Nashville Season 5 Spoilers Rayna Memory Deacon

Nashville EP Promises Rest of Season 5 Isn't a 'Depressing Memorial' to Rayna

Though grief is a circuitous journey full of setbacks and bad days, Nashville co-showrunner Marshall Herskovitz would like you to know that Rayna Jaymes’ friends and loved ones are coming out of the worst of it.

And so, though the redheaded country music star will continue to be a presence when the CMT drama returns on Thursday, June 1 (9/8c), don’t expect the back half of the season to be a weeping, wailing rehash of her untimely death.

“What we’ve always tried to do in our shows in the past is respect the real stakes” of characters’ lives, Herskovitz says, referring to his work with co-showrunner Ed Zwick on series like thirtysomething and My So-Called Life.

What that means for Nashville: Don’t expect Deacon, Maddie, Daphne and the rest of Music City to bounce back from their profound sadness in a few weeks’ time… but as time passes, don’t expect them to be consumed by it, either.

“This loss is so profound,” Herskovitz says, adding that the series’ time jump means we’re picking up with the characters about 10 weeks since the events of the finale. “It’s something that affects you for the rest of your life. It’s not something you get over in two episodes.” Still, as we saw in the trailer released earlier this week, Deke and the girls are getting back to life — and the drama that goes along with it (cough homeless teen in the house cough) — starting with the midseason premiere.

The questions they’ll struggle with, he says, include, “Am I allowed to have joy in my life? What do I do with this relentless feeling?” And when the loss hits them the hardest, “You’ll see each of the three break down,” he adds, but “not necessarily in the first episode.”

As the season builds toward its finale, the EP continues, he hopes it’ll represent an accurate portrayal of how families dealing with crushing grief soldier on. And there’ll still be music, comedy and intrigue mixed in, he adds, promising that the mix “doesn’t lead to the show being a depressing memorial to Rayna’s memory.”

1. Linda says:

Quit watching Nashville when you killed off Rayna..

2. Pat says:

Less Maddie = More Viewers.

3. David says:

If they replace Maddie’s stupidity of last season with Daphne’s this season, what have these show runners really learned?

• Maryrose says:

Have you ever had teenagers DUH?
      Drama and teenage mistakes (also known as stupidity) happen all the time. Stupidity also happens and it should providing no one is physically harmed. That’s how young children, teenagers, and adults learn from their mistakes in life.
      Love the entire show from day 1. Love Maddie and Daphne, miss Rayna, but moving on with the rest of the cast toward new normal. Think the show is great and interesting to see Deacon navigate around his tremendous grief, being a single Dad to 2 teenage girls, and living in a world where he honors his life with Rayna but is a man with needs and the loneliness and fear in the aftermath of her death.
      Deacon (Chip Esten) is a fantastic actor and my favorite on the show. His sensitivity as Deacon remind me of the character Michael on 30something. I was passionate about that show also not surprising with Herskovitz and Zwick.
      Keep up the fantastic work Nashville!!!

4. Buck says:

Herskovitz is going to try too hard to force “Rayna’s dead” down the viewers throats. The fact that he has to promote before the show returns that it won’t be a depressing memorial to Rayna shows how many fans saw that the show was darker and more depressing when it came to CMT, even when Rayna was still alive. Herskovitz and Callie Khouri ruined Nashville even before Rayna was killed off.

5. Avis D Russell says:

You should have let the show die when it was canceled if you were going to kill Rayna off . The show to me was about Rayna and Decon

6. Connie Clugston says:

I haven’t watch it since you killed Rayna they ruin the show

7. april-ann says:

There should be a larger time jump. She wanted out now she’s out. Time to move on. Personally, at her age and point in her career, I thought she was crazy to walk away from the opportunity to work with Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick. Even if she wasn’t happy an opportunity to work with them doesn’t come along every day for any actor, especially ones nearly 50.

8. chadcronin says:

Rayna who? People she left. No reason to be mad at the show or a quit watching. Glad it won’t be about her death no more because I’m over it and want to move on to new topics on the show.

9. Betty Gross says:

I loved Rayna, Connies character. I have watched every episode of Nashville since day 1. I have gotten family & friends to watch. I resent Connie for leaving the show. Especially since the show was about “HER” family & life. After fans begged & fought to keep the show & CMT picked it up. I think that was pretty low of her leaving. After finding out Ranya was quitting the show & going to be killed off I have not watched the show. I do love Nashville & all cast. I don’t want to watch & be reminded of Rayna . I know you can’t just act like she never existed, but I watch for enjoyment & I would like to enjoy the music & show without such sadness & depressing things. I know that’s a part of musicians lives, but at least let us enjoy the show. I would like to watch again & love the cast.

10. Karen Ziebell says:

Looking forward to Rayna-less Nashville! Like everyone else in the show but her. She was great in Friday Night Lights, horrible in Nashville, never convincing in her role and not a good singer. Hope it gets a long run without her!