Grey's Anatomy Recap: Filling in the Blanks

Get More: Recaps

Grey's Anatomy Plane CrashSo that’s how it all happened.

One week after we learned what the fallout was from May’s airplane disaster cliffhanger, Grey’s Anatomy flashed back to chronicle what happened in the first days, weeks and months after Mer, Cristina, Derek, Arizona and Mark were rescued from crash site.

Herewith were the major takeaways:

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Preview — Comic Relief Is on the Way!

* Super-surgeon Derek struggled with the prognosis of spending the rest of his life with only 80 percent function in his hand.

* Bailey dropped a Lost reference while airlifting the gang to safety.

* Yang, traumatized by the four days she spent stranded in the middle of nowhere — during which she was forced to, um, “drink my own pee” as well as listen to the wildlife do, well, horrible things — fell into an unresponsive state of “reactive psychosis.” As new intern Smash Williams noted, “She just stares and breathes.” She eventually snapped out of it and then promptly fled Seattle Grace for the Mayo Clinic.

RELATED | Grey’s Boss Reveals Why She Killed Off Mark

* Mark appeared to be making a miraculous recovery, but it was really just a “surge” — a common occurrence where terminally ill patients have a final burst of energy and clarity. Before he began his final death march, McSteamy tied up a number of loose ends (among them: clumsily dumping his post-Lexie rebound fling and finalizing his DNR). He also dispensed relationship advice to Jackson. “I want you to promise me something,” he told the young doc. “If you love someone, tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. You say it and you say it loud.” (Alas, Jackson didn’t act on the advice quick enough; April, after getting stood up by her first lover at the bar, left to go back home.)

* In a blistering attack, an angry, bitter and wounded Arizona blamed a guilt-ridden Alex for giving her his ill-fated seat on the plane. “I kept thinking about my wife and baby, and how you had no wife and baby,” she confessed. “I only went on that plane because I was pissed at you!” Shortly thereafter, she made Callie promise her “they wouldn’t take my leg.” But in the end, faced with a decision of whether to save her life or her limb — while in the middle of the delicate surgery on Derek’s hand — Callie ultimately chose the former.

What did you think? Whose story were you most moved by in “Remember the Time?” Hit the comments?

Comments (150)

• It was an intense episode.

Comment by rr – October 4, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The story that touched me most was marks!! ESP after hearing Christina describe the you know what doing you know what to lexie!!!

Comment by Alicia – October 4, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I never complained about Shonda killing off characters (even with George) as i understood how actors want to move on and writers don’t have much option if they don’t want the characters to get a send off open to return as it results in urges to bring that character back (e.g. Bring back Izzie phenomena)

I loved Lexie as a character and i was sad and shocked at her death but i respected the death of that character as Chyler Leigh wanted to move on. But why this mutilation image?? NOT ACCEPTABLE! I agree it creates an impact but still it’s way too gore for a fan favorite character’s send off!!

Comment by R – October 5, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • its called being realistic. what else would happen out in the woods. and its almost like she sacrificed herself for everyone else. christina wondered why the animals didnt come for the people still alive….its because they had lexie.

Comment by v – October 5, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes because a group of people going through trauma after trauma (plane crashes! shootings! bombs!) is “being realistic”.

Comment by Joe – October 7, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
        • I agree, and the least they could do is give them a FUNERAL for Chrissake.

Comment by Sanya – November 20, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he recap sold the show short. Very brief and minimal. Go to the other site for a much more analytical and detailed recap. This recap was fluff.

Comment by Forwarddad – October 5, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s very clear now that this episode was done to be the premiere of this season, even the way of narrow it is THE SAME of the premiere of Private Practice, tracing back all the steps of those involved on the crash. Every big scene lost much of it’s strenght when we already knew what it would come. I feel cheated. Looks like the gossip on internet made Shonda trade the episodes, so people could know right away what was going on, except with Arizona (cause if she would have appearedon teh frirst minutes alive, people would know that the leg off would be her fate. Bad judgement though. Loved in absolute this episode, HATE that didn’t happened in the premiere.

Comment by Pearl – October 5, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s funny cause I screwed up, I just caught up with the whole series on netflix. And then I went on demand and watched this episode and then the premiere. I didn’t do it on purpose but watching it that way felt right until I came on here and seen the recap. This definitly should have been the premiere episode

Comment by nate p – October 7, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • absolutely agree. I was asking myself why in the world would they have the premiere as it was, and not put episode 2 as the premiere. And, for me, it ruined the intensity of Mark’s outcome, when I already knew he would die from the premier.

Comment by charlene – October 7, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda’s done too much. I feel like she still hasn’t managed to explain things well enough. How are you going to have Mark be alive and well and then slip into a coma? Don’t just write it off as “the surge.” TELL ME MORE! Was it an infection? Sepsis? Did he lose organs? WTH.

Comment by Jo04 – October 4, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the season finale he had a heart issue that Yang temporally fixed it while they were out in the woods. Basically adrenaline keeps him going but once they were rescued it was all down hill.

Comment by Layla – October 4, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, but how could adrenaline have kept him alive for that long (4 days in the woods, plus days in the hospital)? I’d like to have heard more about what they did to him surgically once he was found. Since he was so critical in the woods, how did his condition become a slow deterioration that allowed for a surge… especially when the heart was involved?

Comment by Jo04 – October 4, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Christina says to Hunt that Mark “kept trying to die” and that she had to “keep saving him”. She described it as annoying.

Comment by madhatter360 – October 4, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s probably safe to say that he got an infection after the pericardialcentesis and probably went septic

Comment by Tracy – October 4, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Adrenaline can make you do some amazing things.They may explain it more in later episodes (what damage was done to his heart, etc,) but I chaulked it up to him being unrecoverable. There are times when someone is injured, and even though the injury is repaired, their body has sustained so much trauma that it can’t recover. You need a certain amount of energy and strength for your body to recover from things, and sometimes it’s too beat up to do this….to regenerate. That’s what I figured it was, especially after we hear Yang say that Mark kept dying on her. Plus she basically did heart surgery on him in the middle of the woods, so there was probably a big infection there as well.

Comment by Alichat – October 5, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He died a bunch of times while they were out there in the woods, as explained by Christina. I’m gonna expect that it had to do with that. I know he had issues in the finale last year, I just don’t remember what they were.

Comment by KSM – October 4, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this. Yes, Cristina treated the tamponade. But where was Mark’s surgery? What did they do to treat Mark? And if he had gone septic from Cristina treating him with what she had available, he wouldn’t have survived the woods no matter how many times Cristina saved him. I thought it was crappy writing.

Comment by Elizabeth – October 4, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who cares about the details…the story is in the impact of his death….not how he died. I don’t care how Christina’s frost bite healed either.

Comment by jalinne – October 4, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The impact of his death is lost for me in the details. If it made a modicum of sense without the details, it would be better. Since it doesn’t…

Comment by Elizabeth – October 4, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Are you serious? You’re worried about the actual medicine/ medical reasons Mark died? I’m a doctor and the the detailed medical inaccuracies of this storyline are not keeping me up at night. Why, why, why? If Cristina really drank fuel, she’d be dead; Arizona should be dead of a fat embolism from the broken leg long before the sepsis got her. We don’t watch this show thinking this is really what goes on in a hospital. Shonda and company did a good job with a dramatic story. Bravo to the actors.

Comment by Kel – October 5, 2012 12:36 AM PDT
          • I think they left it open to allow you to believe that he died of a broken heart from Lexie’s death.

Comment by Missy T – October 5, 2012 10:47 AM PDT
          • I totally agree. TOTAL miss on Shonda’s part. I don’t care what others say, I want to know!! Good episode really, but so many things were soo poorly explained. I’m so frickin sick of crisis then back to normal 2 eps later. The laundry list of crap these ppl have been thru over the yrs is so sad and unbelievable.

Comment by Danielle H – October 5, 2012 04:25 PM PDT
    • I totally agree about Mark. What was the injury to cause death!?

Comment by J V Smith – October 5, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not positive about this, but i think the more times a heart has to be revived it weakens, i think that ‘s why he died. His heart gave out. That being said, I think it’s a bit silly to get bogged down with why he died.

Comment by susan – October 7, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seems to me that he probably just had congestive heart failure brought upon by the stress of being in the plain crash and his bodies reaction to it (what happened in the finale). He could have had other issues as well that put him in the coma, but I think there was probably just unrepairable damage to his heart.

Comment by Jennifer – October 5, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was obvious that Mark had Cancer, and he knew about it far before the plane crash. That’s why he dumped Lexi at first. He just happened to be in a plane crash. He died from the Cancer or what ever terminal illness he had. The chief clearly stated that the “surge” happens with terminally ill people. (Which I have witnessed first hand. It truly does.)

Comment by Annette – October 5, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who is this obvious to?

Comment by Jules – October 5, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was that comment serious?

Comment by Maar – October 5, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait. What? In what possible way was it “obvious” that he had cancer? This makes absolutely NO sense. Mainly because he didn’t have cancer.

Comment by Sara – October 5, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its obvious that he did not have cancer. He died of heart failure.

Comment by Jan – October 12, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well.. Not really all of his blood pumped into his chest. And they noticed to late to save his life.

Comment by Katlin – February 20, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The scenes with Cristina were so intense. When she hurled that vase – wow!! The scene with Owen & Cristina, when he first appeared at the hospital was unebelievable. She knew he was there, she became still. He’s the only one that can do that to her – but the bathtub scene was the most revealing & riveting & Owen intently listened to Cristina as she spoke of her 4 day ordeal ….. is it no wonder she fled to Mayo? The rest of the show was really good – I felt really bad for Alex when Arizona wished for him what she was going through, it is her injury talking. RIP Mark Sloan, I will miss you tremendously. I will miss your terrific sense of humor, being a terrific doctor & great mentor to Jackson. I will miss seeing you be a tremendous Dad to Sophia, being a loving friend to her Mom, Callie & being a good friend to Arizona, I will miss you being a great, great friend to Derek, & I will miss you being in love with Lexie but most of all I will just miss seeing you ….

Comment by soxfan – October 4, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mostly we will miss you scantily clad… In the shower … with ony a towel. RIP McSteamy.

Comment by DarkDefender – October 4, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • a great, great friend who slept with Derek’s wife….Don’t get me wrong, I love Mark and I’m sad that he and Lexie are gone. But I wouldn’t consider him a great, great friend when he slept with his best friend’s wife.

Comment by Jules – October 5, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was well done. They still could’ve aired this as the season premiere, but it worked a lot better than I thought going in. Now that pretty much everything is resolved (for better or for worse) bring on the rest of season 9.

Comment by Canadian_JBS – October 4, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Capshaw was absolutely perfect in this episode.

Comment by Shelby – October 4, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So in addition to Lexi’s disappointing end, we now know that the animals fed on her corpse as her sister and friends listened? What did the character of Lexi ever do to Shonda? The fans deserved a more fulfilling ending after Shonda’s promises from last season. Lexi and Mark were the reasons I watched. I am done with GA.

Comment by Done – October 4, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you kidding me?! Seriously? I didn’t get to watch the episode tonight, but I’m glad I read the recap before I did, and now I won’t. That’s horrific. I understand that that’s a real possibility if this were to happen in real life, but wow, Shonda must have really had it out for Chyler Leigh.

Comment by Jenna587 – October 4, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was probly to avoid having to see the body/funeral.

Comment by Shaun – October 4, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Probably. But her remains were on the plane that flew them back to Seattle. So a memorial service (or something) must have been done at some point.

Comment by JKR – October 5, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I thought that was the pilot. You’re probably right though because Mark looked at the body. I just wish we had seen more of the rescue and the coping that happened.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:41 PM PDT
        • Well atleast they won’t be in pain anymore,

Comment by Katlin – February 20, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched last night hoping for a Lexie/Mark reunion of some sort. This is the show that gave us Izzy seeing George after his death, and then there’s Denny. I knew Chyler wouldn’t be back but Mark could have heard her voice or said her name before he died. I just felt that the way Lexie died and what happened to her corpse afterward was a slap in the face to fans who were promised a fulfilling Lexie/Mark storylune last year. Grey’s has had many deaths, Lexie’s was written badly, as if Shonda didn’t know what to do with her. Almost as if she didn’t care. There was no respect or reverance shown to a beloved character who suffered a lot during her tenure on the show.

Comment by Done – October 5, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, to the last sentence too!! Well written, couldn’t agree more

Comment by Sanya – November 20, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, yes, to the last sentence!

Comment by the8tregirl – October 5, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you watched the ep you’d know only Cristina was still awake by then. The others were all ‘a sleep’ as Cristina said. Also: I was a lexi/mark fan and I would not have needed a ‘more fulfilling ending’ (unless of course it was all a dream and it never happened. What ‘more fulfilling ending’ could there be?? She was already flattened by a plane. There was never going to be a funeral where she would have been visible anyway…

Comment by Maya – October 5, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes to that. It’s incredibly realistic that she would have been devoured by animals. They were in the woods for several days. It’s a grotesque and unfortunate reality.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Capshaw was amazing. She’s underutilized and waaaay underrated!! Rock on J-Cap!

Comment by Jennifner – October 4, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!!

Comment by Callie – October 4, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly Greys needs more Capshaw….!

Comment by Frank – October 4, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callie was great!

Comment by N – October 4, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the beginning when Bailey showed up holding Zola for Meredith.

Comment by madhatter360 – October 4, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Felt the most hope during that moment… In what was an otherwise intense episode.

Comment by DarkDefender – October 4, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing CRISTINA OWEN

Comment by Anabela – October 4, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode. Can we just give Sandra Oh the Emmy? Actually I also thought about animals with all the flowing blood and Lexie’s body and Arizona’s leg (picking the bugs out the wound was also hard to hear) Also I secretly wished the vase hit whoever called her an end table.

Comment by BJohnson – October 4, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sandra Oh is a living example of how unjust Emmy awards can be! Every season she does something spectacular and now she doesn’t even get nominated! UNFAIR!

Comment by R – October 5, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!!

Comment by Maya – October 5, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why arizona is not dead ?? why ?!

Comment by jull – October 4, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Raving blonde bitch. I have zero sympathy for her. Why couldn’t they just let her die when they had the chance? This shrew just needs to STFU and go away.

Comment by gwen – October 4, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode was really great. The part that really got to me was when Cristina described what the animals did to Lexie’s body. That was horrifying! Also, the fact that she didn’t sleep. Cristina has gone through so much crap during her time working at that hospital; I don’t blame her for wanting to leave.

I wish that Shonda had Mark mention his other daughter. However, I was happy that Shonda addressed the fact that Mark was in a relationship at the time of the crash and showed them breaking up. I thought she was just going to pretend that she didn’t exist, too.

Comment by Abby – October 4, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happened to the pilot? Jerry? Lol just wondering. The setup for this episode, in my opinion, was confusing and I didn’t like it. I wish we could have just picked up episode 1 with them in the woods

Comment by Tracy – October 4, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • a friend theorized that the body bag was the pilot… lexie would still be squished under the plane, which would take more then a helicopter to lift, and the top half was eaten by animals which would have probably torn her apart till there wasent really anything left to fill a body bag with.

Comment by bob – October 7, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah but if you noticed when dr. Bailey was on the plane she looked sadly at the body bag.. Which led me to believe that was Lexi.. I mean unless you think she was just sad about the whole situation which is understandable too.. Idk so many theories

Comment by Alicia – October 13, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolute utter brilliance by Sandra Oh (and Kevin McKidd) in that bathroom scene. Hauntingly beautiful to figure out what happened out there. Yikes! I still want to know how she ended up being a mess to being fit to operate…

Comment by anonymouse1013 – October 4, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was in and out through the episode but that scene had me captivated. I couldn’t change the channel. Sanra Oh’s dead delivery of her lines was heartbreaking! When she was talking about realizing that the animals were fighting over Lexie’s body, I got chills.

Comment by Ava – October 5, 2012 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The time jump was approximately 3 months ahead of their being rescued – so with enough care by Owen apparently Cristina was well enough to leave him …. again …. for Mayo. The type of psychosis Cristina went through is usually short lived. That bathtub scene was just beautifully acted with Owen taking care of Cristina & totally engaging in all she revealed. I loved the way he spoke to her while bathing her – very soothing, very calmly, very lovingly – Kevin McKidd & Sandra Oh are just pure magic together. And I loved it when she hurled that vase … though don’t the interns sound just like Cristina, Alex, Meredith & the rest when they were interns & all the names they called people? Everything has gone full circle.

Comment by soxfan – October 5, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I thought it was a horrible way to tell us what happened in between the finale and the premiere. We saw no reactions from those in Seattle and everything was so scattered and disjointed that it made for a terrible storyline. I agree with someone from earlier, the whole “surge” deal was such a cop-out. And after basically one episode of Arizona I’m wishing she was the one who died. I’ve been through intense trauma, and even had my leg threatened by a MRSA staph infection, and let me tell you, behavior like that is beyond self-centered & cowardly. Few people deserve to have such horrific trauma in their lives but it happens every freaking day so put on your big girl pants and deal with it. Yes it’s only a TV show but I’ve dealt with that “why me” attitude until I’m sick of it.

Comment by Lyndsey – October 4, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. The whole episode was so back and forth and just didn’t flow. Very annoying to watch. How where they found? What was the reaction? The surge thing was the stupidest thing I ever heard. Lame. Lame. Lame. And not because of the actors. Just bad writing!!

Comment by kristen – October 4, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree with both of you. Those transitions were awful.

Honestly, I stopped watching since season 5 and I happened to catch the last minutes of the episode before the seasons finale (the crash), so I tuned in for that episode, tuned in for last week’s weloveMcSteamyrama and was bored to death.

And tonight’s episode was a big Oh That’s Why I Stopped Watching.

Comment by Dick Whitman – October 4, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I really don’t like Arizona and I never have. She has always been an unbelievably selfish character. This episode really highlighted that for me. I am glad that her true colors are really showing. The way she treated Alex was disgraceful. She FORCED him off of that plane because she got mad that he is trying to be the best doctor he can be. She tried to keep him from searching out amazing job opportunites. It is her own fault she was on that plane, so she shouldn’t be blaming him.

Comment by Sara – October 4, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. This was all I could think while watching.

Comment by Kelli – October 5, 2012 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. she threw a temper tantrum like a 2 year old and that’s how she ended up on the plane. It was not Alex’s fault she behaved like a child.

Comment by kjess – October 5, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was so so sooooo irritated by this! Seriously, it was a tragedy… nobody’s fault! Grow up.

Comment by Juliana – October 5, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I get that people love the Arizona-Callie relationship- but this is a separate problem. She was acting unprofessional and immature about Alex’s job prospects all during the end of last season; rather than letting him make an honest evaluation of all his options she sabotaged him, it was practically unethical. And then when somebody finally picks him, a huge professional opportunity, and he takes it, she only thinks of herself. He didn’t want to be ordered off the plane, SHE did it. In a childish fit of pique, to teach him a lesson, she took away another professional opportunity. I thought maybe going through the crash would have given her perspective, but she came out as selfish as she went in. To then sit there and tell Alex that this is all his fault, to rub it in about Izzie having left as well- was despicable- GROW UP, Arizona. I can only imagine her reaction when she found out Alex cut off her leg.

Comment by Alice – October 5, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Guys in the finale she was in a bad mood cuz one of her closest friends was dying of cancer?? So she basically just lost it on Alex.

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Her being in a bad mood does not explain nor excuse her actions in sabatoging Alex’s career due to her selfishness.

Comment by Sara – October 5, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh no I totally agree but others were confused about y she was mad.. Saying she was just mad that Alex was gonna go to Hopkins when in fact he was just unfortunately her go to person for a freak out!!

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 07:53 PM PDT
  • I just don’t get why everyone acted like Callie was the only doctor left in the hospital who could help them. Too bad that vase didn’t hit one of those smug little interns.

Comment by AB – October 4, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD I AM HORRIFIED!! Not by the episode, but my what Shonda wrote about what happened to Lexie!! That is terrible! She was never by favorite character, but god that is so wrong and twisted and no one deserves that to happen to them even after they are dead.

Comment by Alicia L. – October 4, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guess what? We are all a part of nature and the food chain. You want real horror? Research what happens to a body in a typical modern coffin. It makes being eaten by animals seem fun.

Comment by GoGiants – October 5, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Look, everyone gets the realness of that scenario, but it didn’t need to be said. That’s a sore spot on top of a sore spot for the fans of Lexie and the Lexie and Mark pairing who were basically promised something and got the death of a fave character instead. People are just frustrated. Doesn’t mean they don’t understand the real life aspects of the story.

Comment by tripoli – October 6, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find it interesting that everyone is so horrified at a (wolf?) animal eating dead Lexie’s body when bugs were eating the flesh of a live Arizona. The animals getting to Lexie (which are predators of the woods), allowed them food and not to eat the one’s sleeping and alive. Just saying; guess I am different.

Comment by charlene – October 7, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll admit I laughed at the screen when Cristina told Owen about the animals and Lexie. Of course Shonda would go there. That’s her MO. She kicks (in this case the Lexie and Mark fans) when they are down. Totally agree it is realistic but so much of GA isn’t so why go there now? Twisted could be Shonda’s middle name.

Comment by Amy – October 11, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a die hard ga fan…but to think this many awful
    Things happens to the same group of people has become rediculous and made the show just flat out silly. Mer almost drowns, a shooting, George dies,izzies cancer, and now this? And of all the wonderful characters she’s killed, they just let izzie leave? She’s the one chsrcater that should have left the show via death.

Comment by Abby – October 4, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing that ticked me off the most is that Mark didn’t get to see Sofia before he slipped into a coma.

Comment by Montie – October 4, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is what bothered me as well! I don’t understand Shonda at all. Just when things are seemingly sad/bad enough, she has to do something else to make things even worse. What was the point of that? He sits there and looks at Webber, someone he has little connection to, yet Shonda couldn’t allow him to have a few moments with his daughter! Shonda is making this show almost unwatchable.

Comment by Carrie – October 5, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched a few hours ago and the more I think about it the more I dislike this episode. I’m a loyal Grey’s fan, but it just seemed… off? What answers did we get? How were they found? What ACTUALLY happened out there? While Christina and Hunt’s bathroom scene was phenomenal- I think the viewers deserved a little more explanation. And Mark… A Surge? Really? Last week we are given a beautiful goodbye to Eric Dane, yet Chyler gets eaten by animals? What about Meredith’s realization that Lexi died- or at least mourning? Mark could write an entire will, but couldn’t hold Sophia again even though Jackson was in such a hurry to get her that he couldn’t talk to April? There were SO many gaps. I would have loved for them split this episode into 2 parts. One- the search for and survival of the group; two- weeks in the hospital. The choppiness as mixed time jumps made this episode very awkward. Better luck next time, Shonda and Co.

Comment by HarperSmith – October 4, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had a problem with the timeline on the Mark and Sophia bit as well. It doesn’t take that long to get to the daycare and get Sophia. Jackson was running to get her. So how was it that Mark was able to have a pretty long conversation with Webber about the surge, fill out a DNR, then slowly braids down, and is intubated before Jackson gets there with Sophia? The timing made no sense. I would have liked it if he’d gotten to see her one last time, and then he declines.

Comment by Alichat – October 5, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agreed. Meredith never shed a tear about her own sister.

Comment by Annette – October 5, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s not true!! She was hysterical over lexis in the season finale!!!

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Was that before or after she was too focused looking for her husband than worrying about the broken tail of the plane crushing her sister to death?

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 5, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Kind of during.. Lol she went looking for Derek and Couldn’t find him so she went to Christina all panicked and Christina said to go see Lexi which she did but didn’t make it on time. I’m married and have a sister and I can’t even imagine who I would try to find first… I love them both so much!!

Comment by Alicia – October 6, 2012 09:40 AM PDT
    • I think there should have been a 2 hour season premiere. There was way too much that they tried to squeeze into this episode.

Comment by susan – October 7, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they use the same overly dark hair dye on both Karev and Jackson? It just looks so strange on them both with their complexions…

Comment by Katie – October 4, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it bad that I’m pissed about them not even mentioning what happened to the pilot? It bugged me the whole episode

Comment by Camilla – October 4, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol I wanted to know too. I guess we should assume he is just handicapped now.

Comment by AB – October 5, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought he died. Christina climbed into the plane looking for something…I think a first aid kit or food or something, and she was asking him where it was and he was unresponsive. I thought she checked his pulse and realized he had died.

Comment by Alichat – October 5, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed with these first two episodes. I guess Shonda has written this show, and others, for so long that she feels a big need to be more creative…I get that…but this did not work. At all.

I could be okay with last weeks premiere skipping ahead in time, but then to have thd second episode skip around so much…it just ruined it. There needed to be an episode that included the details and tenseness of those in Seattle realizing what happened and the search going on… We needed to see more of what happened in the woods. I get that not seeing, and leaving it to our imagination – which could paint a more horrifying story than they could write – has its place, but there simply wasn’t enough to draw those thoughts out. Cristina’s bathtub scene with Owen was very well done. But it wasn’t enough.

We needed to see people finding out about Lexie. And, hearing about what happened after she died was horrible, but it’s realistic and one of the few details we even got about what went on all that time. And, as annoyed as I am with Shonda’s writing of these two episodes, saying she killed Lexie off because she hated the character or actress is just stupid.

And, at the least, we needed to know why Mark died. Injuries, obviously, but would it have killed her to go into slightly more detail? I’d even overlook the surge thing!

Seriously, this has to be the last season of this show. Shonda’s interests are obviously elsewhere.

Comment by Jenn – October 4, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, but I think we should give season 9 a chance. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the plane crash and missing details. Very unfulfilling.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith and Derek are my least favorite characters. The reason I started watching GA was because of Lexie and Mark and Alex. Now, with Lexie and Mark gone, I guess I’ll stick around a while and see what happens to Karev. I also like Owen and Christina but the rest bore me. It seems like another show is slowly going down the drain.

Comment by Ali – October 4, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How come you never mention anything about Meredith. dude she’s the star of the show and not one mention of her in your recap . thats crap. grow up. and write things as they are. not as you wish they were.. your love lexie is gone.. thank God. so let someone else do the recap like Matt. matt loved Meredith and writes good stuff. jeez. Ellen Pompeo did exceptional acting this episode. amazing stuff and yet not one single mention from you. Give her the recap and mention she deserves. what show are you watching??

Comment by James – October 5, 2012 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a TV writer across the Pacific – Lay off! There is never need to put someone down if they don’t write what you want them too. hence the comment section where you have your say. Check your spelling, grammar and manners!

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU! Well said.

Comment by Stacie – October 5, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good comment well said.The writers on this show are excellent. The actors are excellent. The writers of these comment do not know how to spell and do not know good grammar and do not have good manners.

Comment by Jan – October 12, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Beautifully said!! This is a friendly comment page where we discuss what we liked and didn’t like. We don’t need to be mean to the writers. What if shonda reads these??

Comment by Alicia – October 13, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “What show are you watching??” The one where Meredith did a good job this week, but the meat of the story was with other characters. So, I think the recapper did a good job covering the important aspects of the episode.

Comment by maltru – October 5, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just have to say, Eric Dane.. WOW.. what superb acting that was in the final seconds before he slips into the coma he never comes back from. Broke my heart! The way his breathing slowed, the look in his eyes as he looks at Richard, knowing what is happening… that was just unbelievably heart breaking and beautifully acted!

I think we had to learn some of the horrific things that went on during the period before they were rescued, otherwise how were we to believe that Christina went into such a state (which she acted brilliantly!).. Christina had the weight of the world on her shoulders trying to hold it all together out there for everyone.

And yes, Ellen Pompeo… brilliant, but definitely overshadowed in this episode.

Agree with all that was said about Arizona!

Comment by kiwigirljacks – October 5, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The point of Cristina’s speech was to put emphasis on the horrific ordeal of what happened in the woods. It had to be a lot to put her into this psychosis because apparently she was able to stay awake longer than anyone else so she witnessed more than anyone else. Whatever feelings you have about Lexie, you can’t hide what would logically happen out there. Did anyone really think animals were going to ignore a perfectly good rotting carcass? No. Sorry, but wild animals aren’t Disney characters. They aren’t going to see a bunch of humans in distress and a dead body and figure they should back off. On the scale of bad things happening to Lexie’s body, that was better than what I was worried was going to happen which was the survivors being forced to deal with starvation or instead sacrifice her body in the name of hunger. Imagine that storyline and suddenly the animals eating her body doesn’t seem as bad.

Comment by westwingwolf – October 5, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very, very accurate. I just wish we had been “there.”

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Sandra Oh gets snubbed from the emmys once again I don’t know what will happen. How can you ignore the greatness that is Sandra Oh? Come on academy, get it together!

Comment by Adam – October 5, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to the pilot? Did he die also and get eaten by animals?

Comment by zmopardude – October 5, 2012 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the pilot they left it as he wouldn’t be able to walk anymore. Remember heisting stabbed him wih something and said I’m sorry. In my opinion I love the how and think its still great. I just have 2 problems…1. I wish they would have shown how they were in fact found. Did Owen call Te ops and report his surgeons missing?? All we see is him listening to a message about how the doctors never showed up. 2. Why are they already skipping a week. I have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode!! That sux. They had 2 episodes and already we have to wait 2 more weeks for the next one. Sigh

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you pay attention to politics? The VP debate is next Thursday, hence why Grey’s isn’t on.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow that was snotty. I thought this was a friendly forum. I knew the debate was on just disappointed that I already had to wait for another episode.

Comment by Alicia – October 6, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally out of the whole show I felt more for Cristina….but the monologue at the end where Meredith ja leaving the voicemail for Cristina, I thought that said it all….

Comment by Sam – October 5, 2012 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG – In AUSTRALIA and last week downloaded easily – this week nothing will work. Am reading this crying as I wanna see so bad. I have to wait till Tuesday now!

Comment by Alicia – October 5, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a terrible episode. Cristina’s flashbacks were really powerful, kudos to Sandra Oh for the excellent performance!

But I was disgusted to learn to wild animals were fighting over Lexie’s body. Such a disgrace to this beautiful character who already had such a gruesome death. Couldn’t Shonda just leave it at that? Why did she had to dishonor that little bit of dignity of the character that was left, by having someone else say that she heard how they were feeding Lexie’s corpse. Unbelievable.
    This was the only episode I wanted to see, because I was expecting more intenste stuff. I expected to see the full responses of everyone to the planecrash, to Lexie’s death.

Now I’m done.

Comment by Dominique – October 5, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything you said, except the bit about Lexie. Unfortunately that just logically makes sense and it added to the horror of what they were experiencing.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping to see a funeral for Lexie or a memorial. Maybe what was left of Lexi in the body bag next to Mark was cremated and Merideth will put Lexi with Mark. I know I’m reaching that it will be addressed but it would be a nice wrap up for them.

Comment by AB – October 5, 2012 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t Sandra Oh have any Emmy yet? For crying out loud. It is ridiculous that she keeps getting overlooked. This epi was the darkest I’ve ever seen with the whole Cristina having to drink her own urine and listening to the beasts fight over Lexie’s body. It was creepy, but it was realistic. That one thing bothered me since the season finale as they were all sitting around the plane. I kept thinking that animals were bound to sniff out Lexie’s body and come for it. Besides Cristina did say that she tried to keep them away. I was sad that Mark didn’t get to say goodbye to Sofia but I’m not sure it would have worked out that well with a toddler. Loving Callie and Arizona. JCap really hit it out of the park. I feel like the show has taken a new turn. Like it’s been re-energized. I even like the new interns. They are there but don’t take the spotlight.

Comment by Ana – October 5, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame & boring except for Sandra Oh. Might as well kill the whole cast and then do 8 more seasons of disjointed lackluster flashbacks.

Comment by G-Spice – October 5, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What Arizona said to Alex is absolutely inexcusable. I get why a person in her situation would think about it like she did….but the wording…what she said was disgusting and could have done real damage. I always thought that she was a selfish character and only good with the happy-go-lucky situations but no matter the circumstances (I’m not very resentful) if someone had said that to me, I could probably never forgive that and I couldn’t accept an apology.
    I normally don’t get so wrapped up in TV shows…I just don’t get why Shonda would make her a total *ssh*le…
    I’ve had people in my surroundings that had very traumatic experiences and yeah, they did lash out but not in that way…

Comment by kateshomesick – October 5, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am really disappointed..not in the episode..but of the writing of the aftermath. I think this particualr episode could have been dragged out to at least 2 eps. They definitley should have showed how the other Doctors learned of the crash…how did Callie deal with those 4 days knowing that Mark & Arizona were in a plane crash and were missing? Who took care of Zola? When did Owen finally call that Boise Dr. back? All of that would have been awesome material for the actors to play…maybe switching back to images of them out there in the woods from the finale. I understand that they were on location for the finale last year…so they couldn’t go back out there…but they could have just used some of the last scenes or something. That would have been powerful stuff for them to play. Why is that Shonda seems to always skip over the reactions to stuff. She only goes for the Drama and initial acts. Same as the shootings. We didn’t get to see anyone right after it happened….it did a time jump. That’s so annyoing. And what about everyone finding out Lexie died..how bout her exes Alex & Jackson…no reaction whatsoever. Or Meredith or anyone grieving for her? Nothing!! Shonda also doesn’t like to deal with death…it’s like ok they died move on. And next weeks previews doesn’t give any indication that anyone is upset of Mark & Lexie’s death anymore. What about Meredith seeing her father and telling him what happened?? That’s what really bugs me about this show. I’m loyal and always watch…but we never get any good payoff from major events!!

Comment by Bren – October 5, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TRUTH

Comment by Lauren – October 5, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You articulated EVERYTHING I was thinking after viewing episodes one and two.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The part of the episode that made me cry the most was,oddly, when Arizona blamed Alex for her state. I’m really looking forward to how that relationship is going to go.
    Also, can we please give Alex a wife and kids in the near future?

Comment by Karen – October 5, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets see not only to you kill Lexie you have her eaten by forrest creatures Shonda. Thats it over and out.

Comment by BrianR – October 5, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just curious…did the pilot live?

Comment by CJ – October 5, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no he got ate by the smoke monster

Comment by ggny – October 5, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex did not give her his seat, she took it. Hopefully the writers don’t have Alex be this sheepish character now and stay true to him by having him say to Arizona if she wasn’t a child about him leaving for an opportunity that finally came after all of the sabatouge efforts and kicking him off the plane, something he wanted to do, that she would not be in this situation so it was not him be selfish but her.

Comment by lc – October 5, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is it that everyone is forgetting the actual reason that Arizona was so mad and hurt by Alex? It was not because he decided to leave but because he did not tell her and led her to believe he was staying – hello ? The 2 people who have supported and believed in Alex the most are Mer and Arizona. I liked this episode much better after watching it for the 2nd time – the acting was fabulous esp. Sandra, Jessica, Sara, and Ellen.

Comment by Jo – October 6, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don`t understand all the Arizona hate from others. She`s going through this huge traumatic event, not only the potential which turned final amputation but the crash itself. She has every right to be devasted,angry, sad, frantic, to feel however the hell she wants to feel. She is scarred emotionally, psychologically and now physically. How is she supposed to act? “oh hey my leg is gone, oh look is that a rainbow?” As for her speech to Alex, it was harsh but some of the things she said were true.She was lashing out in that moment but I think she`ll come to realize she chose to get on that plane and she`ll have to reconcile that. She likes Alex and has always stood up for him and believed in his talent even when he didn`t deserve it. Besides, Alex can be just as mean and harsh, some of it unjustified. All these characters have flaws in some way shape or form. Meredith, Christina, Derek, Owen, Alex, Callie, and Arizona. How boring would this show be if they didn`t.

Comment by yankee77 – October 6, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you! I mean its the first two episodes of the season! Im sure if I had my leg chopped off I would be a little upset. If you really think about it how would people react if they didnt have a leg anymore? Arizona has the right to be upset. I love Arizona and I know she wont be gone long. Everybodys judging GA so quickly and its barely begun.. I strongly disagree that its bad writting. Its only the beginning and I cant wait to see what happens next.

Comment by punkash – October 7, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well said – I totally agree. I also don’t understand the hate for Arizona. Considering all that’s happened I think it’s very understandable that she needs to go through a dark place and when she gets through it she’ll be stronger and an even better person than she already is with an even stronger love with Callie. I can’t wait to see the journey these characters make this season.

Comment by Jo – October 7, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad, I thought it was a great episode and I don’t really think it was confusing it was well made and very sad.

Comment by juan – October 5, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arizona was on that plane because she had a hissy fit when she discovered Karev was taking the job at Hopkins. She insisted on taking his spot and it’s her own freakin’ fault for being so reactive—so, it’s particularly galling that she blames him or somehow feels his life is less important and therefore he should be the injured one.

Comment by susela – October 5, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sondering why I’m still watching… Oh yeah It’s because Mer & Der are happy together!

Comment by Caro – October 5, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To the ninnies being all “Why did Shonda fdelt the need to tell us about animals eating Lexie? Why couldn’t she let her be dead etc?”. Google “plane crash, rugby team”. Then feel lucky Cristina didn’t explain how they had to eat the remains of Lexie’s body to survive.
    I get that you love a character, but sometimes, even on Grey’s Anatomy, you need to get back in touch with reality

Comment by Bob – October 5, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This wasn’t a documentary about the rugby team, Grey’s Anatomy is a fictional show and, unless used for shock value, disresepecting the memory of a character that many of us loved by describing animals fighting over her remains is unnecessary. Sandra could have alluded to something happening without going there. I felt this was just gratuitous and cheapened the episode. If I want specifics, I watch documentaries or do my research. Part of what keeps these shows on the air is the audience’s love of these characters. It is why people tune in. We’re emotionally attached. Taking that for granted for the sake if shock value is what keeps people from tuning in.

Comment by Not a "Ninnie" – October 5, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still feel completely dissatisfied. I wish we got the details of what happened out there in the woods, and the details of how the Seattle Grace doctors began to realize what happened. We didn’t see Owen make all the calls, and the other doctors realize there was a problem. I wish that they had picked up RIGHT where they left off and gave us the details that way. I feel a little cheated that they made us wait that long and nothing was really solved. I wish we had seen everything.

Comment by Kathleen – October 5, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sinceramente credo che l’attrice di Arizona e Cristina abbiano una marcia in piu’..geniali nel calarsi nei personaggi.
    Per quanto riguarda la trama credo che la fine di Lexie mangiata dagli animali era la piu’ logica anche se certamente atroce ma del resto un cadavere in un bosco…non ha possibilita’ di scampo! Arizona e’ un personaggio egoista ma certamente non meno di Callie che la obbliga ad accettare una figlia del suo migliore amico..e per quanto riguarda Alex la penso come lei…Se e’ diventato un ottimo medico e’ solo merito di Arizona che ha fatto di tutto per farlo crescere e quindi era giusto che rimanesse con lei, sbagliato invece e’ accusarlo di un incidente aereo…

Comment by teti – October 6, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post