Fall TV Preview
The Brave NBC Preview

Fall TV First Impression: The Brave

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including CBS’ S.W.A.T. reboot, the maiden space voyage of Fox’s Orville and The CW’s soapy new Dynasty. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | NBC’s The Brave (Mondays at 10/9c, premiere date TBA)

THE COMPETITION | CBS’ Scorpion and ABC’s The Good Doctor (new)

RELATED Read Our First Impressions of ABC’s Ten Days in the Valley, CBS’ S.W.A.T., The CW’s Dynasty and More

THE CAST | Mike Vogel (Under the Dome), Anne Heche (Men in Trees), Demetrius Grosse (Banshee), Sofia Pernas (Jane the Virgin), Natacha Karam, Noah Mills (2 Broke Girls), Hadi Tabbal and Tate Ellington (Quantico)

THE SET-UP | Vogel leads a Special Ops team (comprised of Grosse, Karam, Mills and Tabbal), while Heche calls the shots from D.C.

RELATED Fall TV Poll: Which New Shows Are YOU Most Looking Forward To?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | You had to twist my arm to press play on this one; after watching SEAL Team, Valor and S.W.A.T. in quick succession, I had OD’d on Elite People Doing Elite Things. (I may have even told Andy Swift at one point to keep his head on a swivel and watch my six. Copy that!) But I must say, The Brave (fka For God and Country) is well-produced, the tactical operations are clever and the cast is impressively diverse in a way that makes their opening undercover maneuvers in Syria rather believable. (Conversely, see Michael Scofield and “Whip” scampering around Yemen completely unchecked.)

Among the ensemble, Vogel has a role that suits him to a tee, Grosse I find to be always engaging and Karam (as a plucky sniper named “Jaz”) is a real find. What’s interesting here is that the cast is poised to always be geographically divided, with Heche (whose DIA honcho suffered a Recent Personal Tragedy, we are repeatedly reminded), Pernas and Ellington manning the strategic ops hub while the others trot the globe. Oh, one last thing: the pilot has the strangest ending.

RELATED Fall TV Schedule: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Can The Brave steal eyeballs from those who appreciate Scorpion‘s derring-do but have grown weary of its cartooniness? With ABC also trying out a newbie, many viewers are up for grabs, though The Brave may be missing the “noisy hook” that helped time slot predecessors Revolution (the lights went out!), The Blacklist (James Spader!), Blindspot (naked in a duffel!) and Timeless (time travel!) get out of the gate — especially in a fall season that is well-armed with military dramas.

Watch the trailer for The Brave, then vote in our poll below.

1. Al says:

This looks pretty boring and dull unfortunately

2. Susie says:

zzzzzzz… but Mike Vogel sure is pretty.

3. TV Is My Pacifier says:

I agree about Mike Vogel being pretty, as Susie commented, but honestly, this is one of my favorites of the pilots I’ve seen so far. The characters are fun, they interact well together, and I just was left wanting more, more, more!

4. Billy meacham says:

I’ll give it at least 2 episodes it’s looks ok fron the trailer.

5. M3rc_Nate says:

I just watched the trailer for the first time and I would honestly expect this to be on TNT or USA, not a network channel, especially not NBC. I am extremely happy to see they ditched their over-saturated color palate for a more real-to-life color palate.
    People on here saying it looks boring, but to me that is sorta a pleasant surprise. Usually this would be filled with melodrama and soapyness. There would be an against regulations relationship, there would be a ton of military wives drama, there would be a love triangle or affair, all that stuff I can’t stand. This looks classy and I really appreciate that.

6. Lyndy says:

I will give it 3 episodes….

7. meatwad says:

i liked this trailer over Seal team so i’ll definitely be giving it a chance

8. GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

I won’t be watching live as that is reserved for Scorpion on Monday night’s but I will definitely give it a few eps of DVR space to hook me in.

9. kmw says:

I hope it can succeed and probably will for awhile but we shall see. Lots of military dramas to choose from this season

10. Gospino says:

Looks like more generic junk.

11. MMD says:

“I had OD’d on Elite People Doing Elite Things. (I may have even told Andy Swift at one point to keep his head on a swivel and watch my six. Copy that!)”

Matt your quote above was the only thing that even sounded vaguely interesting about this show and made me giggle. The new season is looking very bleak for me with only a couple of shows that I’m vaguely interested in even giving a look at.

12. Matt, how you would rate the various military/police pilots that you have screened thus far from best to worst?

13. Emily says:

I’ll definitely be adding this one to the DVR.

14. btm says:

Looks good. Strong cast. Is there a chance that one or more of the suddenly green-lit military/armed police shows can’t distinguish itself from the herd this fall? Certainly. I’ve no idea how much this sort of thing matters, but the show’s title is awful.
    Not sure NBC is the ideal home for it. From the short trailer, though, I liked this one.

15. Ally Oop says:

Here’s a question: Is this drama more serial or procedural in nature?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Based off one (1) episode? I will guess mainly procedural…? Though that strange ending suggests at least one ongoing storyline. (Plus, I think for it to gain any buzz, they will need to add moles and mysteries etc.)

16. Katherine215 says:

Of all the Elite People Doing Elite Things shows, this is the one I’m most looking forward to. But I agree with some others, this season of TV is about as blah as it comes for me.

17. Corky says:

Nothing will pull me away from Scorpion.

18. Curious says:

I’m looking for something new to watch in this time period so I will certainly give this one a try: 2-3 episodes DVR’ed……….. [everything I watch is DVR’ed].

19. Chelce says:

This seems similar to Strike Back from a few years ago. If it’s half as good as that, then I’m a fan.