Fall TV Preview
TEN DAYS IN THE VALLEY Preview

Fall TV First Impression: ABC's Ten Days in the Valley

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including CBS’ S.W.A.T. reboot, the maiden space voyage of Fox’s Orville and The CW’s soapy new Dynasty. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | ABC’s Ten Days in the Valley (Sundays at 10/9c, premiere date TBA)

THE COMPETITION | NBC’s Sunday Night Football and CBS’ Madam Secretary

RELATED Read Our First Impressions of ABC’s The Mayor and The Good Doctor, CBS’ S.W.A.T., SEAL Team and Young Sheldon, and The CW’s Valor and Dynasty

THE CAST | Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer), Kick Gurry (Sense8), Erika Christensen (Parenthood), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Lost), Emily Kinney (The Walking Dead), Currie Graham (Murder in the First), Felix Solis (The Family) and others

THE SET-UP | Sedgwick stars as Jane Sadler, a TV crime drama showrunner who finds life imitating art when her daughter is abducted in the middle of the night. Gurry costars as Jane’s embittered ex, while Christensen and Akinnuoye-Agbaje play her sister and the lead investigator, respectively.

RELATED Fall TV Poll: Which New Shows Are YOU Most Looking Forward To?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | This looks to be the real deal, folks, my favorite of the half-dozen drama pilots I have screened thus far. Penned by Rookie Blue creator Tassie Cameron and covering 10 days over the course of as many episodes, the show takes its time in establishing a sense of dread as the child’s vanishing nears, and then does some interesting things with Jane’s immediate reaction once it does. The canvas is populated with an interesting variety of well-cast characters(/suspects?) from both Jane’s personal and professional lives — from the seemingly supportive to the mildly (or outwardly!) contentious. Most interestingly (and perhaps the show’s biggest obstacle, in establishing a root-for heroine), Jane is no Girl Scout. Rather, she has at least a couple of secrets brewing in the first hour alone, though she is far from alone in that respect.

RELATED Fall TV Schedule: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | It’d be great to see Ten Days thrive in a time slot where other ABC dramas have struggled, but it will need to overcome a bit of a “disconnect” leading out of the network’s new Sunday reality-TV block of To Tell the Truth and Shark Tank (though the latter’s most recent run did average a robust-for-ABC 1.2 demo rating).

Watch the trailer for Ten Days in the Valley , then vote in our poll below.

1. BB says:

From all of the trailers for the new shows next season, this was by far my favorite. I’m happy to see a positive review! Makes me that much more excited!

2. Lauren says:

Ok I haven’t technically been looking forward to this show, I don’t think it was on my radar. But you guys have me pumped for it now!

3. Iris says:

Kyra S. and Adewale A.A. have great chemistry. And it’s female-led, so I’ll give it a try.

4. Michelle says:

Been looking forward to this since i first read about it & now after seeing the trailer i’m looking forward to it even more. The fact that it has a great cast doesn’t hurt either :)

5. Alexander says:

Hi Matt, is this a limited series or is it going to be an ongoing one? Thx
    Btw appreciate all what you guys & girls are doing at TVLINE, greetings from Berlin

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

10-episode Season 1, period. That is all I know right now. (You know how it is with “limited” series. They’re “limited” unless they do good ratings.)

6. T.W.S.S. says:

Hmm, maybe I’ll check out the pilot when they show hits streaming.

7. Ken says:

I think this upcoming season is one of the worst batches of shows in decades. But this is the only one that has piqued my interest.

8. roni1133 says:

I was already planning on watching this show due to Ali Liebert being in the cast (and being a fan of Rookie Blue). Now I’m looking forward to it even more.

9. Elizabeth says:

As someone who worked missing children cases, I’m always wary of storylines that involve them — it’s an emotional thing, being back in that mindset, and in my experience there’s just something wrenchingly undefinable about being in the middle of such a situation that doesn’t tend to translate to media well. But I have to say, this is super intriguing on all levels, and I sincerely hope it holds up throughout.

10. Ingmar says:

I missed Kyra Sedgwick on my tv, so I cannot wait to check this one out. Along with The Resident the drama I look forward to the most. Even before this review. Thanks for the great read!

11. No no no says:

I was interested until I saw the trailer. I cannot stand shows that use that soft focus effect. Everything just looks blurry.

12. Aaron Fleming says:

I’ve watched the preview for a second time and the plot of this show looks completely ridiculous to me – the writer of a TV show apparently lives the drama in real life. I don’t buy any of it for a second. To me it has far fetched bomb written all over it. Hope those who are looking forward to this enjoy it. I’ll be watching Madam Secretary of something on cable when this is on.

13. Roo says:

If it’s Kyra got to watch.

14. padraicjacob says:

I was more interested when Demi Moore was originally going to star, but I’ll still tune in

15. MMD says:

As soon as I saw Kyra Sedgwick I was in plus the review and trailer helped. I’m a Madam Secretary fan and because I watch it on local stations, I don’t usually have the over run problems. Will definitely dvr and watch the next day.

16. Ally Oop says:

The premise doesn’t hook me but I will give this a chance.

17. Carol C says:

So happy to see Kyra back!

18. Carol C says:

Is the starting date known? I don’t see it anywhere online.

19. a_lex89 says:

After watching the trailer, I had the feeling it was very bland and there wasn’t much interesting to it. After watching the pilot, it confirmed what I initially had thought about the trailer. After reading this preview, I feel like I didn’t watch the same show at all?! This one will most likely fail. For sure.

20. Wyngate says:

What trailer? It’s private?