American Idol Scoop: Nick Jonas as Season 12 Judge? 'The Rumors Are True'

There soon may be another important Nick in Mariah Carey’s life: A tweet from singer and actor Nick Jonas Saturday confirmed that he’s in the running to fill one of American Idol’s open judge slots for Season 12.

“The rumors are true,” he tweeted. “I am being considered to be a judge on American Idol, and it would be a dream come true if it happens.”

RELATEDAmerican Idol: 14 Dream Candidates to Replace Steven, J.Lo and Randy as Judges

The 19-year-old singer/songwriter got his TV start when he and brothers Kevin and Joe were cast in the Disney Channel’s Jonas. His gigs since the show wrapped in 2010 have centered on music, too; they include playing Smash’s Lyle West and performing in Les Miserables’ televised 25th anniversary concert as Marius. He also recently finished a four-month run as the lead in the Broadway revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Joe, meanwhile, is a mentor on The CW’s The Next: Fame is at Your Doorstep, another music competition. Kevin will soon premiere in Married to Jonas, an E! reality show about his new marriage to Danielle Deleasa.

RELATED | It’s Official: Mariah Carey Signs as American Idol Judge for Season 12 — Is She a Good Choice?

Idol’Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler both announced their exits in July, and in their wake, Fox confirmed that the divalicious Carey had accepted its offer to be a Season 12 judge. Randy Jackson, Carey’s co-manager and the last remaining original Idol judge, is rumored to be stepping down to a mentor position with the show next season – meaning that if Jonas does get the call, the network still may have one empty chair left to fill. Former Idol Adam Lambert and The Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie have come up as possibilities.

What do you think about Nick Jonas joining Idol? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (69)

• Joe Jonas has great management is all I can think. His story line on Smash was random and unbelievable. And he is not Broadway singer. I respect his work ethic. But these shows are trying to please the “young demographic” and he is apparently willing to do anything. Falling teen star and he holds zero interest for me in any way.

Comment by Slayer (@buffy522) – August 5, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is about Nick. Why are you talking about Joe? In any case, IMO he’d be a ridiculous choice. The JoBro fans have grown up and moved on, they’re not going to watch Idol for Nick. And he’s still wet behind the ears and lacks the experience to judge young talent or the clout to make him credible. The whole judge thing is minor, anyway. Limit the voting and they will regain viewers.

Comment by Templar – August 5, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is no different than Demi Lovato joining X-Factor…she’s linked to the Jonas Brothers and I believe she’s only 19….another “wet behind the ears” choice for a judge.

Comment by gregb – August 5, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wasnt a fan of Demi joining XF and still dont…but at least she has current hits on the radio and has tons of tween girl fans….Jonas was popular about 3-4 years ago. Hes not currently a popular act and I dont think that tween girl frenzy is still there at those levels. Im not a 12 year old but they like Demi and view her as a role model. Her rehab and stuff also has made her a tabloid headline which XF always loves

Comment by Steve – August 5, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh.

Comment by Marcie – August 5, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mehh…. Still hoping Adam Lambert gets it. Would be awesome if Randy Jackson ‘steps down’ (though I would have preferred if he was gone for good)

Comment by Karen – August 5, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree about Randy. Yo dawg, don’t just step down…step out …da door.

Comment by TheBeach – August 5, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get the reasoning behind this but I don’t think it would work, if they want somebody to set Tumblr alight they should go for a member of One Direction. They’re lot more current, their personalities are more ‘dynamic’ than the JoBros and they’ve been through the talent show process before. Not that any of them have the time to do it.

Anyway why am I still talking about this? MIRANDA + ADAM LAMBERT!

Comment by Liam Tait – August 5, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since Simon discovered them, I doubt they’d do AI.

Comment by Eve – August 5, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too young! It’s insulting to be judged by someone younger than you.

Comment by Mark – August 5, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Judging by the last few seasons, a majority of the singers in the top 12 will be in the 15-19 age range anyways…… When the age limit on Idol should be 18 to be honest

Comment by Gabe – August 5, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhhh… what? It’s insulting to be judged by someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Nick Jonas is actually talented, regardless of his age – look up his solo album and Broadway runs.

Comment by Joan – August 5, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s plenty of talented people out there who are of a respectable age.

Comment by Mark – August 5, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think anyone older WANTS to be on the show!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 5, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and yet, demi lovato is on xfactor, still don’t get that casting….

Comment by Sha – August 5, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No great surprise from a production that would rather have an unprepared 15 year old than a talented and travelled 30 year old compete.

Nick Jonas is too young and is not far removed by being invented by Disney. Adam Lambert is a far wiser choice.

Comment by John Berggren – August 5, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how do you know if he is unprepared, he has been in the actual show business side. You are discriminated just because he is young. I don’t know if he will be any good, but to be truthful, he might actually have an advantage because he knows what the younger kids listen to. he can relate more than Adam,Mariah or some older singer. If AI is trying for the younger demo, he might help.

Comment by Mary – August 5, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe he turns 20 next month. I agree with you though.

Comment by Sha – August 5, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far I have zero interest in returning my viewership to American Idol. I dislike both Mariah and The Jonas brothers. Unless they pick someone less “poppy” to be a judge a la Adam Lambert or a country music star I say forget it. A majority chunk of Idol’s audience is country and I get that the show wants to attract more urban audiences but it will be for naught if they lose their country audiences.

Comment by Ally – August 5, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know that Adam Lambert is “poppy” right? He is basically as pop as you can get. Just saying.

Comment by Erin – August 6, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I think this is the season that the Voice takes over as king of the Singing Comp Ratings….unless the X factor really puts on a better show then last year. How many think that Simon is loving this turmoil on Idol after all the grief hes got?

Comment by Joshua – August 5, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not going to happen. The voice is all about the judges, name one winner that has a hit. At least X factor has some success, even though small.

Comment by Mary – August 5, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO they need to raise the contestant age limit up to 18, and not have any judges younger than 30. The ability to judge comes with maturity and life experience. Most important, though, is the need to limit the voting to 5 or 10 per device. The futility of competing with power voters is what’s killing the ratings.

Comment by Templar – August 5, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to everything you said.

Comment by TheBeach – August 5, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems like a horrible idea. Why can’t we have someone who isn’t a celebrity who will not be afraid to actually judge the contestants so that they can learn & become better singers instead of plateauing from the auditions. If they are set on celebs they could at least pick someone with experience & talent. On a different note, I would be super excited to see Randy step down from his judging post & even more so if he left all together.

Comment by Raven_Moon – August 5, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yuck! I want someone who knows what they’re talking about. Some real experience, either as a performer (although that’s covered pretty well by Mariah) or in the business side of the recording industry. This choice won’t do a lot to convince me to watch again.

Comment by Bobbi – August 5, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I think he may be too young for the show remember he is quite experienced: Broadway, television, and 4(?) albums.

Comment by Mick – August 5, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boring choice. Same with Mariah Carey. I thought Idol wanted to compete with The Voice. I watch The Voice just for the judges and I have no interest in these two choices.

Comment by sara – August 5, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is true, my days on Idol will be done. Ill go to XF and maybe even God Forbid the Voice (which I wish would have gone for a different set of 4 coaches in the Spring – NBC might kill its golden goose)…Jonas was popular years ago – not now. Do tweens really go crazy over him – He was yesterdays Bieber. I think it would be a terrible choice- Him vs Mariah…Cmon…The only good thing is he would be cheap – but Id even prefer the Lambert rumors over this. Can u imagine, Mariah, Brad Paisly and the Jonas boy

Comment by Steve – August 5, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been a fan of Nick for years now and I think he’s had a wide range of experience in the musical world. However, I’m not sure about this move.
    American Idol seems to have outrun it’s course and should let the wide range of newer singing shows take over.

Comment by Allison P – August 5, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too young to be taken seriously. Maybe Joe Jonas would be more believable.

Comment by Jon – August 5, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joe is that you?
      I’m sorry but none of the Jonas Bros would be taken seriously. Ever.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 5, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could see him being intimidated by Mariah and some other big celeb (if they can get one).

Comment by TheBeach – August 5, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Despite his age, Nick’s credentials prove he is very experienced in the music world. Producers who’ve worked with him have said that he’s wise beyond his years. And, contrary to popular belief, he’s a talented musician, and his music has grown a great deal since his time writing with his brothers. I don’t know how well he would fair on Idol, but I’d definitely be interested to see him judge. I think he could offer some refreshing insight, and since the contestants seem to be younger and younger each year, Nick may be able to relate to them more so than Mariah.
    However, I’m still pulling for Adam to be added to the panel. That would be the best move for Idol.

Comment by Finch – August 5, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody is good as long as they keep that freak Adam Lambert out of the judge’s chairs!

Comment by Beth Ann – August 5, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t stand Adam Lambert, but calling him a freak is completely uncalled for.

Comment by tripoli – August 5, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally called for, and it has nothing to do with his sexuality, it has to do with his wearing makeup, nail polish, strutting around stage bare foot and frankly, not being very successful in his singing endeavors.

Comment by Beth Ann – August 5, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ol you know your ’freak’ list only shows that it IS about his sexuality right? bare feet? Nail polish? OMG won\’t somebody think of the children!!!1!!!!111!!!1

and besides, adam’s ’freak’ side is something the show seriously needs. Its the safe conservative wgwg crap that is killing the show in the first place.

they NEED somebody a little more alternative. Adam is alternative, but he is also charming, intelligent, charismatic, honest, experienced, unique and a highly gifted vocalist and performer.

Adam is absolutely the best choice for the judges spot. will idol have the balls to make that choice? probably not.

Comment by lol please – August 5, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this happens I will watch zero seconds of the next season of American Idol

Comment by wonderwaage – August 5, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they insist on American Idol still. The show’s been sinking for years now, the competition’s been lame, the participants haven’t been selling nearly as much as the first ones (like Kelly and Carrie), even the ones that were successful afterwards. Why bother?

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 5, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yeah — like this kid’s LONG career leads credence to his critique
    JOKE
    end the show already!

Comment by PutAforkINit – August 5, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but he’s like 12.

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 5, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • quoting chris rock ”nick jonas”paula abdul ” juding singers!!!
    nick jonas juding a singer
    it’s like christofer revee ”RIP ” to judge a dance contest

AIN’T right

Comment by peter – August 5, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh Nick Jonas — how is he connected to American Idol — Adam Lambert is the ONLY logical choice.

Comment by patriciajames – August 5, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He can’t be any worse than the other judges have been. I fine with it as long as he never again attempts to sing a Les Miserables song.

Comment by Jane – August 5, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I don’t really know him except when he had a bit on Smash but anything is better then what we have right now. If all three judges don’t stand up for each constant like there the next second coming, Im all right with it.

Comment by Rachel – August 5, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Idol is smart, they’d get a country judge. X-Factor isn’t getting in the way of their ratings, The Voice is. Nick Jonas doesn’t seem like he’d be good with giving any advice, why not let ADULTS run the judging table? I’m crossing my fingers for Brad Paisley.

Comment by Wesley – August 5, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH! Not watching. nothing against him but guess he’ll pull a totally different viewership. i’m rooting for adam. now he’ll bring color to the show!!! i’d rather see fergie & adam!!!

Comment by cody – August 5, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, no thank you. Little ugly Jonas child on my tv every week does me no good. American Idol is a joke now.

Comment by Angela – August 5, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick definitely has the chops to do this job. He’s been in the music business since he was 7 years old. He’s worked as a performer and writer/producer in all sorts of genres…rock, pop, Broadway, orchestral scores,music for commercials, etc. He’s performed Motown at the White House and was hand selected (along with his brothers) by Sir Paul McCartney himself to perform at the White House when McCartney was honored with the Gershwin Prize.

He’s sold 20 million albums worldwide, performed in sold out world tours, been nominated for a Grammy, done theater both in New York and London. He’s had the kind of career may of the Idol hopefuls would love to have. Which makes him qualified in my mind and someone who would keep me watching the show every week, which I have not done since the first season.

Comment by Guest – August 5, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks mom

Comment by forwarddad – August 5, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nay! Nay! Nay!!!

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 5, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think American Idol blows as it is. To be honest i think Nick Jonas is a great pick for a judge him and mariah bith because Nick is very talented. He seemes a better choice than Adam Lambert to be honest. And about casting someone as ridicuously popular as one direction right now.. thats a terrible idea. You would have a bunch of teeny boppers watching just to see how cute whoever they pick looks or something. That and they dont have nearly as much experience as the JoBro. This show is supposed to be about talent. They need actual talented people judging. And Nick Jinas is very talented if you look into all the stuff he has accomplished at such a young age. And his age doesnt matter in the slightest.

Comment by Gina – August 5, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there is no measure under the sun where Nick Jonas is a better choice than Adam Lambert. Being picked for a Disney show when you were 10 does not = talent. He got lucky

Comment by lol please – August 5, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ….actually he started on Broadway well before the Disney thing. So I hardly think it was about getting lucky.

Comment by Marisa – August 5, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have one thing to say……WTF??

Comment by A – August 5, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Nick Jonas would be a perfect choice. Has anyone done their research here before saying he “has no experience?” he has experience as a singer, songwriter and producer. He has experience of what it’s like to be rejected and to not give up. He has experience of the best way to deal with this industry and is wise beyond his years! He not only has experience on stage, but backstage and on a broadway stage too. He knows what he is talking about!

Comment by Guest – August 6, 2012 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin is the one married to  Danielle Deleasa not Nick.

Comment by chitra – August 6, 2012 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sara – August 6, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 5 Broadway shows, Millions of albums sold yes I think he’s enough experience. He’s very smart and well spoken. People don’t want to give him a chance only because they think he’s a disney star. He started working at 7 so he has a lot to say about the music business.

And Is seriously don’t get why some people want Adam Lambert.

Comment by sara – August 6, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing against Nick Jonas and all that he has done in his career, I just don’t think it would be the right move for Idol. For years they have been trying to shake the image that only cute guys with guitars can win, and I think that putting one on the panel won’t help that. I really like the idea of bringing in a former Idol to judge because they would have a very unique perspective to share with the contestants that other judges won’t have because they have been where the contestants are. I think it would also be beneficial to have someone with a solid music theory background. I loved Ben Folds as a judge on the Sing-Off because it was clear that he knew his stuff and he wasn’t basing his comments on just emotions. It’s been something that they have been missing since Simon left.

Comment by Em – August 6, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer someone else, but if he replaces Randy I am all for it.

Comment by new judges – August 6, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a train wreck this show is. Please America, stop watching this crap. So tired of these reality singing shows taking up space on a networks line up.

Comment by daviduter – August 6, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Comment by Tara J. – August 6, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I worry that Nick would be too concerned with coming across as likeable, and therefore would not make the kind of critical comments AI needs from its judges. Adam Lambert would be a better choice–he’s got a much stronger voice, isn’t afraid to speak his mind or say something controversial, and he can truly understand what the contestants are going through and what they need to do to succeed.

Comment by Amanda – August 6, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really should get a country singer judge since a large amount of their contestants and even winners are country bound.

Comment by A – August 6, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Nick is very talented and would be great. Also, he and Mariah are such opposites. It might be fun to watch them try to get along.

Comment by Danielle – August 7, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And today we learn that Randy has finally retired from the judges’ panel. Hallelujah.

Comment by Name That Tune – August 31, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you should think about the experience,not the age. Some people gain maturity at 12, while others at 20. Maturity and experience doesn’t always come with age.

Comment by Someone – October 6, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post