Grey's Anatomy Recap: Filling in the Blanks

Grey's Anatomy Plane CrashSo that’s how it all happened.

One week after we learned what the fallout was from May’s airplane disaster cliffhanger, Grey’s Anatomy flashed back to chronicle what happened in the first days, weeks and months after Mer, Cristina, Derek, Arizona and Mark were rescued from crash site.

Herewith were the major takeaways:

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Preview — Comic Relief Is on the Way!

* Super-surgeon Derek struggled with the prognosis of spending the rest of his life with only 80 percent function in his hand.

* Bailey dropped a Lost reference while airlifting the gang to safety.

* Yang, traumatized by the four days she spent stranded in the middle of nowhere — during which she was forced to, um, “drink my own pee” as well as listen to the wildlife do, well, horrible things — fell into an unresponsive state of “reactive psychosis.” As new intern Smash Williams noted, “She just stares and breathes.” She eventually snapped out of it and then promptly fled Seattle Grace for the Mayo Clinic.

RELATED | Grey’s Boss Reveals Why She Killed Off Mark

* Mark appeared to be making a miraculous recovery, but it was really just a “surge” — a common occurrence where terminally ill patients have a final burst of energy and clarity. Before he began his final death march, McSteamy tied up a number of loose ends (among them: clumsily dumping his post-Lexie rebound fling and finalizing his DNR). He also dispensed relationship advice to Jackson. “I want you to promise me something,” he told the young doc. “If you love someone, tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. You say it and you say it loud.” (Alas, Jackson didn’t act on the advice quick enough; April, after getting stood up by her first lover at the bar, left to go back home.)

* In a blistering attack, an angry, bitter and wounded Arizona blamed a guilt-ridden Alex for giving her his ill-fated seat on the plane. “I kept thinking about my wife and baby, and how you had no wife and baby,” she confessed. “I only went on that plane because I was pissed at you!” Shortly thereafter, she made Callie promise her “they wouldn’t take my leg.” But in the end, faced with a decision of whether to save her life or her limb — while in the middle of the delicate surgery on Derek’s hand — Callie ultimately chose the former.

What did you think? Whose story were you most moved by in “Remember the Time?” Hit the comments?

1. rr says:

It was an intense episode.

• Alicia says:

Agreed. The story that touched me most was marks!! ESP after hearing Christina describe the you know what doing you know what to lexie!!!

• R says:

I never complained about Shonda killing off characters (even with George) as i understood how actors want to move on and writers don’t have much option if they don’t want the characters to get a send off open to return as it results in urges to bring that character back (e.g. Bring back Izzie phenomena)

I loved Lexie as a character and i was sad and shocked at her death but i respected the death of that character as Chyler Leigh wanted to move on. But why this mutilation image?? NOT ACCEPTABLE! I agree it creates an impact but still it’s way too gore for a fan favorite character’s send off!!

• v says:

its called being realistic. what else would happen out in the woods. and its almost like she sacrificed herself for everyone else. christina wondered why the animals didnt come for the people still alive….its because they had lexie.

• Joe says:

Yes because a group of people going through trauma after trauma (plane crashes! shootings! bombs!) is “being realistic”.

• Sanya says:

I agree, and the least they could do is give them a FUNERAL for Chrissake.

• Forwarddad says:

I think he recap sold the show short. Very brief and minimal. Go to the other site for a much more analytical and detailed recap. This recap was fluff.

• Pearl says:

I think it’s very clear now that this episode was done to be the premiere of this season, even the way of narrow it is THE SAME of the premiere of Private Practice, tracing back all the steps of those involved on the crash. Every big scene lost much of it’s strenght when we already knew what it would come. I feel cheated. Looks like the gossip on internet made Shonda trade the episodes, so people could know right away what was going on, except with Arizona (cause if she would have appearedon teh frirst minutes alive, people would know that the leg off would be her fate. Bad judgement though. Loved in absolute this episode, HATE that didn’t happened in the premiere.

• nate p says:

That’s funny cause I screwed up, I just caught up with the whole series on netflix. And then I went on demand and watched this episode and then the premiere. I didn’t do it on purpose but watching it that way felt right until I came on here and seen the recap. This definitly should have been the premiere episode

• charlene says:

absolutely agree. I was asking myself why in the world would they have the premiere as it was, and not put episode 2 as the premiere. And, for me, it ruined the intensity of Mark’s outcome, when I already knew he would die from the premier.

2. Jo04 says:

Shonda’s done too much. I feel like she still hasn’t managed to explain things well enough. How are you going to have Mark be alive and well and then slip into a coma? Don’t just write it off as “the surge.” TELL ME MORE! Was it an infection? Sepsis? Did he lose organs? WTH.

• Layla says:

In the season finale he had a heart issue that Yang temporally fixed it while they were out in the woods. Basically adrenaline keeps him going but once they were rescued it was all down hill.

• Jo04 says:

Thanks, but how could adrenaline have kept him alive for that long (4 days in the woods, plus days in the hospital)? I’d like to have heard more about what they did to him surgically once he was found. Since he was so critical in the woods, how did his condition become a slow deterioration that allowed for a surge… especially when the heart was involved?

• madhatter360 says:

Christina says to Hunt that Mark “kept trying to die” and that she had to “keep saving him”. She described it as annoying.

• Tracy says:

It’s probably safe to say that he got an infection after the pericardialcentesis and probably went septic

• Alichat says:

Adrenaline can make you do some amazing things.They may explain it more in later episodes (what damage was done to his heart, etc,) but I chaulked it up to him being unrecoverable. There are times when someone is injured, and even though the injury is repaired, their body has sustained so much trauma that it can’t recover. You need a certain amount of energy and strength for your body to recover from things, and sometimes it’s too beat up to do this….to regenerate. That’s what I figured it was, especially after we hear Yang say that Mark kept dying on her. Plus she basically did heart surgery on him in the middle of the woods, so there was probably a big infection there as well.

• KSM says:

He died a bunch of times while they were out there in the woods, as explained by Christina. I’m gonna expect that it had to do with that. I know he had issues in the finale last year, I just don’t remember what they were.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree with this. Yes, Cristina treated the tamponade. But where was Mark’s surgery? What did they do to treat Mark? And if he had gone septic from Cristina treating him with what she had available, he wouldn’t have survived the woods no matter how many times Cristina saved him. I thought it was crappy writing.

• jalinne says:

Who cares about the details…the story is in the impact of his death….not how he died. I don’t care how Christina’s frost bite healed either.

• Elizabeth says:

The impact of his death is lost for me in the details. If it made a modicum of sense without the details, it would be better. Since it doesn’t…

• Kel says:

Are you serious? You’re worried about the actual medicine/ medical reasons Mark died? I’m a doctor and the the detailed medical inaccuracies of this storyline are not keeping me up at night. Why, why, why? If Cristina really drank fuel, she’d be dead; Arizona should be dead of a fat embolism from the broken leg long before the sepsis got her. We don’t watch this show thinking this is really what goes on in a hospital. Shonda and company did a good job with a dramatic story. Bravo to the actors.

• Missy T says:

I think they left it open to allow you to believe that he died of a broken heart from Lexie’s death.

• Danielle H says:

I totally agree. TOTAL miss on Shonda’s part. I don’t care what others say, I want to know!! Good episode really, but so many things were soo poorly explained. I’m so frickin sick of crisis then back to normal 2 eps later. The laundry list of crap these ppl have been thru over the yrs is so sad and unbelievable.

• J V Smith says:

I totally agree about Mark. What was the injury to cause death!?

• susan says:

I’m not positive about this, but i think the more times a heart has to be revived it weakens, i think that ‘s why he died. His heart gave out. That being said, I think it’s a bit silly to get bogged down with why he died.

• Jennifer says:

Seems to me that he probably just had congestive heart failure brought upon by the stress of being in the plain crash and his bodies reaction to it (what happened in the finale). He could have had other issues as well that put him in the coma, but I think there was probably just unrepairable damage to his heart.

• Annette says:

It was obvious that Mark had Cancer, and he knew about it far before the plane crash. That’s why he dumped Lexi at first. He just happened to be in a plane crash. He died from the Cancer or what ever terminal illness he had. The chief clearly stated that the “surge” happens with terminally ill people. (Which I have witnessed first hand. It truly does.)

3. soxfan says:

The scenes with Cristina were so intense. When she hurled that vase – wow!! The scene with Owen & Cristina, when he first appeared at the hospital was unebelievable. She knew he was there, she became still. He’s the only one that can do that to her – but the bathtub scene was the most revealing & riveting & Owen intently listened to Cristina as she spoke of her 4 day ordeal ….. is it no wonder she fled to Mayo? The rest of the show was really good – I felt really bad for Alex when Arizona wished for him what she was going through, it is her injury talking. RIP Mark Sloan, I will miss you tremendously. I will miss your terrific sense of humor, being a terrific doctor & great mentor to Jackson. I will miss seeing you be a tremendous Dad to Sophia, being a loving friend to her Mom, Callie & being a good friend to Arizona, I will miss you being a great, great friend to Derek, & I will miss you being in love with Lexie but most of all I will just miss seeing you ….

• DarkDefender says:

Mostly we will miss you scantily clad… In the shower … with ony a towel. RIP McSteamy.

• Jules says:

a great, great friend who slept with Derek’s wife….Don’t get me wrong, I love Mark and I’m sad that he and Lexie are gone. But I wouldn’t consider him a great, great friend when he slept with his best friend’s wife.

4. Canadian_JBS says:

This was well done. They still could’ve aired this as the season premiere, but it worked a lot better than I thought going in. Now that pretty much everything is resolved (for better or for worse) bring on the rest of season 9.

5. Shelby says:

Jessica Capshaw was absolutely perfect in this episode.

6. Done says:

So in addition to Lexi’s disappointing end, we now know that the animals fed on her corpse as her sister and friends listened? What did the character of Lexi ever do to Shonda? The fans deserved a more fulfilling ending after Shonda’s promises from last season. Lexi and Mark were the reasons I watched. I am done with GA.

• Jenna587 says:

Are you kidding me?! Seriously? I didn’t get to watch the episode tonight, but I’m glad I read the recap before I did, and now I won’t. That’s horrific. I understand that that’s a real possibility if this were to happen in real life, but wow, Shonda must have really had it out for Chyler Leigh.

• Shaun says:

Was probly to avoid having to see the body/funeral.

• JKR says:

Probably. But her remains were on the plane that flew them back to Seattle. So a memorial service (or something) must have been done at some point.

• Kathleen says:

I thought that was the pilot. You’re probably right though because Mark looked at the body. I just wish we had seen more of the rescue and the coping that happened.

• Katlin says:

Well atleast they won’t be in pain anymore,

• Done says:

I watched last night hoping for a Lexie/Mark reunion of some sort. This is the show that gave us Izzy seeing George after his death, and then there’s Denny. I knew Chyler wouldn’t be back but Mark could have heard her voice or said her name before he died. I just felt that the way Lexie died and what happened to her corpse afterward was a slap in the face to fans who were promised a fulfilling Lexie/Mark storylune last year. Grey’s has had many deaths, Lexie’s was written badly, as if Shonda didn’t know what to do with her. Almost as if she didn’t care. There was no respect or reverance shown to a beloved character who suffered a lot during her tenure on the show.

• the8tregirl says:

Oh, yes, to the last sentence!

• Maya says:

If you watched the ep you’d know only Cristina was still awake by then. The others were all ‘a sleep’ as Cristina said. Also: I was a lexi/mark fan and I would not have needed a ‘more fulfilling ending’ (unless of course it was all a dream and it never happened. What ‘more fulfilling ending’ could there be?? She was already flattened by a plane. There was never going to be a funeral where she would have been visible anyway…

• Kathleen says:

Yes to that. It’s incredibly realistic that she would have been devoured by animals. They were in the woods for several days. It’s a grotesque and unfortunate reality.

7. Jennifner says:

Jessica Capshaw was amazing. She’s underutilized and waaaay underrated!! Rock on J-Cap!

8. Frank says:

Clearly Greys needs more Capshaw….!

9. N says:

Callie was great!

10. madhatter360 says:

I loved the beginning when Bailey showed up holding Zola for Meredith.

11. Anabela says:

Amazing CRISTINA OWEN

12. BJohnson says:

Great episode. Can we just give Sandra Oh the Emmy? Actually I also thought about animals with all the flowing blood and Lexie’s body and Arizona’s leg (picking the bugs out the wound was also hard to hear) Also I secretly wished the vase hit whoever called her an end table.

13. jull says:

why arizona is not dead ?? why ?!

• gwen says:

This! Raving blonde bitch. I have zero sympathy for her. Why couldn’t they just let her die when they had the chance? This shrew just needs to STFU and go away.

14. Abby says:

The episode was really great. The part that really got to me was when Cristina described what the animals did to Lexie’s body. That was horrifying! Also, the fact that she didn’t sleep. Cristina has gone through so much crap during her time working at that hospital; I don’t blame her for wanting to leave.

I wish that Shonda had Mark mention his other daughter. However, I was happy that Shonda addressed the fact that Mark was in a relationship at the time of the crash and showed them breaking up. I thought she was just going to pretend that she didn’t exist, too.

15. Tracy says:

Whatever happened to the pilot? Jerry? Lol just wondering. The setup for this episode, in my opinion, was confusing and I didn’t like it. I wish we could have just picked up episode 1 with them in the woods

• bob says:

a friend theorized that the body bag was the pilot… lexie would still be squished under the plane, which would take more then a helicopter to lift, and the top half was eaten by animals which would have probably torn her apart till there wasent really anything left to fill a body bag with.

• Alicia says:

Yeah but if you noticed when dr. Bailey was on the plane she looked sadly at the body bag.. Which led me to believe that was Lexi.. I mean unless you think she was just sad about the whole situation which is understandable too.. Idk so many theories

16. anonymouse1013 says:

Absolute utter brilliance by Sandra Oh (and Kevin McKidd) in that bathroom scene. Hauntingly beautiful to figure out what happened out there. Yikes! I still want to know how she ended up being a mess to being fit to operate…

• Ava says:

I was in and out through the episode but that scene had me captivated. I couldn’t change the channel. Sanra Oh’s dead delivery of her lines was heartbreaking! When she was talking about realizing that the animals were fighting over Lexie’s body, I got chills.

• soxfan says:

The time jump was approximately 3 months ahead of their being rescued – so with enough care by Owen apparently Cristina was well enough to leave him …. again …. for Mayo. The type of psychosis Cristina went through is usually short lived. That bathtub scene was just beautifully acted with Owen taking care of Cristina & totally engaging in all she revealed. I loved the way he spoke to her while bathing her – very soothing, very calmly, very lovingly – Kevin McKidd & Sandra Oh are just pure magic together. And I loved it when she hurled that vase … though don’t the interns sound just like Cristina, Alex, Meredith & the rest when they were interns & all the names they called people? Everything has gone full circle.

17. Lyndsey says:

Personally I thought it was a horrible way to tell us what happened in between the finale and the premiere. We saw no reactions from those in Seattle and everything was so scattered and disjointed that it made for a terrible storyline. I agree with someone from earlier, the whole “surge” deal was such a cop-out. And after basically one episode of Arizona I’m wishing she was the one who died. I’ve been through intense trauma, and even had my leg threatened by a MRSA staph infection, and let me tell you, behavior like that is beyond self-centered & cowardly. Few people deserve to have such horrific trauma in their lives but it happens every freaking day so put on your big girl pants and deal with it. Yes it’s only a TV show but I’ve dealt with that “why me” attitude until I’m sick of it.

• kristen says:

Couldn’t agree more. The whole episode was so back and forth and just didn’t flow. Very annoying to watch. How where they found? What was the reaction? The surge thing was the stupidest thing I ever heard. Lame. Lame. Lame. And not because of the actors. Just bad writing!!

• Dick Whitman says:

I totally agree with both of you. Those transitions were awful.

Honestly, I stopped watching since season 5 and I happened to catch the last minutes of the episode before the seasons finale (the crash), so I tuned in for that episode, tuned in for last week’s weloveMcSteamyrama and was bored to death.

And tonight’s episode was a big Oh That’s Why I Stopped Watching.

18. Sara says:

Ugh. I really don’t like Arizona and I never have. She has always been an unbelievably selfish character. This episode really highlighted that for me. I am glad that her true colors are really showing. The way she treated Alex was disgraceful. She FORCED him off of that plane because she got mad that he is trying to be the best doctor he can be. She tried to keep him from searching out amazing job opportunites. It is her own fault she was on that plane, so she shouldn’t be blaming him.

• Kelli says:

I totally agree. This was all I could think while watching.

• kjess says:

This. she threw a temper tantrum like a 2 year old and that’s how she ended up on the plane. It was not Alex’s fault she behaved like a child.

• Juliana says:

I was so so sooooo irritated by this! Seriously, it was a tragedy… nobody’s fault! Grow up.

• Alice says:

Thank you! I get that people love the Arizona-Callie relationship- but this is a separate problem. She was acting unprofessional and immature about Alex’s job prospects all during the end of last season; rather than letting him make an honest evaluation of all his options she sabotaged him, it was practically unethical. And then when somebody finally picks him, a huge professional opportunity, and he takes it, she only thinks of herself. He didn’t want to be ordered off the plane, SHE did it. In a childish fit of pique, to teach him a lesson, she took away another professional opportunity. I thought maybe going through the crash would have given her perspective, but she came out as selfish as she went in. To then sit there and tell Alex that this is all his fault, to rub it in about Izzie having left as well- was despicable- GROW UP, Arizona. I can only imagine her reaction when she found out Alex cut off her leg.

• Alicia says:

Guys in the finale she was in a bad mood cuz one of her closest friends was dying of cancer?? So she basically just lost it on Alex.

• Sara says:

Her being in a bad mood does not explain nor excuse her actions in sabatoging Alex’s career due to her selfishness.

• Alicia says:

Oh no I totally agree but others were confused about y she was mad.. Saying she was just mad that Alex was gonna go to Hopkins when in fact he was just unfortunately her go to person for a freak out!!

19. AB says:

I just don’t get why everyone acted like Callie was the only doctor left in the hospital who could help them. Too bad that vase didn’t hit one of those smug little interns.

20. Alicia L. says:

OH MY GOD I AM HORRIFIED!! Not by the episode, but my what Shonda wrote about what happened to Lexie!! That is terrible! She was never by favorite character, but god that is so wrong and twisted and no one deserves that to happen to them even after they are dead.

• GoGiants says:

Guess what? We are all a part of nature and the food chain. You want real horror? Research what happens to a body in a typical modern coffin. It makes being eaten by animals seem fun.

• tripoli says:

Look, everyone gets the realness of that scenario, but it didn’t need to be said. That’s a sore spot on top of a sore spot for the fans of Lexie and the Lexie and Mark pairing who were basically promised something and got the death of a fave character instead. People are just frustrated. Doesn’t mean they don’t understand the real life aspects of the story.

• charlene says:

I find it interesting that everyone is so horrified at a (wolf?) animal eating dead Lexie’s body when bugs were eating the flesh of a live Arizona. The animals getting to Lexie (which are predators of the woods), allowed them food and not to eat the one’s sleeping and alive. Just saying; guess I am different.

• Amy says:

I’ll admit I laughed at the screen when Cristina told Owen about the animals and Lexie. Of course Shonda would go there. That’s her MO. She kicks (in this case the Lexie and Mark fans) when they are down. Totally agree it is realistic but so much of GA isn’t so why go there now? Twisted could be Shonda’s middle name.

21. Abby says:

I am a die hard ga fan…but to think this many awful
    Things happens to the same group of people has become rediculous and made the show just flat out silly. Mer almost drowns, a shooting, George dies,izzies cancer, and now this? And of all the wonderful characters she’s killed, they just let izzie leave? She’s the one chsrcater that should have left the show via death.

22. Montie says:

The thing that ticked me off the most is that Mark didn’t get to see Sofia before he slipped into a coma.

• Carrie says:

This is what bothered me as well! I don’t understand Shonda at all. Just when things are seemingly sad/bad enough, she has to do something else to make things even worse. What was the point of that? He sits there and looks at Webber, someone he has little connection to, yet Shonda couldn’t allow him to have a few moments with his daughter! Shonda is making this show almost unwatchable.

23. HarperSmith says:

I watched a few hours ago and the more I think about it the more I dislike this episode. I’m a loyal Grey’s fan, but it just seemed… off? What answers did we get? How were they found? What ACTUALLY happened out there? While Christina and Hunt’s bathroom scene was phenomenal- I think the viewers deserved a little more explanation. And Mark… A Surge? Really? Last week we are given a beautiful goodbye to Eric Dane, yet Chyler gets eaten by animals? What about Meredith’s realization that Lexi died- or at least mourning? Mark could write an entire will, but couldn’t hold Sophia again even though Jackson was in such a hurry to get her that he couldn’t talk to April? There were SO many gaps. I would have loved for them split this episode into 2 parts. One- the search for and survival of the group; two- weeks in the hospital. The choppiness as mixed time jumps made this episode very awkward. Better luck next time, Shonda and Co.

• Alichat says:

I had a problem with the timeline on the Mark and Sophia bit as well. It doesn’t take that long to get to the daycare and get Sophia. Jackson was running to get her. So how was it that Mark was able to have a pretty long conversation with Webber about the surge, fill out a DNR, then slowly braids down, and is intubated before Jackson gets there with Sophia? The timing made no sense. I would have liked it if he’d gotten to see her one last time, and then he declines.

• Annette says:

Totally agreed. Meredith never shed a tear about her own sister.

• Alicia says:

That’s not true!! She was hysterical over lexis in the season finale!!!

• Was that before or after she was too focused looking for her husband than worrying about the broken tail of the plane crushing her sister to death?

• Alicia says:

Kind of during.. Lol she went looking for Derek and Couldn’t find him so she went to Christina all panicked and Christina said to go see Lexi which she did but didn’t make it on time. I’m married and have a sister and I can’t even imagine who I would try to find first… I love them both so much!!

• susan says:

I think there should have been a 2 hour season premiere. There was way too much that they tried to squeeze into this episode.

24. Katie says:

Did they use the same overly dark hair dye on both Karev and Jackson? It just looks so strange on them both with their complexions…

25. Camilla says:

Is it bad that I’m pissed about them not even mentioning what happened to the pilot? It bugged me the whole episode

• AB says:

Lol I wanted to know too. I guess we should assume he is just handicapped now.

• Alichat says:

I thought he died. Christina climbed into the plane looking for something…I think a first aid kit or food or something, and she was asking him where it was and he was unresponsive. I thought she checked his pulse and realized he had died.

26. Jenn says:

I’m so disappointed with these first two episodes. I guess Shonda has written this show, and others, for so long that she feels a big need to be more creative…I get that…but this did not work. At all.

I could be okay with last weeks premiere skipping ahead in time, but then to have thd second episode skip around so much…it just ruined it. There needed to be an episode that included the details and tenseness of those in Seattle realizing what happened and the search going on… We needed to see more of what happened in the woods. I get that not seeing, and leaving it to our imagination – which could paint a more horrifying story than they could write – has its place, but there simply wasn’t enough to draw those thoughts out. Cristina’s bathtub scene with Owen was very well done. But it wasn’t enough.

We needed to see people finding out about Lexie. And, hearing about what happened after she died was horrible, but it’s realistic and one of the few details we even got about what went on all that time. And, as annoyed as I am with Shonda’s writing of these two episodes, saying she killed Lexie off because she hated the character or actress is just stupid.

And, at the least, we needed to know why Mark died. Injuries, obviously, but would it have killed her to go into slightly more detail? I’d even overlook the surge thing!

Seriously, this has to be the last season of this show. Shonda’s interests are obviously elsewhere.

• Kathleen says:

Agreed, but I think we should give season 9 a chance. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the plane crash and missing details. Very unfulfilling.

27. Ali says:

Meredith and Derek are my least favorite characters. The reason I started watching GA was because of Lexie and Mark and Alex. Now, with Lexie and Mark gone, I guess I’ll stick around a while and see what happens to Karev. I also like Owen and Christina but the rest bore me. It seems like another show is slowly going down the drain.

28. James says:

How come you never mention anything about Meredith. dude she’s the star of the show and not one mention of her in your recap . thats crap. grow up. and write things as they are. not as you wish they were.. your love lexie is gone.. thank God. so let someone else do the recap like Matt. matt loved Meredith and writes good stuff. jeez. Ellen Pompeo did exceptional acting this episode. amazing stuff and yet not one single mention from you. Give her the recap and mention she deserves. what show are you watching??

• Alicia says:

As a TV writer across the Pacific – Lay off! There is never need to put someone down if they don’t write what you want them too. hence the comment section where you have your say. Check your spelling, grammar and manners!

• Stacie says:

THANK YOU! Well said.

• Jan says:

Good comment well said.The writers on this show are excellent. The actors are excellent. The writers of these comment do not know how to spell and do not know good grammar and do not have good manners.

• Alicia says:

Beautifully said!! This is a friendly comment page where we discuss what we liked and didn’t like. We don’t need to be mean to the writers. What if shonda reads these??

• maltru says:

“What show are you watching??” The one where Meredith did a good job this week, but the meat of the story was with other characters. So, I think the recapper did a good job covering the important aspects of the episode.

29. kiwigirljacks says:

I just have to say, Eric Dane.. WOW.. what superb acting that was in the final seconds before he slips into the coma he never comes back from. Broke my heart! The way his breathing slowed, the look in his eyes as he looks at Richard, knowing what is happening… that was just unbelievably heart breaking and beautifully acted!

I think we had to learn some of the horrific things that went on during the period before they were rescued, otherwise how were we to believe that Christina went into such a state (which she acted brilliantly!).. Christina had the weight of the world on her shoulders trying to hold it all together out there for everyone.

And yes, Ellen Pompeo… brilliant, but definitely overshadowed in this episode.

Agree with all that was said about Arizona!

30. westwingwolf says:

The point of Cristina’s speech was to put emphasis on the horrific ordeal of what happened in the woods. It had to be a lot to put her into this psychosis because apparently she was able to stay awake longer than anyone else so she witnessed more than anyone else. Whatever feelings you have about Lexie, you can’t hide what would logically happen out there. Did anyone really think animals were going to ignore a perfectly good rotting carcass? No. Sorry, but wild animals aren’t Disney characters. They aren’t going to see a bunch of humans in distress and a dead body and figure they should back off. On the scale of bad things happening to Lexie’s body, that was better than what I was worried was going to happen which was the survivors being forced to deal with starvation or instead sacrifice her body in the name of hunger. Imagine that storyline and suddenly the animals eating her body doesn’t seem as bad.

31. Adam says:

If Sandra Oh gets snubbed from the emmys once again I don’t know what will happen. How can you ignore the greatness that is Sandra Oh? Come on academy, get it together!

32. zmopardude says:

What happened to the pilot? Did he die also and get eaten by animals?

• Alicia says:

With the pilot they left it as he wouldn’t be able to walk anymore. Remember heisting stabbed him wih something and said I’m sorry. In my opinion I love the how and think its still great. I just have 2 problems…1. I wish they would have shown how they were in fact found. Did Owen call Te ops and report his surgeons missing?? All we see is him listening to a message about how the doctors never showed up. 2. Why are they already skipping a week. I have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode!! That sux. They had 2 episodes and already we have to wait 2 more weeks for the next one. Sigh

• Kathleen says:

Do you pay attention to politics? The VP debate is next Thursday, hence why Grey’s isn’t on.

• Alicia says:

Wow that was snotty. I thought this was a friendly forum. I knew the debate was on just disappointed that I already had to wait for another episode.

33. Sam says:

Personally out of the whole show I felt more for Cristina….but the monologue at the end where Meredith ja leaving the voicemail for Cristina, I thought that said it all….

34. Alicia says:

OMG – In AUSTRALIA and last week downloaded easily – this week nothing will work. Am reading this crying as I wanna see so bad. I have to wait till Tuesday now!

35. Dominique says:

It was a terrible episode. Cristina’s flashbacks were really powerful, kudos to Sandra Oh for the excellent performance!

But I was disgusted to learn to wild animals were fighting over Lexie’s body. Such a disgrace to this beautiful character who already had such a gruesome death. Couldn’t Shonda just leave it at that? Why did she had to dishonor that little bit of dignity of the character that was left, by having someone else say that she heard how they were feeding Lexie’s corpse. Unbelievable.
    This was the only episode I wanted to see, because I was expecting more intenste stuff. I expected to see the full responses of everyone to the planecrash, to Lexie’s death.

Now I’m done.

• Kathleen says:

I agree with everything you said, except the bit about Lexie. Unfortunately that just logically makes sense and it added to the horror of what they were experiencing.

36. AB says:

I was hoping to see a funeral for Lexie or a memorial. Maybe what was left of Lexi in the body bag next to Mark was cremated and Merideth will put Lexi with Mark. I know I’m reaching that it will be addressed but it would be a nice wrap up for them.

37. Ana says:

Why doesn’t Sandra Oh have any Emmy yet? For crying out loud. It is ridiculous that she keeps getting overlooked. This epi was the darkest I’ve ever seen with the whole Cristina having to drink her own urine and listening to the beasts fight over Lexie’s body. It was creepy, but it was realistic. That one thing bothered me since the season finale as they were all sitting around the plane. I kept thinking that animals were bound to sniff out Lexie’s body and come for it. Besides Cristina did say that she tried to keep them away. I was sad that Mark didn’t get to say goodbye to Sofia but I’m not sure it would have worked out that well with a toddler. Loving Callie and Arizona. JCap really hit it out of the park. I feel like the show has taken a new turn. Like it’s been re-energized. I even like the new interns. They are there but don’t take the spotlight.

38. G-Spice says:

Lame & boring except for Sandra Oh. Might as well kill the whole cast and then do 8 more seasons of disjointed lackluster flashbacks.

39. kateshomesick says:

What Arizona said to Alex is absolutely inexcusable. I get why a person in her situation would think about it like she did….but the wording…what she said was disgusting and could have done real damage. I always thought that she was a selfish character and only good with the happy-go-lucky situations but no matter the circumstances (I’m not very resentful) if someone had said that to me, I could probably never forgive that and I couldn’t accept an apology.
    I normally don’t get so wrapped up in TV shows…I just don’t get why Shonda would make her a total *ssh*le…
    I’ve had people in my surroundings that had very traumatic experiences and yeah, they did lash out but not in that way…

40. Bren says:

I too am really disappointed..not in the episode..but of the writing of the aftermath. I think this particualr episode could have been dragged out to at least 2 eps. They definitley should have showed how the other Doctors learned of the crash…how did Callie deal with those 4 days knowing that Mark & Arizona were in a plane crash and were missing? Who took care of Zola? When did Owen finally call that Boise Dr. back? All of that would have been awesome material for the actors to play…maybe switching back to images of them out there in the woods from the finale. I understand that they were on location for the finale last year…so they couldn’t go back out there…but they could have just used some of the last scenes or something. That would have been powerful stuff for them to play. Why is that Shonda seems to always skip over the reactions to stuff. She only goes for the Drama and initial acts. Same as the shootings. We didn’t get to see anyone right after it happened….it did a time jump. That’s so annyoing. And what about everyone finding out Lexie died..how bout her exes Alex & Jackson…no reaction whatsoever. Or Meredith or anyone grieving for her? Nothing!! Shonda also doesn’t like to deal with death…it’s like ok they died move on. And next weeks previews doesn’t give any indication that anyone is upset of Mark & Lexie’s death anymore. What about Meredith seeing her father and telling him what happened?? That’s what really bugs me about this show. I’m loyal and always watch…but we never get any good payoff from major events!!

41. Karen says:

The part of the episode that made me cry the most was,oddly, when Arizona blamed Alex for her state. I’m really looking forward to how that relationship is going to go.
    Also, can we please give Alex a wife and kids in the near future?

42. BrianR says:

Lets see not only to you kill Lexie you have her eaten by forrest creatures Shonda. Thats it over and out.

43. CJ says:

just curious…did the pilot live?

44. lc says:

Alex did not give her his seat, she took it. Hopefully the writers don’t have Alex be this sheepish character now and stay true to him by having him say to Arizona if she wasn’t a child about him leaving for an opportunity that finally came after all of the sabatouge efforts and kicking him off the plane, something he wanted to do, that she would not be in this situation so it was not him be selfish but her.

• Jo says:

Why is it that everyone is forgetting the actual reason that Arizona was so mad and hurt by Alex? It was not because he decided to leave but because he did not tell her and led her to believe he was staying – hello ? The 2 people who have supported and believed in Alex the most are Mer and Arizona. I liked this episode much better after watching it for the 2nd time – the acting was fabulous esp. Sandra, Jessica, Sara, and Ellen.

• yankee77 says:

I don`t understand all the Arizona hate from others. She`s going through this huge traumatic event, not only the potential which turned final amputation but the crash itself. She has every right to be devasted,angry, sad, frantic, to feel however the hell she wants to feel. She is scarred emotionally, psychologically and now physically. How is she supposed to act? “oh hey my leg is gone, oh look is that a rainbow?” As for her speech to Alex, it was harsh but some of the things she said were true.She was lashing out in that moment but I think she`ll come to realize she chose to get on that plane and she`ll have to reconcile that. She likes Alex and has always stood up for him and believed in his talent even when he didn`t deserve it. Besides, Alex can be just as mean and harsh, some of it unjustified. All these characters have flaws in some way shape or form. Meredith, Christina, Derek, Owen, Alex, Callie, and Arizona. How boring would this show be if they didn`t.

• punkash says:

Thank you! I mean its the first two episodes of the season! Im sure if I had my leg chopped off I would be a little upset. If you really think about it how would people react if they didnt have a leg anymore? Arizona has the right to be upset. I love Arizona and I know she wont be gone long. Everybodys judging GA so quickly and its barely begun.. I strongly disagree that its bad writting. Its only the beginning and I cant wait to see what happens next.

• Jo says:

Well said – I totally agree. I also don’t understand the hate for Arizona. Considering all that’s happened I think it’s very understandable that she needs to go through a dark place and when she gets through it she’ll be stronger and an even better person than she already is with an even stronger love with Callie. I can’t wait to see the journey these characters make this season.

45. juan says:

I’m so sad, I thought it was a great episode and I don’t really think it was confusing it was well made and very sad.

46. susela says:

Arizona was on that plane because she had a hissy fit when she discovered Karev was taking the job at Hopkins. She insisted on taking his spot and it’s her own freakin’ fault for being so reactive—so, it’s particularly galling that she blames him or somehow feels his life is less important and therefore he should be the injured one.

47. Caro says:

Sondering why I’m still watching… Oh yeah It’s because Mer & Der are happy together!

48. Bob says:

To the ninnies being all “Why did Shonda fdelt the need to tell us about animals eating Lexie? Why couldn’t she let her be dead etc?”. Google “plane crash, rugby team”. Then feel lucky Cristina didn’t explain how they had to eat the remains of Lexie’s body to survive.
    I get that you love a character, but sometimes, even on Grey’s Anatomy, you need to get back in touch with reality

• Not a "Ninnie" says:

This wasn’t a documentary about the rugby team, Grey’s Anatomy is a fictional show and, unless used for shock value, disresepecting the memory of a character that many of us loved by describing animals fighting over her remains is unnecessary. Sandra could have alluded to something happening without going there. I felt this was just gratuitous and cheapened the episode. If I want specifics, I watch documentaries or do my research. Part of what keeps these shows on the air is the audience’s love of these characters. It is why people tune in. We’re emotionally attached. Taking that for granted for the sake if shock value is what keeps people from tuning in.

49. Kathleen says:

I still feel completely dissatisfied. I wish we got the details of what happened out there in the woods, and the details of how the Seattle Grace doctors began to realize what happened. We didn’t see Owen make all the calls, and the other doctors realize there was a problem. I wish that they had picked up RIGHT where they left off and gave us the details that way. I feel a little cheated that they made us wait that long and nothing was really solved. I wish we had seen everything.

50. teti says:

Sinceramente credo che l’attrice di Arizona e Cristina abbiano una marcia in piu’..geniali nel calarsi nei personaggi.
    Per quanto riguarda la trama credo che la fine di Lexie mangiata dagli animali era la piu’ logica anche se certamente atroce ma del resto un cadavere in un bosco…non ha possibilita’ di scampo! Arizona e’ un personaggio egoista ma certamente non meno di Callie che la obbliga ad accettare una figlia del suo migliore amico..e per quanto riguarda Alex la penso come lei…Se e’ diventato un ottimo medico e’ solo merito di Arizona che ha fatto di tutto per farlo crescere e quindi era giusto che rimanesse con lei, sbagliato invece e’ accusarlo di un incidente aereo…