What to Watch Sunday: New True Blood Flows, the Mad Men Say Goodbye and More

On TV this Sunday: Neil Patrick Harris scores another Tony gig, True Blood fans give fangs for a new season, it’s time to say goodbye to those Mad Men, Nurse Jackie rides to the rescue and more. All told, we’ve singled out nine programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Tony Awards (CBS) | Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) once again hosts, while the performances will include bits from Book of Mormon (opening the show), Newsies, Once, Evita, Follies, Jesus Christ Superstar and Leap of Faith.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Declares True Blood Season 5 ‘The Year of [Spoiler]!’

9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Season premiere: Sookie and Lafayette struggle with the aftermath of Tara’s shooting; Bill and Eric are visited by the Vampire Authority, one of whom is a woman from Eric’s past; Alcide’s six werewolf pack comes after Sam; Jason is visited by the recently turned Rev. Newlin; Terry’s PTSD is reignited by Patrick Devins, an Iraq War buddy; and Alcide turns up at Sookie’s to warn her about the recently resurfaced Russell Edgington. Get loads more scoop in this episode of Spoiler Alert!:

9 pm The Killing (AMC) |
In Part 1 of the season finale, Linden and Holder have the killer within reach, the Richmond campaign prepares for Election Day and the Larsen family attempts to regain a sense of normalcy. (I stand by the show and have really enjoyed the past few weeks, but that synopsis describes every one of the preceding 24 episodes.)

9 pm The Glades (A&E) | When a synchronized swimmer in an elaborate mermaid costume washes ashore dead, the clues point to a hip hop mogul; Jim realizes the job best job opportunity for Callie is in Atlanta.

9 pm Nurse Jackie (Showtime) | After Cruz suffers a pulmonary episode, Jackie seizes control of the overcrowded ER and runs it her way.

RELATED | Is Mad Men‘s Peggy Gone for Good?

10 pm Mad Men (AMC) | Season 5 finale (yes, already), last official teasers: Opportunity is in the air for everyone! Pete meets a stranger on the train!

10 pm Our America With Lisa Ling (OWN) | A piece on kiddie pageants asks: “Who are these pint-sized princesses? And whose dreams are they really fulfilling?” Oh, do not get me started.

10 pm Longmire (A&E) | When an exotic dancer shows up dead on Longmire’s turf, it becomes evident that her Amish-like roots played a role in the murder; Cady (Cassidy Freeman) develops an unexpected relationship.

10 pm Veep (HBO) | Season 1 finale (Yep, already renewed): When a gubernatorial candidate decides that Selina’s endorsement would do him more harm than good, Mike and Amy decide to play up Selina’s tears — only to open up a huge floodgate.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: Lena Dunham Defies Convention and Ditches Inhibitions In HBO’s Girls

1. tvaddict says:

Lol at The Killing description and cannot wait for True Blood!

2. Nicolas Mancuso says:

You should mention that this week’s ‘Veep’ is also the season finale.

Thanks for the amazing coverage!

3. Megan says:

lol at the blurb about Mad Men. Does matthew weiner really not send out screeners? the previews are always so lame. You can’t get a thing out of them.

• Sparky says:

I kind of like that they don’t tell too much. It means that my reaction is real and untainted when I watch the show. I didn’t know about Peggy or Lane’s fate in the show and it made watching those episodes better than ever.

I wonder who Pete meets on the train – Alexis Bledel’s character??? Who knew Rory Gilmore was hiding those boobs!!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree, the less spoilers I have with Mad Men, the better. I love having absolutely no idea what’s coming. I kind of wish other shows like Walking Dead kept a better rein on their spoilers like Mad Men and Homeland do. But I still love that TVLine takes the actual Mad Men episode descriptions and just add an exclamation point to all the sentences to make it sound super exciting. It’s a clever, funny thing to make fun of them for giving so little information like that, which again, I am cool with Mad Men doing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Let’s all remember, the week Peggy quit, the teaser was “Peggy contemplates a trip.”

• Lili says:

Can Peggy be the stranger that Don meets on the train?
            Remember the “Don’t be a stranger” line???

• Simon Jester says:

I *love* the fact that the promos are so inscrutable. The MAD MEN trailers do exactly what a good teaser should do — whet your appetite for more, without revealing a thing. Same with the episode descriptions. Matt Weiner’s a genius.

4. Kate says:

True Blood!!! I need some Eric, Bill, Alcide, and Jason in my life again :)

5. nitemar says:

I just want to know who Rosie Larsen’s killer is, and get over with this crappy written show, but saved by the good acting. :(

6. bella says:

I’ll be watching “Continuum”, “The Killing”, and “True Blood”. Can’t wait for the end of The Killing, the Danish original was great too, maybe better.

7. Tran says:

The Killing and the season finale of Mad Men. RIP Lane Pryce :-(

8. o says:

Who decided to style Lafayette’s hair like that? It is awful.

9. Teag says:

Mad Men. I wish Game of Thrones was another.

10. Jay says:

that picture of the vampire looks so stupid and cartoony

11. ida says:

When is continuum?

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m going to miss Mad Men. They usually end the seasons on a high note, I wonder if they’ll continue that tomorrow. I wish I didn’t have to wait a whole month for Breaking Bad to return. This next month of Sundays is gonna suck. It will be too hot to be outdoors, and and there won’t be anything fun on television until that Breaking Bad premiere date comes.

13. Russ says:

True Blood True Blood True Blood! Finally can’t wait to see if Tara is dead dead or vampire dead.

14. Just Wondering says:

What about drop dead diva or client list are they new?

15. bella says:

@ida: Continuum airs in Canada @9 pm est on “showcase”.

16. Juliab. says:

Longmire for me tonight.

17. mac says:

Nothing against Tara but stretching out a characters journey like that can go wrong…very very wrong.

18. Simon Jester says:

Recording the Tonys, but watching THE KILLING, MAD MEN, and TRUE BLOOD.

19. kirads09 says:

Watch: The Glades, Longmire DVR: Food Network Star and Mythbusters.

20. A.J. says:

So excited and yet sad for Mad Men’s finale. Went by way too quickly! But I’m glad True Blood is back so that Eric Northman can halfway fill the void Don Draper will be leaving! And Breaking Bad is just around the corner, so there’s that. But MM will truly be missed. I hope this finale is one for the ages.

21. Amy says:

I also cannot stand Tara on True Blood but if she gets turned, especially if it’s by Pam or Jessica, I could have a change of heart. Can u imagine Tara having to abide by the whole “as your maker I command you to …” ? ha! Pam and Tara hate each orher which could make for the vampire odd couple

• Larissa says:

I’m really hoping for Tara to be turned by the magnificent Pam. It would really put a new spin on her character. :)

22. Larissa says:

LMAO & agree 100%!!! –> (I stand by the show and have really enjoyed the past few weeks, but that synopsis describes every one of the preceding 24 episodes.)

I’m watching The Tony’s, TRUE BLOOD & NURSE JACKIE.
    Will DVR THE KILLING, LONGMIRE & SISTER WIVES.

23. Brandy says:

Drop Dead Diva, Client List

• icywinter2 says:

How can you even stand watching Drop dead diva with that idiot Kim K in it. She not one bit talented.

24. luvmygreys says:

I agree the Killing has been slow but I love the actors. I can’t wait for them to solve Rosie’s murder, and I am hoping for season 3 with a new case. Mayor Adams would be good just think of all the suspects.

25. Lo says:

Matt while I appreciate and share your praise and loyalty to The Killing, can you or someone else at TvLine show it tonight and next week? More than a few weeks have gone by now and there have always been recaps of Game of Thrones and Mad Men, but nothing on The Killing. Now that True Blood is on, I’m really hoping you guys don’t put it on the back burner again, considering it’s the last 2 eps.

Just to be clear though, I’m a fan of GoT, Mad Men and True Blood, I just feel like all the critics and entertainment sites have intentionally snubbed The Killing this year because of their hold-out on the killer’s reveal.

26. Meri says:

Can not wait for the Borgias. What a great show with Jeremy Irons and Françios Arnaud!!

27. theresa says:

Watching The Killing, DVR True Blood (watching right after The Killing) & watching Nurse Jackie and Girls on demand.