Fall TV Preview
The Flash Tom Felton

The Flash: Tom Felton Not Returning as Series Regular for Season 4

Looks like Julian Albert won’t be part of the effort to rescue The Flash from the speed force.

Tom Felton, who joined the CW drama’s ensemble last year as Barry Allen’s CSI supervisor, will not return as a series regular for Season 4, TVLine has confirmed.

Over the course of his run, Julian went from being a thorn in Barry’s side in the workplace to an unwitting acolyte of Big Bad Savitar to a valued member of Team Flash. He also developed a budding romance with Caitlin Snow, which was cut short by her Killer Frost turmoil. (Rather than taking the cure that Julian had developed, Caitlin declared that she needed time to figure out who she was now.)

When the series returns this fall (on Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c), the action will pick up six months later, with Barry trapped in the speed force as his friends and family back home (minus Julian, it seems) attempt to get him out.

Harry Potter alum Felton — who was absent from San Diego Comic-Con last week and whose alter ego was not seen in the Flash Season 4 trailer — is not set to appear in a guest-star or recurring capacity, but that could change, storyline and schedule-permitting.

The news of Felton’s departure was first reported by EW.com.

1. Wrstlgirl says:

This sucks, I really liked him.

2. I really enjoyed his character! It is a bummer that he won’t be back. I liked him and Caitlin.

3. S K says:

Sad about this. He was SO good in that role!

4. Mo says:

Julian had so much potential so of course the show squandered it. The little we got was fun, sans the sappy romance. But at least they didn’t kill him so there’s a chance he could pop up later. Or maybe as another earth’s doppelganger!

5. Michael says:

Well that sucks! He was really good on this show

• Jim says:

Agree. I like the way his character evolved into a valued member of the team, and Felton played the role very well. It was a nice change from the stock characters usually seen on superhero shows.

6. Mark says:

The curse of Caitlin strikes again can this character never find love its turning into a Disney story now.

7. maltru says:

This bums me out. I thought he was an awesome addition to the show. Fingers crossed they can work out getting him back at some point!

8. N says:

Im surprised, if they knew the was a possibility, they wouldn’t have written him out after last season.at first i did not think he would last beyond this past season but then they started the storyline with him and Caitlin and did the episode in the future where he was still around. i wonder if something happened that made felton pull out of the show because i don’t think it\s what the show runners wanted.

9. maregolden says:

I thought he was a really great addition to the show. I wish they could have kept him on.

10. Beth Woodrum says:

Well, that stinks! I grew to really like Julian!

11. wwtbd12 says:

So it seems like the more appropriate title would be “not returning”, if he isn’t set to return as reoccurring or even a guest spot.

12. Dominique says:

ah no, that sucks, i really liked him and his friendships with team flash.
    is this a decision made by the showrunners, or did tom want to leave? if it’s the former, then they really ought to reconsider, he added some much needed fresh pair of eyes to the storylines.

13. Sabrina says:

I like Julian. I wanted Caitlin and Julian to be together because they had this nerdy doctor love thing, plus Caitlin lost her husband, Ronnie, and she was emotionally abused by Hunter. She had a bad case of love.

14. Natalie says:

This is upsetting, first Legends puts Arthur Darvill into a recurring status and now this. Tom was so great as Julian and I really liked that character. A part of me feels like this is choice made by the writers since Tom seemed eager to return for S4 while in a panel with GG. If that’s true then this is totally absurd, they had a really talented actor in their group and pushed him out.

15. But he wasn’t credited as a Main, he was a special guest star, when was he a series regular. Everywhere I have seen hes a recurring character

16. Lily says:

I am not all that surprised. Tom Felton probably only signed a one-year contract.

• ScottJ says:

I doubt that British actors like the long term US show contracts, or the long network show seasons. British contracts are generally a series at a time, and the series are much shorter anyway.

17. Joey Padron says:

Sad news. Tom was good on the show last season. Hope he comes back to in a guest star or recurring role for some episodes.

18. Aen says:

I did wonder why he had been helping out at his mums store for the past few weeks rather than at conventions (the shop is only a few doors down from my office). Hopefully he does get to reprise his role on the Flash or find alternate work soon.

19. T.W.S.S. says:

At this point, it’s a running gag that Caitlin gets a new love interest every season. I liked Julian, but bring on the next.

20. Ben says:

Darn, Tom Felton was the best part of season 3.

21. Carla Krae says:

So the city has had no Medical Examiner with CCPD, then? Let me guess, Caitlyn will return, ask where he is, and they’ll say he got tired of waiting. Eye roll.

22. MelindaB says:

Too bad–Julian grew on me, and I like Tom Felton. I was hoping that his attraction to Caitlin would end up going somewhere. Since it looks like Harrison is back, maybe they’ve only got room for one ascerbic wit on the show.

23. Mary says:

This is so annoying. Julian really grew on me as a character and he was one of the better parts of a terrible season 3. He’s still around in the future Iris died in but now he’s gone? I guess I should just be happy they didn’t kill him!

24. Agent 86 says:

Sounds good. Caitlin’s character needs a lot more screen time and a storyline which isn’t focused on her being the love interest for another character.
    If they really need to add another member to Team Flash, then I would have preferred to see Tracy Brand stick around. The Flash needs to do better with its female characters and I thought the character had a good energy which worked well with the other team members.

25. Jason says:

That’s a bummer. I felt that he fit in really nicely.

26. Ashley says:

He’s been posting stuff from set though

27. JP says:

This is really disappointing! He was the best part of last season.

28. ChrisGa says:

Meh, I’d much rather see the other Tom exit; nothing against Cavanaugh, but I’ve had enough iterations of Harrison Wells to last a lifetime(yes, two is more than enough).

29. Mark says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought he was just recurring last season. I remember seeing his name in the guest star lists, at least early in the season. I was actually pleasantly surprised he stuck around as long as he did.

But I am bummed. I liked his character. Hopefully, we get a chance to see him again soon.

30. Riley says:

Well the character and the actor Felton will be missed. I rather enjoyed the character Julian.😞

31. Ingrid SA says:

Seriously am I the only one who’s happy he’s gone😕, seriously!!!!!!!!

32. Caleb says:

Yay he sucks!!

33. Anne says:

That’s a shame. I really liked him.

34. DMK says:

Not terribly surprised about this. I’ve been following him on social media (he’s a fun guy to follow, does really interesting stuff) and it’s been obvious that he’s *not* been working in Vancouver. (Think he’s in Europe currently, skateboarding and playing his guitar.)

35. Why Tom leaves The Flash ?

36. Michelle says:

This sucks. He was the best part of season 3!

37. George H. says:

Thought he was great on The Flash. Sad to see him go. On a positive note, Danny Trejo posted he will be on The Flash this season. Love him, and will be looking forward to see what he does.

38. Television says:

Dang, that sucks. He was really really great as part of the cast full time.