HIMYM Spinoff Update

HIMYM Spinoff Back in Development, This Time With Different Writers

Just when you thought it was finally safe to put your blue French horn in storage, along comes more talk about a How I Met Your Mother spinoff.

A third attempt at an offshoot — one that would flip the script, with a woman telling her children how she met their father — is in the works, according to 20th Century Fox TV chairman Dana Walden. She tells TVLine’s sister site Deadline that “the studio will try [making another show] with different writers” than were used in previous efforts.

“[The writers] will be starting from scratch,” Walden explains. “It’s one that’s being slowly cooked. If it’s the right idea, the right execution, we’ll take that.”

The first attempt at a spinoff came in the form of 2014’s How I Met Your Dad, a pilot that was never to see the light of day, much less snag a series order at CBS. Starring the likes of Greta Gerwig, Nicholas D’Agosto and even Meg Ryan, the pilot — whose script was leaked online in full — remained tonally in sync with its predecessor.

A second attempt was made in 2016, with This Is Us co-executive producers/writers Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger leading the charge. Unfortunately, the success of the duo’s NBC drama ultimately ate up their availability, resulting in the pilot’s demise.

Mother Nation, are you excited to hear that the HIMYM spinoff could still have legs? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. N.Kyl says:

Meh…

• davej13 says:

I watched most of the series and enjoyed it. I so hated the finale that I refuse to watch anything else made by the producers. And I still have not forgiven them for blowing off peoples’ reaction to the finale by saying how they had such passionate fans.

• Ethan says:

Still have never watched the finale in my mind the the season 8 finale is the ending of the show with the first 20 episodes of season 9 being extra bonus specials.

• Gregg J says:

The writers stuck with their ending that was written after season 2 when Ted was still hung up on Robin. It would have been the perfect series finale for then. But after 7 more years of character development (including 3 years of them convincing us, succesfully, that Robin was perfect for Barney, not Ted), they completely undid all that character growth in that choppy hour. Barney again was a womanizer, Robin again wanted Ted, etc. What we wanted to see was them all ride off happily into the sunset and they took away from us for the sake of “sticking to their guns”.

• AAEBoiler says:

Thank you very much! I loved the show but soooo hated the finale that I have never even watched an episode in syndication.

• Angie says:

Same here. It was a favorite for years but the last 10 minutes completely ruined it for me. I haven’t watched a single episode since.

• Ann says:

I loved this show and I thought the finale completed the story that they had been telling from day one. I admire the writers for knowing what they want and sticking to it instead of caving in to bandwagon fans who never really understood what they show was truly about.

2. Diggory says:

Nooo

3. Steven says:

LET IT DIE.

4. T.W.S.S. says:

They way they’re so determined to make this, you’d think someone somewhere is demanding it.

5. Paula says:

Kill it! Kill it with fire! I actually took all of my DVD sets of HIMYM and tossed them into a dumpster because I was so livid that one of my all time favorite shows was desecrated by that horrid finale! Have never watched a single rerun since (and never will!) Barney, Robin and the viewers deserved so much better. Nine years wasted when the series ended exactly as it began. Cannot believe anyone is clamoring for a ‘do over.’

• Thumbelina says:

This!!!

• Pamela says:

Exactly.

• 100% agree! I mean just this morning when my random thought led me to the HIMYM finale and I found out after all this time, I’m still pissed as hell. After that finale. I can’t even bring myself to endure the rerun just cuz’ even one single scene seems like a lie they are telling straight to my face. Don’t even bother with character development if it means in the end you’re just throwing it all away for an ending so far from what the characters have become. I’m so pissed off everytime someone claims they LIKE that finale, they comes off as ignorant to me. Barney and Robin are the couple that stands the test of time, not even Ted and Tracy are relevant anymore. Something beautiful and iconic and worth rooting for finally got destroyed by its own idiotic writers. I’ve lost all of my respect to Craig and Carter and I have no intention in looking even halfway at any of their future project. Really can’t stand the idea that some writers like them who betrayed, lied to and cheated their fans are still allowed to write shows.

• Will says:

They were so much more concerned on creating a “controversial” finale rather than have a be a good one. Finales don’t always have to be a happy ending, but if the Tracy death thing was handled properly I would be understanding. But to kill her off in the last 30 seconds then have Ted up with Robin in the last 15 is just spitting in the face of the viewers.

• Ann says:

I don’t understand why people are upset with the ending. Did you not watch the entire series? There were several hints throughout the entire series that foreshadowed that the Mother was dead. Robin and Barney would never stand the test of time. Everyone knew they would get a divorce eventually. Anyone who believes they would last lives in TV Land where everyone has a happy ending…where Ross and Rachel married and lived happily ever after. NEWS FLASH! Ross and Rachel were a terrible couple, if they were real people, they wouldn’t even had lasted 5 years of marriage…or if they did stay together for the kids…they would have been having affairs and barely speaking to each other. “Life happens.” That was the mantra of HIMYM. And they stuck with it to the end. It was refreshing. Ted and Tracy lived happily for all the years of their lives together. Unfortunately, life happens and people die. And we got to move on. The finale was a beautiful ending to a great love story…two love stories.

• Patch says:

Yes. This.

• LolaHaze says:

Couldn’t agree more.

6. Ange says:

If the mother plays the mother yes. I loved her. She was hilarious.

7. Kristina says:

Noooo! No make it go away. Only thing I’d be interested in is a revival a la Will & Grace or Roseanne that erases that disaster of a finale, if only to get rid of the bad taste it left with viewers. OR, possibly, a spinoff with Cristin Milioti and Josh Radnor (that also ignores said disaster of a finale). Either of those, I’d watch.

8. TaMara says:

What this show needs is a good vampire slayer with a very sharp stick.

9. Hodan says:

I already know how this would end. The mother would end up with the uncle and the father would be dead.

10. Kyle says:

Booo. Just LET GO!

11. Mark Green says:

I get that people hated the ending (well, SOME people) but nobody is forcing you to watch this so if you don’t like it? Move on and let others enjoy it instead of spreading misery and bickering.

• Sam says:

nah bro, it was universally panned and all spinoffs should die.

• abjr says:

Well, since this article specifically as each and every one of us what our opinion is, I don’t think we have to move along and we were invited to express our opinion of the awfulness of the last show and absolute horror of another as a spin-off.

If that bothers you, why don’t you move on and let others of us comment here instead of questioning why we comment and bickering with us.

• Ethan says:

I’d actually be into them just rebooting the series from before the finale like what they’re doing with Will and Grace.

• E. D. Boddy says:

We’re NOT going to watch the show.

12. It would work if they could use it to fix the clusterf that was the conclusion of the original.

13. Jason says:

I still get so angry about the way the series ended, that the mere idea of another show along these lines makes me want to go out of my way to avoid it.

14. Bill says:

Come on! After that terrible finale that should have just ended after he mothers death why would anyone watch this mess? Let it go please

15. Percys Owner says:

I won’t watch it. The finale of HIMYM left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don’t want to see the concept again.

Maybe, if they made a sequel to the original that erased the finale, the way Will and Grace and Rosanne are going to, then I might give the idea a try, but right now, I don’t want to go through that again. Not even if they swear that they don’t have a specific ending in mind.

The finale to HIMYM ruined the show for me. I can’t stand reruns and I’ll never watch the DVDs again. It’s too bad, because early HIMYM had some of the funniest episodes of a comedy that I had ever seen.

16. parstl says:

I liked the first two seasons but then it got ridiculous and became the Barney show. I wont even bother to watch a rerun if I come across it while channel surfing…Id rather watch paint dry. Just let it be. The public doesnt want it.

17. Ben says:

Would be cooler to just make a movie tbh.

18. datdudemurphy says:

About the only thing I would watch is a series showing Ted and Tracy as parents…placing the focus on the couple and their small family.

hopefully, they’d be able to arrange occasional guest spots for the original cast.

19. Bark Star says:

Ahhhhhhh…. the tears of the finale haters still taste sweet and delicious.

• Gern Blanston says:

This is my feeling also. As someone that really liked the finale a lot, I tried to sympathize at first with people that were disappointed in how it ended. Now I just laugh that they still hold onto this level of anger. It’s hilarious.

• Kay says:

I feel the same way. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in actually liking the finale. The way these comments sections go, you’d think the producers murdered the commenters’ mothers- that’s the only thing that would make sense given the level of anger this produces.

20. The finale was terrible. The idea that they made us wait so long to meet the mother, and then revealed she was dead all along was just such a horribly bad idea that I wouldn’t watch a spinoff.

I know they filmed an alternate ending that was much better, but they really soured my feelings for the show. I just don’t get how producers think that a twist like that would go over well.

21. David Graf says:

When are they going to recognize that the ending to the original HIMYM just poisoned the well so much that any spinoff is going to crash and burn? The same thing happened when Ron Moore jumped the shark big time with the Battlestar Galactica finale which in turn sent the Caprica prequel into a death spiral with BSG fans before its first episode was aired.

22. T says:

Sure I didn’t like the ending but it my mind the alternative ending from the DVD is reality. No matter how horrid that ending was I can not let it mar my enjoyment of every other episode. As for a spin-off it will depend I guess on the people in it. In HIMYM I watched mostly because of Marshall but also Lily and Ted. If they have some compelling people in it I will watch it.

• Gern Blanston says:

Wow. Somebody that didn’t like the original ending yet has perspective. You, sir or ma’am, are a unicorn.

23. Squirrelly says:

Did I ever tell ya the definition of insanity…?

24. dansue says:

Yeah, horrible finale, hated it and can’t watch reruns. Some writers think they’re smarter than they really are

25. Cas says:

I liked the finale. It wrapped things up nicely. So the mother died. People die every day in real life. You move on.

• Ann says:

The HIMYM finale was great and wrapped the series up perfectly in a cohesive manner. It was sad and sweet at the same time. Anyone who watched the series it’s entire run like I did would have known that the Mother was dead from the way the narrator spoke about her…always in the past tense. And subtle clues were given throughout the entire series for anyone who paid attention. Bigger clues were given out during it’s last season, but people were in denial of it. The fact that Ted wasn’t telling this story to his kids for the first time was very interesting and anyone who took time to ask the question of why is he re-telling a longer version of a story that he has told his kids hundreds of time had to wonder why he began his story with his first meeting with Robin. Taking this series’s narrative in it’s entirety, everything made sense and fit so beautifully.

• E. D. Boddy says:

The complaint isn’t that the mother died. It’s that it was bad storytelling. It was all a “psych! He gets with Robin all along!!”

• Ethan says:

Exactly. Most people were fine with the mother dying, it was expected. What ruined the finale was that the concept of the show was in fact revealed to be a total fake out. They literally spent the last two and half seasons m showing Ted letting go of Robin and moving on and then just killed all that development in span of 2 minutes.

• Gern Blanston says:

Yeah. That’s why I hate The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects and The Sting. If everything isn’t completely predictable and linear then it’s the worst thing of all time and the perpetrators that made these monstrosities must never be allowed to work again.

26. Gregg J says:

I watched the show for 9 years and loved it. Then they completely turned me off with that abomination of a series finale. It soured me so much on the show that I’m not sure I’d go down that road again with a spinoff.

27. Justine says:

What is wrong with people? I just don’t understand how anyone keeps thinking trying to create a spinoff after that horrendous finale that was basically universally hated, which few exceptions. No one had seen those kids in 7 years. No one cared. The characters had undergone such major character development since then and the finale erased all of that. Not to mention, spending an entire season on the wedding weekend and then having them divorce minutes into the finale?? What was that??? I have so much trouble rewatching any reruns because I am so mad about that ending. It’s right up there in my book with the Dexter is a lumberjack finale. What happened that year??? Writers everywhere lost their marbles apparently! LOL

28. dq18 says:

I did not loathe the ending, so much as I did the whole “Joey Loves Rachel” aspect of putting Barney and Robin together. I would have been much happier with the ending if they hadn’t made that SUCH big thing that they took an entire season for the wedding. Sure, if they’d hooked up and it hadn’t worked out and they’d moved on and stayed friends that would be one thing. But to exact so much time trying to convince us that this was the right thing only to undo it moments later was what disappointed me. In that respect, I’d go into a spinoff pretty leery and not nearly as invested.

• R.O.B. says:

It would have been awesome if the ending were Barney telling Robin he was a spy all along, and then recruiting her. It would have made perfect sense, explained his ridiculous career, and we could have been gifted a legendary montage and a happy ending for them.

29. Toni says:

I’d seen the occasional episode here and there in reruns so I was an outsider who saw the mass meltdown reaction to the finale. It was very entertaining and I kind of liked how the “wrong” but right ship got their happy ending.

30. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Hey, what about all the diversity casting going on in Hollywood? Have a male lead, but still call the show ‘How I Met Your Father’.

31. Samuel S Yeager says:

I really don’t understand how it’s a spinoff if there isn’t a single character from the originals returning.

32. R.O.B. says:

If there’s a spinoff, it should be left field, like about Barney becoming a CIA spy. Alias/Homeland as a comedy. We don’t need “How I Met Your Father”.

33. Pat says:

I watched HIMYM from the beginning and then to that awful letdown of an ending. I will not even watch the reruns of this show which I have never done with any other show that has ended in the past. So a spinoff, no way will I invest my time in watching this.

34. Chad Bernier says:

The finale haters are insane. Think about it people. The finale is correct. No other ending would perfectly explain anything everything. Nothing else can explain the show. Barney and Robin were necessary. The mother dieing was necessary. Ted getting back with Robin was necessary. That was the whole point of him telling this long version of the story. With any other ending, the show wouldn’t even exist. Did you even see that part? It sounds like the finale haters didn’t even watch the whole finale. It has to be this way, nothing else works. This was good story telling. Of you don’t agree, you are just wrong.

Also, just because you don’t like the last few minutes doesn’t mean you have to literally throw the show out. The reruns are just as good as they were the first, even better really.
    I have rewatched the show and I will rewatch it again someday. Watch the show again, you can just skip the last few minutes.

There is a flaw in that it was too rushed. We fell in love with Tracy / Christin instantly. I would have liked more time with her. This isn’t logical either, because the story wasn’t about her really. The intelligent person is going to insist on a logical story no matter their emotions.

A spinoff with the original actress could be just what I want. I do think they will use someone else and I do think they will totally ruin it. A good version, two seasons, one before Tracy met Ted, and one afterwards is highly desired. This would be put closure on the Tracy character. I love her. I want my wife to be like her. This show is just emotional though, no logical reason for it to exist.

• Percys Owner says:

Oh, good Lord, that’s just not true. Robin could have been doing a story in a dangerous part of the world and had gone missing and Ted was building up to telling the kids. Barney could have died and Ted was building up to tell the kids. Ted could have been facing a health crisis and rambling in order to avoid talking about it. Those are just a few reasons why Ted could have been talking about Robin and Barney.

You liked the finale, good for you! And I mean that wholeheartedly. I hated it. I’m not saying the writers should never work again. I’m saying that the finale disappointed ME so much that it broke MY trust and I am unwilling to give them the chance to do that again.

I don’t hate it because the mother died. I don’t even hate it because Barney and Robin broke up. I hated that every single woman ended up only serving the men in the story. The mother had the good grace to give Ted the kids that Robin didn’t want, then had the better grace to die and get out of the way. The kids don’t care enough about her to WANT to hear about how Ted met HER. They just are overjoyed that Ted wants to boink somebody else. Lilly finally got over her silly idea that she could have a career and be an artist, shaped up and realized that her place was to help Marshall make his dreams come true. The mother of Barney’s child was so unimportant that she never got a name. She didn’t want to raise the kid, but she didn’t have an abortion (I know, abortion is taboo on TV). Instead she dumps the kid on Barney the horn dog and never bothers him again. Robin FINALLY gets all that nonsense about wanting to travel and explore new lifestyles out of her system and is finally ready to be the wife TED wants and BONUS! the kids will be out of the house in a few years, so Ted can have Robin all to himself.

I was infuriated by the ending for a lot of reasons. I’m angry enough about it that I don’t want to give the writers another chance. But, hey if they get a new show and have another hit, more power to them, they’ll just do it without me watching.

• TV Viewer says:

I love your explanation as to why many fans did not like the ending.
        The last season spent months on a three day wedding and then in one hour said what happened to the group over the space of a few years.
        We waited 9 years to find out who the mother was, and they treated her like a “Mr. Calvert” in James Cameron’s Titanic (1997). A non-entity sperm, (or egg donor), whose existence is to help the narrator be a parent and then quickly die off so the narrator can be united with their true love.
        People die on series finales all the time, they are usually not treated a red herrings. Especially by their children who probably wanted to know a whole lot more about their dead mother than their father was willing to tell them.
        The producers came up with an ending that would have worked if the show had ended after a few years, however, it was not a satisfying conclusion for a show that went on for nine years.
        The producers can return to TV with a spin off, however, after the way How I Met Your Mother Ended, (with the majority not liking the series finale), they should not be surprised if the ratings are a disappointment.

35. Chris says:

The problem is they wanted it to be completely separate,any Spin-off like that has failed. People want a connection to the original, even if you just have it take place in the same bar or a different bar with Wendy the waitress or just bring back one original cast member or even a minor one like the naked man.

36. Wayne says:

After they killed the mother I will never ever watch the show or any spinoff again!

37. Cheryl says:

Nah – I can’t even.

The only way I’d watch it if they promise not to screw up the ending like they did with HIMYM. Years of watching, only to find out she dies, and Ted with Robyn – the most incompatible couple ever.

Kind of like watching Lost – they rip out all of the mythology in the finale – it’s all for naught.

• grazelled says:

I can watch episodes of Lost, even cry at the ending as the whole last season was about their “sideways” journey and not get mad that the mythology questions weren’t the focus of the finale because for me each character completed their journey. The focus was on the characters, not the mythology. On HIMYM, the whole last season was about the wedding, we got to meet the wonderful mother, it was all about character development. Then the last 10 minutes blew up all the character growth and point of the show’s journey. Just because you think you know how you want to end your story 9 season ago doesn’t mean you should as a storyteller when characters evolve and grow over the course of the years. I have no interest in watching HIMYM reruns since that finale. Anything connected to that show repels me.

38. John smith says:

I don’t understand why people are so upset about barney and robyn divorcing. The story was never really about those two in the first place. Everything that happened from start to finish was about Ted and how he got to the where he was with the kids. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed almost all of the characters and back storys. All except for Lilly. Her meddling with everone just got annoying to me after a while. Probably just me though. I personally thought that the finally was enjoyable and would love to see a return/spin off to the series.