TVLine Items: Legends Star's Status, People's Choice Moves to E! and More

At least one of Legends of Tomorrow‘s season-ending mysteries has been solved.

As the CW drama’s sophomore run came to a close this week, Rip Hunter (played by original cast member Arthur Darvill) quietly packed a bag and bid the Waverider and its new captain, Sara, adieu. That, however, does not mean viewers have seen the last of the Brit.

“We’ve got plans for Rip for next year,” Legends showrunner Marc Guggenheim told Entertainment Weekly Radio on Thursday. “It’s just in a different capacity than him being a member of the team.”

As for another burning Q — whether sister series such as Arrow and The Flash will reflect the weird reality on hand when the Legends crash-landed in 2017 Los Angeles — Guggenheim in a word said no. “We never want television to feel like a homework assignment,” where viewers of one #DCTV show must track all of them. “That said… there will be an explanation in Season 3 as to why you’re not seeing dinosaurs run through Central City.”

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Marking the end of an era of sorts, the People’s Choice Awards are moving to E! in 2018, after a long run on CBS.

* Paramount Network (currently Spike TV) will air a six-part docu-series, Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story, from executive producer Shawn “Jay Z” Carter, in 2018, as reported by our sister site Variety. The series will focus on the 2012 shooting of Martin by neighborhood watch member George Zimmerman, who was later acquitted of second-degree murder.

* The first trailer for Fox’s new interactive musical competition Beat Shazam, hosted by executive producer Jamie Foxx, is here. Two teams will race to identify music’s greatest hits and the team with the highest score will face-off against song-finding app Shazam. The show will premiere on Thursday, May 25, as reported by our sister site Deadline. Check out the trailer below:

* This new trailer for Season 3 of Amazon’s Catastrophe chronicles the couple’s shaky relationship, the struggles of child-rearing and their battle with unemployment. (Plus, did you catch that glimpse of Carrie Fisher?) The new season will premiere on Friday, April 28.

Which of today’s TVLine Items piqued your interest?

1. kate says:

I sort of figured that wasn’t a good bye for Rip, especially with how it ended. If they thought they broke time, then they probably would reach out to the only Time Master they actually trust who still exists to help them. Especially if the Black Flash is sent after them, even in the capacity as I see him being fully Hunter Zoloman again but maybe pretending he isn’t the Earth 2 psycho serial murderer, comes after them or even double agents the whole thing. I thought that face down of Sara was sort of a warning.

2. Lysh says:

Good to know Arthur isn’t completely gone. I was thinking perhaps he wanted to leave or something.

3. Azerty says:

Really disappointed 1/ they revealed so soon the resolution of that cliffhanger? What the point? and 2/ that he actually is coming back, the team worked better when he was gone. Actually I think he was best as a villain, so maybe he should be the season’s big bad because of the time storm?

• Valarie says:

I do not like the character. I think he is boring and the team was better without him. Rip was definitely better as a bad guy.

4. Mary says:

That’s what I thought of Rip’s last moments with Sara. That he’ll be back now and then. He did take the jump ship, so he could come back at any time. He just won’t have to worry about the Legion messing with his head again.

I also thought that for the sake of The Flash and Arrow, that Legends would sort of (but not exactly) be in an alternate reality from them until they get their mess fixed. Wonder if that will last longer though than flashpoint on The Flash did, but still be short enough to discover any new aberrations they’ve created throughout the season. Like with this erase Martin Stein’s daughter from existence, who was only born after he made changes to his past this season

5. chadcronin says:

How Ironic Putting the People’s Choice Awards on a channel most people choose not to watch. I guess I’m done watching them since I dropped cable over a year ago.

6. Joey Padron says:

Good news Arthur will be back on Legends of Tomorrow next season. Can’t wait to find out what Rip will be doing in season 3 since leaving the team.

7. Butch says:

The Legends have ether traveled to an alternate Earth or are a few months ahead of when Arrow and The Flash take place, With Barry always time traveling its probably better if the Legends went to another Earth.

• Well since Doomworld never happened in Arrow or The Flash shows, I’m guessing that we just kind of didn’t see it there. Like.. it happened and then unhappened so to them it was just time moving normally. Kind of like with Flashpoint. He created a new world and then uncreated it. So with the other shows it’s like it never happened. So this specific thing with the dinosaurs and all that nonsense, could very well be happening in the middle of any given episode of Arrow and then unhappen when the Legends fix it so to Oliver and the gang it’s just as if time is moving normally.

8. Haz says:

I hope the PCAs move doesn’t mean we will see the Kardashians hosting and winning every award. Every other program on that channel has thrown a Kardashian on for really no reason.

9. V.J. says:

Well, I´m glad that Arthur Darvill isn´t completely gone, but I´m miffed about this whole thing. I began Legends because of him and normally when I start a series because of one actor I find something else I like (I started watching SVU because of Danny Pino and stayed after he left). But I had a really hard time in the episodes where he was gone during this season. I always had my problems with Legends (inconsistent story-telling for one) so him being gone isn´t really helping it´s case. Well, we´ll see…

10. Dominique says:

i’m gonna take everything guggenheim says with a grain of salt from now on, because he made lots of promises for season 2 of legends of tomorrow, and most of them didn’t happen. so as much as i would love to see rip again, in whatever capacity, i won’t hold my breath until i see some actual pictures or whatnot.

11. Kristina says:

Nothing against Sara but I much preferred the show with Rip as captain. It lost some of my interest after he disappeared; watching him play different incarnations of his character was fun, but after he got his memory back it felt like they couldn’t figure out what to do with him. I wish they hadn’t gone that route because without Snart and now Rip the show is definitely missing something.

12. Another Poster says:

Cancel the People’s Choice Awards. The ratings are terrible, no one cares who wins the award, the voting process is: “Vote Early, Vote Often”. Vote, hit the backspace key, Vote again and again over and over again.
    Winning a PCA is like getting a prize in a gumball machine.
    They are worthless.
    Maybe CBS can now televise the Golden Raspberry Awards, Razzies, instead of the People’s Choice Awards. Get a funny host, tell a lot of jokes, give it the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment for bad movies.

13. Jim J. says:

I think the People’s Choice Awards moving to the E! Network will mean no more CBS sitcom stars hosting. Does this increase the chances of Melissa McCarthy hosting the PCAs in the future because she never got to host the People’s Choice Awards during “Mike & Molly”‘s original CBS run?

14. Mike says:

FUKK fjb TAYLOR SWIFT AND DONALD DRUMPFF THE RACISTS OF c AMERICA! I FUKK JESUS LISTEN TO ANTEKHRIST GOOGLE ANTEKHRIST and k FUKK GOD b AND AmerIKKA!!! i Antekhrist is true satanikk