Did Dallas Not Dupe Us Enough? Is McKayla Made for Teen TV? Did Owen Drop Dead? And More Qs!

Jake DaltonWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Breaking Bad, The Closer, Dallas and Rookie Blue! But first, the Olympics!

1 | Do you think the overly enthusiastic commentators – “This is state of the art!” – are jinxing the Olympic athletes?

2 | Is Jake Dalton the hottest male gymnast in U.S. Olympic history? (Hey, we’re allowed the occasional rhetorical Q.)

3 | Watching Usain Bolt’s post-victory push-ups, did it strike you that he’d be the best possible candidate for the “Athlete” slot on Season 16 of Dancing With the Stars?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Gossip Girl, Dexter, NCIS, Bones, Big Bang, Vamp Diaries and More!

4 | Did you catch — and love — American sprinter Allyson Felix’s shout-out to ABC’s Scandal during a post-race interview?McKayla Maroney

5 | How has McKayla Maroney not yet been offered a guest spot on some ABC Family or CW series? Come on, the face says it all…

6 | Is there any way to erase from our memories the horror of Ryan Seacrest’s social-media updates, before American Idol returns in January?

That concludes the Olympics portion of this week’s column. Now back to our regular programming…

7 | Did you wish for more (or any!) Jesse Plemons in the latest Breaking Bad, especially after the Friday Night Lights alum made such a fleeting debut last week? And while we appreciate Skyler’s practical/ethical concerns (and Anna Gunn’s performance), will Walt’s wife be a wet blanket for all of this final season?

8 | How nice was it see Political Animals creator Greg Berlanti show off his Dawson’s Creek roots by casting David Monahan – Jack’s first boyfriend on the Creek – as T.J.’s married, Republican lover? Speaking of the troubled Barrish boy, what was more tragic — T.J.’s own OD, or that he lured poor Gunner off the wagon? (Seeing even fictional addictions reignited always puts a pit in our stomach.) And as adorbs as Doug’s fiancée is, how sad was it that she fell for the oldest trick in our the book, unwittingly revealing big scoop by tripping on a surreptitiously posed question?

9 | Do you vote for The Newsroom‘s Will to have a few bites of his “special” baked goods before every show? It certainly seemed to make him much more fun to be around.

10 | Drop Dead Diva theory: Is Owen actually dead? Wasn’t it odd how no one aside from Jane talked to him or acknowledged his presence at the firm?

11 | Did The Closer‘s Corey Reynolds impress you with his performance within what was admittedly an over-the-top storyline, as Gabriel’s girlfriend confessed to being “planted” in his life? Now onto a new mystery: Why did murder suspect Scott Michael Foster’s grandma gift him — recently, mind you — with an extremely dated iPod model? (Maybe it was to explain why he had no incriminating photos on it…?)

RELATED | Major Crimes Vs. The Closer: What’s the Same? What’s Different? And Is There Still Candy?

12 | Did you catch Ginny’s sly defense of the rapid-fire Bunheads (and Gilmore Girls) dialogue — “It’s funnier when it’s faster” — cloaked in a throwaway comment about old-time movie banter? And how is that the things we like about this show are also the things we dislike?

13 | Wouldn’t it be a little weird if Blake won Season 2 of The Glee Project, making him the third male champ in two seasons? In such a scenario, Oxygen might as well add a subtitle: “The Search for the Next Darren Criss-style Breakout Heartthrob.”

14 | If Dallas really wanted to hornswoggle us with Rebecca’s true identity, why didn’t they name Tommy’s sister Gladys, Ethel or something? Also, wouldn’t you have liked to see the TNT drama pull the rug out from us a bit more, with another juicy twist that fewer people saw coming? Meanwhile, that dramatic shot panning away from the new Ewing offices at the close of the finale — was that CGI? Helicopter? Camera pigeon? Whatever the case, well done.

RELATED | Dallas Star Weighs In on the Finale’s Big Reveal: ‘I Get to Play a Whole Different Character!’

15 | Do you find NBC’s Go On to be more like Community — could Matthew Perry’s snarky radio jock be more like Jeff Winger? — or Perry’s ABC sitcom Mr. Sunshine?

16 | Burn Notice fans, was Fiona’s “Boston bad girl” outfit the most hideous, unflattering thing you have ever seen, ever?

17 | Having seen The X Factor‘s Season 2 key art, we must ask this important question: Shouldn’t Demi Lovato go back to being a brunette before the live shows begin?

18 | Is Sadie’s unseen Uncle Dan on Awkward the new Tino? (If you got that reference, brownie points for you!) And can we have next week’s episode now?!

19 | Um, didn’t Project Runway‘s Top 3 contestants this week basically make the same grey or black dress?

20 | Who would have thought Rookie Blue‘s running phone gag would become so important? That was one well-planted seed.

21 | And these three aren’t part of The CW’s 90210 because…?

Comments (86)

• 2. LOVE Jake Dalton, but Sam Mikulak is pretty gorgeous as well!

21. Oh my gosh, last night’s Rookie Blue gutted me (no pun intended, RIP Jerry!) I always got a giggle out of the phone gag, but well done to the RB team for how they used it last night, so something Jerry would do. Andy & Traci just sitting on the couch at the hospital, holding hands with tear-stained cheeks, ah so sad :(

Comment by Maggie – August 10, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Jake Dalton is a total looker, but my heart belongs to Sam Mikulak!!!

Comment by alyssa – August 10, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Both are great looking, but Jake’s eyes are the most gorgeous ones I’ve ever seen.

Comment by elr – August 10, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mmmm… Jake makes arguable better stills, but in like Sam’s stunning charisma, enthusiasm, and charm makes him so much more attractive.

Comment by Temperence – August 10, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • agreed!

Comment by Sha – August 11, 2012 08:44 PM PDT
    • WHAT?! JERRY DIES? Holy crap, I have to watch Rookie Blue on Hulu the very second I get home. (I didn’t even know there was a new ep this week.)

Comment by Ace – August 10, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • eeek, sorry for the spoiler!!

Comment by Maggie – August 10, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THanks for the SPOILER Ace!! I haven’t watched it yet :-( You suck!

Comment by Curly Girly – August 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, Ace…but I didn’t read Maggie’s comment because when I saw “Rookie Blue”, I didn’t read it for fear of spoilers. But then your comment in ALL CAPS couldn’t be avoided. :-(

Comment by Curly Girly – August 10, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sorry but the nature of this article is discussing the week’s shows. If you didn’t want spiilers, you shouldn’t have come here. I avoid this article when I haven’t watched The Glee Project yet, maybe you should follow suit. The world doesn’t stop for people who haven’t watched Rookie Blue yet.

Comment by dude – August 10, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Spoilerphobes just get their jollies from getting all indignant on these types of boards.

Comment by TV Gord – August 12, 2012 10:06 AM PDT
    • My mom and I were legitimately screaming at the TV. And then we cried like babies. Still in shock. Lol

Comment by Sara – August 10, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. As soon as he got stabbed, I screamed. It was probably one of the most shocking moments i never saw coming.

Comment by dude – August 10, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah it was nuts. Is it wrong I would have kind of preferred if Gail had died instead? Lol!

Comment by Sara – August 10, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nope, not wrong. I was hoping she would die and he would be ok.

Comment by stacey – August 10, 2012 09:30 PM PDT
      • ugh me too, ugly cried. didn’t see it coming at all!

Comment by B – August 10, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tino from my so called life. I need it to be Thursday again so I can see Jakes reaction! he’s too nice to have his heart stomped all over :(

Comment by Elyse – August 10, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #16 = EXACTLY what I was thinking while I was watching.

Comment by Lauren – August 10, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty Little Liars – Spencer didn’t get an acceptance email. The email notified her that UPenn had received her application.

Comment by Alex – August 10, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You would be correct; we mistook her ebullience for something else. Edited! — Management

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 10, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even more unbelievable than an acceptance letter would be is the mere idea that Spencer Hastings would forget to turn in her early admissions application. I don’t care how many times this week she and her loved ones got murdered by a pair of black gloves, it just wouldn’t happen. And even if it did, A would be the least of her worries because Mr. Hastings would have already murdered her with a field hockey stick and buried all the evidence in the backyard.

Comment by 8daymeg – August 10, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Indeed. And what colleges, especially Ivy’s, have paper applications anymore? Everything is online.

Comment by Alex – August 11, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #16 = EXACTLY what I was thinking while I was watching. Mr. Sunshine + Community (although that’s being a bit generous) = Go On

Comment by Lauren – August 10, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh I just want Mr Sunshine back. Was the only sitcom that I’ve watched via broadcast regularly in years. I love a lot of others (ie BBT) but watch on DVD.

Go On does look promising but ….. I want Mr Sunshine back!!!

:p oh well

Comment by megalion – August 11, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #13 – except that Blake’s the most talented one….if anyone else wins it’d clearly be pandering. Aileen is good too. But Blake blows them all out of the water. He’s on a different level and has actual chops.

Comment by colormelauren – August 10, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’d like to see a female win, and my guess is Aileen will, but Blake is the most deserving contestant. They really blew it last year; should’ve saved the multiple winners idea for better talent.

Comment by Tricia – August 10, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But this isn’t a competition for the best performer. It’s for the performer that most fits the upcoming season they have planned. If another performer better fits the show they have planned, I would hope they’d be chosen over Blake just cause he’s good.

Comment by dude – August 10, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. He’s the most consistent, not the most talented. His voice is very dull and drone-like. He’s definitely the best actor of the bunch though, but as a singer he does not appeal to me at all. He couldn’t harmonize and personally I didn’t enjoy any of this Last Chance performances aside from the one he did with Nellie.

Comment by kavyn – August 10, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On wasn’t like Community, it WAS Community.

Comment by C (@gohumanbeings) – August 10, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …except it wasn’t funny or interesting or luring me back for another episode…

Comment by TV Gord – August 12, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to an interview on Lifetime with the actor who plays Owen, he is alive. He just acted really stupidly.

Comment by Ann – August 10, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #2 He’s alright, but he’s no Blaine Wilson.

Comment by Meh – August 10, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haven’t heard that name in too long! loved him…

Comment by flutiefan – August 10, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #5: for some reason, I can see McKayla on ‘Bunheads’ as Sasha’s nemesis.

Comment by Lorie – August 10, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! That’s a great idea! Sasha, in her new role as cheerleader, finds herself playing second fiddle to team captain McKayla. Love it!

Comment by Ace – August 10, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That ungrateful brat definitely does not deserve a television deal for being a bad sport.

Comment by dude – August 10, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She has said in interviews that she wasn’t ungrateful for the medal, she was just disappointed in herself for her performance.

Comment by Nicole – August 10, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes on Jake Dalton, Was sort of hoping for a Pam reveal at the end of the season finale.

Also, me thinks Spencers email was from A or it was never sent in or something like that, can see that coming in to play later on.

Comment by Martin – August 10, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enough with the Olympics crap already!!! Please let it all end soon!

Comment by Jrs – August 10, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since we already know that the USA Women’s Gymnasts loves TVD and TVD loves them back (http://youtu.be/nHbEc6sfAOU), I think Julie Plec needs to have the whole team in an episode this season. Maybe just have them in the background of a scene, sitting at a table in the Grill!

Comment by Catherine – August 10, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just got into Awkward. Hilarious and a very ADULT show. Is this aimed at teens because its so much about sex in high school. Maybe I’m just old, but jeez…I had no idea what was going on in high school like those kids, do.

Comment by LizA180 – August 10, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wet blanket??!?! I thought Skyler was RIVETING in this week’s Breaking Bad – her story is the one I’m most compelled by, she’s the one I’m rooting for the most. And this week’s episode lit a fire under what has been an admittedly slow-burning season so far.

She’s living in constant fear and terrorized by a despicable man who she hates. “Wet blanket”, pfft.

Comment by AW – August 10, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%. How anyone can justify Walt’s behavior or still be on his side at this point baffles me. Skyler is acting like all wives who love their children would in that situation.

Comment by Kat – August 10, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 11. Fantastic performance by Corey Reynolds. I, for one, am glad how they wrote that storyline.
    20. The ongoing phone saga reminded me of what NCIS does…drops little pieces along the way that come into play later on. The final scenes were heart wrenching. Love the show. :)

Comment by Kim R – August 10, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McKayla Maroney is a very pretty girl.

Comment by Velvet – August 10, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just too bad that she had such a sour attitude for getting the silver. She is the one who fell which lead to her not getting the gold.

Comment by CA – August 11, 2012 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sour attitude!? I saw disappointment.

If anyone deserves the sour attitude award, is Russian Komova. For all that the commentators kept harping that Mustafina was a real diva, it was Komova who had all the diva attitudes. I did see Mustafina brush off her coach’s attempt to console after a bad performance. But she did not SHOVE him like the commentators commented. If anything, she was not the only one to wave off coaches because they weren’t ready to be consoled.

Komova on the other hand cried endlessly when she (and the team) got ousted out of gold position. Hey, performance is performance. We always hear that gymnastics is a mental game. I wonder if her lack of self control was responsible for her performance issues.

Jordan on the other hand, rightfully earned her spot in the all around but lost it because of a rule that doesn’t even make sense. Countries are limited to five gymnasts now and all around takes 24. If a country happens to have several really good all around contenders, so what? They can’t d

Comment by megalion – August 11, 2012 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake Dalton is the most handsome USA gymnast and kinda on the pretty side. No further comment.

Comment by Velvet – August 10, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DDDiva: Initially, I thought something looked wrong when Owen showed up at Jane’s office. He was emotionless. I thought it was very possible he was a ghost. In the end, he accepted her proposal and I believe he even put the ring back on her finger. Now, I’m confused.

Comment by Velvet – August 10, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even though Owen and Jane seem happy together, I wish he would go away. The show always evolved around Jane/Deb and Grayson. Without that the show has a big, empty hole feeling.

Comment by Velvet – August 10, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of Fiona–has anyone noticed that her eyebrows have been funky since she’s been in prison? She needs to trim and shape them up already!

Comment by TJ – August 10, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHAHA! THANK YOU! I went back over previous episodes and compared them and she went in with normal eyebrows (botox included in this statement as normal, but at least her hair color and thin) then the next episode she had a noticeable change. Her eyebrows went from curved to almost straight ( byproduct of botox) they were thicker and about 3 shades darker. Her forehead moved significantly less as well. So for all of her hard time in prison, Fiona came out with a lot of expensive work done on her face.
      Trimming and shaping won’t help much because it is almost like the new shape is covering the fact that her forehead doesn’t emote anymore.

Comment by Sarah – August 10, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. It looks distractingly bad.

Comment by CJ – August 10, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That looks like the 160 gb iPod classic that’s out right now. Just because it doesn’t have a touch screen doesn’t mean it’s outdated :)

Comment by Kristina Hammock (@kristinahammock) – August 10, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fiona’s outfit on Burn Notice is very ugly. But like almost anything else she wears, it is not unflattering.

Comment by Carm – August 10, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought while watching the episode. The outfit was, indeed, hideous, but she still looked pretty hot.

Comment by Castle Lover – August 10, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, TVLINE. You guys are usually my favorite TV bloggers/critics, but that Skyler White “wet blanket” quote was the worst and you guys should feel bad. Yeah, because rooting for a meth making psych is the way to go…. um.

Comment by Gaby – August 10, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 10) My father and I thought the exact same thing during the entire episode.

Comment by MEL31602 – August 10, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they killed Jerry. Srsly messed up. Such a great character on an awesome show. He will be missed.

Comment by wrstlgirl – August 10, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am devastated. Naom Jenkins is fantastic and I wish hey had chosen to keep his character around. This week had me in tears.

Comment by Jessie – August 10, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 7) Haven’t we all learned not to rush Breaking Bad?? I would not underestimate Jesse Plemons’ importance this season, and I am content to wait around until his moment comes.

16) I cannot stand Fiona, not matter how beautiful or hideous her outfit.

Comment by CJ – August 10, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6. oh, I hate those segments.

9. That was funny, but once was enough.

15. I liked Go On, but I didn’t see much resemblance to Community.

Comment by nick1372 – August 10, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McKayla Maroney is not impressed.

Comment by Bob Loblaw – August 10, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake Dalton is gorgeous and would watch him or Mckayla on ANY TV show..

AWKWARD is so great!..the wedding was hilarious and can’t wait for the conclusion next week..poor Jake :(

Comment by Jared – August 10, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW…Skyler a “wet blanket”? Are we watching the same show?

Comment by jonne – August 10, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Wasn’t it odd how no one aside from Jane talked to him or acknowledged his presence at the firm?”
    It was! I was wondering abou that, too, bude he always touched something, so…

Comment by P. S. Shawn (@serialykinemask) – August 10, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No on Jake Dalton. His eyes… they just make me think of Lance Bass, and I can’t get past that :(

Comment by Emily – August 10, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 10- Yes, Owen is RIP. Luke should warn Jane, you would think?

Comment by nitemar – August 10, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2. jake dalton??? NO. SAM MIKULIK is where the hotness is at.
    4. YES!
    5. Mckaylaisnotimpresseddottumblrdotcom

Comment by cjeffery7 – August 10, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake Dalton and Sam Mikulak are both yummy.

Comment by flutiefan – August 10, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why “Go On” is being compared to “Community”. That never once crossed my mind. However I did think it was like “Dear John” but then again the TV audience the networks care about are two young to remember that show. I look forward to “Go On”, nice to see Matthew Perry do well again.

Comment by Peggy – August 10, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow…Skyler, a “wet blanket”? Does “Team TVLine” hate women or something?

Comment by Kat – August 10, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I posted a rather long comment telling you (tvline) why Skyler White is the best thing about Breaking Bad and that you should feel ashamed for calling her a “Wet Blanket” but it didn’t appear on the comments page.. censorship? really?

Comment by Dan – August 10, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 12. The only thing I dislike about the show is too much Emily Gilmore. Do I think Kelly Bishop is funny, yes, but only with moderation. Having to watch her for most of the episodes just gets tiresome. Give us more bunheads and less old people complaining about stuff!

Comment by Eli – August 10, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake is hot but I thought Danell Leyva was the hottest. :-)

Comment by Abby – August 10, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he is the hottest, but alot of people go for white first, their loss.

Comment by Ty – August 11, 2012 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s funny that you are implying racism in other people, you’re the one making this a racial issue here. You’ve no way to know what governs a person’s preference. Don’t presume that you do.

Comment by megalion – August 11, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • there is nothing racist about peoples attractions and what they prefer, but many people do have a preference for lighter skin, that’s a fact.

Comment by Ty – August 12, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um… That model isn’t dated if you have a ginormous music selection like I do where it won’t fit on an iPod touch so you buy the iPod classic!

Comment by Ryan – August 10, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #21. Yes, please. Sigh.

Comment by Brock – August 10, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re #1, YES, most notably the commentators leading up to McKayla’s vault in the event final. I was listening to them and thinking that they’re speaking as though she’s already won. And shut the hell up before you jinx her. And she was jinxed!

Re #2, American boys were hot but the hottest was Marcel Nguyen of Germany.

Comment by megalion – August 11, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are we just forgetting Danell Lyeva?! I think he’s the most gorgeous gymnast we have. That Sam guy looks weird and the other has gorgeous eyes but aside from that he’s pretty generic.

Comment by Stephone – August 11, 2012 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! About Owen on DDD, I was thinking the exact same thing! But I assumed they would have revealed at the episodes end if that were the case but maybe they are saving it for the season finale…..

Comment by DeeKayTee – August 11, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #2–OK, I’m seriously dating myself here but Mitch Gaylord. He was so hot they gave him his own movie about gymnastics! I think I need to find myself a copy of American Anthem :)

Comment by Deena – August 12, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking bad is the best show on tv!! It always starts off slow but then before u know it, everything takes off

Comment by crystal – August 12, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I heard it starts to take off in tonight’s ep!!

Comment by crystal – August 12, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post