Scandal Recap

Scandal Shocker: [Spoiler] Killed Off

The following story contains spoilers from this week’s Scandal. Proceed at your own peril.

Proving the ol’ show still has a few tricks up its sleeve, Scandal sent a major character to the Other Side in Thursday’s episode. (Last chance to hit the nearest exit without getting spoiled!)

Towards the end of the hour, Portia de Rossi‘s Elizabeth was brutally murdered as poor Mellie looked on. (Read Andy Swift’s complete recap here.) The decision to send “Lizzie Bear” packing was made after De Rossi asked to be let out of her contract.

“I am incredibly grateful for my time here at Scandal,” she said in a statement. “I will miss playing Elizabeth North, but I’ve made the decision to focus on a business opportunity. Shonda, Betsy [Beers] and the cast have been incredibly supportive of my decision. I will always love my Scandal family. I’ll be watching!”

The twist represented one of the more significant cast departures since the series launched six years ago.

“I have been a fan of Portia’s for years and it was an honor to have her join our Scandal family,” Rhimes said in a statement. “Portia infused Liz North with a smart, powerful and vulnerable soul while also making the humor sing — and that brought all of us in the writers’ room a lot of joy. If I could keep her forever, I would — but kidnapping is illegal. Besides, I am incredibly impressed with the vision she has for her creative future. I wish her all the best.”

De Rossi joined Scandal in Season 4 and was promoted to a full-fledged series regular in Season 5. “I came on as a fan,” she told TVLine back in 2015, adding, “I’ve been on a lot of shows. People get a little jaded or complacent. There’s something so magical about Scandal. I have to say, Kerry Washington really sets the tone for the rest of us. She is so enthusiastic and happy and grateful and humble. She is a class act. She shows everyone else how it’s done. I have to give the credit to her.”

1. herman1959 says:

Forget about Liz, I never liked her anyway, the BIG news is Olivia and Fitz are back on! Here we go again.

2. Matt C. says:

That was one of the most shocking TV deaths in recent memory. I definitely didn’t see that coming! And that kiss at the end…be still my heart! By far the best episode of Scandal this season, and one of the best of the series. Very fitting that they aired season 1’s “The Trail” before this one. Two hours of Scandal (and Olitz) goodness!

3. kn1231 says:

Haven’t watched since the first episode of this past season, but Lizzie Bear was a favorite of mine. I really do hope next season is the last, and they can go out with some strong storytelling. I’ve read the recaps for this season, and the quality is not cutting it.

4. Cheyenne says:

This series has gone so far off the rails that there is not a credible moment in it any more.

5. Gary b says:

Too bad it wasn’t Mellie.

6. quang says:

I think Portia is a terrific actress, and this show wasn’t using her properly. Better for everyone that she was let go.

7. Cheyenne says:

Does anyone beside me feel this show has devolved into a completely chaotic mess? There’s not a believable moment in it any more.

8. WHY OH WHY must we have Fitz and Olivia again? This is turning into Ross and Rachel. GAHHH.

• Cheyenne says:

Don’t worry, they’ll have another huge fight and break up again before the season is over. Lather, rinse, repeat. Shonda is so boringly predictable.

• Cas says:

Ross and Rachel were the best. And they lived happily ever after. And technically they only got back together once (at the end of season 3) after breaking up earlier in the season.

• Ari says:

Fitz is the worst. I mean Olivia isn’t some great prize but honestly, she can do better. You can do better Olivia! I look forward to their inevitable breakup.

• Cheyenne says:

Oh God, the same dumb cliche all over again. “Fitz is the worst”. Wose than Rowan? Worse than Jake? Worse than Peus? I mean, do you even recognize how stupid you sound?

• Gene Olvera says:

lol. Yup.

• Pedro says:

Ross and Rachel were apart for 6 seasons.

9. JHR says:

I’m just happy that the show finally offed someone. I don’t say that as a callous person, but simply because this is the type of show that begs for its main characters to be let go now and then. The twists and turns need emotional impact to really resonate and tonight, they succeeded at that. Rhimes should take a page from the showrunner at How to Get Away with Murder and not be scared of offing a regular like this because it does create an impact on those around the character who is killed. (I mean, imagine the pain for Olivia and the others if Huck had actually died…it would’ve fueled so many episodes.)

10. She was hardly on anymore. No one will notice that she’s gone. This storyline is ridiculous. Almost makes me wish for B613 again.

11. Eric7740 says:

Not my Liz North!!!! I even modeled my hairstyle after her and Portia’s. I will miss Liz North and I have missed her this season and am sad she’s gone.

12. ludivine Vernet says:

Glad she is dead. Finally someone who gets killed I will not regret.

13. Cosmin says:

Huck shoud die or papa Pope…it was so good the episode, when they looking him…and Olivia was really amazing..Gladiators!

14. T says:

I wouldn’t call her a major character but I did enjoy when she was on. I can’t stand that in the middle of this Olivia and Fitz decide to get busy again. I can’t figure out how he has any appeal to her. Sure I am team Jake but not in regards to him being with Olivia I just like Jake way better than Fitz. I honestly think with all the crap she has been through she should choose neither.

15. Patty Scott says:

Will I’m not a scandal fan but I watch it I love Portia I like it one she plays Elizabeth North my mom middle name is Elizabeth

16. Andrea A. says:

It doesn’t matter how many times you say “spoiler alert” at the beginning of an article when the spoiler is revealed in the URL.

17. Matt says:

Major character? Hmmm…more like minor character. Maybe she is considered a series regular but definitely got little screen time.

18. Alicia says:

She is such a minor character, why is everyone acting like this is such a big deal? The way she was killed was certainly shocking, but who cares about her death? She wasn’t really central to any plot lines, she was always kind of a throwaway character. The way this was hyped I was expecting a major character to get the ax. But definitely happy for Olivia and Fitz! And poor Mellie…

19. Pat says:

I woud not call her a major character. It was a bit part at most.

20. Cindy says:

I was shocked and I´m going to miss her but to be honest the writing for her character wasn´t the best lately. They kinda never really knew how to use her.

21. Ron says:

People, can we forget this mess and start asking the important questions? When are we getting a new season of Arrested Development?