Ratings: 30 Rock Back Lower than Community, Glee and POI Up, Elementary/Last Resort Down

NBC’s 30 Rock launched its final season with 3.4 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo, a tenth below both last season’s premiere and finale and down 15 and 23 percent from Community‘s year-ago premiere in the Thursday lead-off spot. (That said, its numbers were on par with Community‘s May finale.)

Leading out of that, Up All Night (3.1 mil/1.4) and The Office (4.1 mil/2.1) were flat in the demo week-to-week, while Parks and Recreation (3.5 mil/1.9) saw a 19 percent bump.

The night’s most watched and highest rated program was The Big Bang Theory (15.4 million total viewers, 4.9 rating), down just a hair and two tenths week-to-week; Two and a Half Men (12.7 mil/3.7) followed with gains in both measures. Person of Interest at 9 o’clock (14.6 mil/3.1) ticked up in both audience and the demo, while Elementary (11.2 mil/2.6) dipped 16 percent from its series debut.

Over on ABC, Last Resort (7.9 mil/1.9) slipped 16 percent from its premiere, Grey’s Anatomy (10.6 mil/3.8) was down about 10 percent and Scandal held rock-steady at 6.8 mil/2.1.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Filling in the Blanks

Fox’s The X Factor was flat at 9.1 mil/3.1, while Glee‘s “Break Up” episode (6.2 mil/2.6) rose 8 percent (yet saw its audience decline/make a Kleenex run across the hour).

RELATED | Exclusive Post Mortem: Glee Boss on ‘Break-Up’ Fallout, Promises ‘Nothing Is Set in Stone’ – Plus: Cory Monteith ‘Sad, Nostalgic’ in Episode’s Wake

Last but never least, the season finale of The CW’s The Next (902,000 viewers/0.3 rating saw a 30 percent surge in total audience.

What were you tuned into this Thursday night?

1. Daisy says:

Quick question: How do Elementary’s ratings compare to The Mentalist’s ratings in this same time slot last season?

2. TV Gord says:

30 Rock was very funny, so your loss, everyone (except those who watched, of course).

See, this is why I am generally not that fond of people…

• Jeff says:

THIS! (all of it…even the people part.) ;-)

• nadine says:

Right, so funny! Hum, didn’t 30 Rock air opposite Big Bang? I watched Big Bang live (which I do enjoy) while attending to kiddie bedtime, and preferred to download 30 Rock to watch at leisure when all is quiet. 30 Rock’s stellar writing and performances is one of the reasons why I don’t watch it live, too good to waste.

3. Jon says:

30 Rock was amazing last night. Liz and Jack vowing to take down NBC is going to be epic. I can’t wait! I cannot believe more people don’t watch this show, but they watch stale crap like 2 Broke Girls/Two and a Half Men/The Big Bang Theory. It’s just sad.

• Carm says:

I actually watch 30 Rock and the Big Bang Theory and love them both. 30 Rock was very funny last night.

• nadine says:

It’s a very clever show: fast-paced writing including spot-on humor and innuendos, interesting performances and unusual characters, with just about the perfect amount of meta. If I can sit in front of the TV, I watch when it airs. If I’m the least bit distracted by tasks or other, I’ll prefer to view it later. I’m selfish, what can I say.

• Hannah says:

the big bang theory is crap?!!! hahaha you’re funny

4. Maria says:

POI just keeps getting better and better. Suspenseful, action-packed, and Amy Acker plays a very convincing psychopath. Also, the addition of “Bear” the Belgian malinois is a nice touch.

• Eridapo says:

Root is a great villain. Her back story was so well done last night.. They didn’t go with the abuse child back-story. Instead they showed us that she was a brilliant kid who did the right thing to help out a friend, but the adults failed her friend. I want to know more about her.

Bear the Dog and Fusco were hilarious. Good addition to the cast.

• lll says:

I’m also glad Root didn’t try to fight Denton Weeks like most women on TV would have. She let him win and got him back in the end when Weeks least expect it. She’s crazy smart.

5. Patricia says:

I really liked the last resort.The show is definetly my favorite this season. It has action and intrigue, romance and good acting Andre Braugher made me cry already when he was talking about his son. I’m in for the season. Hope the ratings are good enough this one has potential.

• Lorie says:

Ditto! It’s my favorite new drama this season. I got my friends hooked on it, too.

• TV Gord says:

I agree! If The Last Resort is cancelled (as expected), it will be one of my biggest disappointments of this season.

• GK says:

I agree. Revolution and Last Resort are the only new dramas which are good and have held my interest till now! Next week, Arrow on CW looks like it could be one of the good ones. Hopefully, they all get good ratings.

6. Andrea says:

Would not be surprised if Scandal adjusted down later in the day. I feel like it should be doing better, especially with Greys as a lead in and the fact that it basically has no competiton. (Elementary really isn’t a huge hit.)

7. Luminosity says:

Here in AZ, Elementary started about 40 – 50 minutes into the hour after being delayed by Thursday night football. I’m sure that delay had a negative effect on viewership.

8. Cal says:

It’ll be interesting to see the +3 numbers for LR, because a 1.9 isn’t a good sign. Maybe ABC will realize soon that it’s in a terrible slot.

9. niks says:

I just hope that tv websites and the critics start paying a bit more attention to POI. The online promotion of this amazing show by the online community is pretty dismal. It becomes more disgusting when you see the hoopla over some of the junk out there.

10. Daniel Watson says:

Elementary’s premiere was alright, but the followup just didn’t work. The writers have no imagination. I figured out the case very easily and the rest just isn’t good enough. I will have to drop it.

• Daisy says:

I kind of agree with you. I’m going to give it a couple of more episodes because the main characters are likeable and their relationship is interesting but the crime of the week storyline definitely left much to be desired.

11. MsThang says:

POI’s episode last night was amazing while Grey’s was anti-clmactic. That said, I am glad both had good numbers last night compared to the dismal un-Glee-ful show on Fox.

12. Saint Alicia says:

Elementary’s second outing should have been the premiere, the case was so much stronger! Glad I gave it another chance, last night’s ep was really good. Thought I had the case solved but the double fake out threw me off, while Sherlock’s assessment about why the killer continued with the ploy for so long was chilling. Also the character development between Holmes and Watson is shaping up really nicely. This incarnation of Holmes is more brusque than than Patrick Jane but not as volatile as House; a nice balance. And the opening credits are awesome!

13. Hilla says:

So.. Parks and Rec did good? I’m a bit confused…

14. crochetowl says:

Not surprised by Elementary’s drop – could barely sit through the pilot.

As for POI, glad to see it keeps on rising. It’s just a great show period and deserves the success it gets.

15. Ben says:

LOL. You Americans are so idiotic that your Sherlock has to be dumber than Mr. Bean. You just can’t handle a character who isn’t a junkie or who doesn’t has Daddy issues. Pathetic really.

16. Ann says:

Person of interest is an amazing show and all its success without promotion. That’s what makes the success even greater

17. Dean says:

ABC really needs to move Last Resort to a better timeslot. All their freshman series over the past couple of years failed in that timeslot because of all the competition.

18. Leah says:

Seeing the numbers for shows like Parks, Community, and 30 really destroys my faith in the future of humanity.

• nadine says:

I think the shows you mentioned are so good, people prefer to DVR or download for future viewings (like i mentioned above). Product placement is the way to go to make such shows more profitable, imo. 30 Rock kind of went with that for a while, albeit too directly.

19. GK says:

Another solid episode from POI (I still can’t help, but be thankful this kind of a show exists, on CBS of all places and is successful) and Last Resort!
    Seriously ABC! Move that show to a 10pm slot before you kill it! Its one of the best new shows!

• GK says:

And can we just stop referring to the guy in Elementary as ‘Sherlock Holmes’! He is no way even close to Holmes characterization or as brilliant! This one is too emotional!

20. Michelle says:

I really enjoyed Elementary last night! I hope the ratings stabilize. I need a Holmes fix while waiting for BBC Sherlock to return!

21. LDSK says:

I LMAO the entire way through 30 Rock. It was so spot on. Suddenly all of NBC’s programing decisions make sense! :-)

22. Big Mike says:

Matt, does this dismal rating put Last Resort on the short list for “one of the first cancelled shows of the season”?

23. Deg says:

Line of the night… from BBT… Amy to Penny… “If that’s all it takes, it’s a good thing you don’t have a dog.”

24. Bummed about Last Resort’s time slot. I really like that show.

25. Tikkanen says:

Person of interest and Jim Caviezel kick butt. That is all.

26. Alan says:

ah a huge drop off in the ratings for elementary, allow it to continue. that show is not a sherlock holmes show

27. Patti says:

I like Last Resort. Really disappointed if it gets cancelled.

28. stellalunaa says:

I dont know about Last resort. I’m not going ot be devastated if its cancelleds. its good but it doesnt keep my interest and i think partly because the lingo is too specific and you dont know the lingo it gets confusing really fast.

Elementary however I love, soo good. And I’m behind on POI but season 1 was amazing so I cant wait to catch up.

• No says:

No offense, but you loving Elementary just gives away the reason you didn’t like Last Resort and lingo has nothing to do with it.