The Flash Photos: Iris Is Mourned — Plus, [Spoiler] and [Spoiler] Return

Things are looking rather grave when Barry pays a visit to the year 2024 in the next episode of The CW’s The Flash.

In “The Once and Future Flash” (airing Tuesday, April 25 and directed by cast member Tom Cavanagh), Barry — spurred by Abra Kadabra’s cryptic words — travels to the future to find out Savitar’s still-unknown identity, in the hopes of saving Iris. Upon his arrival in 2024, Barry encounters future versions of his Team Flash friends, who, in the wake of Iris’ death, have become very different people, profoundly impacted by their showdown with Savitar.

“It’s a future where Iris has been killed, and everyone is changed because of it,” Candice Patton shared during my recent visit to the set. And yes, Iris’ would-be husband is among those hit hardest. “You see this older version of Barry Allen that hasn’t really ever gotten over the death of Iris West,” says Patton. As Grant Gustin added, “He’s in shambles.”

Also in the episode, as revealed by these photos: two Baddies of the Week resurface. Flip through the attached photo gallery (click here for direct access) to see who it is.

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nathan says:

I’m gonna cry no matter who it is

2. Emily says:

Emo future Barry with the Island Oliver hair is gonna make up for the lack of my beloved Iris in this episode.

3. Tamara says:

I didn’t ask for this–I’m not ready to mourn Iris. :( Can’t see Joe and Barry depressed and Team destroyed. I do hope Barry can win the day and save her, better yet, hope Iris can save herself too.

4. Mo says:

I get more and more scared for Iris as we approach the date of the finale, but I know Barry will eventually save the day.

5. Diana says:

This episode looks like it’s going to be really, really interesting, but also sad :(

6. Alexis says:

It makes sense that Barry’s in shambles and what’s left of the team is fractured. Can you imagine all the emotional acting we’re about to get from JLM & Grant Gusting? I’m stocking up on tissues and red wine because I know that I’m not ready for it at all

7. ABC says:

I’m so tired of all this ‘who’s going to die’ drama. I don’t care anymore. At this point I’m hoping it’s Iris because Candice deserves better than being sidelined/given nothing to do except being the damsel/the love interest.

8. ABC says:

Does anyone on Team Flash even care about Iris enough for their lives to be changed though (other than Barry)? Because she barely interacts with them… God lord. This is why the writers are so dumb. They should’ve integrated her into the team better

• Antwon303 says:

Huh? She is a member of the team and the love of the hero’s life. They may not all love Iris but clearly they care about her and want to save her. If she dies they would mourn. She is their friend after all. It would be strange if they didn’t and even if they aren’t all broken up about it…Barry would be and that would fracture everything and cause a huge ripple effect.

• Gift says:

Thank u for explaining that. Of cause it will affect everyone one! In team flash nd even the viewers. I don’t know how I’m going to respond to these events. But one thing is clear for Berry if she is truely the love of his life, he is never ever going to get over Iris death. Except they save her in the end.

• Zee says:

If you consider Joe and Wally members of Team Flash then obviously TF would be affected because they would both be devastated by her death. I also think Cisco would be heartbroken by her death because they’re friends and he’s been forced to see her die several times now through his Vibes all the while hoping it doesn’t actually come to pass. So while Caitlin, Julian, and HR might not care enough to be forever changed, Joe/Wally/Cisco and of course Barry certainly would be.

• Gift says:

U right though but I think Caitlin even HR will be affected too because all of them has gotten close. She isn’t just the love interest, she is the best friend, the friend, the reporter, Joe’s daughter nd Wally’s sister nd also a team member of cause they will all be heart broken but I can’t say so much for Julian.

• Mo says:

Except for Barry, Joe &Wally, no. The writers are dumb to think they can make a love interest more than what she is and have turned this Iris-centric season into a complete waste of time.

9. Mimi says:

So not ready to see a future where Iris isn’t alive. She better survive in the end. Protect the west family and also barry too. They are the main reasons why I watch this show.

10. Liz says:

They’ve overplayed this “Iris is gonna die” storyline. I’m bored of it now.

• Mike says:

I completely agree! It’s all every episode has been focused on the entire back half of this season! It’s quite boring, and I wish there were other interesting plots going on concurrently. This whole season has been terrible.

• Mo says:

That’s the CW for ya. We will repeat everything you love & hate until you hate everything!

• Gift says:

I’m scared of what is going to really going to happen no bored. Berry can not loose Iris not after everything. Really.

11. Jasmine says:

I wonder if they will touch on Caitlin well now Killer Frost and see where she is.

12. Butch says:

The date April 25, 2024, where Barry travels to, is also the date that the Flash disappears during a Crisis per the headline we have seen since season 1. Is this going to be touched on during the episode? I assume where Barry goes is a potential and not the only future. I wonder if the headline will change when Barry comes back to the present.

13. Hyeri says:

I hate this. Why every superhero must lose the woman he loves. Story is common. Can not they make a different story than most superhero stories. They better not kill the iris

14. Luke says:

When is New flash episode coming on CW?

15. Can’t wait to see this episode. The Flash has been excellent this season and this hiatus is killing me.

16. CLV says:

I want to see Iris empowered to save herself. I know the show is mainly about Barry but Iris is strong and intelligent. She can figure out how to help herself. I also wish they’d give Barry the cockiness he had back in s 1A. It was fun and I would watch every episode over and over. They have done this darkness thing for too long.

17. Mo says:

Dante’s death, Ronnie’s death, Eobard Wells’ and Hunter Zolomon’s betrayals, Nora’s multiple murders can’t change team flash but Iris’ death will? To borrow from a Legend: who writes this crap?

• Gift says:

Dante was never close to the team just Cisco, Ronnie was just there a few episodes more special to Caitlin than anyone else. He also sacrifice him self to save everyone in the city. It did affect them, it got them to see things better. Eobard Wells and Hunter Zolomon are betrayers, bad people, they aren’t worth a single of their time wasted on them. Iris on the other hand is a team member, a friend, Barry’s love, daughter, sister nd she’s been part of this team nd has also been really helpful. They all re like family definitely it will affect them. Nothing will be the same. If Barry is out of place then the team has no point we will all agree that he is the center of the team nd she is most important to him.

• Mo says:

Yeah this continuing need by her fans & the show to dismiss characters just to prop up Iris is past ridiculous. As for Barry he’s been on the sideline this entire season keeping Iris company, that’s why saddling them together just makes him the worse.