Scandal Recap

Scandal's Kerry Washington: Trump 'Completely' Derailed Season 6 Plans

Throughout its sixth season, Scandal was forced to handle its toughest adversary yet: President Trump.

As star Kerry Washington revealed on Thursday’s The Daily Show, the results of the real-life presidential election heavily influenced Season 6 of the ABC drama — and an entire storyline had to be scrapped when it too closely mirrored the actual investigation into Trump’s ties with Russia.

“Our writers have really been challenged,” the actress told Trevor Noah. “[They] were actually going to end this season with the Russians hacking the election. And they were like, ‘I guess we can’t do that, because that’s a reality show!’ They’ve had to completely restructure the end of the show.” (And you can find out how that turned out by clicking here.)

While it might be easy to joke that Olivia Pope should “fix” the real-world political climate, Washington would prefer her character not be used as a scapegoat.

“It actually made me very angry,” she said, upon realizing that “Olivia Pope” was a trending topic on social media the day after the election. “I’m super happy that we’re in the zeitgeist, but we are a democracy… and we got into this problem because we thought a character on television could fix our problems.”

She continued, “The people who have to fix our problems are us. ‘We the people’ means we have to show up. Half the country didn’t vote. We have to show up. We have to participate.”

Press PLAY on the video below to see Washington’s full Daily Show interview, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. MrMank says:

Didn’t stop Quantico from doing everything but use Trump’s name. That show became so biased it was a joke. I’m not for censorship at all, but maybe there is something to be said for a modicum of restraint. I mean, we’re not watching Scandal so we can relive the news.

2. raddadtone says:

I think someone who isn’t an actual politician, but a psychotic reality star posing as one is fair game to skewer.

3. Tomm Huntre says:

Kerry is delusional. It wasn’t the TV star a lot of people voted for. It was just a poor candidate in Clinton that they voted AGAINST. Bernie would have easily beat Trump.

• Piers says:

Too true. I’m no fan of Trump whom I view as a petulant child. I voted GOP because of the SCOTUS appointment[s] and to stop the socialist gravy train that Clinton wanted to engineer in Obama’s place.

• PaisleyPark says:

…And THAT’S exactly why we’re in the mess we’re in right now. Because of you and the rest of the “Anyone but Hillary” idiots. Absolutely ridiculous. And Tomm, Bernie would not have easily beat Trump, but keep telling yourself that to make you feel better for the chaos this country is now in.

• I believe she was making fun of the people asking for Olivia Pope’s help? And I’m sorry, but I reject the “we didn’t vote FOR so-and-so, we voted against” notion…I’m not claiming either was great, but you lose the argument when you say that. People voted for Trump because they liked his policy more than Clinton’s (which in certain aspects I accept), not because he’s a better person than Clinton. Give me a break.

• Honest says:

I hear Trump will join the cast next season. He will play a handsome billionaire that has a very direct approach to dating.

4. Caroline says:

So now I can also blame Trump for the dumb a$$ direction the show is going to go in the last season?? Just great. I don’t think I will be tuning in. Dark side Olivia? How is that entertaining or interesting TV? What a bummer, plain and simple. Has there been a better television show that has completely wasted the original premise and chemistry of its leads like this one?

5. Penny says:

you can blame plenty of things on previous presidents and our current one, but no Kerry Washington, you can not say Scandal was derailed because of our president. I’m sure he will derail plenty of things in his presidency but your less than stellar season is not one of them. Can we say reaching?

• Did you watch the video? Or read the article? Apparently not. She said everything with a sense of humor…so yeah, you can say reaching, but you’re the one doing it.

• Penny says:

I did read the article. I also watched the interview. I understand what Kerry said. I’m also going to assume here that you don’t watch Scandal. To blame your lackluster season on a scraped storyline because of the president instead of a slew of other reasons that are actually true is what I was getting at. People have just tuned out, including last nights finale which had low ratings.

• Ben says:

She didn’t blame – she stated a fact. The election of Trump changed the plot of the season. Anything on top of that is tongue and cheek, or people reading in.

• Big Cheddar says:

Oh good lord – she didn’t say this season would have been better if it wasn’t for Trump. She said they had to change the direction of the storyline from Russia being behind the hacking the election to what they ended up with which, when you think about it, doesn’t make any sense st all. It would have made more sense if a foreign government had actually been involved.

6. katsssblog says:

Wow, what an excuse. I loved Scandal so it’s not very nice of me to talk bad about it, but they ruined the show. It is hard to run show for few seasons, but they totally ruined it with conspiracy theories and ect. First season was so good I loved the show. Blaming current politics for not knowing how to run a show is stupid. I am glad that they are finishing it, and I hope that we will have decent final season.

• Lisa Echerd says:

I agree. The show’s direction has been trending toward such ridiculous storylines and each season they have to top themselves. There is plenty to blame the current administration for but not being able to rewrite your show in any sort of plausible way is not one of them. Just because the President can’t do his job doesn’t mean the Scandal writers shouldn’t be expected to do theirs.

7. HEYScott says:

A true liberal blame everybody else but not them selves .

• K says:

You must be really happy that Trump is your President then.

• This comment makes no sense. They admitted they scraped the story line because it resembled real life events too much. They take the blame for changing it, but yes it is because of the Trump/Russia collusion they did it. Not that hard to follow.

8. The Rookie says:

Scandal jumped the shark with Jake, Rowan and B613. Fix those and you can save the show

9. westwingwolf says:

Having to change plans explains why this season felt like one of those round robin stories where each writer writes something new from where the last writer left off. It wasn’t a cohesive storyline at all. Though even if they had to scrap the initial ending, I think they could have done a better storyline overall. It was just not good. I would have believed the Russians or some other country was behind the conspiracy. It just didn’t seem likely that any one person was behind it, but rather a collective of people with a far reaching power.

10. Just stop blaming current political climate, because your writers and producers by story line have shown they no nothing about real world politics. Example: Joke , Captain as head of NSA and out playing, OPA. Two women no where near qualified assuming Presidential and Vice Presidential roles. But, Shonda wants to be politically correct when it suits her. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY.
    Simple fact is that writing has gotten steadily worse for the past three seasons because of B613 and an infatuation with certain actors instead of concentrating on premise of show and original core cast.

11. ldddhunter says:

Well I like how season 6 ended and the whole story arc; I also love how it was PROVED President Trump had NO ties w/Russia and that he won the election fair and square. I think people were just sick of anything Clintons especially Hillary w/all her lying and being grilled by Rep. Trey Gowdy about Benghazi, the emails, etc.. also the Clinton’s had ties w/Russia whereas President Trump had NONE. So again a lot of Hollywood liberals are just a bunch of cry babies over the fact President Trump is now in the Oval Office. I’m glad on the show that it is now President Mellie Grant, b/c I love her character. I think season 7 should be the last though but out of all the characters on the show I want Huck to finally find true happiness. He looked so sad about Quinn’s pregnancy (well he did in my opinion). I would love a twist that Quinn and Huck hooked up at some point off camera and the baby turns out to be Huck’s and not Charlie (who I like a lot but I love the chemistry b/w Huck/Quinn much more). So glad Abby is back helping at OPA or will they change the name on the door eventually since Liv has a new “title”. I want it to end w/Fitz returning at the very end of season 7 to finally take Liv away. I’m confused though does Fitz know Liv is now the head of the new B613 (think that I wrote it correct). I mean wasn’t Fitz going to revitalize again and be the lead but Liv changed his mind so he left to run his foundation instead?? I’m confused need to re-watch certain parts again.