the voice recap top 10 results

The Voice Top 10 Results Show Recap: Were the Right Singers Sent Home?

This recap of The Voice’s Top 10 results show practically wrote itself — before the episode had even begun. After Monday’s performances, I was so sure that Mark Isaiah and Lilli Passero were toast that I was already thinking of how to analyze their downfalls. (For him, youthful inexperience from which not even his poreless teen-idol complexion could distract forever; for her, inconsistent performances and a few song selections that smacked of sabotage.) But was I right to count them out?

Prior to learning which singers received the fewest votes, we were treated to a performance of “I Could Use a Love Song” by Maren Morris, who it was interesting to realize wasn’t as impressive as Lauren Duski, and “Attention” by Charlie Puth, whose falsetto it wasn’t a surprise to hear was everything poor Mark’s isn’t. (Also: hot song.) And as for the vocalists advancing to the semifinals…

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Aliyah Moulden (Team Blake)
Chris Blue (Team Alicia)
Lauren Duski (Team Blake)
Hunter Plake (Team Gwen)
Jesse Larson (Team Adam)
Brennley Brown (Team Gwen)
TSoul (Team Blake)

Bottom 3

Lilli Passero (Team Adam), “Stormy Weather” — Grade: B- | Lilli needed to be freakin’ flawless at this point to save her butt. And she got off to a pretty strong start — certainly better than Monday’s best-forgotten “Unforgettable.” There were a coupla moments of pitchiness, but overall, very good. Just probably not good enough to buy her a reprieve.

Mark Isaiah (Team Adam), “Sorry” — Grade: D | Oh dear. This was just painful. I don’t want to kick a kid when he’s down, but this was so bad that, instead of sing, he should have just said “sorry” and been done with it. For this, we lost Stephanie Rice? In a word: ugh.

Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia), “For Once in My Life” — Grade: B | The song choice seemed a little middle-of-the-road and dull for Vanessa, especially since she hadn’t rearranged it in some new, novel way. However, the appealing rasp in her voice, the confidence with which she sang and especially that last note made her seem like a shoo-in to advance to the semis.

Saved: Vanessa Ferguson

Eliminated: Mark Isaiah, Lilli Passero

Which singer would you have sent home? Vote in the poll below, then hit the comments.

1. MMD says:

I think that the right people were eliminated tonight.

• OhMy says:

Well, other than there are still contestants, somehow.

• bobsaccamanna says:

lol, yeah still 8 left, when we are down to Lauren and Brennley , then all the right people will have been sent home. JMO

• kevstar69 says:

Lauren and Brennley are both kinda boring for me. Competent, but not looking for the Voice, Country Edition.

• Meme says:

Lauren is so boring that if she wins it will be a tragic mistake. I can see her in Nashville Clubs, but not filling up a major arena and I would not buy her albums. I would go to a Chris Blue concert and have already bought his music. He needs more people voting for him – the star of The Voice this season!!!!

• Lizzie says:

Hope Brennley will not be in the finale, although she may have a chance at a music career. The weak singing and poor pitch of both Mark and Lillie – how did they stay until now, is a better question than whether or not they should be the ones to go – and Adam’s song choices for these two have been bad, not showcasing whatever it is they’ve got. Vanessa deserves to stay. Several of those remaining have had pitch or vocal quality issues, and unless their earpieces aren’t working there really is no excuse for not singing on key. Singers should sing in tune. The best at this point, singers and performance quality, are Chris, Lauren, Aliyah, Jessie, and Vanessa. Not sure who will be there at the end, but these could all have a recording career, along with Hunter who I like most but not all of the time. T-Soul has some very good performances, and some not so much, mostly due to bad habits from his own time on stages elsewhere, and his voice isn’t my favorite of those remaining. Vanessa and Jessie are multi-talented musicians, and Chris Blue is an outstanding performer, so at home on the stage.

• Monica MacLellan says:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is always about the song choices as well. No matter who the artist is, amateur or professional

• Meme says:

Hunter is super-boring although he does have something. Chris is The Voice!

• ANGUS MCFEE says:

You nailed it… with one exception. Vanessa has shown herself to be deserving as well.. She is multi-faceted.

2. skrable2a says:

Next week, The Voice’s version of The Red Wedding

3. Jon says:

How is it that Blake still has 4 people left?

• Jen says:

Brennley is on Gwen’s team

• Smokey says:

Yes, Blake has Lauren Duski, Aliyah Moulden and T-Soul in the top 8. Gwen has Brennley Brown and Hunter Plake,,, Alicia has Vanessa Ferguson & Chris Blue and Adam is the weakest, with only Jesse Larson left……………..does anyone know if there will be 4 eliminations next week or 3??

• trainerbt says:

Next week, half get chopped, leaving us with final four the following week.

• Voice Fan says:

If they follow the precedent of other shows, there will be four singers in the finale. The three top vote getters will automatically go into the finales. Three singers will automatically go home and two will sing for the twitter save.

• Voice Fan says:

I predict the top three vote getters in the semi finals will be Lauren, Hunter and Brennley. I predict Alija, T Soul and Vanessa will go home instantly and Chris and Jesse will sing for the instant save.

• Smokey says:

So a make-it or break-it week for song choices, your coaches twitter followers and order of performance. .

• MamaLis says:

@ VoiceFan – I agree with most of your forecasting. EXCEPT…. there’s no way Chris Blue is in the bottom. IMO he’s the last man standing, with Lauren being the last female. Jesse’s had a remarkably long, lucky ride but I can’t see it continuing much longer.

Maybe that leaves Jessie & Brennley.

• Meme says:

Jesse could win the whole thing actually. He’s a talent. I would like to see him and Chris Blue be the last 2 standing.

• skrable2a says:

Now, let’s cut Charlie some slack for making that mistake. It’s not as though it’s his job to keep track of things like this

• Voice Fan says:

What mistake?

• Smokey says:

I thin the moderator accidentally listed Brennley as on Blake’s team above. There seems to be plenty of dialogue between Blake and Gwen over Bennley, so it’s an easy thought to make in your thinker..

• Gailer says:

A singer would have to be crazy not to pick Blake if the opportunity is there! I assume voters online just check all the votes for all his singers.

• Mar says:

Blake has 3 ppl leftlol have seen this happen before

4. dlraetz says:

I wish Lilly had survived. Adam and she never really found her groove but I think she had the potential to be great

5. Smokey says:

It was predictable and Adam lost 2 players. Lilli will move-on to planning her wedding if what I read on another source is true, and on with her aspirations in an acting career. …………………also seen that American Idol is going to re-appear, but on ABC next year.

• Voice Fan says:

If I had a chance to vote I would have voted for Lili because she is the total package. She has a beautiful voice and face and is an elegant performer. She will be successful on Broadway.

• JK3 says:

Nothing that she has done on the show has shown that she can handle the rigors of a Broadway show requiring her to hit musical notes. She’d be fantastic in movie musicals (thanks to post-production) though.

• Jessy says:

I agree with you…I’ve seen many a Broadway show, this girl will never be on Broadway. I’m sorry to be so mean – but it’s true.

• Lizzie says:

Girl doesn’t have a Broadway voice or stage presence. I have enjoyed several of her performances, but last night as she was singing, I was thinking that waitress career is going to go on a little longer.

• Team Can't Vote for the Save says:

She might find a job in the all-night lounge on a cruise ship to Alaska. Beyond that, there won’t be a singing career for this woman. How she made it this far is beyond me.

6. Davey says:

Adam should never have saved Mark from the very beginning. They want a woman judge to win this season, though Blake will probably do it again with Lauren.

• Smokey says:

Next week will be an interesting cross-fire / Vanessa will drain votes from Chris Blue for devoted Alicia fans. Brennley and Lauren will be splitting votes in the Country Lane unless Brennley goes Pop and takes-on Hunter for the Pop vote. T-Soul and Jesse Larson will be in a scuffle for getting votes from the crowd not devoted to Alicia or simply Country voters. Aliyah has been made to try different lanes/styles of music, yet has survived so far, without a direct connection to a specific trajectory.

• Voice Fan says:

I disagree that the votes will be split. Country fans vote for country singers no matter whose team they are on. Country fans including myself are voting for both Lauren and Brennley because they are neck and neck, with Lauren selling more I-Tunes songs. In Season 9 country fans voted for Team Adam’s country singer Shelby Brown and Blake’s country singer Emily Ann Roberts. Shelby made it to the semi finals and Emily Ann to the finale. In Season 10 country fans also voted for Adam Wakefield Blake’s country singer and Josh Gallagher Adam’s country singer and they both made it to the finale. I also don’t think Chris and Vanessa will split any votes. Alicia’s fans will vote for both of them. I give all my singers the maximum votes. I don’t split any votes.

• Smokey says:

yes,,, but i see a possibility for a perfect storm for a favorite to get bounced…… itunes told the story this week, but next week could get real close between several players…………. Chris Blue was in a cluster of other players, sitting below Hunter and Lauren this week on itunes sales. If Vanessa does well this week and gets enough votes, she could pull-away some of the support for others, including Chris.. Aliyah is in a world of her own with growing support…………. The Country vote is strong and will stay Country.. ….. Jesse has become a lightening rod for voters who want different than the norm ……….Brennley is becoming a force …. Chris may not be an automatic walk-in to the top 3 that don’t have to face a sing-off, if that’s the way it works next week..

• Voice Fan says:

Smokey, I agree that Chris will not be an automatic walk in to the top 3. Lauren, Hunter and Brennley have all gotten in the top 10 on I-Tunes and Chris has not. I suspect Lauren, Hunter and Brennley will be the top 3. Don’t underestimate Blake’s fan base voting power. I wouldn’t be surprised if T-Soul and/or Alija might end up singing for the fourth spot. In the Season 9 semi finals Blake’s Emily Ann Roberts and Barrett Baber made the top 3 and Blake’s Zach Seabaugh sang for the fourth spot and Jeffrey Austin beat him out. I don’t think Vanessa has a chance in the top 4 since she had to be saved last night.

• Lizzie says:

I kind of hate that your evaluation may be true. I wish people would vote for the singer who has the most of everything going for them, regardless of genre or coach. Vocal quality, performance, stage presence, are they captivating, would you buy their music, did that just look like a performance that could be on the Grammy’s stage – that’s what I am thinking about during these performances. Vanessa and Chris aren’t alike to me, and if Brennley pulls votes from Lauren in any way, that will really tick me off. Jessie is kind of a blast.

• Lizzie says:

Adam shouldn’t have saved Mark from the very beginning because Mark isn’t top-tier boy-band talent, as Adam kind of was pushing.

• Meme says:

Alicia should win with Chris Blue…no mistake! He has the most potential of all of them.

7. Isabel says:

I do not understand why you put in the bottom the best like tonight the Ferguson girl and last week you eliminated a great artist

8. Mick Akecander says:

Can’t stand Hunter Plake will love to see him go!

• Jessy says:

Hunter will be in the finals. Lauren also. I think Chris Blue will make the finals – but aren’t as sure on that. Out for sure next week: Aliyah, Jesse, Vanessa, TSoul.

• Meme says:

Hunter needs to go…BORING, BORING! Sounds the same every single week…no diversity at all and I can hardly listen anymore.

• Derik says:

Hunter is the only one I listen to. His style is low key, but he’s the only one who does anything to change his songs up and make them original. Everyone else this season is a glorified karaoke singer. Also, he knows his chord progressions and knows how to play with them. You know, something an actual musician is supposed to know how to do.

• Eileen says:

Absolutely! Hunter is the best. Stage presence plus he does his own productions, creative and let’s not forget his perfect-pitch VOICE – which is what the show’s supposed to be about. He’s the only one whose record I would buy.

9. skrable2a says:

Lauren and Hunter have had the most consistent iTunes following, and Brenley will benefit from the country vote. That leaves one spot — and it could become extremely fascinating from a sociological perspective. Chris and Vanessa have been among the two or three best all season long; but Jesse will now get all of the attention from Adam and his fanbase.
    Depending on iTunes charting and any unexpected developments, poor Carson might be in a very uncomfortable spot next Tuesday night.

• Johnson says:

Interesting observation. Jesse and Vanessa , and maybe Aliyah?, might steal some thunder from Chris now that the field is narrowing. They are not a threat to the Country group or Hunter’s Pop fans.

10. Alan Ng says:

Brennley is team Gwen not Blake!

11. Annie says:

I think Lauren duski should win, she is best one this season.

• Johnson says:

Lauren Duski, will go places, win or not, shes going to have a spot on the Country Music field in the future. Don’t be surprised if Brennley Brown goes crossover Pop/Country and gets signed by a major label after the show. At 15, she’s got many options ahead.

12. Kathleen Coplan says:

Don’t think the,overall top 10 r as,worthy of the voice,as in past seasons too much same old,same old,from most of the,contedtsnts, brenlenny ,Lauren and chris r the only true possible star’s. really believe,Lauren will be very successful in country music( win or lose the voice )

13. Biobo says:

Predicable outcome last night, but the pressure is really st

• Biobo says:

(What’s with this phone?)Pressure is really starting to wear on contestants. Whoever handles that best will move forward… Chris is a great performer, but Lauren just seems more at peace with where she is… Brenley and Aliyah could both surprise! Watch and see!

• Johnson says:

It is possible that Brennley and/or Aliyah might gain more momentum now that Mark and Lilli are out of the race – so you may be right that one of these young singers could become a major factor in the run for final 4. If Brennley makes it, it won’t be a big surprise to me, but if Aliyah makes it, it will probably surprise many . I wouldn’t count Aliyah out if she picks the right type of song for her style and voice, she is very likeable.

14. Peggy Faya says:

The talent is unbelievable I know how it must hurt the contestants and the coaches..I adore the Vouce

15. Meme says:

Chris Blue needs to be in the finale, even if he isn’t COUNTRY! He has an amazing voice and you can’t take your eyes off of him when he’s performing or you might miss something really special in an eye-blink. VOTE FOR CHRIS NEXT WEEK to have him in the FINALE.

16. Mar says:

I honestly think steph rice should have stayed instead of lilli and mark bothbare not the strongest of singers i have been watching this show since season 1 many have been exellent singers blake has a very strong team this year vanessa is a very goodcone and so is jesse t soul im not that crwzy about brenlee is ok but very inexperienced she will be a good one with more coaching and age lauren is spot on and Omg alyiah is so good she is going to give them all a run for their money for sure it is going to be interesting to watch these next couple of shows!!!!!!!$s

17. knix43 says:

In my opinion, the voting for this show is racially biased. There’s been a pattern over the years of the show of strong black female contestants being voted off earlier than their talent indicated. (Anyone else remember Judith Hill?) This season, I love Vanessa. Her voice is so powerful, especially compared to those of forgettable insipid white girls Brennley and Lauren. Black men fare slightly better on the show, so maybe the extremely talented Chris Blue can make it to the semis. I honestly don’t think even Alicia Keys, if she herself were a contestant, would make it through this show’s bigoted country voting block, sad to say.

• Biobo says:

Don’t you have anything better than that racial card? What about all the little screaming, waving pop fans who walk around with their phones everywhere? What about those who didn’t vote for Stephanie because she was a wounded gay,albeit very talented artist?
      Face it, fan, people determine winners by what they buy! And they buy what they like! Get over it, and leave the racial card in the deck!

• knix43 says:

Biobo, just citing history here. No black person has ever won The Voice. Black women, especially, are sent home sooner than white females on this show. I’m on old white lady and certainly not trying to play a “racial card” but stating the truth. I’m sorry if it’s offensive to you, though. Peace.

• Troll says:

Not true, check the history of the show and you will see that there have been Black Americans that won the show. JAVIER COLON and JERMAINE PAUL.

18. Tiffany Tch says:

Its about time Mark Isaiah go home. Sorry.

19. You’re a bit too hard on Mark. He’s handled the pressure very well to date, but Adam has advocated for him, so that helped. Now that Adam had two in the bottom two and only one could be saved, Adam pulled a Sophie’s Choice and gave Mark up. I’d give a bad performance too. Few people would do well under those circumstances. Contestants need to look at any opportunity to perform on TV as a positive thing, a showcase opportunity rather than a traumatic experience. Then, maybe those save performances would really mean something.

• Lizzie says:

Mark’s pitch and vocal quality were not good enough for him to stay. Both he and Lillie showed that they aren’t up to the rest.