the voice recap top 12 results show

The Voice Top 12 Results Show Recap: Did the Right Singer Get the Boot?

Going into The Voice’s Top 12 results show Tuesday, Vanessa Ferguson, Brennley Brown, Chris Blue, Aliyah Moulden and Lauren Duski had to be feeling pretty confident, based on their standout performances Monday. And, given your outpouring of support for Troy Ramey — roll your eyes all you want, I still don’t get it — he probably wasn’t sweating too much, either. That left Stephanie Rice, TSoul and Mark Isaiah — all of whom, like Troy, had to be saved by their coaches during the Live Playoffs — looking especially vulnerable.

Between the announcements of the singers who were advancing, Carson Daly announced the formation of the Christina Grimmie Foundation benefiting those affected by gun violence and breast cancer, and Adam Levine and his team dedicated their version of “Hey Jude” to her. (Given the solemnity of the moment, let’s not mention all of the bum notes included therein. But we know whose they were.) Hunter Plake G-Eazy rapped “Good Life” accompanied by about three times as many people as are left competing in the The Voice. Blake Shelton and his team performed John Lennon’s “Crippled Inside” like it was four different songs awkwardly smushed together.

And in the moments of truth…

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Brennley Brown (Team Gwen)
Jesse Larson (Team Adam)
Lauren Duski (Team Blake)
Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia)
Aliyah Moulden (Team Blake)
Lilli Passero (Team Adam)
Chris Blue (Team Alicia)
Hunter Plake (Team Gwen)
TSoul (Team Blake)
Stephanie Rice (Team Alicia)

Bottom Two
Troy Ramey (Team Gwen), “Drift Away” — Grade: C |
Though Troy chose his own number (as did Mark Isaiah), his restrained version of the golden oldie didn’t give the impression that he was singing for his life. And for me, it only reinforced that he was a Jesse Larson with less personality (yes, no matter how many times the coaches told us he was hilarious!).

Mark Isaiah (Team Adam), “When I Was Your Man” — Grade: B | Though the teen hit an “oops” note here or there, this was probably the best performance he’s given over the course of the contest. It wasn’t gonna leave Bruno Mars shaking in his boots, but at least it hinted at the star quality that Adam’s always insisted he has.

Saved: Mark Isaiah
Eliminated:
Troy Ramey

So, which of the Top 12 singers would you have sent home? Vote in the poll below, then hit the comments.

1. Gailer says:

Your grades were spot on, lowest grades were bottom 2 I believe.

2. Angie_Overrated says:

The right singer did indeed get the boot. This would have been my choice based on last night’s performances, though I thought there were a few singers who did more poorly than Mark.

3. Kate says:

Last night was bad for Troy but I would have kept him over Mark. I just have a hard time getting excited over Mark. Hopefully the coaches will talk to their contestants this week about not butchering the words! So many times last night I was thinking to myself I thought I knew the words to this song but maybe not!! It’s fine to make a song your own but don’t do it by making the words unrecognizable.

4. Smokey says:

Mark chose a modern, very, very popular song just a few years ago, that the younger voters strongly identified with, and didn’t offend the voter over 25…… So he won but was it close? ……….Troy was also a coaches save, and not a big surprise he was dropped, even though a much better singer than some still in it. …We never got much personality exposure from the show for him, just a big stocky, quiet guy with a good voice.

5. analythinker says:

Goes without saying that you’ve got to show your personality in this competition. Lilli did very poorly last night, IMO, and Aliyah & Mark may need more training, but Troy (as a person) was unreadable most of the time.

6. ggdub says:

Meh, it was a toss up – neither one was ever going to last long.

7. Israel Moore says:

I love my lilli passero I really want her to win, even though that most likely will be between chris blue, hunter pike for some reason he is not great to me, and Brennley Brown.. I would have put her in the bottom, and I want my favorites to stop picking Adam I don’t know if it his competitiveness or what, but he has become one of horrible coach for singers in that wheel house,, and its not good for my heart or my psyche I cant watch Ali Caldwell, Kimberly Nichole 2.0 even though that were not a team Adam contestants, but still I cant bear it.. but unfortunately as much I love her and hate to say it ,I would have put her in at least the bottom 3 or 4 this week, she needs to bring that girl from blinds or she is unfortunately going home, hard pill to swallow, but true.. I think Adam and her need to collaborate more cause to me him or Alicia to be honest have not figured out her voice or a majority of their singers voices and their wheel house I noticed that in battle rounds cause the song choices and the decisions were baffling.. Lilli I love you Kill next week I want you to make it to the finale! Give Chris a run for his money!!!

8. Barry says:

The public got it right tonight, and I doubt that it is because of teenage girls voting like many people I assume are gonna claim. Mark is a nice singer (if not necessarly great), the problem is that Adam is doing such a crappy job at coaching that he is picking the wrong songs each week for his contestants. Look at tonight, Mark picked his song and bum, he gives a decent performance. I’m so happy that Lilli made it through despite last night trainwreck, she is so much better than that. After tonight if I were Lilli, Mark or Jesse I would completely stop listening to Adam, period.

• Smokey says:

I agree that Adam has put some horribly bad song choices on his team, especially what Shania and Adam did in pushing Lilli into that old song that was totally wrong for her. Was happy to see that Lilli somehow survived for another week.

• Johnson says:

True , The young girl, teen, early 20’s block of voters are not the biggest “block” of voters for this show, however, they are a significantly bigger block than was the case during Idols final years. Many young girls, young women watch “The Voice” that never were interested in the final few years of Idol and their aging program format.

.The average age block for The voice is likely 35 to 60… The Country block is probably the strongest, but note that Alicia , (as well as Blake), avoided a bottom 2, with the R&B/Soul genre along with the Stephanie Rice Pop song.The bottom 2 sing-off was between Gwen’s and Adam’s saves.

9. Annie says:

He is not good at all , adm should choice long hair guy he is much better

10. Annie says:

Arm so wrong he should choice long hair guy he is much better mark

11. kevstar69 says:

I told you Lilli wasn’t going anywhere. She sang a country song by the “best selling female country artist”.
    The country base will fall for anything. Next week she should sing “Jesus Take the Wheel”, and no matter how many notes she screws up, she’ll make it through. Guaranteed.

12. Smokey says:

I listened to the studio cuts of Lauren and Brennley’s songs today. Brennley still has a slightly high voice at 15, but emot’s well,,, …………………………Brennley Brown was on America’s Got Talent last year I believe, at the age of 14., – Lauren sounds like a smooth voiced current Country artist you might hear on the radio. She now lives in Nashville .

13. john says:

Everybody should watch out for Jesse larsson he doesn’t make the iTunes top 200 but is the second person with the highest vote

• Collin says:

That may be true. Although I have no idea how you would know that. But since the iTunes multiplyer came into effect, no one has ever won this without consistently being in the top ten of iTunes.

• Smokey says:

Plus, they talk about the “overall” body of work through May, that must mean itune total sales will figure-in. Right now that is probably Hunter Plake and Chris Blue,,,,,,,,,,,, ?

Also, Jesse Larson is probably not well entrenched, in sales or eventually needing to take-on the power of the Country or Pop or R&B vote. A fun guy to watch but I don’t see him making top 4. He was the only one, right now, not even showing in the top 200, after Adam had him skip the guitar and sing a song that didn’t connect well for his style.

• keane says:

I believe it’s the Adam effect, and people kind of see him as a Sundance head

• Voice Fan says:

Just because Jesse’s name was called second doesn’t mean he got the second highest votes. Carson says the names are called in no particular order. But he always calls first the name of the singer who was the highest on I-Tunes and then second the singer who was third lowest on I-Tunes. So that means Jesse got the third least votes..

14. Collin says:

Chris Blue is the best artist this show has ever had on. He’s got the whole package. But he’s far from a lock to win. In fact I don’t think he can even be considered the favorite at this point. Brennley has stolen americas heart and is in the driver seat. If she continues to improve and Gwen picks the right songs, she wins. I’m ok with it. She’s very talented and country singers are the only ones that go on to have something resembling of a music career. Chris will be better off taking 2nd and having no attachments to this show. As for the rest of the contestants… Enjoy the rest of your time on the show. Hopefully it helps them somehow. Overall a lot better talent this year. Especially compared to the last couple seasons.

• OhMy says:

Yea, he’s not even close to the best ever.

• davmon says:

I agree that Chris is one of the most talented singers I have seen on this show or on TV period. Seems gifted like a Marvin Gaye or Al Green. Knows how to phrase, when to change it up. Has pockets all over his range. And handles the stage so well. But like you, I believe he might not win this increasingly mundane and predictable show. And yes, that might be best for his career–to get a big push from newfound fame but slighted in the final outcome. He would be free to take advantage and lift off. I too think Brennley could win this, if she is consistent in her quality and growth–the girl is really really good. Vanessa and Hunter also are very talented. Those would be my top 4. Lauren and Lilli would make my top 6, so long as are consistent. Although there is something I like about Stephanie, am just not sure her voice is good enough for top 6. The rest are not that memorable….Back to Chris, he is like watching an established star in a guest spot–only better; gosh, he’s good.

• Unbelievable says:

Top 3: Brennley, Chris & Hunter. I’d be happy with any of these three winning.

• Lizzie says:

Yikes, I am not interested in hearing Brennley sing any more. She overdoes every song. Best of the bunch left are Vanessa, Chris, Lauren, Jessie, and maybe Hunter, who has been sort of an odd duck but is growing on me. I can do without Brennley and Stephanie, and I’m afraid Lilly won’t be there a lot longer, but Mark should go home before she does.

15. walker says:

How does Jesse not crack the iTunes top 200 but still have the 2nd highest vote

• Collin says:

They read the names in a random order. It’s very unlikely he was second in voting

• Smokey says:

True and I think they just might fool the audience with the way they do that. ………….

They may announce the lowest vote that didn’t hit bottom 2, as 2nd or 3rd save by America – (of top 12), for instance, — giving the impression that they are easily safe, when they just barely escaped the bottom 2 by a very narrow margin.

16. Smokey says:

Last I checked the itunes top 100, for yesterday’s songs, = about 11 pm central time today after show elim’s…..

Lilli Passero 175

Aliyah Moulden 97

Troy Ramey 85

TSoul 87

Vanessa Ferguson 63

Stephanie Rice 57

Chris Blue 42

Hunter Plake 23

Lauren Duski 14

Brennley Brown 11

17. DL says:

I thought Mark at least showed some onstage charisma, while Troy tends to bore me despite his big smooth voice. I also couldn’t get over how he ignored Shania on “Free Fallin'” during Monday’s show. I literally fast forwarded through the rest of his performance once he started howling, “Yeah I’m fraaaaay” way above the melody line. Hurt my ears to listen to. He hasn’t shown himself growing or learning on the show — he sticks to his zone. This time hubris got the better of him. If Gwen Stefani and Shania Twain give you advice, listen!

18. Piers says:

Like any other reality show, it’s a popularity contest and video killed the radio star. When was the last time a plus-sized plain looking person won anything?

19. Voice Fan says:

Winners like Sawyer Frederichs, Danielle Bradberry, Cassadee Pope, Jordan Smith, Alesan Porter and Sundance Head were consistent in charting high on I Tunes from the beginning. Hunter, Lauren and Chris seem to be charting consistently on I Tunes from the blinds to now. Brennley may have been the first to crack the top ten but she can’t match the other three in I-Tunes sales. It shows that Lauren, Hunter and Chris have loyal fans who will download their songs no matter what song they sing.

• Lizzie says:

Cassadee Pope was mostly awful on the show.

• Barry says:

That’s debatable, she had many bad weeks, i’d give you that, but she also killed it 2 or 3 times during her run. Not my favorite contestant, but credit were credit is due.

• Voice Fan says:

I didn’t like the songs Cassadee sang on The Voice but I like the songs she sings now. She writes her own country/pop crossover songs and has had a hit album and three singles that hit the charts. Her duet with Chris Young was number one for several weeks. She toured with Rascal Flats and now is touring with Chris Young.

• Smokey says:

Yes, Cassadee has a good career in music, she may not be “THE” name to book a really big venue, but she is good extra-draw for the bigger names on tour, and is a pro-level singer/performer.

• Voice Fan says:

Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift and all the big name singers started out opening for other big names and then they get enough fans to support their own tour and newcomers open for them. Cassadee will get her chance.

20. david7118 says:

After announcing the Christina Grimmie Foundation Adam is brought out for a special announcement. I’m thinking he’s going to announce a sizeable donation that he’s making. But no, he’s dedicating a song to Christina. Okay, cool I guess. But wait, he’s not singing it solo since he knew her best his whole team who didn’t know her at all will be singing. But wait, the song is Hey Jude that contains the lyrics, “Hey Jude, don’t be afraid / You were made to go out and get her,” and “Hey Jude, don’t let me down / You have found her, now go and get her.” Did no one else find this song a disturbing choice?

• Voice Fan says:

Maybe “Hey Jude” was Christina’s favorite song. Most people don’t even listen to the lyrics. It’s an iconic song that a lot of people love. Her parents were not upset at his choice. They were thankful he was honoring their daughter.

• Smokey says:

Maybe that’s it, maybe it was a fav of Christina’s . I know that I and several others that were watching the show here that night, were wondering how that song had anything to do with honoring the beautiful spirit of Christina. Perhaps that explains it as it may have been one of her favorite songs.

21. Troll says:

Adam’s entire team is in shambles unless someone breaks-through with a chart-topper soon. Lilli Passero (low itunes sales) Jesse Larson (low itunes sales) Mark Isaiah (bottom 2 last performance).

Alicia’s personal fan base is also putting strong support behind her team members. T-Soul won’t survive the switch to Country or Pop and the R&B/Soul lane is too crowded.for 3 or 4 people to survive on it every week.

When is it that they start eliminating 2 or 3 at a time?

• Voice Fan says:

The last few seasons they have eliminated one singer up to the top eight and then they cut it in half for the finale. So they will eliminate four singers at once right before the finale in May.

22. kierankramer says:

Chris Blue is the best performer they’ve ever had on The Voice. Hands down. His talent at superstar level. He just needs the right songs and right management.

23. John Anthony says:

Casi Joy is better than any of the remaining performers so I guess this season’s chance of producing a star is zero. If I was to give advice I’d tell Casi to get on America’s Got Talent and prove The Voice wrong again like Rae Lynn! Maybe Blake needs to go he’s getting to old for such a young oriented show!!!! Just listened to what Blake has left, bad!