Fall TV Preview

Kevin Can Wait: Leah Remini Shares First Season 2 Set Photo

Life after Donna has officially begun for Kevin Gable, with production underway on Kevin Can Wait Season 2.

The CBS sitcom will look slightly different when it returns this fall — and we’re not just talking about the beard Kevin James is sporting in this first on-set photo. New series regular Leah Remini, who is (essentially) replacing former leading lady Erinn Hayes, posted an image to Instagram late Friday night of her and her former King of Queens hubby.

“It’s been an amazing first week on Kevin Can Wait, so blessed that I had my family with me,” Remini said in the caption. “Thank you to all who came out tonight, cast, crew, writers, thank you for the love!”

As TVLine first reported, Hayes, who portrayed James’ wife Donna in Season 1, will not be returning for Season 2. Instead, “the character will have passed away,” Thom Sherman, CBS’ Senior Exec VP of Programming, revealed at CBS’ portion of the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour. What’s more, the second season will begin with a time jump (but not too much of a time jump; daughter Kendra is still in the wedding planning stages when the show returns.) CBS’ entertainment president Kelly Kahl later added that Donna’s death “will be addressed tastefully” and “with dignity and respect.”

For her part, Remini will reprise her role as Vanessa Cellucci, Kevin’s ex-police partner who was first introduced in the two-part Season 1 finale.

Kevin Can Wait Season 2 premieres on Monday, Sept. 25 at 9/8c. Will you be tuning in for Remini’s first episode as a series regular? (View additional photos of your favorite TV stars back at work in the attached gallery above.)

1. ameraleigh says:

I didn’t really like Donna but what I dislike even more is the direction the show has gone in. I really wish they would call it what it is, a reboot of King of Queens. I’m not a fan of Leah Remini, she plays the same harsh/abrasive character every time.

• Bill says:

Yes same here. She was ok, not spectacular. But what the show did is wrong on so many levels. Kind of hope it gets cancelled due to low ratings his year. That’d be karma

• ravynrobyn says:

Yup…that’s exactly why I’m not watching.

• Walt says:

Truthfully, the show as it was, was pretty weak! The actress who was replaced had no spark and added nothing to the show. She was bland at best!

I’m not sure this show is going to make it with or without Leah Remini but I don’t blame them for trying to save it. It sure as heck wasn’t working with the previous actress!

2. Steven says:

I feel like she should say something nice to Erinn Hayes. Reach out to her in some way. You basically re the reason she got fired.

• justsomeguy says:

I don’t get this though. This wasn’t Leah’s decision, to kill off the wife and join the show that is. She took the opportunity in front of her, which was an easy one for her I’m sure. Blame the TPTB that wanted to go in a different direction and get rid of the Donna character.

• jj says:

If you were fired from a job, would you really want your replacement to reach out?

• Walt says:

No! The reason she was replaced is because it wasn’t working with her as Kevin’s wife!

• suzi says:

That is your opinion, other viewers liked her just fine. It seems to me that she was replaced because Remini expressed an interest to be on the show, and apparently there wasn’t room for the both of them.

• Casey says:

Is she becoming Donna…. No – Leah is just joining the cast…. Kevin just like the chemistry between Leah and himself better… Nothing wrong with that

• Evan says:

Kevin James should be doing that actually but he has yet to make any statement about this whole thing. He’s just hoping it works and he won’t have to say anything.

3. Lorenzo Graceffo says:

Bring back 2 broke girls

• TV Gord says:

OMG! That’s hilarious! Thanks. I needed a laugh right now. :-D

• Another Poster says:

Two Broke Girls never treated anyone as badly as Kevin Can Wait treated Erinn Hayes.
      I will admit that Two Broke Girls could be crude, rude, and was past it’s prime.
      Yet 2BG had a certain amount of friendship, partnership, and likability that Keven Can Wait has lost forever.
      CBS owns Keven Can Wait, (and it did not own Two Broke Girls), however, while it was a good business decision to keep KCW and cancel 2BG, I think when KCW returns in the fall, the ratings will be terrible.
      It’s a “murder/suicide” as far as this person is concerned.
      Keven Can hold his breath and Wait for me to watch this awful program again.
      CBS does not care if I don’t watch the show again, I am just one person; however, I am positive many people hate KCW after the way they treated Erinn Hayes.
      Look what happened to Arthur Godfrey’s carer after he fired Julius LaRosa on the air.

• Can’t stand two broke girls, that show just wasn’t funny at all.

4. MMD says:

Nope. Wasn’t a fan before but with the way everything was handled, I won’t even give it a try.

5. TV Gord says:

Every TV season needs a spectacular disaster. It’s refreshing that this season, it will be a second-season show, and not a new one.

6. bee says:

Poor TV antics to kill off the wife,fast forward and poof Leah! Not returning, too shady a show.

7. justsomeguy says:

Can’t wait for Season 2. The two episodes with Leah were the very best of the whole first season. If Season 2 is similar to what they did during those episodes, then KCW will be a significantly better show because of it.

8. Ramona Gebert says:

I liked Erinn Hayes. The show won’t be as good without her.

9. Charlene Ofstedahl says:

The show was always like King of Queens anyway. Kevin played the exact same character. I will not watch this season even though I like Leah. Think the whole thing was handled badley.

10. A fan of Erin Hayes says:

I think that was dirty what they did to Erin Hayes, killing her off and putting Leah Remini in. Ms. HAYES was funny and alot of people loved her. All my friends will not be watching ” Kevin can wait”. We do not enjoy watching LEAH REMINI!!!😴😴😴

11. Stevie B says:

When the show first premiered the first thing I said the wife on this show is such a breath of fresh air compared to the wife on King of Queens. Thought it was a great show till the last 2 episodes in Season 1. Definitely will not watch!

• Jo Bloane says:

Reminds me when I watched Newhart and was happy finally that Suzanne Pleshette was nowhere to be found. Then they had episode where he woke up and she was in bed with him. Never watched a Newhart episode after that!!! Ridiculous!

• JJ says:

Haha that was the final episode of Newhart. There were no other episodes for you to watch.

• TV watch says:

That was the very last show. That was the last second of the finale. It was a joke like the whole show had been a dream.

• Walt says:

You couldn’t of watched any new episodes of “Newhart” after that because it was the series finale!

• TV Gord says:

Actually, Jo, I hated Newhart because of how absurd it was (broad characters, outlandish situations), but after I knew it was all a dream of Bob Hartley’s, I watched the reruns and enjoyed it much more! That finale actually gave it a context that helped me to enjoy it for what it was.

12. Ange says:

I was going to start watching this show but now I think I’ll pass. I can’t stomach another “death is the reason such and such is not here” storyline. That one has been done before – it was called Valerie’s Family then The Hogans or something like that. No one has original ideas anymore…

13. Paula Gonzalez says:

Yes yes yes yes!

14. HowdyFrank says:

Pardon my immaturity level in expressing myself but something feels icky about watching this.

15. Susan Pettrey says:

This will be the biggest thing to happen to Leah and Kevin fans since King of Queens!! Cannot wait…LOVE YOU LEAH!! KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT 😄

16. Wes says:

I will shocked if the show makes it after this season. Dumb move.

17. Brody77 says:

F everyone involved in this clustermuck for the way they treated Erinn Hayes.
    Totally disrespectful.

18. Sunshine says:

Not going to watch anymore, Erin got screwed so Leah could come back

19. F'oopy says:

Now I’m intrigued. Anyone else get the feeling maybe Kevin’s wife was murdered and cops Kevin and Leah team up to investigate. Might be a fun way to handle the transition.

20. Chris Casey says:

Will not be watching anymore.

21. Dijeirusan says:

Heads up to casual users of this site – since doing that Scientology show, almost every article comments section about Leah across the web is full of the same types of posts, from people that are always trying to smear her and her projects. Most these comments are spam.

22. Linda Hunt says:

Leah and Kevin, the two are a match made in Hollywood Heaven!! Seriously, one of the two few couples that actually come off as if they were a true couple! Looking forward to the new season. Get it y’all!!

23. Denise Figueroa says:

“King of Massapqueqa”, I think not, I am done with the show. Kevin will be waiting a long, long, long time for me to tune in. Like “Last Man Standing”, too many “Tool Time” old cast members barging in. You want new venues for actor then leave it at that, NEW, not old has-beens.

24. Jeffery Miller says:

It’s sad. Hayes earned her character, and she was screwed by CBS. Retooled King of Queens is what it will be. I was a fan of Remini and King of Queens, not anymore. I have no interest in watching a retooled King of Queens. Remini should of declined, money talks and bs walks.

25. Hayes was screwed by CBS. She earned her character. It will be a retooled King of Queens. Remini should of declined, but it’s Hollywood and money talks and you know what walks. I’ve lost my admiration for Remini and my love for King of Queens. Not interested at all.

• Denise Figueroa says:

MY COMMENT (?) WHERE IS IT. IT WAS ( G ) rated….🤗

• Brigid says:

Yes, and next time you get a job you should decline since they had to fire someone else to give you that job. Grow up and don’t blame Leah for taking a job that she was offered. Anyone that has a family and needs to take care of them will take a good job. Taking it out on her is childish and ridiculous!

26. Nero tTVfiddler says:

I await the return of Jerry Stiller… if he comes back on this show as well, okay, then maybe the producers are in a state of panic about show direction and/or ratings.

Until then, I just assume the network and/or producers were concerned about the state of the series for season 2. and they hope this ‘re-boot’ works. I feel badly for Erinn Hayes, but “that’s show biz.” Maybe CBS can find a pilot for her for next spring, and help her find guest roles on CBS series in the meantime? I think that would be most welcome by fans and all involved. I hope things work out well for Ms. Hayes.

27. keniri says:

Leah Remini was promoted because Kevin James bullied the network to remove Erinn Hayes from the series. I hope this show gets canceled to. Kevin James isn’t that great of an actor to be pulling crap like this. It would server Remini and James right if the show tanked and it got canceled. King of Queens was okay but it wasn’t great. I found other shows like Everybody Loves Raymond to be a lot better than Kevin James’ shows. what a massive ego on a massive idiot.

28. Valerie Riley says:

I thought Donna was great. Big mistake getting rid of her.

29. Sean Dougherty says:

I have a feeling this will be an early casualty of the 2017-18 tv season, why not just bring back King of Queens like They’re doing with Will and grace and Roseanne?

30. woody says:

So, they kill off the wife, and replace her with the second most annoying woman ever on to be on TV (Rosanne Barr as the most annoying!) and are sure people will watch the silly to begin with show. If there is anything decent on any other channel n that time slot, that’s where I will be!

31. I’m interested to see where this goes. I wish they would just bring back the King of Queens though. I still watch all the re-runs, it’d be cool to have a few new episodes to view.

32. Patti says:

I agree that Erinn Hayes just didn’t work with Kevin, but killing her off makes me mad. I think a divorce would have been a better way to go.

Having said that, I am glad Leah is coming back. Personally I would love to see a King of Queens reboot.