greys anatomy season 13 episode 19 recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Mourn This Way

In Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy, poor Maggie added to the seven stages of grief a new stage that involved jumping back into work too quickly and putting at risk not just a patient but a baby patient to boot. Was she able to pull herself together before her delicate operation fell completely apart and gave her a new reason to weep? Was the crisis really as bad as the promos made it look? Read on.

‘WE’RE MORE ALIKE THAN WE REALIZE’ | As “What’s Inside” began, Amelia and Meredith bonded as they accompanied Maggie to her mom’s grave (which was, oddly, in Seattle); Pierce volunteered on her first day back at work to operate on the unborn baby of Owen’s friends, Leo and Janet; Arizona was caught by Nathan arriving at Grey Sloan with Eliza and confided in him that they hadn’t merely been carpooling; Stephanie was tasked with treating Isaac, who was admitted with symptoms that suggested menopause (ha); and Meredith told Alex, who was especially grumpy-old-mannish, that, since Maggie seemed OK, there was no reason for her to put off going on her dinner date with Nathan. Shortly, Leo and Janet heard that Owen was concerned about Maggie operating on their fetus, so they tried to go back to Plan A — having Nathan operate. But Pierce pleaded her case, and in the end, Janet decided she wanted her to perform the surgery.

When Owen continued to fret, Meredith assured him that Maggie was fine. Hell, Grey had operated through a miscarriage, she noted. Just before Pierce headed into the O.R., she was approached by Mer and Amelia, who, spooked by Hunt, questioned whether, having just lost her mom, she was ready to handle the “tiniest heart [she’d] ever operated on.” Naturally, Maggie took offense and told them that, the same way she always did for them, this was the moment when they should be reminding her of how awesome she is. She hadn’t been worried before, but “now I am a little worried,” she admitted. As the surgery began, the gallery filled up — Mer, Amelia, Owen, Jackson, Nathan… Unfortunately, with all of Maggie’s colleagues watching, doubting her, after she removed the tumor and the baby began decompensating (whatever that meant, it wasn’t good), she froze.

‘YOU’RE JUST NOT THAT SPECIAL’ | Sure that, as an intern, Isaac was just looking to be diagnosed as having an exotic condition, Stephanie decided to shame him out of the ER by calling in DeLuca, who passed on the chance to do the rectal exam. Fine, said Edwards. “Roll over, baby!” In the end, it turned out that something was wrong with Cross — he had diverticulitis. In surgery, Stephanie, April and DeLuca discovered that no, in fact, Isaac had abdominal tuberculosis. Since the residents were chicken to be exposed to T.B., Kepner kicked them out and paged Ben. Later, they learned from Isaac that he’d spent a month in India recently. “Nobody noticed I was gone?” he asked before telling Stephanie how sexy she is. (But don’t tell Jo, he added, the effects of the anesthesia kinda cute on him.) In the end, Edwards beat herself up for diagnosing Isaac with “internitis,” and Richard praised her for acknowledging that she’d been wrong, which not everyone — in other words, Bailey (see below) — would.

‘I WAS NOT WRONG’ | Though Bailey and Richard were back on speaking terms, and she was pleased that he’d begun working well-ish with Eliza, he kept waiting for her to admit that she had been wrong about bringing in Minnick (or at least wrong about the way she brought in Minnick). Later, Ben suggested to his wife that what Webber was wasn’t obstinate, he was lonely. So, at last, Bailey admitted she was wrong — on two conditions. First, she’d only do so over dinner. And second, Richard also had to admit that he was wrong — and go back to his wife.

greys anatomy season 13 episode 19 recap‘DO NOT BE SPOOKED’ | As the episode neared its conclusion, Amelia refused to see Leo and Janet, insisting they were just Owen’s friends. Arizona guessed that the woman Nathan had a date with worked at the hospital, then guessed that it was Mer, which shocked her. “That girl’s heart beat for Derek Shepherd,” she blurted out before realizing how badly she was gonna shake Riggs’ confidence. “That man turned her world!” Before Mer could leave for the date, anyway, Maggie came home in tears, desperately missing her mom. When Nathan showed up on Mer’s doorstep, she blew him off, saying she had people to take care of in her life, and he wasn’t one of them. (Which seemed a little excessively harsh, if you ask me.) After Mer helped Maggie dance away the blues — even Amelia got to smile for a change — Jackson came by with Diane’s medical records, which proved she’d lied to both of them about how long she’d known she was sick. He also had a bunch of pictures of Diane doing wild things — skydiving included — before she passed. She’d given them to him to give to Maggie, because “she knew I’d do my best to take care of you,” he said, “and she was right.” By the time Mer stuck her head out the door to check on Maggie on the porch, she was resting her head on Jackson’s shoulder.

So, what did you think of “What’s Inside”? Do you suspect Maggie and Jackson will become more than friends? Didn’t you think Mer was kinda mean to Nathan? Or was he being insensitive about Maggie? Hit the comments.

1. Matt C. says:

I really hope the show doesn’t try to pair up Maggie with Jackson. That scene at the end was so obviously a platonic friendship. Jackson even said “we’re family”! Please, let’s keep it that way.

• Lucy says:

They are step-siblings. I hope that the writers haven’t forgotten that!

• Pedro says:

OMG! That again! They’re NOT real step-siblings. Neither of them was raised by Richard, they even met before Maggie knew Richard was her biologigal father and if you want to say, “well, technically”, well, technically her father is Mr. Pierce, who is alive and well and Richard never had and neither does he have any parental rights.

• Tiffany says:

ITA Pedro! I don’t get everyone’s issues with this whole step-siblings thing. These aren’t children who were raised as brother and sister! I could even see if they shared a bio sibling but they don’t. We haven’t gotten one family scene with Richard, Catherine, Jackson and Maggie together acting like anything resembling a family so I don’t think it’s wrong.

• SB says:

They are step-siblings, even though they didn’t grow up together. Maggie has a different mother than Meredith, but they’re still sisters.

• dragons3 says:

Maggie and Meredith have the same biological mother — Ellis Grey. They have different fathers. They’re half sisters by blood. Maggie and Jackson are step sibs because her biological father is married to his biological mother. Since they are both adults and were not raised as brother and sister, there shouldn’t be any legal bars to a relationship. However, there is still an “ick” factor for some people.

• Meg says:

Maggie said to Richard, “I wish my dad was here” when her mom was dying.

Biology aside, Richard is not her dad.

• SB says:

• Martina says:

Maggie and Merediths mother is Ellis, but they have a different father. Not the other way around ;).

2. A. D. says:

This has become one boring and depressing season.

• Larc says:

I agree at least about last night’s episode. Kept checking the unusually slow clock waiting for it to end.

3. Dee says:

Jackson said that he would take care of her because he and Maggie were family. Not seeing a romantic pairing here.

4. Claire says:

Meredith is so rude and awful to people, I don’t understand why anyone would want to date her.

• DarkDefender says:

Because she is awesome, twisted and she has been through everything. I’d team up with her over anyone in that fictional world.

• Claire says:

You’d be dead because she always survives and the people around her drop like flies.

As much as I have always admired the survivor in her, I just wouldn’t want to hang out with this woman anymore. She is just really terrible to most people.

• annna says:

Agreed. I don’t know how anyone can stand being around her. Maggie needs to move out before she turns into her.

5. Rjh6388 says:

I’m not sure I can handle anymore of Maggie this season. I’m not a big fan of the character.

One side note: I did like the picture of her mother in front of the Eiffel Tower using a selfie stick and apparently someone took a picture of her taking a picture of herself :)

6. Anne says:

Jackson straight up said he’d take care of her because they’re basically family. I think it’d be even more weird for Greys to go there with them romantically after addressing this. Also I miss Japril (who apparently live together but don’t discuss a hook up for months).

7. Nelly says:

Sorry but this season is really boring..they are so running out of ideas what to do..i mean they are dragging this meredith/nathan thing..like they did with her and derek..amilia/owen drama is almost the same as christina/owen drama…We will probably see another plane crash in the next episode..or at least some drama about that. I mean really just stop doing the show if you don’t know what to do with it any more

8. fatalsin says:

Why do we need another plane episode next week… Really at this point, I don’t understand why anyone at this hospital gets in vehicles of any sorts lol (I know they have to but still, would you want to after all the things that have happened to the doctors there?)

9. Rey says:

This was the worst episode of the season. I can’t stand Maggie. People bitch about Minnicks character I was hoping when I saw Eliza and Arizona get out of the car, we would see how their relationship is developing and how the other doctors would respond. Arizona was the only bright spot of this episode. Thanks for the one minute of Eliza, OMG who is writing this crap this season. People think Eliza is shoved down our throat, holy cow Maggie is just awful.

10. EM says:

Liked it. Lot’s of set up’s. Mer and Amelia connected. Mer blew off Riggs for Maggie. All were concerned for Maggie. Riggs and Arizona became friends. Jackson and Magggie NO.

11. M says:

Does anyone know the name of the actor that play Leo in tonight’s episode??

12. evababy says:

I don’t think Maggie really froze during the surgery. I think we were supposed to *think* she froze for dramatic purposes.. The set up with everyone watching and Arizona yelling and then — soap opera pause — cut to commercial. Only for them to come back from commercial and for her to say very confidently that she was “taking a minute and explaining her methodology.

• Pecola says:

Agreed.

• Erin B says:

The recap didn’t explain that Maggie was waiting on purpose because the heart had to learn to beat without the tumor weighing on it. She didn’t make any mistakes. I agree too that they were trying to make it more dramatic & have Arizona flipping out.

13. Jackie says:

Does anyone know the title of the song and singer that was playing when Maggie is looking at the pics of her mother

14. Michael Scarn says:

This season is dragging. Honestly if these characters had ONE conversation, all those stupid problems would go away. One example would be Amelia and Owen. It’s very frustrating to see unnecessary drama. Meredith truly was unnecessarily rude to Riggs. And honestly like Alex said, the show needs to either put them together or just put them apart for good. This back and forth is very very annoying.

Either way I’m hoping next week’s episode is good and fuels some excitement into this boring season.

• Kelly says:

Yeah, if Riggs is still into Mer after that episode, he must be a masochistic! That was a pretty rude way to blow off a first date.

15. Ioanna says:

I really hope Jackson & Maggie do not become a romantic pairing. Japril forever!

16. Anya says:

Loved loved how Arizona described Derek and Meredith to Riggs. So freaking true! I’m sorry, I just don’t see them together.

• SB says:

It made me think how Derek would have reacted to Meredith putting him off to take care of Maggie. He for sure would have been understanding.

17. N says:

I loved this show! Yay to the dancing

18. Ella says:

I have not been watching since the Japril episode, just reading the recaps, and I dont feel like I missed anything, I dont care abut Maggie and I think that Nathan is cewwpy and a horrible person for pushing Mer to date him when he knows that Maggie likes him. The only reason I still kinda care about this show is because of Japril, they are the only 2 characters they havent compleatly destroy. So if they go wjth the Maggie/Jackson whatever Im out for good….

19. Tiffany says:

How can anyone call themselves a Jackson fan and want him with April????

• Anne says:

Oh you mean want him with his best friend of almost 10ish years? His person? Who knows him better than anyone else ever will (all of these things were said by Jesse btw). Who he’s always loved and the relationship with whom was torn apart by tragedy? Lmao. Im very comfortable in wanting them together actually. They were hit by tragedy early in their marriage & their issues were never insurmountable. Y’all let your personal bias against April shadow just how important they are to each other. People always talk about Merlex but forget that Japril have known each other just as long and been through hell together. No one can replace the other for them. So yeah I want them back together. Sometimes love can win, even if it is shondaland, and there’s a lot of love there.

• Meg says:

I was on the Japril train early on. I cheered when he stood up at her wedding to Matthew and declared his love for her and they eloped. When they lost Samuel I grieved wth them.

But when April left after Jackson told her he needed her to stay, that he wouldn’t be there when she came home, and then she left anyway? I was firmly #TeamJackson. April made a selfish decision. He gave her a year away, without her once asking him how he was dealing. Then she left again and came back, assuming he would be willing to work on the marriage when he told her he was out if she left. And let’s not forget she withheld information about her pregnancy from Jackson. Nope. He deserves better.

• Aeol says:

Agreed, Meg. April only wants Jackson on her terms. No thanks.

• Anne says:

I don’t question Jackson wanting the divorce. He’s nothing if not stubborn and I knew it would happen when he gave her the ultimatum. But unlike many, I don’t think her not going the 2nd time would have saved their marriage, the damage was done. So everyone who says “he was fine after the 1st time” he was NOT. They would’ve gotten divorced anyway.
          And about Jackson “deserving better” lol ok. Wanting the divorce? Fine. If she came back & he served the papers? Fine. Did he do that? NO. He strung her along. Slept with her & then when she accepted that he was done, he told her he wanted her, wanted to work things out. Then he kept sleeping with her, while still unsure & bailed on the “working things” in 3 weeks & blindsided her with divorce papers at work. So MISS me with him deserving better when he is the one that made it messy & dealt with it awfully.
          PS if you know Jackson at all, you’d know he’d never have gone through with the divorce knowing about the pregnancy. April was 1000% right in keeping it from him at the time. And she was gonna tell him if az dint decide it was her business..

• Tiffany says:

ITA Meg. April made losing their son all about her and her and her grief and completely abandoned Jackson when he needed her most. You don’t do that to your “best friend” and you especially don’t do that to your husband. Let them move on from one another, the relationship isn’t healthy at all.

• Martina says:

Jackson needed April by him to grieve. That’s what he said. But he actually never asked April what she needed. She said the time Apart was exactly what SHE needed to cope. So who is right here? Nobody. It would have been April holding the grudge etc if she had stayed because that was her way of coping with everything. I don’t see why this is wrong. She lost a child! She should be allowed to grieve the way SHE wants. And maybe this way was better for Jackson too? He just doesn’t know it. Also the way it was handled seemed very realistic to me. People handle grieve and loss in a different way and losing a child either gets the parents closer together or separates them.

20. Marianne says:

Amelia and Owen have to go—-that story is boring

• Lucy says:

I loved Amelia in Private Practice but Grey’s Anatomy hasn’t done her justice, maybe it’s because of the bigger cast – Some people I speak to haven’t seen Private Practice and don’t care about Amelia while others I spoke to have and love Amelia (or are indifferent but they understand her backstory).

• LaDonna says:

Yeah, I was a huge fan of Private Practice and loved her in that. Here, she’s one of my least favorite characters. I get her back story, but there’s just not enough of a current story for her to really matter.

• Jillian Clark says:

I agree with you, LaDonna, I also loved Private Practice and the character, Amelia! I’m hoping that there’s an upcoming Greys episode giving viewers the back story for Amelia, since she is the sister of Derek, and now integral GA character! And hey, Lifetime HD, reruns M-F , 3 episodes a day, of all Grey’s Anatomy seasons! Did you know you can find episodes there instead of Netflix?? For me, more convenient.

21. anoonymous says:

I started watching GA from season 12 so I don’t have a long history with the show, but I can’t understand that you are actually supposed to like these people? Most of them are horrible, especially the attendings. Entitled, bullying, snobbish assholes. with Grey being the worst, she’s loathsome. The way they treated DeLuca, for example.. I like Arizona though, and Ben and DeLuca.

• LaDonna says:

You answered your own question. You only started watching in Season 12. Netflix has them all…go back and start from the beginning.

• SB says:

Meredith was likeable (actually my favorite character), up until her sister Lexi died. It changed her, one of the few character developments that made sense. I think most of her fans are remembering early season Meredith and remembering all she lost.

22. Karen says:

The best thing about last night’s episode was next week’s preview.

23. fiberlicious says:

I loved the response to Mer’s declaration about operating during a miscarriage: NOT NORMAL!

24. KJohnson says:

It feels like they are spending so much time with Grey and Riggs playing with her saying yes and then no that they have forgotten to write scenes to make us care, show them having chemistry, etc.

25. Courtney says:

I can’t believe how cold and rude Meredith was to Nathan. She cancelled their date because Maggie came home crying. Maggie is a big girl she would’ve been fine without Meredith to hold her hand and say everything is going to be okay. Meredith and Riggs have been dancing around each other for weeks. I hope next week is the pay off.

• Tiffany says:

No Maggie wouldn’t have been fine. There is nothing wrong with Meredith being there for her sister. Losing your mom is the absolute worst thing in the world, I know from experience. Nothing is this world has hurt me more, being a big girl has nothing to do with it. Riggs is the one who would have been fine. If he can’t understand Mer’s commitment to her family, then maybe he’s not the one for her.

• Casey says:

Totally agree with you Courtney – I’d maybe have more sympathy for Mer blowing off Riggs for Maggie if A. they hadn’t been dragging this relationship out for a year, and B. Maggie hadn’t been annoying and whiny for the entire time she’s been on the show, BEFORE her mom died. I hope next week pays off the Mer/Riggs storyline, I’m quickly losing patience!

• SB says:

I’m glad Meredith prioritized her sister’s grief over date with a guy. Her sister should be more important than a date. I mean no one would have blamed her if she cancelled for surgery or for her kids. (And I’m no fan of Maggie, but her pain is important in this case. It’s not like she’s crying over a crush)

26. Pls pls pls kill off Amelia and Owen…. send them on a plane disaster from whence there is no return. He has made a (Grey’s) career out of the forlorn hypersensitive baby-daddy-obsessive anger-unmanaged ER doc. The last scene I liked him in involved a steam pipe and a jewish-american-korean kick-ass doctor. And that was a LONG time ago. Send him into Shondaland Heaven.

27. Sara says:

WHere is Japril? And maggie and Jackson-just no! Eww!

28. Phillip Mullen says:

I think Merideth wasn’t just mean she was insensitive to his feelings. I think Maggie and Jackson will just be friends.

29. Casey says:

Personally, I think April and Maggie are equally annoying and Jackson could do better than either of them.

30. Rade says:

Im sorry but i dont like maggie at all so annoying and whiny and entitled…. i cldnt careless if her mother died… 1 episode ia enuff to tell that story but 2…. so pissed… what a waste of my time…. Japril already…. kill Maggie Mer is used to it

31. Amima says:

What exactly is Amelia’s problem? Seriously, I don’t understand why she bothered to marry Owen in the first place. Also, can this dude catch a break in the love department? I don’t understand why his character is even still on the show. There’s one thing I do know about this hospital.. I would never want to go there for treatment if it were real. Everyone’s an emotional 8th grader and don’t think I’d want to put my life in their hands while they are all caught up in their personal shenanigans.

32. Margo says:

I do like this focus on Maggie….finally….give Kelly McCreary something to do! She’s great! They shouldn’t be wasting her acting talent away!

33. i think the most ridiculous plot line is Amelia and Owen, why, why??