Lucifer Season 3 Renewed

Lucifer's Season to Be Cut Short, Four Standalone Episodes Saved for Fall

What the… blazes?

Fox is cutting short Lucifer‘s sophomore run, saving the final four of the 22 produced episodes for Season 3, TVLine has confirmed.

The scheduling switch-up, which trims Season 2’s tally to 18 episodes and places the finale on Monday, May 29, was first noted by Futon Critic.

Now lest anyone cry “But… closure!,” TVLine did report back in December that those four episodes will be standalone in nature, and not critical parts of any serialized narrative.

“We have four episodes at the very end that … are going to be completely standalone episodes,” co-showrunner Ildy Modrovich told me in the course of answering an Inside Line reader question. One of them, she said, is “a flashback to Lucifer first arriving [in Los Angeles].”

TVLine has since learned that the four, more character-focused episodes are not “100-percent standalone” but do pick up some current story points while teeing up new ones.

“[W]e designed this season to be an 18-episode arc because we originally were going to be 18 episodes. But then we got four more! Surprise!” co-showrunner Joe Henderson explained on Twitter on Thursday. “So we decided to create four episodes that let us play around a bit. Dig deeper into the character stories, play with format a bit, etc. We didn’t know whether they’d air this season or next until now. Now we do. So bad news is you need to wait for them. And I know that sucks.” (Henderson answers your burning questions about the scheduling here; please read before wondering aloud in Comments.)

Currently on a midseason break, Lucifer resumes its run on Monday, May 1, with Episode 14.

Want scoop on Lucifer, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. kate says:

Well, okay, when I first read this I was like, wait, no more Lucifer this year?

• Alichat says:

I read it as no new Lucifer episodes for an additional 6 months. But then I stopped and actually realized what I was reading…..and mind you this is the second article I read about this. LOL Not sure why but I thought the 18 had already aired. But it’s only been 13. So we are still going to get the remaining 5 in May I’m assuming.

And I think I need a nap. LOL

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Eh, I don’t really care when they air them, just as long as they do.

3. I hope whatever Executive made this asinine decision BURNS IN HELL!!!

4. Sara says:

It seems weird to expand and then not have a space for that expansion. But we have a guaranteed season 2, so I’ll take what I can get!

5. Larc says:

FOX probably wants to replace those last 4 episodes with some piece of tripe. Maybe failure for them? My schadenfreude genes are starting to stir. ;)

6. kmw says:

Ok fine its positive that Lucifer doesn’t have to run into summer( look how well that worked with Bones). On the other hand its this kind of scheduling crap that consistently hurts FOX and the shows they air. Putting their season finale on Memorial Day isn’t much better than letting them run into summer. I am starting to get the feeling Lucifer is going to be FOX’S new Bones ratcheting them around their nights Difference is we are living in a different television era and bouncing this show around isn’t a good idea. One way or the other Lucifer is looking at fractional for their finale now its just sooner

• Stephanie Z says:

I have watched Bones from the beginning and I think it’s run its course. Time to end. Lucifer is refreshing, innovating and fun to watch.

• DENNIS says:

I’ve also watched Bones from the beginning and Lucifer as well. Fox would have a great lineup if they would leave stuff alone. Bones was an awesome show and Lucifer is even better.

7. Daya says:

As if waiting ’til May wasn’t bad enough. (*facepalm*)

8. Iris says:

Not. Happy.
    The timeslot is being ruined by that stinker APB and now this.

9. Horus says:

Does Joe Henderson work for Trump? When Fox’s president upped the season order for Lucifer back in October he said: ““Lucifer continues to deliver, with great blasts of dark humor and ambitious storytelling,” said Fox entertainment president David Madden. “The show has turned out to be a true wicked pleasure, the perfect companion to Gotham, and we couldn’t be more pleased to order these nine additional episodes.”
    It’s clear the original order was for 13, not 18 like Joe’s trying to say. So this is a cut from their upped amount. And since the last 9 are already filmed this really means less money spent on the 22 for next year; assuming that order isn’t also cutback.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They went into the season anticipating a back 5 at most, but in success got the full back 9. #MysterySolved

10. Billy meacham says:

Well quit taking these long freaking breaks in between and only airing 3 to 4 episodes a month. And Gotham is like that too

11. jml says:

Grey’s Anatomy did something similar way back when their 13-episode first season got trimmed to 9 episodes, and the remaining ones launched season 2. That meant that season 2 had a larger-than-usual 27 episodes, and they aired fewer repeats because of it. So that would seem to be the silver lining here too; wait now, more episodes and less reruns or preemptions next season. Hypothetically.

12. That makes no sense – you have a show that has been gaining in its momentum and enriching its story and you promise us 22 episodes and then you renege on that promise. It’s already in the longest mid-season break I’ve ever heard of – and then you FINALLY return with only a paltry number of episodes – that is just dumb. That show is a delight and deserves better treatment.

• Iris says:

It’s such a gem. Best network show on TV for me.

• Daniel says:

They love the show. It would KILL the show to air in June. That’s why they’re airing it in the fall. In fact… it’s going to hurt it airing on Memorial Day… but what can you do? The finale (ep 18) is a part of the current storyline. FOX, LIKE ALL the other networks, HAS to be open to new programming. It’s a fact of life. Deal with it.

• Wanda says:

Agree. Show is a devilish pleasure. I don’t like these unnecessary delays.

13. Joey Padron says:

Surprised Fox would do this. Glad the 4 extra episodes will be in season 3. Can’t wait for the show to return in May!

14. Gordon Rick says:

That does suck. Lucifer is my favorite show! I wanted more! Boo! Hiss!

15. Butch says:

I am not surprised they did this when the announced the show would be off until May. It’s just ridiculous that they took the show off all these months. It wouldn’t be bad if they produced an additional 22 episodes plus the 4 holdovers next season, but that probably not going to happen. Is next season just 13 so far?

16. jericho says:

I hope this means that Fox is going to try and get Lucifer a “headstart” this fall by starting these 4 episodes a month earlier than the other “new” fall shows. It has worked for them in the past and would be a great way to get some more eyes on this wonderful show from people who blew it off because of its name.

17. arial2 says:

And there I was, hoping for a stand-alone episode titled “Lucifer visits the White House.” lol. Don’t like the delay, but a least we’ll see them next season. (FYI: I tried watching, liking APB, but just can’t get into it)

18. James D says:

Come on Fox, get your head in the game folks! i thought the come back for three episodes and stop till May was dumb enough, but this is just lazy. at least they’re stand alone episodes and we will eventually get to see them, sucks big time that we have to wait because Fox has no idea what they’re doing. arg!

19. Erica says:

Once again FOX playing games with shows!!!!!! Will they ever learn?!

20. kalli says:

For those of us who don’t Twitter, what does it say? I tried but got lost in some kind of activist fanart and couldn’t find anything relevant, as it just links to the Twitter account and not a specific tweet. Bad reporting, really – while I don’t like the ‘see these tweets’ style of journalism, at least I’m not expected to wade through other things to find news on my own.

• Daniel says:

Those nothing about “doing twitter”. In fact, it’s just like tvline… you’r getting a reporter giving you news… except its the showrunner and he’s giving you the scoop himself. go to twitter.com and search his name… or in the various Lucifier articles I’ve seen pictures with his twitter name (that is clickable). Not everything needs to be spoon fed to adults online.

• kalli says:

Wow, you don’t get it, do you? The link in the article goes to the main Twitter account. The ‘news’ is buried under all the tweets he’s made since. It is possible to embed a Tweet, or provide a link to a specific tweet, rather than link to the account. TVLine is a news site, so the expectation is they take news from sources, put it in the article with commentary or other pieces of news to make a story. Would you like CNN to say ‘go to Iraq yourself to find out what this article is about’? No, you wouldn’t. When it’s someone’s job to provide people with news, we expect them to do it. When they link to Deadline, they say “As our sister site reported (link), this is a thing”. It doesn’t say “Here is an article! The actual news content is on our sister site, Deadline!” and link you to Deadline’s front page. If it’s expected of us to read it as part of the story prior to commenting, it should be in the article.

21. Jim J. says:

If this means “Lucifer” will air a total of 26 episodes during the 2017-18 season, will the series still take a mid-season hiatus to make room for any “bridge” serieses (like “24: Legacy”, if it gets renewed). It will be especially bad with the Winter Olympics (which are telecast on NBC) next February.

22. Billy Bob Johnson says:

So, still have 5 episodes in May, and then a Season 3. I’m just fine with that.

23. So says:

I hope that this will be like Bones season 3/4 when the writers strike happened and the season was cut short but they had created more episodes so we got a super sized season 4 of 26 episodes! That would be awesome!

24. Stephanie Zanter says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I absolutely love this show! Say it isn’t so!

25. MANDI s says:

Clearly this was known about for awhile. It’s a shame but what are you going to do.
    I am more concerned with the stand alone epsiodes. In my opinion they have never really worked that well. They never add much to the overall show and tend to distract from it as well.
    Usually I feel they are done because a writer wants to write something different or an actor wants to showcase his skills.
    And 4 stand alone epsiodes is quite ambitious. It is valuable time that is not devoted to the overall show. Which in this case is huge.
    Honestly there is nothing like this show on Tv right now. Truly one of the best shows. It takes an incredible group of talented people to put on a show like this, so it is a bit frustrating when something like this happens they have so many interesting plots right now and some need answering that I find it hard that they can cover with just 5 episodes. I am a bit worried and Mr. Henderson’s words did give me pause and a bit of indigestion.
    Also to have to wait 3 months and then after one month to be asked to wait another 3-4 months is stretching people’s limits.
    I hope we don’t have another huge cliff hanger again as well. That too begins to take a toll as well. You just get tired and irritated by it all.had we not just been thru all this would be different.
    I am going to hope for the best and put my trust into these guys, that it will all work out,.However I am going to cross my finger and rub my rabbits foot for luck. Couldn’t hurt right!

26. mooshki says:

Boo!

27. Rick Katze says:

DEADLINE confirms 22 +4 for Season 3. Would have been nice if this site could have simply reported it instead of having to google it to get an answer.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi, Rick. That information was not confirmed at the time we published. Even the showrunner himself, at the time we published, had no idea how it would shake out. Deadline, as they often do, added that detail well after the fact.

FWIW, frequent Googling is healthy.