Scandal Spoilers

Scandal Officially Ending, Season 7 Is Olivia's Swan Song: 'We Are Leaving Nothing on the Table,' Says Shonda

Thank God it’s finally official.

ABC has confirmed what TVLine first told you last week: Scandal‘s upcoming seventh season will be the show’s last. The announcement was made Thursday by ABC president Channing Dungey during a conference call with reporters. An episode count is TBD.

The formal declaration comes two days before Scandal is set to close out its sixth season.

“Deciding how to end a show is easy,” Scandal creator Shonda Rhimes said in a statement. “Deciding when to finish is quite simple when the end date is years away. But actually going through with it? Actually standing up to say: ‘This is it?’ Not so much. So, next year we are going all out. Leaving nothing on the table. Creating this world in celebration. We are going to handle the end the way we like to handle the important things in our Scandal family: all together, white hats on, gladiators running full speed over a cliff.”

Dungey said of the series setting an end date, “I always prefer to end a show when it’s creatively on top as opposed to letting things dribble out. Fans of Scandal are going to want the story to end in the way that Shonda intends it to. It’s a decision she felt really good about and we support wholeheartedly.”

Rhimes has previously said that, unlike the long-running Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal‘s heavily serialized, high-stakes narrative necessitates a short-ish shelf life. And it seems she’ll get no argument from viewers. In a recent poll, fans overwhelmingly agreed with TVLine Senior Editor Andy Swift’s editorial that Scandal‘s end needs to be nigh.

1. Daniel McKay says:

Will it be 22 eps since We The People will probably replace HTGAWM?

2. Cosmin says:

13 or 16…to be something good and concret

3. Brian says:

Hope they keep the episode count at 16. This season was better because there wasn’t as many filler episodes.

4. Adam says:

“I always prefer to end a show when it’s creatively on top as opposed to letting things dribble out.”
    Uh, too late…

5. eric7740 says:

22 episodes!!!! MORE SCANDAL!!!!

6. Jau says:

Correction to Shonda: Things are already dribbled out.

7. Mary says:

I am one for ending the series, probably should have been this year. Good luck in the ratings because NBC is moving This is Us to Thursday night and I, (and probably many others ) will be watching that. However, I will DVR this but it better catch my interest in the first couple of shows or I won’t guarantee to see all the way through.

8. Will says:

let’s be real the Scandal we all know and loved ended with Season 3… but glad they are not dragging this out any further (unlike Grey’s…)

9. Matty Si says:

I’m still waiting on a crossover episode with HTGAWM. Olivery and Annalise together would be epic!

10. popeye013 says:

I hope season 7 isn’t longer than it has to be for the sake of filling slots in a schedule!
    10-12 episode final run would be awesome frankly and when you consider the great story telling in something like Billions on Showtime is done over 12 episodes, the writing team for Scandal can surely deliver a great series in that time and not have padding episodes just to fill slots!

11. Kar says:

Too late for Scandal to end with white hats, they made every character a killer

12. James says:

How is it canceled if it has been renewed and announced as the last one before a single episode has been produced?

It’s ending, not canceled.

• Trish says:

They reported Desperate Housewives the same way. Marked it “canceled” I stead of “final season” although it’s final season was announced before it production (EXACTLY like Scandal).

13. Trish says:

I LOVE Scandal. And like every single hit television series that there has ever been, overtime the writing quality declines a bit. However, I still have enjoyed this season (a tad better than I enjoyed last season. I am grateful to Shonda Rhimes for making the decision to end Scandal and formally announce a Final season. I appreciate show runners that end shows on their terms while they are still relevent and popular. Desperate Housewives’ (one of my top five favorite shows ever)creator, Marc Cherry, made the similar decision/announcement in 2011 that season 8 (2011-2012 season) would be its final season. I dislike it when shows overstay their welcome, especially when they are declared a hit and networks drag them out. I enjoyed Greys Anatomy til the end of season 12. I tried a few episodes after that season, and it seemed as if they were recycling storylines but ultimately with new people. NCIS is another show I feel that has overstayed and gone stale. I don’t intentionally do this, but I have begun not only disliking shows that are on the air too long, but also resent/loose respect for the network and shows’ writers. Its classy that Scandal is going out in style and ‘white hats’!

14. Jodi says:

I know I’m the minority, but please end in Vermont.

• Judiwb says:

I agree!! I still love scandal and am a die hard fan. I watch this is us but I will watch scandal and dvr that. Give us a full season!

15. Wanda Gonzalez says:

Why y’all always cancel the good shows and leave the crappy ones I’ve watched scandle since the beginning please quit cancelling the good shows!

16. John Carson says:

Just finished the finale. Probably the dumbest show out their. They should just let it die right now.