Fall TV Preview
Mayor ABC Pilot Preview

Fall TV First Impression: The Mayor

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including David Boreanaz’s SEAL drama, the adventures of Fox’s Gifted mutants and The  CW’s soapy new Dynasty. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | ABC’s The Mayor (Tuesdays at 9:30/8:30c, premiere date TBA)

THE COMPETITION | NBC’s This Is Us, CBS’ Bull, Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow

RELATED Read First Impressions of ABC’s The Good Doctor, CBS’ Young Sheldon and The CW’s Dynasty

THE CAST | Brandon Micheal Hall (Search Party), Yvette Nicole Brown (Community), Lea Michele (Glee), College Humor’s Bernard David Jones and newcomer Marcel Spears.

THE SET-UP | Now this is the story all about how a struggling young rapper runs for mayor of his California hometown as a brazen PR stunt — and ends up winning.

RELATEDFall TV Poll: Which New Shows Are YOU Most Looking Forward To?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | In a word, The Mayor is charming, pairing a super-likeable cast with a fun and instantly engaging premise that it wastes little time diving into (the election results come in by the eight-minute mark).

Playing the titular Courtney Rose, Hall has you rooting for him from go (even when he royally screws up), while Brown is perfect as the unexpected politician’s mom, delivering an early pep talk THE MAYORthat is remarkably moving for someone we met one scene ago. As Valentina, Courtney’s onetime classmate-turned-chief of staff, Michele finds a nicely modulated version of peppy know-it-all Rachel Berry, resulting in a warm chemistry even when they bicker. Jones and Spears form a winning tag team as Courtney’s best buds, though the latter occasionally risks delivering the sliiiiightest imitation of Titus Andromedon.

RELATED Fall TV Schedule: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Ouch, if only we could veto that time slot, where it will face TV’s No. 2-rated (This Is Us) and third most-watched (Bull) scripted programs, vie with the excellent Brooklyn Nine-Nine on the sitcom front, and all whilst bringing up the rear of ABC’s rejiggered Tuesday comedy block. Turnout for The Mayor might all come down to what sort of table a relocated black-ish sets as its lead-in.

Watch a trailer for The Mayor, then vote in our poll below.

1. Wordsmith says:

I get the strategy, pairing it with Black-ish, but you’re definitely right about it being a brutal time slot. Hopefully it carves out a loyal audience, because it sounds pretty good.

2. Haz says:

Didn’t black-ish drop quite a bit when it didn’t have MF as a lead in? Honestly with them moving This Is Us back to Tuesday I don’t see this getting a second season and very worried about Nine-Nines future. I really wish they would have retooled the Casey Wilson mayor show.

3. Kevin Tran says:

The Mayor is like a mix of Parks and Rec and Community in between. One of the best new comedies of the season. Great to see Yvette Nicole Brown and Lea Michele back on TV.

4. Iris says:

They lost me at “rapper”.

• Anne says:

Op! We found the racist! It’s like the Where’s Waldo of the tvline comments section.

• Iris says:

Same as the self-righteous one. You don’t even know my skin color.

• John036 says:

Isn’t it racist for implying only African Americans can be rappers?

• c-mo says:

Why does Iris’s dislike of rap make her a racist? I actually enjoy the works of the cast with the exception of Lea Michele, I find her voice and mannerisms grating and I loathe rap, does that make me a racist? You might want to ask some questions before labeling someone.

• Jones says:

You are preaching to someone else while you are judging Lea Michele or Rachel Berry . Maybe some question you should ask how do you know what this new character’s voice or mannerism will be by 30 seconds. How do you know how much rap will even be in it or the type of rap. To say you hate rap is generalizing.

• Jk says:

Hey Anne, step back and expand your world a little. It is absolutely possible to hate rap music without being a racist. I know it must make you feel better to quickly insult and label anyone who thinks the least bit different than you. But by doing that you show yourself to be very close minded.

5. Richard says:

Damn, you’re not kidding about the time slot & competition. I watch 3 of the 4 other shows. I’ll be using the DVR & On Demand… but I’ll probably cut one. Another problem, shows are so predicable that the trailer practically shows you what to expect for the first half of the season… not to mention people are sick of politics and preachy shows.

6. u says:

I saw it and it’s really good. The time slot worries me though.

7. kmw says:

Um Brooklyn 99 wont beat this show however The Mayor will have a terrible time with Bull and This is Us. Sounds like a good show

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Um no one is saying B99 will, in raw crude cold emotionless numbers. Just saying its formidable sitcom competition, quality-wise.

• Lyndy says:

Who knows, B99 might do the unthinkable….I want The Mayor to do well but I need B99 to stay strong up against TIU & Bull

8. herman1959 says:

I’ll watch This Is Us live and blackish and The Mayor the next day via hulu…fingers crossed.

9. meatwad says:

was shocked at how much i liked the trailer. will be checking this out for sure

10. Shannon says:

I was instantly intrigued by the show’s premise, but ouch, that time-slot is so bad I wonder if I should even bother. And Matt, nice Fresh Prince nod ;p

11. @chasetriton says:

Black-ish is no anchor show. Its perpetual weakness will accelerate the death of She’s The Sheriff (Suzanne Somers). Oops. I mean The Mayor.

12. DCL says:

Remove Michele and I am all for it. I have very little faith in her acting ability to not reprise her standard role of Rachel Berry. And I really don’t wanna watch Rachel Berry 3.0 show.

• Corky says:

I like YNB but can’t stand LM, so I’m on the fence. Not familiar with the other cast members.

• Jones says:

When will you all get over the resentment. . She may have some attributes as Rachel like a go getter but nothing here shows she is intense and overly ambitious. You know she was good as Rachel Berry you just are still mad she was the lead. Priceless.

• Hannah says:

Why are Glee fans so obnoxious? We get it. You liked a TV show, just like millions of other people have since the invention of television. Doesn’t mean that everyone who didn’t like that show (or who didn’t like actors from the show) are mad. They just have different tastes than you. I personally find Lea Michele to be insanely annoying, and I didn’t even watch Glee. My impression comes from other crap that she’s done. She is way too grating to want to watch on a regular basis.

• Jones says:

Probably should not speak if you don’t know the circumstances. No one said everyone who didn’t like the show/actor is mad. But the person who called it RB 3.0 is mad and resentful that is pretty much a given or they would not have used that phrasing. Not sure what other acting roles you have seen her in so no sure if you are judging her on her acting or just judging her and are unable to separate real from fiction. Talk about grating and obnoxious whew.

13. Scott says:

But I thought This Is Us was staying at Thursday!

14. Sarah G says:

Looks + sounds promising, I’ll def be checking this one out!!!! That timeslot, tho – ouch.

15. Jim L. says:

Yes Lea Michele is so underappreciated glad to see her and Yvette Brown.

16. Hannah says:

Ugh, I want to watch, but holy crap, Lea Michele is way too annoying to watch on a regular basis. Hopefully she’ll tone it way way down because I want to watch this show – it looks quite funny.

• Jones says:

It is not a reality show so it will not be Lea Michele. This does not seem to be an purposefully over the top character like her last two tv shows.

17. Patricio says:

I was going to watch just for Lea (since I love her work) but this sounds actualle pretty good. Love Yvette too.

18. a_lex89 says:

Hopefully, it gets a loyal fanbase being paired with Black-ish because the timeslot will be brutal. The pilot, while a bit disappointing, was quite a good setup for what could potentially be a good show.

19. Rose Alice Hoerst says:

I, too, hate rap. I am 72 and white. That said, I laughed throughout this trailer. Looking forward to the show