line mentioned in the break up blind item. (also the name of a castle episode in season 1) please don’t let it be caskett :(

other guesses are joel/julia on parenthood or booth/brennan.

also, shonda rhimes promised mark/lexie fans on twitter it would be worth the wait for us. then she killed both of them! i don’t trust anything she says.

• Stacey says:

Chyler wanted out. So she had no choice but to lose Lexie. And Mark was a collateral damage from losing Lexie. Otherwise, Shondra still had plans for Mark and Lexie. But Chyler wanted to leave. I think given everything happening, I don’t think she has any plans to break up another couple anytime soon…This finale will be more low key. Happy. The most stress will be if Meredith goes into premature labor with her baby. Since her pregnancy will be high risk.

22. Tony says:

On the blind item: Are they bringing back Firefly in an alternate universe where Wash survived ‘Serenity,’ but is now breaking up with Zoe? Because that would rock AND suck.

23. Ella says:

The blind item is Caskett, isn’t it?! I so don’t want that–but now that both GA couples have been knocked out, this is the one that keeps coming to mind. Which makes me mad. Very, very mad. The show has had so many creative juices of late (right down to Beckett’s jealousy ;-))…..we don’t need a break-up!!!

24. rachelle says:

Maybe the Grim Reaper will be paying a visit to James on Scandal; he’s too nosy for his own good! If he doesn’t stop digging, I’m scared he’ll be dying soon.

• Nicole says:

I think James is going to get the visit from the grim reaper on Scandal. We have seen what Hollis is capable of especially when he is crossesd. I don’t think they will kill Fitz he is part of an on going arc with Olivia. One logical person would be Verna surcoming to cancer.

25. Patrick says:

Don’t they know we hate the Lima aspect of Glee now? It’s really awful. Just the New York stuff please who are they asking that it’s working?

• Q says:

To some people, it’s the NYC aspect that’s not working. But it’s not because of Kurt and Rachel. It’s because they ONLY have Kurt and Rachel there. They need to move some of the other characters like Santana, Finn, Puck and Blaine over there to populate the canvas and get in some diverse storylines for them to interact with.

• Maggie says:

The New York side isn’t being given enough focus to really develop anything so it sort of seems like it exists in a bubble. I think adding more characters will allow them to expand on the characters lives there, but as long as they keep the focus on Ohio the NYC storylines are always going to seem rushed.

• Lydia says:

To me the problem with Lima is that they are trying to make supporting characters the leads of the show. These are characters who are good for an A or B plot every now and then, but just aren’t strong enough to carry a whole arc. It’s also jarring to see so much of characters we never even heard of before. The one lead character they do have on the Lima side, Finn, isn’t being given any sort of real plot relevance so it feels like he’s just bidding his time propping up whoever is there. I don’t even care for Finn that much, but if I’m going to be subjected to Lima I’d rather see it from his point of view than be subjected to ridiculous love triangles and endless competition plot lines.

26. Fabian says:

No Vampire Diaries scoop : ( I want Katherine back!

27. Georgia says:

Any chance Emily Owens, MD will be picked up by another network? The Show is really great and I hate to see it go! Do you know the last air date for the Show…my DVR Search only shows as far as 1/15/13!

28. Are you kidding me Bones got renewed for another season!! That is terrible news Bones is now boring and stale to watch that is why i stopped watching it in the first!! I hope Chris Carter’s new show comes really fast and buries Bones once and for all!!

29. Carda says:

are they really going there on Once and explain yet again why Cora became the evil bitch she is?
    Maybe we get to know her mother as well and than her granny… the point of the whole story being that mothers create evil o_O

30. Jesse says:

Wasn’t the crying masturbation scene this season? Unless you meant last season as in fall rather than winter…but why say it that way?

• Curly Girly says:

Nope, it was last season. The one with Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton as the couple who bought the haunted house. He felt guilty for getting off while fantasizing about the maid (because he had previously cheated on his wife).

31. Patti says:

Thanks for the scoop

32. Bob says:

What happens if the Philly scenes with Jim on The Office turn into a minor hit? Would NBC consider doing a spinoff with the Jim and Pam characters?

33. Linda Crews says:

My guess is it is Julia and Joel breaking up. The whole Victor storyline on Parenthood is a downer and Joel’s reaction when Julia said she wasn’t sure about the adoption said it all. I doubt if that would be a forever break up but it would definitely be sad.

34. Bringing on Conrad’s first family on Revenge would’ve been a heck of a lot more interesting than the direction the show decided to go with. Endless Aidan, the boring and confusing initiative, and the Stowaway story that feels like it belongs on an enitrely different show sure aren’t working.

35. Barb says:

Can you please caption your pictures? Some of us don’t watch every single show you scoop and we would like to know who the actors are in the pics you post! It’s confusing sometimes! We don’t know all these actors as well as you do!

36. Jared says:

Huge fan of The Lying Game but I don’t understand why Emma and Sutton need to hide the fact that there twins anymore. Most of there friends know..Alec knows..Rebecca obviously knows..who are they trying to protect?..Teds relationship with his wife?

37. sleeplessghost says:

Yay, thanks for the scoop on Enlightened. I am so excited for the new season. The wait has been way too long.

38. AcuraT says:

Rose McCown playing a witch on “Once Upon a Time?” What a stretch! It will be interesting to see how she plays that part, considering all the time she played the similar role on the WB series “Charmed.” I wonder if that casting was made because of her past playing the same type of role?

39. chen says:

hii!
    any new scoops on rookie blue season 4??
    thanks

40. PFitzDC says:

I’m guessing the Blind Item is about Nikita or Bones based on the clue about the show winding down, and the news coming out of nowhere. Castle and Once are strong in ABC’s lineup. Parenthood is a possibility, but I don’t think anyone looks at Joel & Julia as a beloved couple.

41. Casey says:

I hope that Harrison isn’t being recast on Dexter. The kids playing him now are adorable and so perfect in the role. Maybe cast the new kid as a friend for Harrison. (:

42. Anonymous says: