Fall TV Preview
Once Upon a Time Season 7 Cast

Once Upon a Time Season 7 Reset: Gabrielle Anwar, Devious Maids Alum, Reign Star Among 5 New Additions

ABC is putting a face to Once Upon a Time‘s Season 7 reset. Five faces, actually.

TVLine has learned that the Friday-bound fantasy drama is adding nearly a half-dozen new female cast members, most notably Burn Notice alum Gabrielle Anwar, Devious Maids vet Dania Ramirez and ex-Reign royal Adelaide Kane. Also boarding the rejiggered seventh season: Chicago Med‘s Mekia Cox and English actress Rose Reynolds (Poldark).

Details on the role each actress will be playing will be announced at Comic-Con a later date, but here are five clues you can chew on in the meantime: TVLine can confirm that Anwar and Ramirez will be full-fledged series regulars, while Kane, Cox and Reynolds are set to recur (at least initially).

The new blood infusion comes as Once boldly heads into uncharted narrative territory, down six key cast members including Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Emilie de Ravin, Jared Gilmore and Rebecca Mader. (Longtime Once stars Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue are staying put.)

As teed up in the Season 6 finale, Once Season 7 will revolve around a grown-up Henry (played by The Walking Dead‘s Andrew J. West) and his daughter Lucy (Jane the Virgin‘s Alison Fernandez). The official logline for the “reset” warns that “the residents of the Enchanted Forest face their greatest challenge yet” as Parrilla’s Evil Queen, O’Donoghue’s Captain Hook and Carlyle’s Rumplestiltskin join forces with Henry and Lucy “on an epic quest to once again bring hope to their world and ours. Along the way, fairy tale characters new and old search for true love, find adventure and once again take sides in the struggle of good against evil, as classic tales are once more twisted and reimagined.”

Once Upon a Time this fall shifts to Fridays at 8/7c; a premiere date has not yet been announced.

1. SamofSherwood says:

“Epic” there’s that word again, maybe stop with the hyperbole & have some substance, Once has not been “epic” in quite some time (& I’m a fan)

• JJ says:

Epic here is being used in its more traditional form meaning it relates to the deeds of heroic figures.

• James says:

There’s a lot of good epics the show coulduse as source materuals like the Iliad, ine of the greatest epics of all time.

2. MichaMainz says:

Argh! I hoped Gabrielle Anwar’ll be in the Librarian’s next season.

3. JIvy says:

One of those actresses looks like a Lana lookalike

• TJ says:

Adelaide Kane. She is gorgeous… does kind of look like Lana in that picture, though not quite as much normally. I loved her in Reign. I really wasn’t going to watch next season of OUaT but now that she is joining it I might have to tune in…

4. I’m glad to have Gabrielle Anwar on board, once upon a time she’ll make it interesting. 😊.

5. Len says:

I will missing Emma Swan/Jennifer Morris on! !!!. And also the Charming Family and the love story of Emma/Hook.
    Not really sure about the new season at all. Excitement is gone and there is a big hole that will be missing in the show

• Emma/Hook seemed forced, to me. I just never felt like they had that strong of a connection, though I liked both characters individually. To me, it felt like Adam and Eddy thought they needed to compensate Emma for all the problems Storybrooke brought her way. I never actually saw that she had chemistry with him, and would have much preferred Emma to have had no relationship than end up with Hook.

6. Shaun says:

Argh,Adelaide is too pretty,why did she have to join this train wreck?!

7. Love Adelaide so I’m excited to see her on Once and Dsina was good on Devious Maids.Csnt wait to see who they play.

8. LADY_in_MD says:

I for one am excited for the new season I’m sure I will get some crap for saying that but I don’t care I STILL love this show and will continue to watch until the end
    Also really want to know who is Lucy’s Mom????

• Martina says:

Same here! I really look forward to the new season. I’m kinda sick of all the negative comments….. Also I’m pretty sure Dania Ramirez is going to be Lucy’s mom. But which fairytale character she is…. That’s the big question. I kinda think she is “Elena of Avalor”. That’s a disney latina princess. Would fit the bill the best imo…..

• LADY_in_MD says:

Me too the negativity is getting to be way too much! I didn’t think of that but you are right she would be perfect for the casting of Elena I loved her on Devious Maids Still not over that cancellation

• Karen W says:

Yes, I have to agree with you. I am tired of the negativity and can’t believe how many people aren’t willing to give it a chance. Where is the “hope” that we should have as Oncers?

• Susan says:

Martina, I had the same thought- Lucy’s mom is Elena! I think we got one!

• Tina says:

I am excited to watch new season. Have been a massive fan from day one. Have loved each and every season. Can’t wait for new adventures!!

9. Stacey says:

I wasn’t going to watch the reboot, but now I have to reconsider since I love Adelaide Kane.

10. DebG says:

Cast members, Schmash members! They need different WRITERS! then I’ll watch again.

• Michelle says:

That made me laugh. It’s so true! The writing for this show has gone so far downhill at this point.

• LolaHaze says:

I couldn’t agree more. It seemed like the show runners and writers had a tight plan/narrative for series 1 and then made the subsequent series by putting plot ideas on a dart board and seeing what would hit. It’s more of a testament to the actors that they made the ridiculousness somewhat watchable. But because I am a glutton for punishment and a massive tv addict, I’ll likely watch this new season.

• ninergrl6 says:

Very true buuuut… I can’t turn my back on Colin & now Addy.

• Valencia says:

Agreed

11. David Bentley says:

I’ve watched Once apon a time from the beginning, but I’m afraid without the cast members that are exiting it will not survive…

• Martina says:

If that’s the case it’s only because people are not willing to give it a chance. And because firday evenings are not really a got slot to air.

12. TV Fanatic says:

So excited to see Adelaide join the cast! Loved her on Reign and can’t wait to see who she ends up playing!

13. Lysh says:

I’m going to guess Dania is Lucy’s mother. 5 women! Once was always good with strong, complex female characters no matter how off the rails this show has gotten. I’m still going to miss Jen/Emma, but looking forward to the new team.

14. Nick says:

Which one do we think is Henry’s baby mama?

• Martina says:

I think it’s Dania Ramirez, as she is the only latina actress in that list and since Henry is white, Lucy’s mother must be a Latina. Unless Lucy is adopted or the casting department is a bit sloppy. But even then, I bet Lucy’s mother is going to be a series regular. If it’s not Dania, then it’s Gabrielle Anwar imo.

• Look at Danny and his daughter, ex-wife, and son in Hawaii Five-O. Sometimes TV genetics take a back seat to casting.

• Martina says:

They almost always casted accordingly (except young/adult Lily). And the casted a very good actress that is latina for the new season so chances are Dania is going to play the mother.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Given all the flak they caught for making grown-up Lily white, I cannot imagine they would give Lucy anything but a decidedly Latina mother.

• Sometimes talent is too good to pass up but more often than not its just sloppy,lazy casting -casting Somone who dosent look like thier parents.Once has pretty spot on with the casting casting though and keeping ethnicity continuity though

15. One of these actresses is bound to be the little girl’s mom, I’m inclined to believe it’ll be one of the recurring and not one of the regulars. Based on that, I’m leaning towards it being Kane.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’d be a neat trick.

• Martina says:

Well they already said the love story between Henry and Lucy’s mum is an epic one similar to the Charmings, so I lean towards her mother beeing one of the two series regulars.

• My reasoning is that I believe finding the mom might be part of some epic quest Henry and Lucy embark on, hence my belief that she might be a recurring role rather than a regular one.

• Martina says:

She could be missing at present day, where they search for her but could still appear in the flashbacks. They still have to show how she and Henry fell in love and all that.

• I think that because Kane can pass for a teenager it’s less likely she’s going to be the mom. Of course they could always make it so she doesn’t age like they did with the rest of them. Still the actress in 26 in real life, Lucy has to be like 8 at least and she’s latina, Once has been pretty light on people of color being main characters.

My guess is by making it obvious that Lucy is latina and the obvious casting of Dania Ramirez who is 37 to Andrew J West’s 33, she’s the obvious choice for being the mom. Now producer might go another route but it would be in their best interest to not make an obviously latin child have 2 white parents.

16. iHeart says:

yeah I think most us are on the same boat, one of these women is Lucy’s mother

17. Sdtk says:

THIS IS A NONSENSE !! Mr Gold has always been a selfish. He has never cared about Henry and other people, so Mr Gold joining forces with Henry and Lucy to bring hope to their world and ours SOUNDS RIDICULOUS ! Ouat doesn´t need new Additions, what ouat needs is GOOD WRITERS ! They ruined good characters and always give us the same plot (memory loss, curses, not including hole plots)

18. Jill says:

So will Once be at comicon…?

• Adama hinted that will be but Thers no official word they will be yet and it’s a couple weeks away plus with tvline crossing out the comic con part of when the new charcters identities will be traveled makes me unsure.

• DebG says:

They will be at The D23 expo (The big Disney convention) in Anaheim next week. It may be a dress rehearsal for Comic Con.

• ninergrl6 says:

There WILL be a Once panel featuring Adam, Eddy, and Colin at D23 (Disney convention in Anaheim) the weekend before SDCC.

• ninergrl6 says:

Sorry for repeating DebG’s info. Didn’t see that before I posted. Maybe D23 will take the place SDCC for Once this year? I *think* D23 is usually after SDCC & it’s only every other year. Would they do both back-to-back weekends?

19. Iakovos says:

Hope this reset and time slot change give new life to the show. Surprised ABC did not go for more comedies Friday as a counter program move but ONCE once was a strong must-see show for me. I may give it a second chance.

20. Brandy says:

The only thing that keeps me watching at this point is Lana Parrilla. I wish she would of walked away cause her talent is immense.

21. Andrew says:

Am I the only one who thought of the Sanderson sisters (from Hocus Pocus) after seeing the photo in the article?

That would be AWESOME!

22. Jen says:

This screams jump the shark. Bye OUAT, you’ll be cancelled by the end of this season. Here’s hoping you can get all the originals that people actually care about back to wrap the show.

23. James says:

so Adelaide will be the third power rangers alum to join OUAT and the second from the RPM season, sweet.

24. kirads09 says:

Burn Notice alum Gabrielle Anwar – def got my attention there. Our Fiona!! YES!

25. grazelled says:

The new cast members are great additions so I’ll give it a try but we still have the same writers and producers from what I understand. Hope they have better writing and production planning for the reset.

26. Ryan says:

How and why is this show still on? ABC still meddling in their shows. There is not one thing I watch on that network anymore. How does that president still have a job?

• It’s on because it still makes money .duh.
      How is abc meddling in thier shows?All shows bring on new charcters .Jennifer,and Ginny,Josh CHOSE to leave-Jennifer to do other projects and not travel so much and have more time with loved ones.Ginny/Josh to be with thier small kids more and enrol the oldest in pre k.
      Why comment on a show you don’t watch?

27. I hope Gabrielle Anwar will be a villain and a witch. She would be great at it.

28. NP20 says:

Was worried about OUaT next season but am psyched to see Anwar, Ramirez and Kane next season

29. David Hess says:

Dania as Esmeralda, Mekia as Tiana, Adelaide as Violet(adult), Rose as Rose Red and Gabrielle as Morgan Le Day.

• Brandy says:

I don’t think Violet Is conning back as adult Vioket seeing as Adam debunked the Violet is Kucys mom theory saying Violet was only Henrrys first love and we’d get more into the love story between Henry and Lucys mom in s7.

30. ninergrl6 says:

I LOVE Addy from Reign so I’m kind of freaking out over this news.

31. Sandra L Scheid says:

Great show but an entire reboot in season 7? It should have ended on a high in season 6.

32. Rachel says:

Way too much change to fast. Don’t really know if I can hear to watch it

33. AKH says:

I’m going to posit:
    -Dania as Eleanor of Avalon and Lucy’s mother (who disappeared leaving Henry heartbroken and she doesn’t remember him because she crossed curse lines; a mother bear ala S1 Regina)
    -Gabrielle Anwar as (older) Emma- like Henry she escaped whatever new curse but they got separated, or fought over hope and became estranged
    -Mekia Cox as Sofia the First or Tiana- the new Ruby and Lucy’s mom’s closest friend
    -Adelaide Kane as a grown up Violet- Henry’s (possibly resentful) first love, maybe with some Morgana Le Fay to her now
    -Rose Reynolds as Henry’s (half)sister who doesn’t remember him but acts as a Mary Margaret figure (but is secretly super evil???)

• Martina says:

Agree with Dania beeing the mother/Elenor of Avalor. That’s my guess too.
      Don’t think Gabrielle Anwar plays an old Emma though. The hair color doesn’t match, hers is way to dark to be Emma. They almost always had pretty spot casting for young or adult bersions of an character. Some of them also going to be evil characters for sure. If Dania is the mother, don’t think she is going to be the evil one (though THAT would be one hell of a twist…). That leaves Gabrielle, the other series regular, beeing an evil character.
      I also think Adelaide is too young to be adult Violet. She is roughly the same age as Henry, who is said to be in his mid 30s at least.
      Apart from that, I would LOVE to see Tiana. But not sure they are doing this…. So no clue about which other characters those woman could play.

Also, currently they show kinda lacks men :D (3 men vs. 6 woman and one girl… Though it’s 3 starring men vs 3 starring woman and one starring girl. Hmmmm). Hope they will add some more recurring/starring male roles…

34. Dustin says:

I hope this is a flop this should have ended at season 6 it’s just the same old crap now just repeating itself

35. Don’t know if I will like a grown up Henry. we will see

36. Nichole Johnson says:

Show will have a huge hole without the Charmings….Miss Swan…and the kid. However so excited for Gabrielle have loved her since I was little. Love Adelaide. Was going to miss her after Reign got cancelled. Now I can be excited for Once…again!

37. KSav says:

Why is everyone so certain that Lucy is Latina? Just because she has a Latin sir name doesn’t mean she’ll be Latin on the show. Same goes for Dania. Come on Oncers this is ABC home of Erica Kane, Luke and Laura, Billy Clyde and Tyrone the pimp. Dania as Lucy’s mother is just boring. So excited MARY is joining the cast, I see her as a very evil witch, meaner than black fairy or Regina, perhaps the child of Robin and Wicked.

38. Roberta King says:

FRIDAYS?????? That’s the “kill a series” night! This is not a good sign.

• Brandy says:

While you have a point to a extent,Fri does have lower ratings expectations and some shows had good runs in Fri-Blue Bloods ,Hawaii 50,Ghost Whisperer& others have lasted more than season after moving to Fri.

• SamofSherwood says:

The scuttlebutt is that Robert Carlyle won’t do a season eight, even if there is one, I think it’s safe to say this is the last season regardless.

39. Regardless of all else: It says something about my viewing habits that neither the Devious Maids alum nor the one from Reign got my attention, but I had a major geek-out moment over Burn Notice’s Gabrielle Anwar!
    In my defense, Fiona was fabulous…

• SamofSherwood says:

I wonder if one of the casting directors for Once also did The Tudors, Colin O’Donoghue, Sara Bolger & now Gabrielle Anwar. I used to like Burn Notice too, no one messed with Fi 🙂

40. Joy says:

the show isn’t what it used to be. If I miss an episode, or two it really doesn’t matter to me. Can’t put my finger on what the problem is, but it doesn’t hold my interest like it used to. Probably the story lines go on forever, and Rumple is completely boring me now.

• SamofSherwood says:

I’m an avid watcher & I know what you mean, it’s lost its sparkle a bit, the plot holes get to me but there is enough I like to just meh! on that.

41. Susan says:

Driving me crazy! Little bits of info that we can’t do much with! Can’t wait until fall!

42. A says:

Stopped watching OUAT quite some time ago. Instead I spend my Sunday nights in the winter season watching a much more fun and lighthearted magical show -The Librarians.

43. ninergrl6 says:

Will TVLine have anyone covering the OUAT panel with Adam, Eddy, and Colin at D23 Expo next Sat? (If not, I volunteer as tribute 🙋🏻)

44. Travis says:

When is once upon a time comeing back on tv?

45. peika says:

Moving to Friday night is the kiss of death for a show. Beware

46. KSav says:

Just read that Dania will play Cinderella. That’s my favorite story and I think their going to make an awesome version with Henry as Prince Charming Jr!