Blacklist Kaplan Flashbacks

Was Blacklist Back With a Bang? Girls Baby Daddy Mystery? Is S.H.I.E.L.D. Dad Deathly? NCIS Gets Real? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Hawaii Five-0, Girls, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fargo!

Hawaii Five-01 | Do Hawaii Five-0‘s Kono and Adam have one of TV’s strongest marriages? Also, through seven seasons how many times do you think Danny has brought his bullet-riddled Camaro to the auto body shop?

2 | During SNL‘s cold open, were you half expecting Jimmy Fallon’s Jared Kushner to muss the hair of Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump?

3 | Girls fans, Girls Series Finalewe’re not crazy for noticing that Hannah’s baby Grover was half black, right? Or for speculating that surfer dude Paul-Louis was not the baby daddy?

4 | Good Fight viewers, did Rose Leslie’s bland, rudderless Maia emerge as the weakest link in the show’s otherwise expertly crafted, super-entertaining first season?

5 | Is Veep‘s Sue busy working in President Montez’s White House, and that’s why we didn’t see her in the premiere? And since the show keeps casting actors from Fresh Off the Boat (first Randall Park, now Paul Scheer), can we please go ahead and get Constance Wu to come on and curse likeOnce Upon a Time Poster a sailor opposite Julia Louis-Dreyfus?

6 | TVLine Twitter follower Liz had this observation about Once Upon a Time‘s wedding episode poster: “Am I the only one wondering about there being a ring for Hook considering he doesn’t have a left hand? How’s that going to work?”

7 | Did Match Game noob Martha Stewart promptly land at the bottom of the Worst Celebrity Players Ever list?

8 | In light of The Leftoversbig Nora/Sarah reveal, we should probably expect a significant time jump in the series finale, right?

9 | Wouldn’t Gus Fring’s Better Call Saul return have been so much cooler if all the ads hadn’t spoiled it months in advance?

10 | Did any Scorpion fans LOL Scorpionat how the tunnel Walter quickly dug through the frozen soil — by removing random chunks — came out a perfect cylinder? Also, did the piñata masks remind anyone who also watches Legion of David’s bubble-headed tormentor?

11 | How is Prison Break‘s Lincoln waving around fat wads of cash if he was just on the run from loan sharks? Where in the squalid prison does Ja charge his phone? (Though apparently he doesn’t charge it enough!)

12 | Did NCIS make you audibly gasp when Abby admitted she was unable to zoom in on lo-def security cam footage? As is probably often the case in the real world?

13 | To quote many an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. viewer: Is it any wonder that Framework Fitz grew up to be awful, since he has a Death Eater (Harry Potter’s David O’Hara) for a dad?

14 | Does Freeform just not have the budget to visually pull off genre shows (see: Siren trailer) — unless it’s a Marvel series?

15 | Is it just us or was Designated Survivor‘s Julia forever making sexy eyes at POTUS? (Did you sense an inappropriate overtire was coming, or that their holding of hands would get photographed?) And was anyone else expecting Julia to rattle us by slipping into conversation, “No victory without sacrifice”?

16 | Gary Sinise’s Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders traveled to Greece and CSI: NY alum Melina Kanakaredes didn’t guest-star??

17 | Would Fargo‘s Ray really be so cavalier about murdering one of his own parolees over a mere five thousand bucks?

18 | How is Malcolm Merlyn still freely strolling into the Arrow lair? (Why couldn’t you drop him somewhere/time else, Legends?)

19 | Show of hands: How many Scandal fans forgot Portia De Rossi’s Lizzie Bear was still on the show? And as shocking as that murder was, did you sense it was coming the moment Ruland started fiddling with the golf club?

20 | Was the second hour of The Blacklist‘s spring premiere far and away one of the series’ best episodes ever?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Em says:

That Ep of the blacklist was one of the best I’ve ever seen of any show. Mr Kaplan is amazing

2. George says:

#5: I thought I read before the season started that Sufe Bradshaw (Sue) was taking time off this season (not sure the reason).

3. Kevin Tran says:

20. the second hour of Blacklist was the best episode this season ever since the pilot. The actress who plays Mr. Kaplan should get nominated for POTW or one of the honorable mentions.

4. Eric7740 says:

#19: I never forgot about Liz North or Portia de Rossi because I love them both the character and the actress. I knew that crazy lady was getting to do something crazy when she picked up that club, I thought maybe she might for lack of a better term “Nancy Kerrigan” Mellie or Liz, but not whack her head in!!!! I thought Rosen was going to die but not my Liz North!!!

5. Ana says:

#4 – I like Rose Leslie’s Maia, she is not a weak link. The episode where she was being questioned by Jane Lynch’s FBI agent was really good. She’s just coming to terms with the magnitude of the lies she has been told. I think she has done a good job portraying her character and all the emotions she is going through.

#6 – If that were the only thing wrong with the poster it would be fine. But this poster is just all kinds of wrong. First, what about this tells you there is anything musical happening on the show, except for the actual word. Second, why is Hook’s ring emphasized over Emma’s. Third and most important, why is Emma not even hinted at, she is the lead here not him. This show has shifted so far from it’s original concept that it doesn’t seem like we are watching the same series anymore. Very disappointed with ABC and the folks at Disney that have let some of there most beloved characters fall into the hands of some very bad TV show runners.

• Hayley Mann says:

I totally agree about Rose Leslie. the show is filled with so many huge personalities, (and guest stars that, though always delightful, can sometimes be too much to be believable) that its almost refreshing to have a character that is a little more soft-spoken. Plus, she’s navigating the waters of a high-profile scandal, her life on public display, not knowing if she can trust the people closest to her, being fresh out of law school, and wondering if she’s going to be fired at any time. No wonder she may be keeping things (or at least pretending to be) so calm and polite. I think this season was really sort of a prequel to who she is going to be. Remember Alicia is season 1? Plus we only had 10 episodes to flush out new characters.

6. PatriciaLee says:

1. Shocking that it is allowed to happen on a TV show, these days. TG, there is hope for modern storytelling. 11. Another loan shark, of course. They know he’s good for it. Electricity comes into the prison from somewhere. Backup generators need plugs, don’t they? 13. Spouses that have been cluing in each other of that fact for 14 years, are finally vindicated! 17. Wasn’t it about being exposed? I could see him getting rattled. 20. Yes, and true to life, smart people can be very dumb.

7. Luis Roman says:

7. Martha is a 70-something year old woman from Connecticut. You were expecting Brett Somers?

8. cej says:

17: $5000 AND a link to theft and murder.

9. Erik says:

#20: I, too, agree that the Mr Kaplan episode was outstanding. More episodes like this and the show will stick around.

10. Kim R says:

7. Watching Martha S on Match Game was hilarious and made me think it would be an excellent SNL sketch of Martha S on Match Game. :D
    13. What I would like to see on NCIS is letting Abby grow her hair style up as would happen in the real world. She would be in her mid thirties at this point. It’s time. :)
    20. The Blacklist’s final hour was amazing. So many dots connecting. Fantastic!

• neaorlean says:

13. Mid 30s? She’s almost 50.

• marco collins says:

15 years later she would be over 40. And speaking from experience, a lot of goths don’t change their style as they get older. Pauly in real life has kept her hair the same outside of NCIS also.

11. Kelly says:

#20 That absolutely the best episode ever. I loved every second of it.

• Sheila says:

#20. YES!!! Fantastic episode. My eyes were gleefully glued to the tube. I was rooting for Mr. Kaplan and was pleasantly surprised at her backstory. Qs were answered. That actress was phenomenal to watch.

12. jen says:

#20 yes, a thousand times yes. In fact one of the best episodes of any series this year.

13. Dominique says:

13. i feel obligated to point out that runcorn was never officially a death eater. he was definitely allied with the voldemort ministery but he was never a death eater.
    18. i don’t mind merlyn poppping up every now and then. in fact, i prefer this over his constant presence, which sort of diminished how great of a threat he can be.

14. AJ says:

3) you might be a little crazy – what makes you think Hannah and Paul-Louis could not have a child that looks like Grover?

• dlr929 says:

Right…he is NOT caucasian. However, the baby is very dark.

• Pedro says:

The fact neither of them is Black and the baby clearly is. Not all POC are the same, as the show seems to believe. Then again, Riz Amed was playing a hispanic… And Gilrs has always had a history and racism and White Privilege.

• Tai says:

^^this right here. As far as Lena Dunham is concerned, all POC are the same and she probably didn’t see a problem with hiring a child that is clearly black to play her child.

• Hayley Mann says:

Exactly- I believe the actor Riz Ahmed is of Pakistani descent, and just because his skin tone apparently isn’t dark enough for you to believe that could be his child with Hannah, you never can tell with genes.

15. Shar says:

#4 I did have high hopes for Maia when she conned her dad about the fake client that proved he was leaking info. I dvr this show and tend to buzz through scenes with her in them.
    My question is in what world would any law firm keep a very junior lawyer who is in that much trouble with the feds?

16. Laura says:

Am I wrong or is #12 missing?
    To #11: Maybe it’s the cash he owes the bad guys? And the phone thing is indeed mysterious

17. Elin says:

#6 He does have a right hand. In some cultures they wear the wedding ring on their right ring finger.

• KCC says:

I’m not surprised someone asked the question but I’m surprised TVLine repeated it. I guess they think people without a left hand don’t get married or if they do, they don’t have a ring. It’s not rocket science to figure out how it works. For future reference, people without any hands get married and can have a ring, they wear it on a chain around their neck.

18. ember69 says:

I agree Maia (The Good Fight) was weak, though they did a nice job unleashing her a little in the last ep, in the courtroom. Next season though, a can of whoop-arse is in order.

19. Tracy says:

Requim was EASILY the best episode of the entire series. Watching on DVR mesmerized by every second!👏👏👏

20. Debbie says:

20. Easily the best episode they’ve had this season. Possibly any season. It informed both past and present, opening up a delicious can of worms for the future. Making The Black List once again, must see TV.

21. datdudemurphy says:

Last night’s episode of The Blacklist was definitely the strongest episode in a very long time.
    Mr. Kaplan is one of television’s most interesting characters.

22. Ann says:

4. YES! I wouldn’t mind if she spent season 2 in jail

23. Tomm Huntre says:

20. – Yes, yes it was!! BLACKLIST is back!!!!!

24. Tom says:

~
    Hadn’t thought about Sue, but I so agree about Constance Wu. That would rock.
    ~
    ~
    One would guess he’d wear it on his right, I think if I recall it’s done in Eastern Europe actually.
    ~
    ~
    Didn’t fringsback kind of give it away?
    ~
    10 | Did any Scorpion fans LOL Sat how the tunnel Walter quickly dug through the frozen soil — by removing random chunks — came out a perfect cylinder? Also, did the piñata masks remind anyone who also watches Legion of David’s bubble-headed tormentor?
    ~
    The cylinder thing is something we’re not supposed to think about

25. Arna Perry says:

I was mesmerized by The Blacklist on Thursday evening!

26. lrdslvrhnd says:

1) Absolutely the strongest. And I suspect Danny has a frequent flyer card with his repair shop… good thing it’s always in the line of duty so he doesn’t have to pay for it!
    6) He’ll either wear it on his right hand (not uncommon I suspect even in western cultures when one is missing a left hand/ring finger) or on a necklace (I know plenty of people who do this because of arthritis, their jobs, fear of losing it, etc.) The necklace is often sized either long enough so the ring is over the heart, or short enough that it can’t just be slipped off.
    10) I shook my head at the tunnel, but not in surprise. And no, the pinata-heads didn’t remind me at all of the Angry Boy.
    11) Duh, he got the cash FROM the loan sharks!
    12) That was far more shocking than Scorpion’s tunnel, I’ll tell you that much!

27. Sheldon Wiebe says:

20 – Every time I figure I’ve just about given up on The Blacklist an amazing episode like Requiem comes along and hooks me again.

28. Allie says:

I’ve given up on The Blacklist. They’ve ruined the show with the constant regurgitation of all things Tom. I’m sick of Aram and Samar and really want to see Diego Klattenhoff get a story again. I’m hoping he’ll bail from this sinking ship and find a cool new show to show off his acting chops and hotness. My dream would be him getting a spot on The Walking Dead or The Americans. He deserves so much better.

I’m also sad the Mr. Kaplan was made to be the baddie. The show is just in ruins. Sad, as season one and two were so good. And, once the Tom show is cancelled, it will probably be too late to repair the damage that has been done to the flag ship show. The two “Jon” idiots have really screwed things up.

• PatriciaLee says:

I’m just hoping Mr. Kaplan’s spin, here, will take a different turn. I am hoping that this is just a string of red herrings. No, to Mr. Kaplan being the ‘enemy’! They can’t do that to us. I am holding my breath.

29. Luis Roman says:

18. Malcolm just smiles at doors and they open for him.
    20. “Requiem” was one of the most remarkable hours of storytelling “The Blacklist” has produced. Watching all those threads of story being woven together around Mr. Kaplan and how completely integral she has been to the entire story just blew me away. Of course, the major revelation for me is that Katerina is, in all likelihood, alive and it’s just a matter of time until she appears in Liz’s life again.

30. arial2 says:

19 – I started squirming the moment the crazy lady picked up the golf club. Am I the only one here who thinks that, had Mellie’s VP-designate Jake been invited to the meeting, too, there would have been three bodies on the floor at the end, and none of them would have been Mellie or Jake?

20 – Extraordinary performances by both Joanna Adler (as young Kate) and Susan Blommaert this week! Can’t believe your site didn’t feel mentioning them was worth a nod in performance of the week. Also STILL leaves open the question of “Who’s your daddy?” I can’t believe, in this day and age, Liz hasn’t done a DNA test on her own; ample opportunity to retrieve Red’s DNA from their MANY encounters, his custody time at the FBI.

31. maria r jackson says:

Big Fan of Blacklist and a lesser fan of spin off. Yes, the best espisode of alot of bests.

32. Metalhead7777 says:

Hook is going to wear his wedding ring on his right ring finger.

33. Vickie says:

#6 He’s going to wear on his right hand.

34. Mommaknowsbest says:

15. Yes, the relationships between POTUS and Julia was definitely an item. Hoping they don’t expand on it – too much other stuff going on!

35. Patricia Angelica says:

Question 16… OMG! How could that happen, right? :(

36. I loved Mrs Kaplan´s episode – Requiem

37. fiberlicious says:

HOLYSMOKESBESTEPISODESEVER! Thrilled to see the backstory about both Mr. Kaplan and Liz. One tiny complaint: If Red thinks he’s her father, he could easily do a surreptitious DNA test.

SO glad Denbe’s not gone evil!

Oh, my, Mr. Kaplan. I thought I couldn’t love you more!