Nashville Recap SEason 5 Episode 19

Nashville Recap: The Exes Factor

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Nashville recap here.

The thing that many of us thought might happen to Scarlett and Gunnar after last week’s Nashville actually does happen in this week’s Nashville, and it’s heartbreaking. If you read these recaps with any regularity, you know that I’m far more likely to make a hemp-choker joke about Scarlett than to sympathize with her flights of emotional fancy. After all, how many public crying fits can a grown woman have before people stop taking her seriously? Yet when Deacon’s niece suffers a miscarriage in “You Can’t Lose Me,” you’d have to be a Jeff Fordham-level jackass not to feel some sadness on her behalf.

The breakup with Gunnar that follows? Eh, I’ve been more broken up about losing a sock at the laundromat.

Elsewhere, Maddie finds out that Juliette stole her song, and there are some Smash-level hysterics that follow. Read on for the episode’s highlights.

ADDING INJURY TO INSULT | The morning after their robbery, a bruised Gunnar goes to the police station to look at mugshots in the hopes that he’ll be able to identify their attacker. He’s unsuccessful. Scarlett rests at home, where she starts having pain and then sees that she’s bled through her pajama pants. (Side note: Is it just me, or does Scar look way more pregnant in this episode than she did in the last?) She calls Deacon, who arrives to find her frantically scrubbing the pants in the sink. When she nearly passes out, he picks her up and brings her to the hospital.

Scarlett Googles “bleeding during pregnancy” while they wait to see a doctor, and she’s just convinced herself that everything is going to be fine… when an ultrasound shows that the baby’s heart has stopped. Comprehension sinks in, Scarlett starts making high pitched sounds of grief and Deacon is barely holding it together. It’s rough.

Later, Gunnar storms into the hospital — he’s clearly already gotten the news — and is bereft as he stands by Scarlett’s bedside. The doctor says that the fall Scarlett took during the mugging didn’t cause her to miscarry, but that does nothing to help anything. Still, I’m glad the show made a point of saying it. Television dramas love using a minor knock or bump to explain away the end of a pregnancy. Nashville also chooses to point out another physically and emotionally painful aspect that TV often glosses over: Sometimes, women have to go through labor and delivery of the dead child before it’s finally over. And that’s what happens to Scarlett, who starts having contractions and kicks Gunnar out of her room, tearfully demanding that she’s going to do it on her own.

AN ODD, KIND GESTURE | Deacon calls Jessie to apologize for not calling an agent on her behalf like he’d promised her earlier, then winds up telling her about Scarlett. She’s very sympathetic — to the point that she puts together a miscarriage gift bag (I’m not kidding) for Scarlett and plans to leave it on her porch… but gets caught when Scar sees her. “Deacon told you?” Scarlett says, and I can’t fault her for the edge in her voice. But when Jessie says that she’s had two miscarriages and just wanted to help by providing a few things to ease the pain (special tea, iron tablets, a Ghostbusters DVD), Scar softens and invites her in.

The two women are sharing stories and crying a little (“I never even got to tell her her name,” Scarlett says quietly, adding that all she has of the baby is the blanket the nurses wrapped her in “because I asked to see her”) when Deke shows up. He thinks Jessie crossed a line by going to Scarlett’s place, and I don’t disagree, especially because he told her that no one was supposed to know about the baby. What, was Scarlett supposed find the bag of stuff at her front door and think the miscarriage fairy left it there? But when Jessie tells him about her experience with losing pregnancies, he is chagrined.

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 19WE WEREN’T ON A BREAK? | At home, Gunnar drinks and broods and vents to Will that he should’ve done more to protect Scarlett during the attack. “I saw that movie, too. I don’t think it works that way in the real world,” Will says kindly, but Gunnar wants no sympathy. He stalks off to the bathroom, where he runs the shower but, sadly, does not strip and enter it. Inwardly, I worry — remember the last time Gunny eschewed personal grooming in favor of indulging his demons? It was when his criminal brother Jason was around, and it did not end well. In short: Bad things happen when Gunnar doesn’t wash his hair.

And yep, pretty soon a greasy, overtired Gunnar is prowling the streets in his car, creeping up on teenage boys, trying to find the one who pulled a gun on him. He eventually does, chasing the kid down and punching him, then getting freaked by his own violence. The kid runs off.

Gunnar is a mess when Scarlett shows up at his place later. There’s crying and self-flagellating, and they eventually come to the conclusion that they should take some time to think things through. Readers, I ask you: WHAT WERE THEY DOING BEFORE? Anyway, Avery calls to check in and invites his friend to join him on tour. Realizing that there’s nothing tethering him to Music City anymore, Gunnar accepts.

Nashville recap Season 5 Episode 19

THE TRUTH WILL OUT | At Zach’s insistence, Juliette performs her new, highly successful single “Water Rising” as a duet at Maddie’s concert. But at a party the next evening, Ju nearly hurts herself trying to keep distance between Mads and Travis, the songwriter who thinks that the teen passed up his tune. It all erupts when Maddie and Travis run into each other in the lobby and he casually mentions how he’d like to work with her in the future, and how it’s totally cool that she didn’t want to record his song. Cue apoplectic adolescent in 3… 2…

Maddie runs back into the party and tosses a martini in Juliette’s face, right there in front of everyone. Oh, Eileen Rand would be so proud! Ju quickly tries to hush her and move the conversation elsewhere, but Maddie isn’t having it. “There’s nothing to talk about, liar!” she spits, taking off.

The next morning, a contrite Juliette shows up at the Jaymes-Claybourne residence, but has to make her case to Daphne, because Maddie won’t come to the door. Ju says there’s no excuse for her behavior, which is a little weaksauce IMO, but Daphne reports to her sister that “She seems like she really means it.” When Deacon asks questions, Mads replies that she wants to handle things on her own.

KEEP, KEEP, KEEP ME CLOSE | At the end of the hour, Scarlett plays that women’s clinic benefit she’d talked about with Alyssa last week, performing a sweet, lullaby-like ballad after announcing to the crowd that she’d miscarried. In the audience, Jessie tells Deacon she’s not going to sign with Highway 65 regardless of whether he wants her as an artist or not, because she wants to maintain some professional boundaries. I’m not really sure what she means by that, but whatever. She also meets Daphne and Maddie, and everyone instantly gets along.

Oh, and in a montage, we see Gunnar sadly drive out of town as Scarlett puts the baby blanket and booties in a decorative box bearing her daughter’s name: Amelia Rose.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Hit the comments!

1. JM says:

Finally. Some good news for Scarlett.

2. Long past caring says:

I just can’t anymore with Gunnar and Scarlett.

3. JM says:

Maddie would have sung that song terribly in comparison to Julliett. No offense to the actress, but she’s not as good with those type of vocals unless she’s performing a duet with her sister. Even then her sister out does her.

4. Elaine says:

What was the point of Scarletts arc? This Damien thing? This pregnancy thing? Nothing? Ok

5. Ben says:

I’m so sick of the mess they are making with the Gunnar/Scarlett endgame. At this point you just feel like there’s too much emotional baggage there to ever make it work, and it feels so false.

6. Angela Morris says:

I wish Juliette would grow up ! I want Scarlett and Gunter together !

• Chad says:

Who’s Gunter?

• Rita Kesey says:

I could watch Nashville every day I love that show but why did you have to kill Randa off ? And scarlett losing her baby girl I can relate keep this show alive. It’s my daily fix . Scarlett and Gunner should have a baby together but put a ring on her hand first.

7. Fan says:

I will not knock this miscarriage storyline because it is such a big soapy moment, but I agree that I did like that they did have the TV doc clear up the rumors about a quick knock will cause it to happen. I also like the conversation between Jesse and Scarlett over the word miscarriage. Yeah it was kind of clunky for her to show up with the bag but Deacon doesn’t handle women things and we see how Gunnar handles his stress. Of course I cried at Scarlett’s song, especially when I saw the baby name. Nashville still knows how to create some beautiful music.

8. Danielle says:

Why did they save this show just to destroy it?

• Sara says:

Exactly. It’s a hot mess. Had high hopes with the new producers, but even it’s worst season on ABC was better than what we’re seeing now.

• Carol says:

My feelings, exactly. I don’t think the show runners even bothered watching the past four years of this show. They have turned it upside down and inside out. Connie Britton’s departure really ruined this show. Am curious to know if viewership has gone down. It’s getting harder each week to want to tune in.

• Have been thinking this too. Should have just made episodes Connie was agreeing to do and end there with good note or not renew at all. They have basically messed all couples. And giving Deacon new love just months after Rayna died is making whole 4 years build up with 30 years history looking like it meant nothing :(

• Sheri says:

It’s awful. I have watched since day one and I hate what CMT has done with Nashville. They have turned it into such a car wreck. I can’t turn away but I hate every second of it.

• Monique Miranda, Los Angeles, CA says:

Really, let the wruter’s write more challenging story lines, ugh!

• Susan Ferguson says:

Because Life is messy sometime!

9. KS says:

Didn’t this show used to be occasionally fun? Now it’s all overly dramatic misery.

10. Zee says:

Why are the writers regressing juliets charater growth? Don’t they have stories to tell that will not portray her as her old insecure, scheming self?

11. CSM says:

Just wait until the first date

12. Ann A says:

I’m so sick of Scarlett that I didn’t even care last night. And I’ve suffered that kind of loss myself. They have made the character so miserable and unlike able that I’ve completely tuned out from her. Wish they would give this character the same treatment Avery & Will are getting and have HER miss episodes.

It can’t just be me ratings seem to fall every week this season so they are going wrong somewhere and this writing for Scarlett can’t be helping ?

13. Lani says:

I really miss the ridiculous Smash hysterics.

14. Sara says:

What a yawnfest this show has become. Full of teen angst, beta males (well, maybe except Deacon) and SJW’s.
    Zzzzzz

15. Alex says:

They really should cancel it altogether. It’s unwatchable.

16. Char says:

I still enjoy the show. However I want Gunner and Scarlett to move on and meet other people. I also want Deacon to begin dating.

17. Gayl says:

What is the name of the song Scarlett was singing I’d like to get it for someone I knoe

18. Margaret Maclean says:

Personally, i love the whole story line. One hundred percent, always!

19. Margaret Maclean says:

One hundred percent fan, of whole story line.

20. Boiler says:

I’ve enjoyed the season. I like Connie Britton but haven’t particularly missed her character. You people who come here to vilify the show, why the hell are you watching? Find something else to do.

21. Peggy Mcferrin says:

Contrary to what everyone is writing, I love this show. I do wish that Scarlett was happier and not so cold, but I do love the show. It sounds like I’m the only one.

22. francisca says:

my daughter is named Amelia Rose. So naturally, I love that they used that name for her baby. Even if it does make me sad that she lost her.

23. Shirley says:

I watch every episode faithfully. It is one of my favorites.

24. RB says:

Very touching & dramatic episode. Have missed the Rayna character but new writing is allowing viewers to see growth in the other characters which is very positive. We are seeing how people deal with their grief & its ups & downs. Glad that this serious subject is not being taken lightly. Kudos to the writers & actors.

25. Elaine says:

I think it would be way more interesting if Scarlett and Gunnar were in love and the Damien thing never happened and the baby was Gunnar’s.
    Then, with the miscarriage, they would have couple problems, because obviously it is something that affects you deeply.
    But no… they had to make a mess. I somply don’t understand Gunnar. Suddenly he became Scarletts puppy. The girl dumped him like he was nothing, sleep with other guy seconds after, get pregnant, then resents the other guy because he is not daddy material. Gosh

26. Pat Pelc says:

I am kind of over the whole Nashville drama. Scarlett is pathetic, juliette looks like she is heading down the same old same old road and Deacon and the whole Highway 65 group is a joke.

27. Mary says:

Boring, boring, boring! What did they do to this show???Thank God I saw the comments to confirm I’m not losing my mind! Please fix it! Get that whiny and boring Gunner/Scarlett off the show and fill it will with everybody else! Give some decent storylines about the music industry! They call themselves writers? C’mon, we commenters could do better than this crap! We know the actors can act and sing based on prior seasons. So…. That leaves crappy writing! Get new writers!

28. Marlene Lunny says:

This show was a love story between Rayna and Deacon. Killing off Rayna has killed the show. Only good actor on show were Rayna and Jeff now only Deacon left. the storyline is absolute rubbish and should be taken off air

29. Vanessa says:

It was ludicrous to have Maddie and Daphne ask Scarlett, obviously no longer pregnant at the benefit, how her baby was. A minor point, I know, but really only a blind person wouldn’t notice the difference.

30. abz says:

Nashville has been absolute crap since coming back from hiatus, but that song Scarlett sang at the end, brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautiful and heartbreaking.

Loved The writer’s line about being more heartbroken about losing a sock. I felt bad for Scarlett regarding the miscarriage but I’m not broken up about her break up with Gunnar at all. I’ve been over the two of them for several seasons now.

31. Deb Legs says:

Love, love, love me some Deacon. Scarlett is just beautiful too.

32. Jenn says:

Love that people are starting to speak up it’s amazing a show that so many people watch realize what the reality is and how it affects people who struggle through losses and infertility.

33. Rita Kesey says: