Scandal Spoilers

Scandal @ PaleyFest: Cast Talks Huck's Fate, 100th 'What If' Episode and More

The stars of Scandal — including one whose character was last seen bleeding out on the floor of a motel room — assembled at PaleyFest on Sunday to discuss the ABC drama’s storied history… and its upcoming 100th episode.

Let’s start by addressing the hemorrhaging elephant in the room: Yes, actor Guillermo Diaz was present at the panel — and received, arguably, the loudest applause — but if you were hoping for a confirmation on Huck’s fate, I’ve got some disappointing news: Diaz’s lips are sealed.

“There’s been so much love for Huck, for this character that I’ve been so lucky to play for this long,” Diaz said of life after Huck’s surprise run-in with Meg. “My social media’s just non-stop. It feels really good.”

George Newbern also couldn’t say much about Charlie and Quinn’s nuptials — or lack thereof — though he did confirm that they’re looking for some sort of “normalcy” in their lives. (Yeah, good luck with that.)

The topic of the Shadowy Organization™ also came up, though Joe Morton remained similarly coy about what the future holds for Rowan. “He says something to Olivia like, ‘I’m not the predator, I’m just very smart prey,'” Morton recalled. “He’s always looking for the escape.”

(Fun fact: Jeff Perry said that his daughter landed the role of the Shadowy Organization™’s mysterious leader after series creator Shonda Rhimes saw them in a play together.)

The cast is also pumped for the 100th episode, an hour that explores what might have happened “if things had not gone the way they went,” Goldwyn teased. But the big “what if” episode — territory previously explored by Rhimes on Grey’s Anatomy — is more than “just a standalone [episode.]”

“It actually informs your understanding of all of us when you get back to … our normal schedule,” Goldwyn explained.

Josh Malina promised “some fantasy fulfillment” and “some dread fulfillment,” while Katie Lowes assured fans that they’ll see “the OG Gladiator inside track. [It’s] such a gift that the Scandal writers gave to us and, in turn, to the fans.”

On a more poetic note, Darby Stanchfield called the episode “oxygen to this fire. You laugh because you need to. The audience will feel that too, this sort of respite 100th episode in the midst [of so much chaos].”

But no one on the panel got more poetic than Cornelius Smith, Jr., who teased, “In the next coming episodes, there will be more crumbs [added] to the beautiful pie that could or could not be Mellie and Marcus.” (Why am I suddenly really hungry?)

And if you’re dreading the series’ inevitable end, perhaps these words from Morton will ease your troubled mind: “I think it goes as long as [the fans] want it to go.”

Your thoughts on the future of ScandalDrop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ange says:

Why bother?

2. JM says:

Based on ratings and age of the show, I foresee season 7 (if not 8) a final season. Then again, given the ‘Omg’ moment of last weeks episode, I wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t a sudden spike up.

3. Ian says:

This sounds like a fan grab episode. What’s betting there’s a ton of fanservice to try and draw people back.

4. Douglas from Brazil says:

The “What If ” episode was used in Grey’s season 8 episode. Gosh, Shonda, kill Rowan and Jake then we’re good.

5. Haz says:

Wow what a unoriginal concept to celebrate such a milestone. Episodes of Friends, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Desperate Housewives, Raising Hope and Psych all pop into my head when I think of the “what if” concept. That’s just thinking of shows that have aired in just the past 10 to 15 years.

• Miranda says:

Alternate reality episodes are pretty common practice for long-running TV series. As someone who loves them, please don’t rain on the parade of those that do. Originality is not possible, but concepts can be tweaked for a viewers enjoyment.

For me, I stopped watching this series about two episodes in this season, but I may have to tune in for this one.

6. Brian says:

I guess Shonda came around to this “What If” idea because there’s an old tweet from her that’s now being retweeted all over twitter that shows Shonda crapping on this “what If” idea from a fan. Reminds me of when she tweeted that ring Olivia wore from Fitz didn’t have a story behind it and she had wondered why fans thought there was and then eventually there was a story behind the ring.

7. Teresa Cox says:

I love scandal. I hope it is another season and I hope they did not kill huck off.

8. Addie Eleby says:

Since Honda broke up Friz and Liv I do not watch scandal anymore. It’s not interest to me anymore. Dull Dull.

9. Joy says:

I am a gladiator I will always watch. And Huck will survive because he has to, he is a gladiator too. And Rowan is the MAN he too will come out of this why, he is a gladiator’s dad.

10. Doyle says:

Please do not stop the best show on television right now! Scandal, the best of the best!!!

• Cj says:

I like the show and I hope that it survives. Whenever the last episode is I hope they tie up lose ends and put Filts back in Olivia arms. A wonderful twist would be to make Abby have to come back to the team in order to fight against Sirus. It’s time for Abby to get hers, she has been a bad girl, lol

11. SoMuchHope says:

I’ve stopped watching the show but I’m still curious as to what everyone else is saying about it. Another if/then/else episode, huh. Why bother, none of them ever ends well in Shondaland. But for all of you die hard Sadiators oops, I mean Gladiators, post something about the ep, I’ll read it….eventually.

12. My Favorite TV Show 😁😁😁 I Love 💓 Olivia Pope/ Kerry Washington is My Favorite Actress. Kerry Washington is a phenomenal woman!!!