Grey's Anatomy First Look: Neve Campbell Checks In as Derek's Sister!

Grey's Anatomy Neve Campbell Season 9 Derek's SisterAnother branch on the Shepherd family tree will be identified on Dec. 6 when Neve Campbell makes her Grey’s Anatomy debut as Derek’s previously unnamed fourth sister Lizzie — and we’ve got a first look at the Party of Five star’s arrival.

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy First Look: Who’s Copping a Feel With Mer?!

It’s not clear what triggers Lizzie’s appearance, but the family reunion comes as the doctors at Seattle Grace (namely, Callie) face mounting pressure to fix Derek’s injured hand.

For the record, Campbell’s Lizzie brings to three the number of Shepherd sisters viewers have met, joining Amelia (currently played by Caterina Scorsone on Private Practice) and Nancy (previously played by Embeth Davitz). Might we meet Sibling No. 4 — the mysterious Kathleen the psychiatrist — before the season ends?

Scroll down to take a peek at a second image from Campbell’s debut episode and then hit the comments with your thoughts/theories.

Comments (46)

• She actually bears more than a passing resemblance to Caterina Scorsone so this is excellent casting!

Comment by xav – November 26, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing!!!

Comment by English – November 26, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Scream was incest.

Comment by jokes – November 26, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahaha, that’s right!

Comment by bend22 – November 26, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Literally all I can think about is that I’ve seen these two hook up, and it’s super weird now.

Comment by RobMF – November 26, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But they didn’t hook up in Scream 3.

Comment by Jermey – November 28, 2012 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OH it was implied…

Comment by lolo – December 6, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shoot! I’ve been so great quitting Grey’s after the latest Shonda Slaughter! :( Now I have to watch it because I wanted to be Sidney Prescott when I was 9! I wish she’s at least send Caterina in to make it worth my relapse (since I adore Private Practice and Amelia more than I could ever love Grey’s)

Comment by Barbie – November 26, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You wanted to be a fictional character whose mother was murdered and all her friends were constantly being killed?

Comment by RobMF – November 26, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by stellalunaa – November 26, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, right? I have no idea what I was thinking, maybe in my head I could be Sidney and still have my own mom, but certainly wouldn’t mind the psycho killers. That would be the best part! I wanted to save the day like she did. SCREAM was my favorite movie series when I was 9-12.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 26, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, I also quit cold turkey after last season, well maybe not exactly cold turkey cause I keep clicking on articles like this, but yeah if they were bringing over Amelia it would force to watch, but whew dodged that bullet.

Comment by moobear – November 26, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yup, I read spoilers and stuff, but I’m not watching anymore. I watch Private Practice (which I love waaaay more — so undervalued, so wasted!), but that’s it. After it’s done, no more Shonda for me, ever again!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 26, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As much as I hate Shonda for killing Lexie and Mark, you should totally give Scandal a try!

Comment by Jules – November 26, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, that’s never going to happen. I watched Grey’s for eight years, and gave it up because I didn’t love the characters enough to endure the crap she put them through. I ADORE Private Practice in every way, but everyone knows how much Shonda Rhimes puts it in last place and it’s her staff who actually does all the job. I’m actually relieved it’s ending and she won’t be able to kill the characters anymore. I will never watch another Shonda Rhimes show again. She isn’t that good. Seriously. There are many more compelling/awesome/engaging shows out there. Watching Grey’s Anatomy is like being in an abusive relationship. He keeps beating you up and you keep going back for more. No more.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 27, 2012 07:11 AM PDT
    • @Barbie,

EVERYBODY wants to be Sidney! Scream is the best!

Comment by justin121 – November 26, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that PP is going off, maybe they’ll be room at Seattle Grace for Caterina. I like Amelia.

Comment by JudyC – December 6, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They totally need to bring Amelia to Seattle Grace when Private Practice is over. It is time for Derek to have family around and make up with her.

Comment by emmy – November 26, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having been watching Party of Five every night for the past month, WOW she looks old. I mean, I’m sure she looks great for her age, but I’m used to seeing her play a 15 year old.

Comment by Emily – November 26, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure hope she’s not a hateful nasty beyotch like her sister Nancy.

Comment by Francesca – November 26, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope she’s not like her.

Comment by Tia – November 26, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t even recall Nancy….too long ago I think.

Comment by Shaun – November 26, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still find it incredibly strange that Meredith has never met her husband’s family. It would be different if they were “estranged” but that wasn’t really implied. It’s just a bit odd.

Comment by Sarah – November 26, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is entirely possible they have met offscreen.

Comment by Mike – November 26, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mer has met the mother and now 3 sisters…How has she not met his family?

Comment by gary – November 26, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is not strange at all. I have not met my sister in law she lives in Oklahoma. I finally met my mother in law after my husband and I were married over 1 1/2 half and our daughter was 4 months old. She came to CA from Oklahoma for our daughters baptism because my parents flew her out. (they were both supposed to come for our wedding but got stuck in OK because of the weather) But it really isnt that strange to not meet family it they live in other states and their isn’t a ton of money to visit.

Comment by thelittleradish (@thelittleradish) – November 26, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s right. Except Derek is a famous neurosurgeon. And so is Amelia. They have enough money to fly all over the country, even if the other sister is poor.
        Well, it’s a TV show. But that’s weird they’ve never met…

Comment by bend22 – November 26, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But it is well established that the Shepards are loaded, money-wise, so that is no excuse (unlike other with other family’s in the real world). I do find it a little odd that Meredith hasn’t met all of his sisters after what? 5 years? 6? I can never remember how many years they say have passed since the beginning of the show. And they have been married (post-it note wedding included) for at least a couple of years now. I could understand if they were estranged like Meredith and most of her half-siblings (other than Lexie, RIP, tangent: has there been any mention of how Mer’s relationships with her other siblings have been affected by Lexie’s death?), but as a previous poster said, it has never really been established that they were all estranged.

Comment by Sara – November 26, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We haven’t seen her other half sister since her baby was born.

Comment by Shaun – November 26, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I figure that’s typical TV for you. No character has family outside of the main ensemble unless it’s important to the plot and then you never see them again. Even if it’s a situation where a normal family member with a good relationship to that person would be there

Comment by Annie – November 26, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think your post makes a lot of sense. Why would any TV show want any character NOT important to the plot? If you had a nice, adjusted family member just hanging around, you know wat everyone would be saying? “So and so is useless and boring they have nothing to do with the plot.” What do you want exactly?

Comment by Mark222 – November 26, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not all families are close. Derek and Amelia pretty much didn’t speak to each other for years. They had a lot of problems growing up because of Amelia’s drug use. We know, from Private Practice, that Amelia isn’t close to her family at all — she barely speaks to them — but that she’s had the most amazing mother someone can have. Sometimes, Addison says, that’s just not enough. Sometimes your family is just your family. You love them, but they’re not your friends. You don’t fly across the country to meet them. You don’t even tell them you’re going through things. Like Amelia’s anencephalic pregnancy, she never told her family, no one went to see her. The impression I got from Derek is that he talks to his family okay, but they don’t fly across the country to see each other all the time, either.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 26, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please powers that be and Shonda Rhimes, send amelia to grey’s anatomy when pp is over. she would fit in just fine and she could finally be the girl for alex

Comment by omabin – November 26, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t want Amelia to come to Seattle. She was one of the big reasons I stopped watching Private Practice.

Comment by tp – November 26, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not the only one. She is a good actress, but I don’t want any of the PP people over at GA. They are bloated enough as it is. She’s better suited to Scandal IMO.

Comment by Stephanie – November 26, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I stopped watching PP when they did the baby with no brain story. It was just too gruesome to watch.

Comment by JudyC – December 6, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I’m sorry but I gotta say that top picture of her is EXTERMELY unflattering. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is. Has she lost too much weight in her face? I also think it’s a bad hair cut / bad angle because her hair is framing her face terribly. What a horrible promo pic to release. Yeesh, ABC.

Comment by Mark222 – November 26, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • looks like Darth Sidious with the baggy eyes XD

Comment by Shaun – November 26, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks very natrual. I love it. I love Sidney Prescott.

I thought in the second picture she’d be holding a phone in her hand and look really scared.

After that she would “scream” and start running around the hospital :D

If only they brought her for the Gunman episode… LOL

Comment by justin121 – November 26, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is am I the only person thinking that Lizzie may in fact be a orthopedic surgeon? As Mer enlists Heather to find a solution for Derek’s hand and well here’s the photo showing Heather standing next to Lizzie Shepherd.
    Which in turn will have Derek yelling at Mer for contacting his sister before asking him.

Comment by heather (@auzzigrey) – November 26, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow, great theory! I think you may be right on this one… :)

Comment by luli – November 26, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, is she supposed to be sick? Or the only poor Sheperd? Because Neve is a stunning woman and these pictures make her look almost like a dude. And her clothes are not flattering. Maybe that’s the character so I’ll give her a pass on the clothes, but some well-applied make up wouldn’t hurt.

Comment by Ana – November 26, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the best casting news ever.

Comment by justin121 – November 26, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She really looks like the actress that played Rose (Lauren Stamile). Which in a way is kind of odd.

Comment by sabres23 – November 27, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly find it so weird how Meredith has not net Derek’s entire family by now. I mean they’ve been together for how many years now and shes only met two sisters and his mother.
    Anyways, a family reunion would be awesome and I need to see Amelia back on Grey’s

Comment by A – November 28, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love her!She is sweet and real.I would love to see her full time on Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by lisapizza – December 4, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post