Exclusive
The Originals Spinoff

The Originals Season 5 Twist Could Set the Stage for Another Spinoff

Warning: This article contains a major spoiler from The Originals‘ upcoming fourth season finale. Proceed at your own risk!

Hope Mikaelson is about to hit another growth spurt.

Though neither The CW nor Warner Bros. TV are commenting, sources confirm to TVLine that The Originals is bracing for a significant time jump, setting the stage for a much older Hope — think late teens — to be introduced in Season 5. The time jump could arrive as soon as the June 23 season finale (The CW, 8/7c); casting for the “new” role, currently being portrayed by the phenomenal Summer Fontana, is now underway.

We also hear there’s potential for adult Hope to snag her own spinoff, though neither The CW nor Warner Bros. TV would comment on that either. Of course, if Hope does end up at the center of a third series in the Vampire Diaries universe, it would be sort of like a prophecy coming to fruition — albeit one foretold by executive producer Julie Plec.

“I think there are future shows down the line that can be spawned out of this world and could tell good stories,” Plec told TVLine back in March while discussing the letter Klaus sent to Caroline in the series finale of The Vampire Diaries. “It’s a hope for the future if nothing else.”

As for what else the future might hold for Hope, Plec reminded TVLine that “the idea of [Caroline and Alaric’s] school as a safe haven for young supernatural beings certainly has a lot of relevance for Hope,” leading many viewers — including the one currently typing this — to believe that Hope will relocate from New Orleans to Mystic Falls by the end of the season.

What are your thoughts on Hope time-jumping her way to a potential spinoff? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Gilded Lady says:

I’m down for a time jump. It’d help flesh her out as a character. I’m just weary as to HOW they do the jump- I’d be down for them getting a decade of peace.

• Fabrizia says:

Since this season finale was possibly a series finale I think they will be at peace for a decade. This is what i would have done (another time jump) if I were in charge of the show so good choice, but enought with the spin off delusions. The show is low rated as it is and show come with an end in sight. I am fine with season 5 being the last one.

• Mely says:

agree honestly im surprised it got a season 5 i love the show but im prepared for the end. One last season could tie up the show nicely if the writers don’t screw up but since they always do i don’t have high hopes

• Erick Voshel says:

I sure hope it isn’t the last season. I hope it runs as long as Supernatural.

• Lisa G says:

The show is perfect the writers are amazing the show can go all kinds of ways so to drop this as as a series finale would be a big mistake they’ll just make another show like it and the ratings will go up so why fix something that’s not broken it’s an amazing show

2. ggny says:

You dont really spinoff from a show when it’s ratings are at a all time low. I doubt it happens

• Wordsmith says:

You do when it’s a brand that you want to preserve. Think of all the CSI and Law and Order offshoots that outlived their flagships.

• Those shows weren’t getting 0.2-0.3s.
        Plus CWs new brand is supheros and Dramadies and they’re getting rid of those shows that aren’t.
        The vamp fad is over too.
        Also CW or the cast don’t give a rats behind about TO-no promotion for two seasons now,mived to Fri,mived to midseason,mived all over the schedule every season ect.

• RenegadeTimelord says:

Wow, Brandy! Do you memorise your comments yourself or just copy and paste, because you never stop repeating the same ‘facts’ do you? How many times did I see you use the above reasoning to explain why there would be no fifth season of The Originals, here and other places online? Well, think again, because it got renewed.

Oh, and the vampire fad isn’t over. It was never a fad. There have been vampire series and movies in production almost continuously for as long as I can remember. There are new ones in production right now. Don’t count out the chances of a third TVD show happening just yet. You wouldn’t want to be wrong again, would you?

• Daniel Nicks says:

Althoughthis is my favorite show on the cw. I have to agree with Brandy. The only reason they keep this show is because of julie. Shes been apart of cw since it first became cw. Its the lowest rated show on the network besides those comedies and they won awards like golden globes. Riverdale is low rated but gets tons of viewers on the app and cable and dvr. Can’t say the same for the originals. No spinoff. It took them weeks after everything else was renewed to renew the originals. They want superheroes and realistic dramas now apparently.

• Brandy says:

🙄Camps were a dad -that’s why Teillight and VD did so well.That fad has since passed.TO got renewed got only cause most other dwcshows were its its 0.2-0.4 range and the news shows in fall flipped and RD underperformed ratings wise.TO was very lucky to get renewed and based on CWs pattern of four seasons 79-80 Rousude and fine for low rates shows,it wasn’t far fetched to predicted TO cancellation especially as it films in the US which is more exspensive thN in Candada like most other CW shows.And as I said CW is moving in a direction of thinning out shows that aren’t superheroes or quirky dramdies now

• Hallie says:

The originals is in the same boat as all of the CW shows that are not a superhero show their ratings are also low because of the day of the week they are on Riverdale for a new show isn’t doing all that better then the originals and zombie is doing less then the originals but all the shows are around the same place. The reason the originals were not renewed when most of the winter line up was is because the show hadn’t even started airing yet zombie also didn’t renew until then as well. If you payed attention all the shows had at least 5 episodes before they were renewed which is also what the originals had when they were so stop looking for lame excuses.
            As for the spin off i doubt that will occur the school and hope is an interesting concept but without the mikelsons or MF gang there to get fans to watch i don’t see much chance of that more then likely they are aging hope to give her storylines that will be incorporated into TO, the spin off idea was what JP would have pitch in the event there wasn’t another season but that show was also suppose to include both caroline and klaus not just hope but now the show is returning it will occur on the originals

• Leah says:

While I don’t think another spin off will happen, It isn’t actually the lowest rated. The 100, iZombe, Riverdale, Jane, CeG all take that honor

• RenegadeTimelord says:

Yeah, Brandy, I’ve seen you saying all of that multiple times too. Still doesn’t make it entirely true. But keep on repeating yourself.

Just to clarify though, vampires were not a fad. Twilight was a fad. And an absolutely terrible, soul destroying blemish, now permanently tacked on to vampire mythology. Vampires in general though? Not so much. Not unless you consider decades worth of television shows to be fad worthy. Just because one awful movie series starts getting in all the newspapers, that doesn’t change the fact that the genre itself had been around almost as long as television itself. Vampires television shows will be around forever and I hope that the TVD franchise sticks around too, because it’s been a worthy addition. Unlike Sparkly Vampires: The Movies.

• Spikenalabama says:

Am I the only one that has a hard time reading Brandy’s comments?

• Actually the Vamp Fad is not over. Heard of Shadowhunters? Very good show. Also, TVD scored so high with so many season a new spinoff from that would be warranted and great,

• Temperance says:

As sales of supernatural stories, and supernatural romance in particular, are higher than ever, the ‘vampire fad’ is certainly not over by any means. You mistake your short-attention span for fact. Without any doubt, a school of supernatural creatures would probably do quite well (if written well). It’s very CW.

• Hallie says:

perhaps but it couldn’t be just about hope she isn’t popular or that liked for fans to tune in so they would have to add some fan favourites for that to happen

• Fabrizia says:

No it would not. Unoriginal idea that has been done a million times, Plec sounds delusional. The Originals is done next summer.

• Kennedy king says:

I think a time jump would be good and I hope they do one.But for it to happen they have to do good with this season of the originals first ,then move on to future opportunities for spinoffs. Also in the future season the should bring Caroline back because her and klaus have great chemistry.

• Lisa G says:

Would love to see Caroline and Klaus together there was talk about that and it never happened

• lol says:

Lost boys confirmed for fall. do research before trying to spew out stuff.

• Hallie says:

TVD/TO is not CSI or Law and Order

• Traciwaltersxo says:

Ratings are so 2000. All ratings r lower each year as more people cut the cord. Streaming services r not measured. CW even launched a free app for all their tv shows. No cable subscription or sign in required. Being stuck on live ratings is like being Blockbuster in a Netflix world.

• Anne says:

Beautifully said

• RenegadeTimelord says:

Exactly this. Live ratings are going to mean very little in just a few years time when the majority of the networks are struggling to get what were once considered CW level numbers. Times are a’changing.

• Ram510 says:

YAASSS!! Love the Blockbuster analogy

• Jbj says:

That’s an excellent point highlighted by The CWs continued support of The CW Seed by way of new content, and their decision to wrap up cancelled series online. Moreover, experienced showrunners and actors have been willing to participate. Rob Thomas created that Veronica Mars spin-off with Ryan Hansen (and many cast cameos) before the Veronica Mars movie was produced. So, even if The CW decided it didn’t have room for an Originals spin-off on-air, it would be a viable flagship for their streaming services a la The Good Fight and CBS All Access (on which it could co-air commercial free, since CBS is a parent company and/or on Netflix through its streaming license deal with The CW).

• Vince says:

WB shows will have a set expectation since this one will be. Premiering with a 0.3 for a WB show is only doable if they could a deal like Riverdale with Netflix. If they can’t then they’ll be axed. Fall shows also have more expectations than midseason ones.

• Gospino says:

Lol, says someone who clearly does not understand how the business works at all.

• KLS says:

Um, not totally accurate. Yes, same day ratings are going down. Yes, streaming services ARE measured (just not totally reported to the general public). ALMOST all networks have free apps for their TV shows (Hallmark, for one doesn’t). YES, you do need a cable subscription for some SHOWS. Each one is different.
        I cut the cord months ago, so I know what you can and cannot access and I use an iPad so everything is about apps for me.
        Most of The CW’s show, for example, have a stack of 5 episodes available for free. Usually it’s the last 3 aired and then the first 2 of the current season. The ones in the middle are not available in their app, mostly, you have to go to Netflix. Every show on every network has a different setup.
        NBC’s app and shows are different, for example. You have to have a subscription for Shades of Blue, but not for Taken. USA, you can’t see Colony or Queen of the South at all. You can get a 3 episode trial per network, though. AMC, has a few episodes for free, but not all.
        So, while you can access a lot of shows on multiple networks for free, there are still a lot you can’t see unless you subscribe (especially if you want to see shows beyond the stack).
        All of this is useless unless you have a high-speed Internet connection, and belive it or not, some people, like my neighbor, still don’t and can only get dial-up!

3. Bwhit says:

It’s kinda bittersweet because Summer is fantastic in my opinion. She has great chemistry with the adult cast especially Joseph Morgan. Guess we will have to see how they set it up!

• "A" says:

Hopefully ( pun intended ) Summer will remain on the show in season five as 14/15/16 year old Hope’s flashbacks, when she was 8 though 11.

• Stacey says:

I know, I love Summer too! She’s an amazing actress, such a sweet kid!

• Lucy says:

Summer’s great but they are also limited on what they can do with Hope because Summer is a child. They only have a limited amount of time they can use her. One option would be to have her offscreen at the school, then shift away from the focus on Hope and go back to the initial supernatural politics they had in S1 and not make it about everyone after Hope. Clearly, they don’t want to do that, they want to continue it to be about Hope and her being their shot at redemption so the only other option is a time jump so they have a bit more leeway with what they can do with Hope because they can either cast a teen or a young adult.

• lori parker says:

Omg yes! I love this actress, she is perfect for the show. I am definitely down with a spin off and a few more seasons of TO. I just got into this show last season. So I streamed the entire first 3 seasons! It’s dumb to only count live viewers, some of us work nights and weekends and have no choice but to dvr it!

4. Dominique says:

i think that’s kinda lame. summer is a wonderful little actress and i think hope is exactly the right age. if a teenage/adolescent hope would be featured in the series, i’m worried the focus will be all on her. it also means some of the main/supporting characters wouldn’t be able to appear due to the age difference, unless they plan on constantly using make up to make them look older.
    i don’t know… not a fan of this.

• Jbj says:

You seem to be forgetting that almost all of the other characters are immortal, so a time jump isn’t supposed to affect their appearance.

• Fabrizia says:

Only Freya and Keelin, if the latter doesn’t become an hybrid which is highly possible. Freya can wear her hair differently and change her style. Vincent isn’t really needed at this point and I think he may die facing the Hollow.

5. Riana says:

How hilarious would it be if they cast Mackenzie foy as hope?

6. Wordsmith says:

The only slightly awkward part of doing a decade+ time jump and a crossover with the school would be that Alaric would then be in his early fifties, unlike all of the other adult characters, who don’t age.

7. Leah says:

Dude you gotta let that “potential spinoff” stuff go lol. That was JP talking up something we all know will never happen just in case both shows died this year. If the ratings were great then yeah we’d have a conversation but once TO ends the tvd universe is done.

8. Ella says:

I’m down for an age up. They don’t really seem to know how to write kids and I mostly feel sorry for Hope when she ends up wandering around NOLA and getting posessessed because no one can be bothered to hire a nanny. It’all be less ridiculous when she saves the day as a teen.

• Jane says:

To be fair not even Mary Poppins could’ve stoped the hollow as far as nannies go, but yes, it was ridiculous they just left one “weapon” that can kill the hollow without any protection whatsoever

9. JP says:

I can’t believe they’d consider a spin-off from such a low rated show…I mean..what kind of lame rating would the new show have? I don’t see this happening.

10. MDEP says:

Yes please, especially if Alaric and Caroline are in it.

11. Tina says:

I’m only here for Klaus. Jomo is the only reason I stick around. I wish her luck if another spin off happens but my journey ends when Joesph bounces.

12. Lucy says:

Summer is great, but Hope does feel like a plot device at the moment, the jump could see Hope as more of a character. The writers have also stated it’s a New Orleans show and everything this season feels like it ends with then splitting up and leaving New Orleans. This time jump would allow them to realistically return to New Orleans as opposed to trying to leave and coming back every few months. Also, it’s would be nice to see that they experience this period of rest.
    By the sound of things, they’ll want a teenage Hope so time jump could range from 7-9 years old – especially if they get Caroline to appear, they’ll want both the twins to be at a good age for similar, mature/teen storylines. I can see hope being between 15-17 while the twins are 13-15.

While I’m all for the school, I don’t want it to be a big fixture of the show so an older teen Hope can fix this issue. I think it’s important though that Hope does not take over the show. This is still a show about The Original Vampires and Hybrid – that is the reason why it happened. If Hope surprisingly get’s her own show, then she has that, but I think it’s important to utilise Klaus, Elijah, Kol and Rebekah since they are playing immortal beings and the actors are aging. I feel like S5 could definitely be the last season even though I feel like this show has another season in it left to go up to S6.

• Fabrizia says:

I don’t think they will leave again. They did these past 5 years and we saw how things went. they are here to stay.

13. Sarah G says:

Hattttttte that they’re doing this, imo it’s a really awful idea – I’m really not down for ANOTHER time-jump esp not such a big one. IDEK why this has caused such a strong reaction in me but I’m pretty sure they just instantly lost me as a viewer with this??? I felt all interest in what happens next fizzle out on me just reading about this. Shame. Tho I guess it doesn’t matter much, bc potentially spinning Hope off basically feels like confirmation TO is done after S5 (bc imo it just feels like a ‘we know this show is done, let’s hail mary an attempt to keep the overall brand/franchise going’), so I guess they’ll manage without me for those 13 eps. Jeez, this is disappointing. But thx for the scoop/forewarning tho, Andy.

• Fabrizia says:

IDoEK why this has caused such a strong reaction: you need to adjust your meds.
      Why would you be against this? They can’t do much with hope as long as she is a child and a time jump with characters that have already lived a lifetime and don’t age is no big deal. If anything it would show how/if Klaus will be changed by paternity since he just barely started, Hayley and Elijah being a solid couple and possibly married, Freya having also matured with Keelin and maybe they want a child?

14. Joan says:

Would like to see spin off.

15. lee says:

I would like to see a spin off… but I would have been ok with it being a backdoor pilot for the SERIES finale.
    Like a Grimm sorta time jump wherr you see Hope arriving at the school run by Caroline.
    Then you could get a new show in the vein of X-Men school for special kids and all the chaos and drama with that

16. Jane says:

Time jump probably has nothing to do with a potential spin off from a low rated spin off of a cancelled show. Time jump might be purely for a nice ending for S04, maybe Klaus is looking at Hope graduating from the magic school, “and he smiles…” (spoiler)
    I’m happy all kids turned teens for S05, new age, new stories. I wonder how Klaus will react if Hope brings home a boy or a girl. And with kids grown up, Caroline and Klaus won’t spend so much time with Ric & Hayley (can they be a potential “healthy” alternative for Haylijah JP has in mind?). Klaroline can finally reunite, travel the world and vamp forever.

17. RichieS says:

So if the current Hope does join the Alaric twins in Mystic Falls will they make it like a young Hogwarts? Could we have a Daniel Radcliffe guest shot as a visiting warlock prof?

18. Barbara Chesnik says:

I love this show. And anything that brings back Alaric is a plus.

19. Katie says:

A decade or so time jump to see an older Hope? Count me in! It would be interesting to see 15/16 year old Hope dealing with being a “supernatural” teen along with dealing with the normal adolescent angst and her being more in control of her powers. Even if they don’t do a spin-off with Hope going to Alaric’s/Caroline’s school, she could still be waiting in the wings. Hope could come home to visit the family, a problem could come up in Mystic Falls where they go to help protect Hope (along with the twins and any other students) etc. Can you imagine Klaus’ horror at his “sweetheart” dating a boy? That would be worth the price of admission! Ah, I can see the murderous implications now.. LOL! An adult Hope would be just as cool. As long as they do it right and they get the perfect actress to play a teenage or an adult Hope. The only downside is that I would miss the phenomenal little spitfire Summer Fontana. She is just too good. I’m looking forward to these last two episodes of the season and what they’ll bring to the table for Season 5 next year!

20. BG says:

No more spinoffs. Let this cursed universe die.

21. Doreen Tooks says:

Hope will do well at the school. I believe Hope can protect herself

22. Desiree Brackin says:

I just want Klaus and Caroline to end up together before the show ends..and I Rebecca and Marcel’s together.

23. Angelfan says:

Boo to the time jump. Keep the fantastic little actress.

24. bluesman3535 says:

Turn this into not the Charmed reboot.

25. bluesman3535 says:

Turn this into the Charmed reboot.

26. Vince says:

Nice try Andy but shows that got their spin-off on CW were not pulling those dreadful numbers. TO have been dropped in most interenational countries. There’s no international revenue to speak of. It wasn’t able to peak as high as TVD.

27. osaro rechab says:

I would have really loved seeing the process of hopes growth but I think the time jump will be good for the show as it help reduce many anticipations.

28. I don’t care what anybody says, The Originals is a great show with excellent actors and actresses, and if a spin off were to occur, I feel it would be a Teen Drama involving Hope. I know I would watch it depending on who the character is who plays the part. Originals are so much better than TVD. I love the entire Mikelson family and vampire movies are not out, they will always be around as lots of people like this type of show. I for one love it! Lots of us like scary movies as well, but this is such a great show, not actually a “scary” show, as it has so much drama, action, and a great storyline. Looking forward to anything involving vampires, witches, werewolves, etc. with great actors and storyline.

29. zaagaad says:

after great two season it seems TO got creative block in writter room. thw main idea still ok but show failed to presenting those” OK” storyline in our small screen . so many story be told by our characters not because we’ve saw it . this is sign of lazy writting. So writing departement need refreshment here. and about spin off , how about The Rebekah ? we’ve already had amazing claire holt . her character also seem intriguing. Hope or another chaaracter wekcome to come by ;)

30. einat162 says:

*facepalm*

(The CW really should give Forever a 2nd season instead of building a spin off over a spin off)

31. einat162 says:

*facepalm*

(The CW really should pick up Forever into a 2nd season than making a spin off over a spin off ).

32. SamofSherwood says:

*Sigh* really? flogging dead vampires spring to mind here, they should have made Hope older much sooner, they boxed themselves into a corner with a baby. Now, they’re doing what they should have done in huge leaps, I think perhaps this concept has had its say in the sun.

33. Donna says:

I am a comic book reader, but I am so over the whole superheroes tv shows. Too many of them currently and more on the way. No variety any longer.

34. S M W says:

Like the idea of a spin off but think it should begin in a strong character build up of relatively innocent early adolescence like Jr High, rather than taking such a huge time jump to quickly get to adulthood.

35. S M W says:

Loved Vamp Diaries, but hated the ending that happened because of two characters forming a romantic relationship and the complications and demise of that relationship getting in the way of the show, causing the lead character to bail. Really sucked that ultra beloved Elaina was all but absent for most all of the last third of Vamp Diaries. Leaving her viewers waiting and waiting in longing expectation then in anticipation of her rescue, but then the final comeback, was just weak. Makes me want to avoid watching anything else she’s in, because she might bail out on the show again. Just too disappointing when the show starts out so intense, and the lead has everyone so rapped, then suddenly bails with only hints of a possible return, then in the end we get a flash in the pan entry exit using little more than cameos of the absent lead to patch it up with.

• Television says:

I agree. If the actor wanted to bail on the great show that made her, she should have been written off the show. She was great in the first seasons sure, but she left. They need to kill her off and move in a new direction. I for one think they should keep going with Vampire Diaries, loved that show all seasons. It was such a great place to visit Mystic Falls. It is ashame she wanted off the show, but I watched for the Salvatore brothers, their storyline was fantastic.

36. Valerie says:

Where do you find the auditions for teen Hope Mikaelson, I would love to audition but I’m having trouble finding the casting call. Please help me find this information

37. Television says:

I really want them to continue The Vampire Diaries. That was such a fantastic show I don’t understand why they cancelled it. I’m hoping they bring it back some way and make it all a dream or an alternate reality version so we can continue seeing the Salvatore brothers which is why I watched. I can see so many possible storylines for them.

38. Lydia Odey says:

brilliant a time jump is just what Hope neesds

39. Bobby says:

I love the idea. Now let’s get GOTHAM to time jump 10 years.

40. Time jumps usually end shows. I know they have been renewed for another season but I have a bad feeling this might end it after the next season. I for one will not watch after they time jump. When shows time jump, they get cancelled. I do not think I will be watching any more after this. They broke my heart when they broke up Hayley and Elijah.

41. Jill says:

My family and I are #1 fans of vampire diaries and the originals..I actually predicted that there was going to be a spin off with Hope going to mystic falls to Alaric’s and Carolina’s school.
    If this happens I think fans would absolutely love it. .here hoping :)

42. Erick Voshel says:

I’m down with Season 5 time-jumping & being introduced to a teenage Hope as well. I’m also down with the Magic School idea. It would be a nice change of pace for the series..

43. Jane says:

Why someone who doesn’t want the show to continue would still bother to leave a comment? I mean if you comment even shows you don’t particularly like, it means you clearly have too much free time and this should be your issue, not TO spin off or time jump. I stopped watching OUAT or Arrow at some point and never bothered to read about these shows, let alone to comment on them insisting they will/should end asap. Strange behaviour, I tell you

44. Mary Smythe says:

As long as you keep the same cast & some new I’m all for it. I’m just glad their Not canceling THE ORIGINALS

45. lisa says:

I LOVE The Originals.. I hope they don’t do another time jump but I will still watch and love all the characters!!!! T.O. FOREVER!!!!!

46. Maitee hernandez says:

The originals have to keep and will be good if some part to vampires diaries are into the next seasons but the originals and supernatural are the best

47. TempKie says:

I only watch the show for Elijah, Klaus, and occasional appearance by one of the other family members. I really like the dynamic of Hope, too. But only when she was a baby and now child. As a teen she would entirely take over a show and probably end up bratty and petulant like most insufferable teen characters on shows, especially on the CW. And have zero interest in seeing Caroline, Alaric, Matt or Mystic Falls. So I would definitely not watch any spin-off with them. The Originals needs to go even darker not back to the teen scene of TVD. Originals is at its best when its a darker more adult show. And a teen character of Hope maybe could fit into that world, but doubtful. I assume a spin-off would not have Elijah and Klaus and therefore the core of the Originals would be destroyed.

48. Rashida Hudson says:

I love the originals, it’s much better than supernatural (my opinion) Halle and Elijah roles has become boring but Klaus and Rebecca and other cast keep the show poppin. I would not want the show to end but I would like to see Hope attend school in with

49. Estelle says:

Please dont let it be the last this is n very beautiful series and good

50. Mia says:

I feel like we need to go into a bit more depth with her as a child. As a child your moments with your mother and father are special and hope missed out on five years with her father. I feel like we need to see their interaction more with hope as a child, at least until mid season. Though I do also want to see hope as an adult.