Jupiter’s Legacy is likely to be a lasting one, given the sheer amount of star power in the Netflix superhero series’ cast. Josh Duhamel (11.22.63), Ben Daniels (The Exorcist), Leslie Bibb (American Housewife) and Matt Lanter (Timeless) are among the actors who’ve joined the upcoming comic-book adaptation, TVLine has learned.
Jupiter’s Legacy is based on the 2013 comic written by Mark Millar and drawn by Frank Quitely. Per the official logline, the series “follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930s. Now, in present day, they are the revered older guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.”
Read on for character details, straight from the official descriptions:
* Duhamel will play Sheldon Sampson/The Utopian, the leader of the storied superhero team The Union. But times have changed, and he doesn’t understand the world we live in anymore. Or his own family.
* Daniels will play Walter Sampson/Brain-Wave, Sheldon’s older brother. A man of vast intellect and cunning who, unlike Sheldon, isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. Or bloody.
* Bibb will play Grace Sampson/Lady Liberty, Sheldon’s wife and one of the most powerful heroes on the planet. She doesn’t always agree with Sheldon, but strives to balance his ideals with the reality of the modern, often violent, world they live in.
* Lanter will play George Hutchence/Skyfox, who was Sheldon Sampson’s closest friend and ally before turning against him and the rest of his teammates in The Union. Now considered the greatest supervillain in the world, George plots his revenge on the teammates he believes betrayed him.
* Elena Kampouris (American Odyssey) will play Chloe Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s daughter. Rejecting everything her parents stand for, Chloe has forged her own hedonistic path far away from them — a path that threatens to go against everything her parents have sworn to protect.
* Newcomer Andrew Horton will play Brandon Sampson, Grace and Sheldon’s son. In training to assume the mantle of The Utopian and become the new leader of The Union, he struggles to live up to his father’s mythic legend.
* Mike Wade (For the People) will play Fitz Small/The Flare, the heart and soul of The Union. Despite suffering injuries that ended his career as a superhero, he continues to be one of the most valued members of the team, and is often the only thing holding them together in the face of an increasingly hostile world.
In July 2018, Netflix announced plans to adapt Jupiter’s Legacy and American Jesus, a Spanish-English drama about a 12-year-old boy who discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ.
Steven S. DeKnight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Marvel’s Daredevil) will executive-produce Jupiter’s Legacy alongside Milar, Quitely, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott. DeKnight, who will serve as showrunner, also will write and direct the first episode.