Exclusive
The X-Files Season 11

The X-Files Season 11 Writers Revealed: Who's Back? Who's Missing?

The gang’s (almost all) back together.

X-Files creator Chris Carter has finalized the writers room for the series’ forthcoming 10-episode 11th season, and, like last year’s revival (aka Season 10), it’s stacked with franchise vets.

Most notably, Carter will once again reunite with former producers Glen Morgan, Darin Morgan and James Wong, each of whom were responsible for writing and directing one of Season 10’s six episodes. (Darin Morgan’s installment, “Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster,” was widely viewed as the revival’s strongest outing.)

The quartet will be joined by relative newcomers Gabe Rotter (who served as a writers assistant on Season 9), Benjamin Van Allen (a writers assistant on Season 10) and Brad Follmer (Carter’s personal assistant during Season 8 and 9, and not to be confused with the character Brad Follmer, played by Cary Elwes in Season 9).

It’s not clear how many episodes each of the seven writers will be personally responsible for, but it’s probably safe to say that Carter will again preside over the premiere and the finale.

Fans hoping that Season 11 would mark the return of two other X-Files behind-the-scenes MVPs — former scribes Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz — are sadly out of luck. Neither the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul creator nor the ex-Man in the High Castle showrunner will be involved in Season 11.

Production on Season 11 begins later this summer ahead of an early 2018 launch.

1. Ed says:

Exciting, but I actually kinda wish Carter weren’t writing any of them and was sticking to overseeing the room. He’s obviously a great storyteller, but the episodes he writers tend to be the weaker ones (especially for the last season).

2. Oh very nervous. Chris Carter has become George Lucas I fear.

3. Carolyn says:

I feel like there was a missed opportunity to end this headline “Who tells the story”.. but okay.

4. darkangel200 says:

The episodes that Carter wrote were dreadful. Wish he’s step back as writer and let Darin Morgan write more episodes.

• Boris Albunio says:

Except that Darin Morgan doesn’t want to write more episodes because he doesn’t have the prolific writing skills of Chris Carter, who wrote many more legendary episodes than Darin, who actually kinds of hate writing in general, and that’s exactly why he has only written seven stories in 23 years.

5. Donna says:

Carter presumably gets two eps and elevates his own personal assistant? UGH. The worst thing about The X-Files now is without a doubt Chris Carter. Someone needs to take away his keys. It’s time.

6. Steven says:

I just hope they move the story along better this season. I want to meet Mulder and Scully’s son!

7. Lysh says:

I love the original series, but the new episodes were super disappointing. And I know I’m going to watch these with a lot of hope. At the least they could get Gillian a better wig and tell her to not sound like she’s been smoking too much. And don’t promise the Lone Gunmen and give us two seconds of them. I’m just going to send CC some links to old TXF articles on TVLine so he can read the comments section and keep in mind the criticisms. I want to believe it’ll be good.

8. Anne says:

Uggggggg Chris Carter. He’s super creative and should definitely be in charge of the creative direction of the show – but for the love of everything weird and unexplained, stop writing the episodes.

9. Chris Carter shouldn’t write any. In fact, the new mythology that they established in the last season was so weak that I’d like to see them move away from it. I know that we need some alien episodes, but the hardcore mythology was dead before the original run of the show ended. They’ve just been kicking its corpse for seasons now.
    I was hoping to see a mix of vets and writers who are familiar to us, but new to the X-Files. People who grew up with the old show and were inspired by it. What would Eric Kripke do with an X-Files episode, for example?

10. Dank says:

I agree a better story line is needed to keep my interest, last season was lacking the pizzazz!

11. shagamu says:

That’s a shame, I was hoping Spotnitz would be available now that he left The Man in the High Castle. What’s he working on now?

12. Iris says:

As long as I get Mulder and Scully, tons of Mulder and Scully, and their characters aren’t ruined, and the trust/respect between them aren’t ruined, I’ll be A-OK. My major beef with S10 is what they did to Reyes, but I hope for a correction over the course of S11.
    I won’t defend the writing of the last season premiere for example. But oh boy, the misfire of the Twin Peaks revival made me appreciate even more the fact that Chris Carter, for better or for worse, is still telling Mulder and Scully’s story.

• Donna says:

Last season we got Mulder and we got Scully, but we got very little Mulder AND Scully. Didn’t you notice? Only 6 eps and Mulder was in the season finale for maybe 5 minutes!

• kmw says:

I am glad you are still a fan of Chris Carter’s writing but really hoping their ” characters aren’t ruined” ? Too late. Breaking them up as a couple is one thing but Carter has already ruined them. That Mulder is still obsessed over his sister( which I could have sworn he had let that go in season 7) and that after all the years Scully has known Mulder that she would throw in the towel and walk away from him is nonsense. Add in Carter’s known desire to ever forget he paired them ( he said FOX made him get them together) and the whole William debacle( we shall see what he does with him if anything) and Carter’s story completely veering from what he said he was going to do tells me he never knew ever where the X-Files WAS going. This shows creator needs to step away and let the Morgans run it and or find a way to get Spotnitz back. Vince Gilligan is and will forever be a long shot to ever do X-Files again I realize The X-Files is a brand FOX needs at the moment but like Bones they need to let it go an move on. It will never again be what it once was. My biggest beef with this upcoming season is all the people Carter is bringing from what is arguably their worst season( 9) on to help him produce this season. And the X-Files is getting slightly more episodes which wont necessarily be a good thing especially if Mulder and Scully didn’t have lots of scenes together in last season. like I said in an earlier post I hope I am wrong and Carter will give Mulder and Scully and X-Files fans a good story

• AnnieM says:

Since the ‘invasion/bees/black oil/ etc, etc, etc’ parts of the X-Files ongoing story went off the rails during it’s original run, I realized that Chris Carter was just a guy who got lucky with one good idea. He had no idea where to go or what to do with the ‘mythology’ part of the show. It’s like he kept throwing different things at it, hoping something would stick and make sense.

13. Cassie says:

Chris needs to recuse himself from the writing room. And I want a clear, relatively happy ending this time. No more cliffhangers or maybes. I got into XF almost 20 years ago, and it’s my all time favorite show. I just want a resolution with which I can live.

14. kmw says:

How unfortunate that one Chris Carter is EVEN helming ANY of their episodes and two that his ” help” is partly from their worst season( 9). I recognize that getting those other names was highly unlikely but just having the Morgan’s their wont help especially if this ends up being the last of what they do. Some creators leaving their shows hurt( Bones and Hart Hanson being one of them) but Chris Carter lost vision of his show long ago and he needs to NOT helm nor write any more episodes. I hope I am wrong and he has something good in store for fans

15. jacqueline barela says:

damn soooooo many folka are excited…..I hope this just is not a tease…..and we get many more seasons…I love these actors…..

16. Lynn says:

This is still my all time favorite show, except the last two seasons, haven’t watched an episode from those seasons since they aired. Most people must agree with me since when I’ve watched the show in syndication they stop with season 7, lol. I’ll give Carter credit, he obviously created the show, he also fought for Gillian Anderson as the network didn’t want her. He also has never tried to reboot the show without Anderson and Duchovny but as just about everyone who has commented has said he needs to stop writing episodes and giving us fake drama by breaking Mulder and Scully up. I’m concerned about this season now with these unknown writers, especially being from the last two seasons. Just let Damarion Morgan write most of it, he was always their best writer besides Vince Gilligan.

• SamFile says:

I actually really love season 8. Dogget is a great character and Robert Patrick did a stellar job. The episodes are surprisingly good too, better than I remembered. No one could save the mess that was season 9 though.

17. filip says:

I want to see back John Doggett. In season 10 there was Annabeth Gish and if is this the last season, so why no bring back Dogett.

18. ludivine Vernet says:

Love X Files but I agree with everyone below…Dear Chris you should read this…

19. Please,get Scully a better wig,one that resembles the style that made her famous,this one is just to ugly.but she is still not replaceable either is david.give Skinner more air time.

20. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Sorry, C.C., but I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Step away from the keyboard and just oversee the big picture. You ARE the Weakest Link.

21. alex potter says:

In a perfect world Vince Gilligan would be the show runner

22. AnnieM says:

I’d be happy to see some writing by David Duchovny.

23. Irish says:

Thanks for that pic of David by Kim Manner’s “headstone”. RIP Kim – a fabulous director gone way too soon. :(

24. reddkl says:

I’ll not complain about the writers, stories, etc. I’m just glad some new X-Files are coming. Not that many shows have affected me, but this is one of the few and I appreciate it no matter what happens.