greys anatomy season 13 episode 16 sarah drew preview interview

Grey's Anatomy Preview: Sarah Drew Reveals What April Does For Jackson 'Out of Love' in #JaprilTheSequel

The promos for Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy (8/7c, ABC) have already revealed that Jackson and April’s work trip to Montana reunites him with his long-lost father. But what they don’t reveal is how what transpires on that journey impacts Harriet’s divorced co-parents going forward. “At the beginning of the episode, there is so much tension between them,” Sarah Drew, who plays Dr. Kepner, tells TVLine. “They don’t have any real sense that they are going to work anything out [during their travels]. It’s not a nice, cozy vacation.”

RELATED Ellen Pompeo to Make Grey’s Anatomy Directorial Debut This Season

However, once April learns that Jackson has found his dad (whose casting will remain a secret until airtime), everything changes. “She realizes from the beginning that something’s going on with him. He’s unusually cross with her — even in terms of their working relationship,” notes Drew. “So when she discovers that [the reason] is his father, it kind of opens up a world for her of, ‘Now everything makes sense’ — his attitude, his shortness, his shutting her out.

“Because this is a very deep and intense situation,” she continues, “it gives her more empathy and patience towards him.”

greys anatomy season 13 episode 16 spoilers sarah drew april jacksonIt also gives her a mission to accomplish: getting him to at last have it out with his father. “I love the way that scene plays out. She doesn’t say, ‘You need to go because you’re going through something, and I care about you and want you to figure it out,'” the actress previews. “No, she says, ‘You need to go because you can’t do your job right now, and I need you to do your job.’

“That’s really tough, and I don’t think it’s completely honest,” she adds. “I think [she does it] totally out of love, but she’s not going to let on that it is, because… that’s exactly what he needs to hear in that moment. She’s so firm and so strong. She’s really being a rock for him.”

So much so that, by the end of “Who Is He (And What Is He to You)?” the once-marrieds are closer than they have been in ages. “Regardless of where it goes from here,” Drew says, “there is a great healing that has happened as a result of this experience that I think would give Japril fans a lot of hope.”

What do you think, Grey’s fans? Would you like to see Harriet’s folks give it another go? Who do you picture as Jackson’s father? Hit the comments.

1. Aimee says:

I hope they work their problems and this is a step foward in the right direction. In terms of them getting back together for good. This is the most interesting couple on the show and they’ve experienced enough tragedy, sadness and anger. I hope they get back together.

2. Eric7740 says:

BOOOO!!!! Break Jackson and April up forever!!!!! I hate them together!!! Jackson deserves better than whiny, cry baby April!!!!

• Tiffany says:

Preach!!

• Larc says:

Agree! April is totally self centered. In my book, she could never live down deserting Jackson. Maybe if she had done it only once, but no way with twice.

• Where is Merideth Grey???!!!! says:

I am skipping this episode… can not stand April. I am still upset she avoided the gunman a few seasons ago. April has been unbearable this season and if she magically gets Merideth’s Chief role I am going to seriously consider removing Grey’s from my PVR….

• Jake says:

I love when they do episodes that only feature 2 or 3 of the series regulars. However, April and Jackson is the one storyline I actually FFWD through [I’ve been an avid fan since the pilot premiered] and their storyline is so overplayed and down-right boring. Alex and Jo/ April and Jackson are the worst couples on the show. Alex and Jackson deserve more interesting love interests. Although, I do like April way more than Jo.

• Nagus says:

I think that they are better apart . I have never been a Jackson and April fan. I think jackson needs a new love interest ,and so does she .I really liked Stephanie and Jackson’s chemistry. It would be nice to see those 2 have another chance. Oh and what the heck is wrong with Arizona’s nose???

3. Azerty says:

I am sure it will be a good episode, especially if we get to know Jackson’s father but damn it I hate those kind of episode focusing only on one or two characters. I prefer when everyone interact with everyone…I get that it is different from 13 years ago when the cast was smaller but if they can’t handle such big ensemble then stop adding new characters…

4. Dee says:

It’s past time to see April and Jackson back together! Need some happy couples on this show and these two definitely have the most chemistry and history. No clue who his father will be, but glad they are finally addressing this part of the Avery backstory.

5. barbara a martinez says:

Love this. I really want to see them back together.

6. N says:

Sounds good

7. jovana says:

I can’t wait!

8. Greg says:

April is the worst. Her character failed her boards, yet somehow became temp head of surgery? How many times has she messed up, and continues to whine like she’s hard done by. I hope she doesn’t get Jackson back, she abandoned him to go abroad and didnt even tell him she was pregnant, she is a mess.

9. Anne says:

The BEST coyote on the show by farrrrr!! They need to heal and I think this ep will do that. Hopefully they can slowly find their way back together, I need happy couples.

10. lana says:

can’t wait for this. hope this is the start toward their reconciliation
    Love japril so much

11. Jeffrey Rahm says:

Adam Sandler?

12. Pamela says:

Why does this awful couple keep getting episodes totally devoted to them?!

13. Diane says:

April and Jackson need to get back together

14. jessica ranchez says:

i picture him tall and bald and like stern looking he doesn’t strike me as the father type when i think of this “mystery” man

15. my favorite couple besides derek and meredith was sloan and lexie because together they were “sexie” 😂😂👏🏻👏🏻

16. never liked april hated from the start i kinda wish they’d kill her off not to be a biatch or anything

17. Cassie Johnson says:

I really hope they bring them back together there my favorite couple besides Lexi and slough

18. Jazzy says:

I love ❤️ April & Jackson together.
    I cheered out loud when he finally spoke up at her wedding & I was miserable when I saw where they were headed after getting married.
    Together as a couple they make me smile 👍👍👍

19. Holle Kane says:

I am very hopeful that Jackson and April get back together.