Exclusive

Exclusive: Judith Light Headed to Dallas — Could She Be [Spoiler]'s Mother?!

Judith Light DallasJudith Light is relocating to Dallas, and, no question about it, she’ll be the boss.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Emmy-winning TV vet (Who’s the Boss, Ugly Betty, One Life to Live) is joining the second season of the TNT hit as an authoritative and controlling battle-ax who will fight to the death to protect the people she loves. And for the people she loves, she uses every psychological trick in the book to make them do what she wants.

RELATED | Dallas Set to Introduce [Spoiler]’s Brother

Could this dragon lady be the mother of Brenda Strong’s Ann Ewing? Seems like a safe bet, particularly in light of the imminent arrival of a character we’re guessing will turn out to be Ann’s estranged daughter.

Light — who most recently guest-starred as Kristen Johnston’s mother on TV Land’s The Exes — will recur throughout Dallas‘ second season, which is set to premiere on Jan. 28.

1. Josh says:

Judith Light needs to be in everything.

2. Jared says:

I’ve never seen Dallas But might need to check it out now. Love Judith Light

3. whisperintherain says:

I love Judith Light, she’s a wonderful actress and the part sounds really juicy. Can’t wait!

4. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

This is the best news I’ve read in a long time! She’ll be fabulous on Dallas.

5. Lorie says:

Awesome news!

6. RaspX says:

While I think Ugly Betty might have ruined her for any role in a soap that’s supposed to be taken seriously, it’s still great to see her turn up any time, any where. I’m sure she’ll make the most of the part. (But Brenda Strong’s mother? Love them both, but there’s only like 10 years between them.)

7. Jason says:

Um, isn’t Light a little young to play Ann’s mother?

• Rain says:

That’s the first thing I thought as well! She’s not at all old enough to play Ann’s mother!

• Joel says:

They will probably use make-up to age her a little bit. Beside Barbara Bel Geddes (Miss Ellie) was only 9 years older than Larry Hagman.

8. Sevillista says:

That´s what I thought too, Jason. How old is she and how old is Brenda Strong????

9. portiaslegacy says:

Isn’t she a little young to be Ann’s mother? I would have guessed Rebecca’s mother if anyone’s (though from my understanding that would be a recast).

10. TMW says:

I think she’s way too young to be Ann’s mother. Maybe she’s this new Emma character’s adoptive mother? Because it would seem that Emma will be Ann’s daughter.

11. Samantha F says:

BS is 52. JL is 63. I think she will be Rebecca’s mom. Julie Gonzalo is 31 and they are both blonde!

• Samantha F says:

cripes! they are not both blonde. I’m still thinking of Veronica Mars Julie Gonzalo. Anyway, the ages still fit better ;)

• Sarah says:

I just read yesterday that Gonzalo played Parker on Veronica Mars! I have watched every episode of that show a million times and didn’t realize they were the same person! Now i see it, but wow, Julie is really a skilled actress.

JL is just playing older than she is, it’s wild. But kudos to her for doing what the vanity of most actresses would keep them from doing – playing older or admitting to age at all! But didn’t Ms Light shave her head for a Broadway role? She is definitely committed! It’s great to have her on Dallas, and so fun to have a night time “Soap” that is just so good!

12. robert says:

audrey landers (afton cooper) is rebecca’s mother. judith light should be ann’s mother. could be good.

13. Nick says:

Josh you are right..She needs to be in everything!!! I love Judith. LOL> She is 63 and brenda is 52….

14. shalomo says:

if she hires tony danza to clean her office while wearing tight jeans i will die. literally, die. like, die.

15. Sarah says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!

16. topsyturvy says:

In the original series, Barbara Bel Geddes (Miss Ellie) was born in 1922. Larry Hagman (J.R., her son) was born in 1931.

17. BTM says:

Thank you for this morning’s nerdgasm!

18. Jamie says:

I’ve never watched Dallas but I’ll have to now. Considering the age difference of 11 yrs, I’m not sure it’d be believable for JL to portray BS’s mother. It’s not necessarily the years as it is the appearance. JL doesn’t look as if she could be BS mother. Of course, they could always put makeup on her but that’s just more work for them and certainly they’d take that into consideration. As a few of you have said, Barbara Bel Geddes is only 9 yrs older than Larry Hagman yet she looks as if she could be older than that. Ms. Geddes was a smoker which may have contributed to that. These are just my opinions. Take them as you will.

• Sarah says:

I think it is also a “Soap” thing. In addition to what we know about the teeny age difference in BBG and LH’s ages, right now in Daytime there are many women playing mothers who are not much older than their “children”. General Hospital has 2 front – burner characters who are also less than a decade apart playing mother and son (Olivia and Dante). We just have to suspend reality for these dramas i think. Like we do for “Wow, how does that guy just happen to owe that guy a favor” or “Gee, they just happen to have stuff to blackmail so and so with!” :)

Cary Grant’s mother in North By Northwest, if i remember my film history correctly, was a month *younger* than Grant! So it’s definitely not un-precedented [sp??]. They just hire the BEST person for the job!

19. Linda says:

i was barely a teenager when I watched Judith on OLTL playing the role of karen Wolek. She will be great on Dallas, although she certainly is going to need lots of makeup to age her. I didnt know Barbara Bel Geddes was only 9 years old than Larry Hagman? She looked a lot older than that! She was a great actress as well, and I sure miss her and Jock on the new Dallas. I cant wait until Season 2 starts!

20. Sarah says:

I was SO confused as to who Ms. Light was supposed to be be as i watched tonight! I re-wound and listened again… she is definitely playing older than her age. And that is a real actress, ladies and gentlemen! No vanity. Willing to be older. She’s so fabulous. She is 63 and Ryland has to be in his 50s, right? I’m 43, my Mom was born the year before JL and there’s no way Ryland is my age :) I was thrilled to see her, what a great cast! Which makes me think “damn” all the more about the HUGE loss of Larry Hagman. I watched most of the re-run eps from season one this weekend and just teared up so often!

Just an excellent job with this show – it is all being done so well! And as a life-long Oklahoman who spends a lot of time in Big D, i know that this is such a better telling of the *city* of Dallas than shows like (gak!) ABC’s failed “GCB”. The accents aren’t broad and “hick”, and we aren’t in the Deep South in OK & TX. Sorry for the ramble, just so excited! :)

21. Stephanie O'Daniel says:

How the hell is Judith Light playing Mitch Pileggi’s mom? Bad casting because the two players are 4 years apart in age. Dallas producers could have found someone older to play the mom. Its not believable and I am beginning to wonder about the new Dallas now. Bad casting choice

22. Stephanie O'Daniel says:

Bring in Powers Boothe to replace JR. I hope Dallas producers do not write JR out. Without a JR character, the show will not be the same. JR character kept the show going with his schemes, backstabbing everyone and game playing. Boothe is devilish, sexy, has a quick wit, can pull off a JR character with panache. Without JR, who will the other characters play against?

23. Dixie D'Aquilla says:

Judith Light was a great addition to Dallas. Love the new show.

24. leonard bisnov says:

25. About dallas being cancel what idiot who could make this number 1 show a hit it can last 10 years have Jr ghost keep it alive like the show alot