Matthew Morrison Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy: Matthew Morrison Checks In as... Jo's Husband?!

Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jo will not be full of glee when she catches wind of this piece of news: Matthew Morrison is joining the ABC drama, and the buzz is that he’s playing her scary-ass husband.

ABC has yet to officially confirm the Glee vet’s casting, but photos surfaced Friday on social media showing Morrison shooting a scene with Grey’s regular Justin Chambers (whose Alex is intimately involved with Jo) on location in Los Angeles. That same day Morrison revealed via Instagram that he is playing a character named “Dr. Paul Stadler,” although he stopped short of confirming the project in question is Grey’s Anatomy.

Last month, TVLine broke the news that Shonda Rhimes & Co. were quietly looking for a Caucasian actor in his mid 40s to play a new doctor who is “appealing, charismatic and charming,” but also “manipulative” with a “scary dark side.” The MD in question was poised to turn up at the end of the current 13th season and likely return in the fall.

Scroll down to check out Morrison’s Instagram tease, and then hit the comments with your theories about his role.

1. Shay says:

I like him. But I really don’t care about everything involving Jo

• M says:

Well this is an important szoryline so maybe for once you and others could put your prejudices aside? I love Jo and I’m tired of people feeling like they always have to comment something negative about her everywhere.

• Amber says:

You know she’s a character right? No is not a real person.

• Gospino says:

Prejudices? Lol, disliking a incredibly annoying character is not a prejudice. Jo has been around for years, plenty long enough to earn the distaste with which many view her.

• Grey'sFan says:

I just hope they tell the story right and don’t make Jo some innocent victim and him out to be just a cartoon cutout bad guy. It should be told with an ending similar to how Derek and Addison both eventually untangled themselves from their marriage and moved on with their lives.
        Also, I hope he and Alex become BFFs and he is April’s next lover.

• Ray says:

I was a Glee fan so I like it. I think overall Alex has had the best romantic storylines on this show. From being a womanizer, then falling for Izzy while she was falling for Denny, then there was Little Grey, and my favorite being Jo. I had walked away from Grey’s and this was the storyline that brought me back.

2. fiberlicious says:

Will (SWIDT?) he get to dance? Or, say, twitch? Watching that man move is better than…..

3. Anon says:

I truly hate the Grey’s writers. Season 13 was supposed to give Alex and Jo an interesting multi layered storyline with different socially important aspects and what did we get? Nothing. It’s been a whole season since they mentioned her husband and they’re again gonna use Jo’s story only as a cliffhanger. They better do it right in aeason 14 because DV is important.

• Iris says:

It’s Jo. I bet you that her abusive husband will be woobified and she’ll end-up as looking like the bad guy. Or she might even be the bad guy. She’s perfect for Alex, really, they both always get the short end of the stick.
      I hope I’m wrong, but Grey’s track record with DV isn’t good.

• Terry says:

Don’t watch then! I love Shonda Rimes!

4. RS says:

Sounds perfect for the role — 12th episode of Glee, anyone?

5. J says:

Not looking forward to everyone swooning over him and shaming the DV victim again, because that’s Grey’s fans’ specialty. This guy almost killed his wife, I hope people will keep that in mind before they fall for his charm.

• Hannah says:

*eyeroll* These comments about how everyone is shaming the DV victim are getting old. Jo doesn’t get a pass for all of her awful behavior just because she was the victim of DV, just like Alex doesn’t get a pass for all his behavior because he was abused as a child. Nah, Jo is a sad, whiny mess, and people are allowed to dislike her for it.

6. Lauren says:

Go Jo! I can’t wait for het to finally get some focus. The writers teased her storyline and then gave other characters the focus this season. And domestic violence is so important. So many women die at the hands of their husbands. Jo didn’t and I want to see what Grey’s will do with that. Also if she and Alex can finally get some well earned focus as a couple that would be nice. Fans have been waiting for 3 years now for them to have a storyline and we’re tired!

• yarens says:

Preach. I’m so tired of Alex’s friendships taking up his entire screen time. At this rate he will never settle down and have an own family and play Uncle to Meredith’s kids forever. I need more Alex/Jo and to see what the writers can do with two characters who come from such similiar backgrounds that they undersrand each other better anyone else.

• Chelle says:

Very well said I’m rooting for no and Alex n maybe Alex Jr. Hmm will see

7. Mary says:

Not sure about this casting if he does play the abusive ex husband, but we will see.

8. sally says:

Matthew and Meredith….Much better the Riggs. Riggs has no screen appeal in Grey’s. Amelia and Owen are getting a little ridiculous also. Move it along already.

9. Netty says:

I love him but will never look at him the same after his brief guest role on Younger ….how could you, Mr Schu?? Lol

10. GrumpyMittens says:

I wasn’t sure about that one but the longer I think about it… Yeah, if you need an actor for the role of an abuser who looks like a decent guy but can be really creepy and threatening, that’s the casting.

11. LaDonna says:

Haven’t seen him in Younger, but I’m looking forward to seeing him in a “bad guy” role on Grey’s!

12. Aimee says:

I don’t care, they’ve ridiculed this SL for 4 years now. It’s probably the worst written storyline for any character on this show. I just can’t wait till the finally put an end to this.. so we can focus on more interesting characters like Alex, Meredith and Jackson and April.

13. Fernanda says:

McScary arrives at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital… there is no Glee for Jolex

14. T.W.S.S. says:

Please, no Grey’s musical episode. I’m still getting over the last one.

15. Debbie says:

Would love to see him on a great tv show again! Just wish it wasn’t as a bad character! This, however, will show us what great acting abilities I know he has!👍
    What has happened to sweet Mr. Shu?
    Love him anyway

16. ZinniQ says:

Who’s Jo? Stopped watching years ago,lol!

17. Michael Scarn says:

Uh I hope he isn’t Jo’s husband. That storyline really doesn’t need to happen. Anything involving Jo is just awful. The show doesn’t handle it well and honestly making Jo the front and center of anything is just a terrible idea. Make her leave.

18. Roe says:

After seeing him in Glee and on Broadway….I’m not so sure I can see him playing a bad guy!!

19. Why would Jo go into the medical field if the person she is running away from is a doctor? Doesn’t that make it slightly more possible for her to run into him somehow? I feel like it would.

20. Jo is a real persons story thats why this is so important