Adam Baldwin Previews His Castle Visit (Firefly Shout-Outs Included), Reflects on Chuck Finale

Rick Castle is about to get Slaughtered.

In this Monday’s episode of Castle (ABC, 10/9c), Nathan Fillion’s novelist will dive head first – for better or for worse – into a storyline with a rough, tough and gruff NYPD detective named Ethan Slaughter and played by Adam Baldwin.

And while the episode obviously offers the geeky thrill of a reunion between the onetime stars of Firefly (where Fillion played Capt. Mal Reynolds to Baldwin’s Jayne Cobb), it will also serve a larger purpose, as the ABC hit closes in on its “very emotional” Season 4 finale (airing May 7).

Your 2012 Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 52 of this Season’s Big Finishes!

Still processing the discovery that Kate remembers her shooting and the aftermath, “Castle is trying to figure out how he feels about Beckett,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe tells TVLine. “He feels likes he’s a bit uninspired by her because of all this stuff that’s going on, but he hasn’t articulated that yet. So when he sees this larger-than-life cop figure on the news, he thinks, ‘Maybe I just need a new muse?’”

And make no mistake, Slaughter as a decidedly different muse will amuse. “He takes Castle on quite the ride,” says Marlowe. “Maybe it’s the most exciting case of his life, or maybe it’s, ‘The grass is always greener.’ That’s the journey he goes on.”

Baldwin tells us that Slaughter’s first assessment of Castle, when the author seeks to shadow him, is, “He’s a bit not up-to-snuff. He’s a bit soft. But he likes him, so he’s going to give him a shot.” And hopefully in doing so put some calluses on this writer’s hands. “He wants to mold him into a better law-fighting man.”

And does Castle indeed emerge from the experience a changed man? “He gets to be in the line of fire,” Baldwin previews. “And that’ll change anybody, getting shot at!”

Baldwin also echoes that which Fillion teased at PaleyFest, that in dipping his toe into Slaughter’s wilder world, “Parts of [Rick's] face will be rearranged.” After chuckling some, Baldwin affirmed, “Yeah, you can expect to see him get a little roughed up.”

But along the way, Baldwin stresses, he and Fillion were sure to weave in some comedic moments between two old friends. “To have that natural chemistry that we had from eight years ago, to look at Nathan’s face and ‘get’ exactly what he’s thinking, was great,” he says.

Castle Exclusive: [Spoiler] Is Back for the Season Finale — But Why?

The reunion was also certainly overdue. “Fans have been prodding us to share some scenes,” Baldwin says, be it on Castle or the since-expired Chuck. (During his run on the NBC spy comedy, Baldwin only enjoyed Firefly alum Summer Glau as a guest star.) “Anytime I get to work with anyone from that universe is a ‘resurrection,’ if you will,” he enthuses.

To date, Castle has planted scarce Easter eggs for Fillion’s Firefly faithful, including cameos by a “catalyzer” as well as Mal’s brown coat itself. In this week’s episode, Baldwin says to keep an eye and/or ear open for “subtle” nods to the sci-fi series, “but nothing overt.” (As Marlowe himself explains, “Just having Adam and Nathan on screen together is a lot!”

Turning from Firefly-class spaceships to relationships, can Castle viewers expect Slaughter to sense that his new “partner” has feelings for Beckett? And if so, does he offer any guidance? Says Baldwin with a chuckle, “He will definitely have a few words of advice, in his own colorful way.”

Castle Freak Peek Photos: When Zombies Attack!

Before bidding Baldwin adieu – and on the topic of TV romances – I asked if he believed that Chuck‘s John Casey was now enjoying some badass version of “happily ever after” with Gertrude Verbanski (played by The Matrix‘s Carrie-Ann Moss), as teed up in the series finale. “Oh, you bet,” he theorized. Because although Baldwin had lobbied toward the end for Casey to “go out in a blaze of glory” and die a hero’s death (“I couldn’t sell them on that,” he half-grumbles), “I liked that Casey ended up going to be with Verbanski, because she is hot.”

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I fully admit to supporting a Detective Slaughter spin off, anything to keep Adam Baldwin on my tv screen.

2. Nick says:

So rude sexual comments from slaughter are to be expected and we’ll be getting some minor firefly references. If we get some caskett movement we’ll be on the right track.

Still hoping for a Chuck movie. come on Chcuk VS the Big Screen. there are so many cute puns your could have a screen door, a smokescreen, a movie, it’s a very clever title.

3. leigh says:

Can’t wait.

4. Ari says:

Adam Baldwin looks about 5 years younger in those pictures. Clearly Chuck ending has done him well. He looks good! I don’t watch Castle but maybe I’ll tune in for an Adam Baldwin sighting!

5. Mike says:

The casting I would love to see: Morena Baccarin as a NYC councilwoman determined to get “whores” off the street — and at the end it’s revealed Jewel Staite — a prostitute — is her lover.

• Jason C says:

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

• SW says:

So who gets to play the murder victim? Retired Detective Ron Harris? ;-)

• Roxy says:

I can imagine Castle’s face LOL

• raggo says:

The best pitch I’ve heard was Nathan’s idea about a murder on a sci-fi show. The actor who played captain of a space ship is murdered, and he was a total dick so everyone in the cast is suspect. He wanted to bring everybody from Firefly for this. It would’ve been brilliant, so frickin meta!

• James says:

They could so do this on Castle though. Replace the space ship with a normal sailing on water boat, call it the SS Serenity and have all the firefly cast as the crew, with a different captain who’s dead and Castle and Beckett could have one of the firefly cast as the murderer.

• Mat says:

The murdered captain has to be named Murdoch after the guy that canned Firefly.

• raggo says:

The murderer would have to be Alan Tudyk’s character. They have this mock hate thing going with Fillion despite (or due to) being best buddies. Just imagine Tudyk’s hapless loser tearfully confessing that he couldn’t bear all that mocking and posturing anymore and had to strangle/poison/electrocute that douchebag.. And Nathan nodding empathetically.. Oh, the funnies!..

• I heard that! I was like OH MY GOD SOMEONE LISTEN TO THIS MAN.
        But now they’ve done this they said they won’t do that :(

6. Chance says:

Did Adam reveal his bigoted views?

• loopychew says:

On Twitter, all the time.

Don’t care for the man, but I love the characters he plays and the way he embraces them wholeheartedly.

• Annie says:

Yeah, that was a real disappointment to me, the day I found his Twitter stream. Very unfortunate and a real letdown, ’cause he *seems* like such an awesome dude. Then again, as loopychew noted, it doesn’t mean the man can’t act or isn’t a crap-ton of fun to watch on the screen.

• Agreed – I actually stopped following him, because it was affecting how I viewed his acting. Silly, I know, but I’d rather be blissfully ignorant in this case. It’s funny too, because I got to attend a party he was attending at a con last year, and he’s completely different in person than he is on Twitter.

• Kathy A says:

I loved him as an actor until the day I read an interview in which he praised Rush Limbaugh — and reading his Twitter feed (which is like driving past a car wreck you can’t look away from) just turns my stomach. It’s a damned shame, because he’s not only a talented actor, he’s such eye candy.

• Oh God. I refuse to follow him, it was so awful. And – this is an actor on my very very favourite show, so that is saying a lot.

I’m very good at separating people from their characters/talent though, so still v exciting :)

• kmm says:

Oh jeez! He’s a “bigot” because he has an opinion, but its ok for other actors to shove their liberal agendas down your throat in all forms of media, spare me. If independents were as easily offended and judgmental as liberals, they would have to boycott all forms of media and entertainment.

• Gizmo says:

Yep, he had the nerve to be a conservative leaning person in Hollywood, who believes in a religion to boot. I don’t agree with all of his opinions, but having opinions that differ from what the popular media decide are the “correct” ones does not automatically make one a racist or a bigot.

And on a personal note, until a Liberal Hollywood personality gives away all of their earnings to charity and lives on a 50K/yr salary in LA or NYC, I see no reason to take their views on fiscal policy seriously. Put your money where you’re mouths are before you lecture me on how I should give up all of mine!

• KMM, you’re right – he shouldn’t be labeled a bigot for his views, no more than liberals should be pejoratively labeled for their views. I will admit that I disagree with a lot of what he posted in his Twitter feed, but that’s me and my opinion, hence my choice to stop following him. However, the biggest reason I stopped following him was the fact he was posting so much that it was flooding my Twitter feed! :)

• loopychew says:

It’s not so much his opinion as the obnoxious way he broadcasts it. Granted, he does it with the same kind of brusqueness I like from the characters he plays, but it’s a bit overwhelming on my feed 24/7.

Like I said, I love watching the man on my screen, the way I enjoy anybody on screen. Doesn’t mean I need to like him as a person to appreciate him.

7. jess says:

i’ve dropped castle from my watch line-up this season (only catching an episode here and there), but i’m so excited about this!!! can’t wait!

8. Ali says:

Yay, I’m so glad to see Adam. I’ve been parched since “Chuck” ended. I admit to not watching “Castle,” but you bet I’ll be watching tomorrow night. Hopefully the show will stick with me. I cannot wait for Adam to get a new gig as SOON as possible. TV is kind of lackluster without seeing him each week. I wish him the best and am so happy to see he and Nathan on screen together. Also, love him for being true to his conservative values in Hollywood without being a bigot. He is a good man!

9. MelindaB says:

If the word “shiny” isn’t uttered, I will be a little disappointed. I’ve been looking forward to this episode ever since I heard that Adam was going to be on the show.

10. June says:

Guys iam looking forward to see Adam Baldwin on the show Monday night, I just love the Baldwin brothers they are great !

11. Carly says:

I would LOVE for Adam to wear a certain orange beanie =)

12. Sue says:

I am overly excited about this. Can’t wait.

13. Carolyn says:

If I don’t hear a “Vera” thrown in somewhere, I will be mightily disappointed. But the best Easter Egg for me would include the words “I’ll be in my bunk!”

• Sandi says:

Would it be too obvious if Adam’s character named his gun “Vera”? I’m definitely looking forward to any Firefly references, even if they are very subtle.

14. Mari says:

This ep. was super funny! Love it!

15. Portia Diehl says:

He wants to mold him into a better law-fighting man

16. SpyTV says:

They were good together last night (only watched because Adam Baldwin was on), but man, as a show Castle is one boring procedural. I think the cop/detective genre has been done to death, so even though this was a new episode I felt as though I’d seen seen that same plot before!

• Ali says:

I loved his hair. AB’s got that fluffy, curly yummy hair and he is, after all, growing it out from the military’ish do he sported for Chuck as Col. Casey. (I liked it that way too,) but, this is all Jayne’d out like Serenity and I just love the scruffy hair/bear….sigh…shiver me timbers. I think I would die if ABC gave AB a spinoff that featured Detective Slaughter in all of his un PC, Jayne’ish behavior. I just died laughing every time he’d say something shocking and inappropriate. It really was Jayne in an alternate time line. LOVE IT, and love that AB!