Ratings: CBS Dramas Dominate Again, Voice Clip Show Quiets NBC's New Comedies, Dixie Steady

CBS had another very, very good Tuesday this week, as each of its three dramas dominated their time slots in both total viewers and in the 18-49 demo.

NCIS, for starters, repeated as the night’s most watched/highest rated program — with 18.5 million viewers and a 3.6 rating — despite dipping about 10 percent from Season 10’s premiere. NCIS: LA (14.9 mil/3.1) was also down about 10 percent while trouncing all comers. And newbie Vegas, with 12.1 million viewers and a 2.1 rating (down 19 and 16 percent), nearly doubled second-place Private Practice‘s audience while topping the 10 pm demo.

Elsewhere on the night:

* NBC’s The Voice recap special brought its numbers down 30 percent to 8.22 mil/2.9, setting up the 9 o’clock comedy hour for declines. Go On, with 6 mil and a 2.2, was down 13 and 19 percent, while The New Normal (4.6 mil/1.7) slipped 10 and 15 percent. Capping the Peacock’s night, though, Parenthood (4.5 mil/1.7) dipped just a few percentage points.

VIDEO | The Voice Exclusive: Blake’s Team Rates Their Auditions! Plus: Blake Gives Good Gloat!

* Fox’s Raising Hope returned to 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating as a self-starter, down more than 40 percent from its Season 2 premiere (which of course led out of New Girl). Ben and Kate (3.3 mil/1.6) dropped 24 percent, but New Girl (5.1 mil/2.8) held onto its premiere numbers. The Mindy Project — which apparently is set here, in (a very sunny version of) New York City…? — fell 20 percent from its debut, to 3.75 mil/1.9.

* Dancing With the Stars‘ whatever-that-was special opened ABC’s night with a soft 8.2 mil/1.3, placing fourth in the hour. DWTS‘ results show then held steady week-to-week with 11.8 mil/2.1, but Private Practice‘s 100th episode (6.1 mil/1.6) slipped 16 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Private Practice 100th Episode Recap: Highs and Lows

* The CW’s Hart of Dixie opened Season 2 with 1.54 million total viewers and a 0.7 rating, down just a tenth in the demo from its series debut (which aired on a Monday) and flat with 90210‘s year-ago performance in the Tuesday-at-8 spot.

RELATED | Hart of Dixie Recaplet and Poll: Did Zoe Make the Right Choice?

What were you tuned into this second Tuesday of the new Fall TV season?

1. Martina says:

Ben & Kate was woeful, I’ve now dropped it, so that’s 5 new shows & counting that I’ve stopped watching.

2. Jamie says:

Private Practice is dead. ABC needs to call time of death already.

• Keren says:

Do you think that there’s anything that Shonda and her team could do to revive PP, Jamie?

• Lola says:

While it’s at it, it might consider how it wants to replace the DwTS block after this go-round. Not only is the demo abysmal for Dancing, it’s infecting all the shows around it. If I were ABC, I’d be looking for a better spot for Last Resort – due to the solid buzz around the premiere – and hyping the heck out of Nashville – thanks to the great reviews and putting my head down to try to find a new reality juggernaut. ABC could be in some real trouble otherwise. Then again, FOX’s comedy block seems a bit DOA as well, so there’s that. It just seems like Tuesdays have real room for counter-programming the NCIS procedural block and the tough-guy Vegas and no network has really taken advantage of that.

• Heather says:

ABC’s comedy block of Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B—- will come back in a couple of weeks (Oct. 23rd I think?) so that may help them out some on Tuesday evenings. I know I’m anxiously waiting for both of those shows because they’re the only two comedies I watch on a semi-regular basis anymore! =) (Agree that DWTS seems to be trending down which is not good for the rest of ABC’s lineup right now)

3. Heather says:

NCIS had 18+ million viewers but only a 3.6 demo rating?! Suddenly Once Upon a Time’s 3.9 demo from Sunday looks even more solid than I originally thought, LOL =) Private Practice should have never been moved out of the post Grey’s time slot. Scandal is a great show that would work anywhere else IMO but PP benefited from GA’s lead in so much that moving it away from there last year is what killed it. That makes me sad because PP has been pretty good for the most part this year. =(

4. Eridapo says:

For all the talk about Monday’s results. Tuesday looks even worst. There is no Football to compete against, yet all your shows are showing massive declines

You know there is something up, and it is what no one likes to talk about. People aren’t watching TV like they did before, and the ratings are reflecting that. People watch online, OnDemand, Hulu, Netflix, and DVR. To say that live+SD represents a shows true audience is misleading.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Does Live+SD show the “true audience”? No, I don’t think anyone is saying that anymore. But does Live+SD show the non-fast-forwarding audience that advertisers care about/spend money against? Yes.

• alysse says:

No one denies that. But it’s also getting hard to ignore that the traditional TV business model is not sustainable for the long-term. If the networks can’t figure out how to monetize other viewing methods, they’re going to be in big trouble in a few years.

• Eridapo says:

Exactly.

@ Matt.. The Live+Sd that is being reported carries Same Day DVR viewing information. If you want to report actual viewing with no FF, shouldn’t you just report Live viewing only.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Surely you understood my actual point, though. And Alysse is right as well — but until that shiny-happy day comes, these are the numbers that stir the drink.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

But they are figuring it out, I think, with the massive amount of product placement that’s now occurring within episodes. Sometimes it’s barely noticeable, and sometimes you’re forced to sit and listen to a group of characters praise the latest Subway sandwich for a full minute until you want to stab yourself in the eye. Mad Men writers have it the easiest with product placement because it fits so naturally into their show already. It’s too bad it doesn’t work out that smoothly for other shows.
          At least with things like Hulu, Netflix, and OnDemand you’re still forced to sit through the timed advertisements, so the networks at least have that. You can’t even fast forward through them. The real thing that’s killing the network’s ad time is when people pirate shows. I take no moral stance on that one way or the other. But I do think they could solve some of the pirating problems by making their shows easier to view on websites like Hulu and OnDemand. CBS and Fox seem to be the hardest networks to find recently aired shows of online through reputable websites, so if I was going to pirate (and I’m not saying I am), shows from those networks would be the likely ones I would be doing that with.
          I’m not sure I added anything to the conversation, but eh…there it is.

5. nicole says:

LOL! Private Practice time of death : 16.16. Goodbye!

6. Ally Oop says:

Private Practice was incredibly boring. I only watched it cause of Charlotte’s triplets storyline and Cooper’s son. All the other characters, except for Addison, are annoying.

7. sarah says:

I tried all the new comedies last week and only Mindy got a second shot. Because, good god, the rest are bad and im not convinced Mindy is either but warrsnted a second look. HofD is the only show on Tuesday that I watch as I don’t get the Canadian chsnnel that carries SOA.

8. Andrea says:

PP has had 6 seasons. That’s more than respectable in today’s TV world. It would probably do better if it had a better lead in…..but it’s done well for itself in the long run.

9. Jared says:

Why would ABC put PP after Greys Anatomy?..its a 6 year old series that has been declining for years. Its much smarter to put Scandal behind Greys and use the Greys lead in for a series ABC is trying to build in its second season.

• Heather says:

PP was always after GA up until last season when ABC decided to get creative and moved it to Tuesday nights (sealing it’s fate IMO) so they could put Scandal S1 there. PP always did all right coming up after GA (not the highest ratings but much better than what they’re getting now) and was a good fit there since the shows tend to have similar audiences. I think Scandal is a good enough show that they could have handled that Tuesday slot better than PP but that’s just my opinion.

10. Natalie says:

NCIS was great last night and I also enjoyed “Raising Hope” and “New Girl” – Schmidt and CeCe were my favorite storyline last night, but the Nick/Jess thing was good too. And “Vegas” seemed better than it did in its premiere episode. Maybe because the introductions were finished and the case seemed more solid. NCIS was definitely my favorite of the night though, it was nice seeing Ducky, the Tiva bits were good-not sure if I’m seeing real progress there yet, but it was enjoyable at least, I like that they’re dealing with the aftermath realistically and Vance just broke my heart with his last scene of the evening.

11. Dean says:

I only watch Go On which is a wonderful show. Tried Vegas again last night and didn’t enjoy it. I’m probably not going to watch it anymore. Those ratings are really bad on CBS and it’ll be cancelled if it continues like that.

12. Patricia says:

Ben and Kate wasn’t as funny as last week but I’ll give a few more episodes. Lucy Punch is hilarious. And the Mindy project was better this week.

• iMember says:

I disagree. I liked last night’s Ben & Kate more than the Pilot. Same thing with The Mindy Project. I really wish they were doing better in the ratings, especially B&K, because I really like this one.

13. Jen says:

Thank you for pointing out that the Mindy Project is apparently set in New York. Last week I thought they were in LA…even after the show started last night with them riding the subway, I still didn’t believe it. Then someone said they were from Rockaway..I’d love to find which part of NYC they’re living in, because it ain’t where I am!

14. Joe says:

Dancing is in trouble because they are stretching the show to 2 hours what the could so in a half an hour and hour is pushing it , hope it does not effect happy endings and the b in apt 23 ,and except for raising hope and new girl the rest of fox comidies suck

15. Happy to have Hart of Dixie steady on tuesday and up against NCIS, last night was a great start to season 2.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

I think I’m pretty much done with the DWTS results shows. It’s a long period of time to sit through just to find out who got eliminated. I don’t even get off work until after it’s aired anyway, so I can very easily go online and find out how it went long before I get home. Not sure why I’m even still bothering to DVR it, it’s keeping New Girl from recording, which I’d much rather watch.
    I hope The Mindy Project picks up in ratings. It’s one of those shows where I feel like the writers are starting to get into my head with some of the character lines. “Why did you call this meeting? Is it Oscar ballot season already?” “No, that’s March and February. Don’t worry. I’ll let you know.”

17. murley says:

loved ben and kate again last night. alan ruck was great and the little shout out to ferris bueller was awesome!

18. tvaddict says:

Starting to worry about my Tuesday night comedies on Fox….Praying Happy Endings & Apt 23 do better when they return

19. Joy says:

Sorry but Ben & Kate left me feeling exhausted. I’ve tuned it out.