The Last Man on Earth San Francisco

The Last Man on Earth Isn't Headed for Extinction at Fox, Is It?

If The Last Man on Earth‘s approaching season finale turns out to be a series finale, the show’s fans are going to be left with a not-so-satisfied feeling, predicts Will Forte.

Discussing the Fox comedy’s uncertain future with TVLine, Forte — who is both Last Man‘s creator and star — says “the finale of Season 3 would be a real bummer for people if it didn’t come back for a fourth season, because there’s something that happens [in the episode] that opens the gateway to the possibility of stuff. I’m really excited about how it ends… And I think that people probably have a good idea what it is.” (Hmm…. Might it have something to do with this?)

Forte adds that he hasn’t “heard anything about a renewal,” adding, “I think [Fox] likes the show. But I know it’s all about the ratings and stuff. So I guess we just have to see.”

A Fox spokesperson, meanwhile, tells TVLine, “Last Man on Earth and other current shows are under consideration for renewal and we’ll be making decisions over the next two months.” (We’re hearing from insiders that the show has a 50/50 shot of returning.)

“I do hope we get a fourth season,” Forte continues. “It’s just such a wonderful group of people to work with.”

The mere possibility of Last Man on Earth getting wiped off the TV map got us wondering: What would a proper series finale even look like? “I like the final Breaking Bad episode,” Forte shares with a chuckle. “So we might just do a shot-for-shot remake of that.”

1. Will says:

They should move it to fx or fxx. It always seemed too weird for network and seems like a better fit for one of fox’s cable siblings

2. Stacy says:

I would be horrified if FOX canceled this gem.

3. webly3 says:

I would be so upset if they canceled it! Fox is always the network that disappoints people with their cancellations the most. I hope they keep it. It’s not like any of their comedies have much better ratings anyways. You can argue that some of the animation domination block does, but it always depends on their sports lead-in.

4. kmw says:

With FOX you never know what they will do but I hope they don’t let this go. FOX has lots of problems but this show isn’t one of them

5. Kris says:

They better not let this or New Girl go! They are both wholly entertaining and laugh out loud funny! I hear they both have 50/50 chances, but let’s hope they return next fall!!!!

6. J.Norman says:

I think it will squeak by.
    But only because Making History is so bad.

7. Ray says:

I quit watching earlier this season. Just wasn’t funny anymore :\

8. T.W.S.S. says:

My guess is that Gotham, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and New Girl are in the same boat.

• Paul says:

I think Gotham is very close to a lock for renewal. If it gets 22 episodes next year it will get stripped syndication, so my bet is that Warner Bros will give Fox a very good deal for the 4th season, since it will essentially pay for itself, but it is possible since Fox doesn’t own it, they would pass. Then again, they can pair that with the X-Men/Mutants show, which seems like it will be green lit. New Girl is definitely on the chopping block its way past syndication and the ratings are low. Brooklyn Nine Nine is in the same boat as New Girl, as at the end of this year Brooklyn Nine-Nine it will have slightly over 88 episodes meaning that it will already be in syndication, which means no big payday for the producing studios.

9. Haz says:

I personally don’t watch the show because I’m not a huge fan of Schaal. However isn’t it doing better than Son of Zorn as well as Making History? I’m also worried about Brooklyn they are not back until next month and depending on how they resolve the cliffhanger will determine if they lose or keep viewers. I like Adam Pally and Leighton Meester could drop the one-liners on Gossip Girl however Making History is awful. The pilot was ok but the second episode I stopped halfway through it seemed like an awful gun/anti – gun control PSA. It was just cringe worthy to me. Superstores episode on this topic not only explained both sides arguments but was actually funny. I will be honest a number of comedies on Fox would have been better on FXX or Hulu.

• Mel says:

I was not a fan of Schaal either – just the sound of her voice would make me grab the remote to change channels.

However, she has won me over with this series. She plays the best character – this quirky, sweet woman who cares about everyone. She’s the emotional center of the show.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Wow, glad I am not the only one – I stopped watching 30 Rock because of Schaal, and have stopped watching Last Man from time to time when I couldn’t take Schaal any longer. I have never (ever) understood what type of connections she must have to keep finding work. Amazing.

• rarefied says:

I’m not that worried about how they’re resolving the cliffhanger – Chelsea Peretti is pregnant so I’m guessing they’ll be hiding it for the rest of the season by putting her in a hospital bed. I do worry every season that this one will be its last and the late return after the winter finale doesn’t help this year.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Agree with your Schaal comments. Also agree on Finding History… Finding History is history – it will be not be coming back in fall. What a waste of talent on that show. How in the world did this series get the green-light last Upfront?

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Oops… typo – ‘Making History’, not ‘Finding History’. Either way, I guess soon it will be Canceled History.

10. Luke says:

Oh this better keep going. I love it!

11. Ram510 says:

That’s fine. The lead on this show has grown insufferable. I wouldn’t be sad if this show is gone

12. Boiler says:

If this is saved and New Girl goes it continues to show how dumb FOX is. Did Reilly go back there?:)

13. Bekah Leon says:

It would be a real shame to not renew the last man on earth. I feel like its only just beginning. You can tell there’s so much more for us to find out about. Its funny, its fresh. I think it would be a shame to cancel it so soon. If I were will forte I’d consider partnering with Netflix and keep this awesome show going. The cast is wonderful.

14. Beth says:

I love this show-so humorous!
    Please renew!!!

15. pickles says:

I love this show,but the Kristin Wiig episode was a waste of time to me.

16. kat0711 says:

Well this is upsetting even just as a possibility. I only discovered the show this season and it’s the first network sitcom in at least a decade that I faithfully watch every week.

17. Kristina says:

I love. Last man on earth it petty good show

18. annna says:

Please renew it! This show is so unique. It’s both deeply devastating and funny.

19. The Truth says:

Yeah if Fox canceled The Mindy Project they need to move on with duds like Last Man on Earth and New Girl. They both aren’t really good shows anymore and both have terrible ratings. Plus Will Forte character Tandy is just to ignoring to be still alive

20. Michael says:

I would like to see a renewal of Season 4.

21. Michael says:

I would like to see the show renewed for Season 4.

22. Sajana says:

How sad. Love the show… :( :(

23. mialee says:

Too bad they had to become ‘political’…I won’t watch it any more…no excuses for bad taste.

24. Steph says:

Please keep The Last man on earth” on tv I love the show! It’s so funny and different.

25. See says:

I hope they don’t cancel this show! It’s one of few shows me and my husband will actually watch together! Lol

26. CT Ronn says:

It’s gotten boring and political. End it.

27. Michael says:

I find this show fun to watch, it’s funny and serious at the same time. You don’t know whats around the corner. Continue the seasons. It seems like a winner!

28. Ennyl says:

Please do not cancel Last Man On Earth! It’s one of the best comedies to watch; very funny and entertaining. A great fantasy!

29. Hi there. says:

Oh no you DON’T!

30. Hgio says:

Please do not cancel The Last man on Earth.. I love this series. There are not very many shows I appreciate. This is a very well done series and the actors are sooo funny and talented.

31. Carrie says:

Nooo! Are you kidding me!?!? You have to have another season! I LMAO with every episode. I have been asking my husband for
    Months if he’s heard of anything about the start of the new season, and with no idea from him, I googled it to find this disappointing news! Why? This show is really funny! And I dot watch tv too often, when I do, I make it worth it…this show has been my-be patient & wait for it…just like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones…it’s that kind of “I Can’t wait for the new episode!” Please Don’t Cancel It!!!

32. Ed says:

It’s in the worst time slot for a show like this. It’s up against the titan TWD, Talking Dead. It deserves a different time slot. I like the crew and tune in each week to see them. But it does seem like the story needs work. The story needs some meat added to the bone.