The Odd Couple Officially Cancelled After 3 Seasons at CBS

Oscar and Felix, consider this your official eviction notice.

CBS has formally cancelled The Odd Couple after three seasons, TVLine has learned.

The writing had been on the wall for the Matthew Perry/Thomas Lennon-led sitcom for months. Back in November, the network opted not to order an additional back-nine episodes for the series’ third season, capping it at just 13. What’s more, co-star Yvette Nicole Brown has already moved on; the Community vet is a series regular on ABC’s new comedy The Mayor.

Based on Neil Simon’s original Tony-winning play, which went on to inspire a 1968 film as well as the beloved 1970s ABC series with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall, Perry and Lennon starred as the latest incarnation of classically mismatched roommates Oscar Madison and Felix Unger. Yvette Nicole Brown (Community), Lindsay Sloane (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) and Wendell Pierce (Treme) co-starred.

Are you upset by the cancellation of The Odd Couple? Surprised a formal announcement took so long? Chime in below.

1. Van says:

In other news, the sky is blue

2. Jennifer says:

Sadness. I really liked this show. I thought it was really funny. But … c’est la vie.

• Argy says:

Me too. I rarely find shows I like but loved this one. Every episode was funny and I looked forward to it every week. However it became like Rules Of Engagement where you never knew if it was going to be saved or not. Characters were so great together. Sad.

3. maryellenfaustini says:

Very sorry about the cancellation. Liked the show very much.

4. maryellenfaustini says:

Very sorry about the cancellation. Liked the show very much. Nice relationships among the actors…😑😑😑😑😑😑

5. Terri Spoonemore says:

Why cancel the odd couple? They are so funny! Whats wrong with this picture!!

• Patrick says:

Given the actors involved, this show would have been ruinously expensive to produce. If it is a big hit, fine. The costs will be recouped at some point. Break even now, with a river of money at some point in the future via syndication. It isn’t a huge hit. That means mounting losses in the short term, with no future river of money.

6. Kevin Tran says:

Good move by CBS for cancelling a “crappy boring sitcom” in The Odd Couple.

7. flowerduh says:

I’m surprised it made it past season 1

8. Kris says:

This they cancel but Colbert is still on?

9. GuessWhat says:

if you’re keeping track, four stars of ‘COMMUNITY’ have lost their newer shows in the past week. WOW!

• Daya says:

I’m not a fan of Community, but it doesn’t take one to see what a burn that is. OUCH!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

‘Cept, you know, Yvette already has a new series (ABC’s The Mayor). Alison Brie is star of Netflix’s GLOW. Gillian Jacob’s Love has already aired Season 2. Atlanta creator/star Donald Glover is off winning awards and shepherding Deadpool series for FXX…….

• Big Cheddar says:

Hey – the Seinfeld cast went through the same thing after their show was cancelled, so the Community cast is in good company.

10. Adam says:

I’m wondering if comedy Monday is going back to just 8-9 next season? Scorpion worked well at 9. And they honestly don’t have enough decently rated comedies to fill 4 hours a week.

11. Banks says:

Matthew Perry needs to stop playing different versions of Chandler… Im mean his shows keep getting cancelled

• dan says:

Matthew Perry was the weakest element of this show. There was good chemistry between Thomas Lennon and Lindsay Sloane, and Yvette Nicole Brown was good in a supporting role while Wendell Pierce was just ok. The producers made a mistake in breaking up the Felix/Emily coupling, but even keeping them together wouldn’t have been enough to make this show successful. Honestly, I’m surprised it lasted this long.

• J. Norman says:

I agree that the best aspect of the show was the Felix / Emily pairing.
        but, to be honest, I had already started to abandon this show prior to them breaking them up and essentially reducing Lindsey Sloane (Emily) to a recurring character.

12. Alex Breakaway says:

Can Matthew Perry catch a break. At least made it to 3 seasons, more than we can say of Go On, Mr Sunshine and Studio

13. Daya says:

I loved it, but I also know when something gets narrow renewals for a couple of seasons that it’s going to go sooner rather than later.

At least they gave us a satisfactory ending (if I remember right).

14. Iakovos says:

If a weak sitcom falls in the process of crafting a new season… I was never a fan of this reboot and am surprised it lasted as long as it did. Good talent but this vehicle just did not appeal. Maybe Oscar and Felix can hook up with 2 BROKE GIRLS and the Eye can revive YES DEAR!

15. Ronnie says:

I also have to say that Matthew Perry was the weak link in this show.

16. az80sguy says:

Hopefully, this will mean Thomas Lennon as Leo Getz will be making a few appearances on “Lethal Weapon” in season 2!

17. I really wanted this to be a hit for Matthew Perry. I just don’t understand why he picked this re-tread of a re-tread. I tried four or five episodes, but it never grabbed me. It seemed like Perry was trying too hard.

• TV Gord says:

He did more than pick it. He championed it, redeveloped it (some of us think devolved it) and took it to the network. He thought it was going to be his big return to series television.

I think he has now come around to the realization that his talents belong elsewhere. He’s doing Broadway now, with a show that he wrote. Hopefully, that will bring him some fulfillment. After this dreadful version of The Odd Couple, his embarrassing attempt at Teddy Kennedy in that miniseries, he really needs to cut his losses and go away from TV for a while.

18. DebHulley says:

I liked the show. So why are thy cancelled?

19. Maria says:

I’d love to see Thomas Lennon in another show. He’s very talented.

20. edward says:

liked the odd couple. better than man with a plan or kevin can wait

21. Television says:

What isn’t cancelled is what I want to know? That will take up a microsecond of time to read. Blink and you miss what is renewed. This is so stupid, if the tv stations keep cancelling everything, why bother to watch stuff in the first place? So I can see 1 episode of 1 show?

22. George H. says:

Surprised it lasted 3 seasons. It was awful. Tried watching it once, but Matthew Perry’s over the top overacting got annoying fast.

23. lindsay says:

Literally forgot this was even a show.

24. Mark says:

I’m surprised it took this long. The show was hit or miss, but I would have come back for more.

25. Catherine says:

26. haldrey says:

Of course I am upset, it was a great silly-funny comedy show and we do need more of them and less drama. Yvette Nicole Brown was more like an extra, not really needed and easily replaceable.

27. lighthouse69 says:

Totally devasted! Haven’t stopped crying since I heard!😭 CBS doesn’t know good comedy if it smacked them in the face! You just lost a viewer! #Boycottcbs

28. Anonymous says:

3 seasons? I thought this trash got cancelled after season 1.

29. LMF says:

Odd couple cancelled again. How many times does it take. I liked it. Sure beats some of the ones on now such as superstore, great news, great indoors..oh well but still once is enough. You can cancel, uncancel but cancel and cancel..huh?

30. Nancy says:

This is a excellent show. It ridiculous that anything that isn’t reality or NCIS,gets cancelled. The primary channels are worthless.

31. Chas says:

The show was ok, good Monday night filler,I would have rather seen that liberal hack Colbert go but it is what it is. I DON’T watch his ridiculous show anyway he is as worthless as Samantha bee. Kinda wish cbs ended the series with better closure but oh well.

32. Darlene says:

Not surprised but I would love to see Matthew in a good fit series…he’s good and funny, just needs to find his niche.