Timeless Renewed Cancelled

Timeless Cancelled at NBC, 'Odds Are Long' to Find Another Home

History has been rewritten, disregard everything below. Timeless has been renewed/un-cancelled!

Timeless fans, we’ve got some news you may want to go back in time and prevent: NBC has cancelled the time-tripping freshman drama after one season.

RELATED 2017 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Executive producer/co-creator Eric Kripke confirmed the news via Twitter, adding that the “odds are long, but trying to find another home” for the series.

Averaging 4.6 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, Timeless was NBC’s No. 6-rated drama, matching fellow freshman Chicago Justice and the recently renewed Taken and besting The Blacklist, the just-renewed Blindspot, Shades of Blue and three others. And while it enjoyed significant DVR boosts (swelling to a 2.1 rating in Live+7), the pricey series was only half-owned by NBC.

The show’s Season 1 finale — which now will serve as a series finale — ended on a cliffhanger, with Lucy discovering that her mother Carol is part of the mysterious Rittenhouse organization. Kripke told TVLine that Season 2 would offer more clarity on why Carol kept her affiliation a secret from her daughter and on the group’s plans for Lucy.

Meanwhile, Jiya witnessed a “flickering between the Golden Gate Bridge present day and then the year when it was being constructed. What does that mean, and what is happening to her, and what is she able to see, and how does that grow and change in Season 2 becomes part of the story,” the EP teased.

Are you disappointed Lucy, Wyatt and Rufus’ Timeless adventures are over?

1. Goldenvibefan says:

Dang that sucks. It was one of my favourite new shows of the year. It will be missed.

2. Ray says:

I couldn’t make it past (or even through) the pilot, my I’m sorry for the fans.

• Annie Sisk says:

I struggled through a handful but it just wasn’t super high quality. Definitely *not* “peak TV.” Which was super-disappointing, frankly, since I utterly adored Abigail Spencer’s fraught, complex work in Rectify.

• Annie Sisk says:

BUT yes. It obviously had a lot of passionate fans and I am sorry for y’all. It sucks to lose a favorite.

• Michael Summerset says:

It wasn’t great but it was one of the better new shows. It was definitely better than Time After Time. But it deteriorated too quickly into revisionist history which I hoped it wouldn’t. When you have to make a bunch of NASA rocket scientists look like buffoons then you know you’re doing something wrong. And the show didn’t have the humor or playful character interaction Supernatural does.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Yeah, I always thought it would’ve been cooler if they “changed” history to match actual history, rather than away from it. In the “original” history, Seward was also assassinated, Flynn wanted to add Johnson & Grant to the list, and the team managed to save the three of them but not Lincoln. Make “Space Race” about Apollo 13, which was originally successful; Flynn sabotaged it so the crew would be lost and confidence in NASA would be lessened, but the team managed to help bring them back to Earth. Etc.

• ninergrl6 says:

I think it has a lot of humor and banter between the characters; that’s one of the aspects that maintained my interest beyond the history-lesson-of-the-week. NBC put it on too late for its tone. It’s an 8/9 pm show.

• Stacy says:

This. I enjoyed the show enough to watch the whole first season, and I particularly loved Malcolm Barrett. However, the writing was not as strong as I was hoping for, and I wasn’t shocked it was cancelled. I think they were hoping the pricey show would be this season’s Lost – the adventure family drama.

3. KLS says:

I think this show took too long to get going, to find its audience. Even though, reportedly, it got better, I tried the first few episodes and bailed.

4. Lyndy says:

FFS NBC ….this sucks.
    First Pitch, now Timeless…..I need to lie down.

• Lyndy says:

**I know Pitch was on Fox…it’s just that my fav shows are a getting canned :-(

• Katherine215 says:

I feel the same way about both those.
      Networks really need to face the new ratings reality – averaging around a 1.0 is *good* now. Otherwise, we are constantly going to see one and done seasons, and how will they EVER get viewers to watch their shows? So disappointed.

• Haz says:

Also shows need to be able to find their creative footing in the first few episodes. I’ll be honest I dropped Timeless at episode 3 but after reading it finally found its footing I was going to go back to watching it on Hulu but never did. Braindead had an AWFUL pilot but by episode three it found its footing and was a really awesome show.

• Gern Blanston says:

Whenever I read a comment like this I’m always curious if the show actually “found it’s footing” or if you just got used to the bad parts and they stopped bugging you. I watched every episode of Timeless because my wife liked the show and I would say that it never got better. What didn’t work at the beginning still wasn’t working at the end. But, I can say that the bad parts didn’t bug me as much because I could see them coming a mile away and by the second half of the season I was used to them.

• Stacy says:

Some shows really do get better and stronger. Time to develop the cast chemistry, figuring out what character attributes work and what doesn’t, and in comedies develop longer running jokes. That said, I agree that Timeless didn’t fix its faults as the season progressed. Sometimes I find myself watching a show because I *hope* it will get better, and it doesn’t. I’m curious — what didn’t work for you about Timeless?

• ninergrl6 says:

Braindead got better & better every episode. As it went on it found the humor/horror balance. GAH so many network shows with creative potential! Yet we have a thousand cop/lawyer procedurals that run for YEARS. So frustrating.

• Mike M says:

I definitely agree about Braindead. It sounded ridiculous and it started pretty much as expected – but it turned out to be one crazy little gem. The musical intro each week was worth tuning in for all by itself.

• Allie says:

I completely agree! I am actually scares to start watching new shows anymore!

• TheDuck says:

Honestly (given the numbers), had NBC owned the show outright (instead of only holding a 50% stake) it probably would’ve been renewed. I miss the days when networks couldn’t produce their own programming…

• Ben says:

Yeah, those were probably the two shows I was most looking forward to making their way over to my shores. Now they probably won’t.

• TJ says:

Same here… I really enjoyed Pitch too.

5. Nicole says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Susan says:

I agree. This is the one new show I really loved. I guess you have to be a cop show . NBC = nothing but cops.

6. Butch says:

Not surprising since they renewed that other show but damn I like Timeless. Boo!

7. Gary Munn says:

DAMN!!!!

8. Damn. This was one of the good ones :(

9. Brody says:

Utter BS.
    Fantastic show, fantastic cast. Totally wrong decision here.

10. This makes me mad. This was the 2nd best new show of the year behind This is Us! Oh well, another blow for intelligent television that actually educates

• Katie T says:

Totally agree on this! Timeless and This is Us were the two best new shows for me this year. Ridiculous decision to cancel it when you see what NBC have so far renewed

• ninergrl6 says:

I liked Timeless TONS more than This Is Us. Give me a genre show over “reality” any day.

• Kevin Houtz says:

Agree. This Is Us and Timeless were tops for me.

• peb says:

Completely agree! No new shows were close to the This Is Us breakout hit, but Timeless was the next best new show. Time travel shows will never be perfect, but Timeless gave us interesting pieces of history and the three leads had great chemistry. Always looked forward to watching it. It’s very disappointing to see lesser shows renewed just because they belong to the network and are more cost efficient. Look at all the shows it beat in the USA Today readers poll.

• bearyweather says:

Totally agree … cancelling a show that is educational, with a complex plot that actually makes you think is extremely stupid of NBC… there just are no other shows doing that. It was actually unique with a great, likeable cast and a window for so much historic content. Will be really missed … HOPING a SMART network picks it up. Keeping just the canned, predictable junk with no substance is a waste.

• txbritgal says:

Word just came that NBC OFFICIALLY changed their minds!!! TIMELESS has officially been picked up for second season. I guess they saw how many fans were livid with the cancellation.

11. Steven says:

Loved the first few episodes, but it got old very quickly. Love the cast though!

• Jules says:

Ditto. I love time travel and liked Timeless a lot when it started, but things fell apart pretty quickly. They messed with a lot of history, which you’d think would’ve been their number one rule. I’m surprised they didn’t come back to find doughnuts raining from the sky after they changed history once too often. It just got silly.

12. Gerald says:

Noooo. The only good time travelling show (other than Flash)

13. This is why it doesn’t pay to get attached to any new show on NBC. They are too quick to pull the trigger.

14. Asia says:

NBC doesn’t care about passionate fan bases. I’m not watching anything new this season. And there’s goes my reason for watching NBC.

15. Leona says:

Darn! I enjoyed Timeless. It was nice mindless entertainment.

16. Helen says:

Really disappointing. I loved this show and was looking forward to a new season. WORST.

17. Mike says:

well that sucks

18. btm says:

Although it had been telegraphed for some time, this is still a shame. It developed into a nice little show. “Hey, at least they freed up another time slot for another crime procedural/medical drama!” said no one, ever.

19. skrable2a says:

Sad to see it go. Liked the cast, and the attitude … but it played itself out for us. If they had stayed within a self-contained story each week, might have worked better. The entire “Rittenhouse” conspiracy really dragged down the rest of the show.

• Katherine215 says:

I felt they needed an overarching story line and rather liked the RIttenhouse conspiracy. I like serialized drama far more than case of the week shows.

• skrable2 says:

There’s some serialized stuff that I really like …. loved Forever, for instance. Maybe it was just this particular arc that rang false for me. I’m just done with powerful conspiracies as a plot engine.

20. S says:

We knew this was coming but in what world does it make sense to cancel this but renew Taken which had basically the same ratings and demo??

• Alichat says:

NBC probably owns Taken outright. And it may cost less to produce. Time travel = period clothing and period sets = $$ Add to that the CGI costs too.

21. Alichat says:

Noooooo!!!! Come on! This just sucks!

22. Big Mike says:

BOO!!!

23. maregolden says:

I was expecting this as soon as I saw the renewal for Blindspot. Too bad. I really liked the characters.

24. cej says:

Darn! Another show that I liked that didn’t make it to season 2. Curse of the “endless” title. Forever, Limitless, Timeless.

25. Michael David Lock says:

That is what I get for giving an NBC show a chance. Really liked the show and actually watched it live.

26. Jennifer says:

CRAP CRAP CRAP AND MORE CRAP. This Sux. This was such a good show. Why?!?! Can it be shopped around?!??!

• txbritgal says:

Oh happy day!! Word just dropped that NBC has OFFICIALLY changed their minds and renewed timeless for a second season!!!

27. CaptMediocre says:

For me, the mysterious Rittenhouse was why this show never gained any traction.

28. Spikenalabama says:

I was really hoping this would not happen. I really enjoyed this show. So they renew the crap shows Taken and Shades of Blue (which get the same average ratings) but cancel an intelligent, good show like Timeless? I don’t understand.

29. Lisa says:

Dang it! I knew it was coming though with both Taken & Blindspot renewed. Can’t have everything some have to die. RIP Timeless you were a great show.

• cej says:

I could not get into Taken and am really tired of Blindspot. Guess I am not NBC’s demo. I loved Timeless!

30. Pat says:

Oh boy, this really makes me mad. I liked this show and everytime I invest in a new show that I am enjoying, it gets the axe. I am really fed up with these networks.

31. S. Land says:

Sure wish I could choose some of the shows that get cancelled. Get rid of some of the dumb reality shows that are only watched by 25-35 year olds. Don’t you idiots realize it’s us over 50 who are home more to watch TV.

32. Jennifer says:

Please – they cancel a great show like this but keep Blindspot and crappy reality shows? Between this and Emerald City, i think i need to boycott NBC. As much as I like the Chicago shows (and SVU) the medical / police procedural shows are getting overdone. Timeless, Emerald City, they were DIFFERENT. ERGO, they had to go.

33. chadcronin says:

LOL at one person commenting this is intelligent television that actually educates then 5 comments down someone else called it nice mindless entertainment

34. Alicia says:

This was by far the best of the new time travel dramas this year.

35. Michelle says:

So it had better ratings than a bunch of already renewed shows, but it got canceled? Yup. Thats the NBC standard. Smh. What. Disgrace. This show is fantastic. Hopefully another network decides to pick it up. Because it really is THAT good!

36. kirads09 says:

Gutted. I truly am.

37. DebG says:

I wanted to love this show. I’m a sucker for time travel stories. As it turned out I thought it was good, not great. I wanted the network to give it a chance to get better. Guess that’s not going to happen now

38. Jason says:

Nuts. Why Taken gets the nod and Timeless doesn’t, is a mystery to me. Sci-Fi always gets the short straw on the big networks.

• ninergrl6 says:

Yep. I should know better by now. The only two NBC shows I watched were Grimm and Timeless, both genre shows, both gone now.

39. Shannon D'Orsi says:

First No Tomorrow, then Emerald City now this! All of my favorites bit the dust. This show was one of my favorites in a long time. I wish they would have cancelled Blindspot, which is a poorly acted mess instead of Timeless. It’s to the point I hate even giving new shows a chance seems the good ones never make it :( Guess it’s too much to hope for a resurrection on SyFy?

• Temperance says:

Blindspot isn’t poorly acted, but the plot lines got muddy and unclear and it got bogged down and tedious though most of the middle of this year.

40. Mike says:

That really stinks although I knew it was a strong possibility.

But it’s the shows that got renewed instead that angers me.

The Blindspot? Chicago Med? Really?

41. Sue says:

WHAT!?!? That SUCKS!!! I really enjoyed watching that show, it had so much going for it and the actors were awesome!

42. Liz says:

Wow, NBC and I really don’t think alike. It is keeping all the shows that I was never interested in (Taken), and all the shows that I have stopped watching (Blindspot), and cancelled all the ones that I actually watch (Emerald City and Timeless).

Maybe someone is telling me to watch less TV.

43. MzTeaze says:

I’m disappointed but expected it because I read the costs per episode was the issue.

44. Dan the critic says:

A really big BOO. Timeless was one of NBC’s best shows, surely ahead of Taken and Blindspot.
    NBC u later.

45. Temperance says:

Aw… I know it started out a little rough, but it was getting really good about half way through the season. I actually thought it deserved another season.

46. Maureen says:

So sad! Won’t be in a hurry to watch ANYTHING on NBC in the future!

47. Kelley says:

Boo NBC! I loved this show. You renewed Taken and not Timeless?!! Poor form, NBC.

48. Dominique says:

deeply, DEEPLY disappointed and bitter about this. i feel like NBC is that network who would rather play it VERY safe and hang on to tv shows that have been around forever, than renew something that has so much potential and such a huge fanbase. NBC is afraid to take chances.
    is there any chance another network might pick this up?

• txbritgal says:

NBC actually WOKE UP! OFFICIALLY renewed TIMELESS for season 2!!! They must’ve seen the outpouring of upset fans because shock of all shocks…. they REVERSED THEIR DECISION and renewed the show ::::::HAPOY DANCE::::::

49. LMF says:

that’s to bad. This was a good show. They keep stupid shows and cancel the good ones. Pure Genius was another good show cancelled..Timeless was a good show, good cast.