Flash Spoilers Barry Iris

The Flash's Candice Patton Weighs In on Broken 'WestAllen' Engagement, Teases 'Breathless' Musical Role

They’ll always have… noodles?

On The CW’s The Flash (airing Tuesdays at 8/7c), Iris’ engagement ended in a jiffy when it came to light that Barry popped the question in part to stop the future in which his longtime love gets slain by Savitar.

Having previously shared Grant Gustin’s take on the sad twist, TVLine also chatted up Candice Patton during our visit to the set, where she assayed Iris’ emotions, shared the West family’s torment over Wally’s situation and teased fun times ahead in the March 20 musical episode featuring Supergirl superfriends.

TVLINE | That was kind of a bush league move from Wally there, returning from “the future” and blabbing about Barry’s motivation for proposing.
I know. I guess it depends on who you ask. He’s trying to stick up for his sister, obviously, but he did throw Barry completely under the bus. He then got in the bus, drove it, ran back over Barry a bit…. Yeah.

TVLINE | What was important to you about that heart-to-heart between Iris and Barry? Where she said he should have proposed purely out of love…
“…and not because you’re afraid for me.” Say what you will, I think everybody is kind of rooting for “WestAllen,” but I think Iris has a legitimate concern and fear. No woman or man wants to be proposed to out of fear. I mean, to save your life is a huge thing, but you want your marriage to be based in love. So Iris is going to need some time to think about it, if this is the right thing to do.

TVLINE I thought it was a great scene in that it walked these fine lines, where you wanted to make sure she did feel appreciated, that she wasn’t dismissing the gesture wholesale. She just wanted it properly contextualized.
Exactly. Iris isn’t saying that she doesn’t love Barry. She very much does. But she wants the engagement to be everything a woman dreams of — that it’s real and romantic and based in love.

TVLINE She did get noodles out of it.
She did get noodles out of it.

TVLINE | Are there actual noodles…?
[Sadly] No. I’ve never smelt Grandma Esther’s noodles, so I can’t tell you if they’re actually good or not.

TVLINE | How do you think the circumstances would need to be different for Barry to even think about proposing again?
I think he’s got to be genuine, first of all. Not that he isn’t genuine, but he needs to make Iris assured that obviously he wants to save her but that he wants to be with her because he loves her, and she’s the only person he wants to be with.

TVLINE | How are the Wests coping after Wally got sucked into the Speed Force?
They’re devastated. The thought of losing a family member, especially for the Wests and for Barry, is horrific. We’ve lost so many people. We lost [Iris and Wally’s mother] Francine just last season, so the thought of Wally being trapped somewhere and us not being able to get to him is really devastating. We’re going to see them grapple with that in this next episode.

TVLINE | My readers are repeatedly asking: Are we going to see Iris doing anything to investigative the Savitar thing, to kind of help her own cause?
No. [Laughs] I know, I know fans are constantly wanting to see Iris do more investigative work and to use her reporter skills to further the narrative that’s happening this season with Savitar. Maybe next season we’ll see more of that.

TVLINE | The producers told me that Iris plays a huge role in the musical crossover with Supergirl (airing Tuesday, March 21).
Yeah! I saw that article, and I didn’t really think of it that way, but yeah, she’s a big part of it because this is her first crossover ever. Although I don’t thinks she’s technically crossing over….

TVLINE | She’s being “crossed over” [by some Supergirl cast].
She’s being “crossed over,” yeah. We get to see Iris as a completely different character — new name, new everything. Barry is whammied by the Music Meister and both him and Kara are in this dream-like state where they envision a world where… Iris is this fast-talking, brash daughter of a mobster. It’s a wig that we put on, and I was very much inspired by [Dick Tracy‘s] Breathless Mahoney. It’s just fun for us to do something different, because Iris usually has that “girl next door” thing going on. Even the sets we’re in are so glamorous and kind of 1940s-style. It’s really fun.

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Emily says:

It sucks that these writers don’t know how to incorporate Iris’ work into the show, but at least I’m excited for the musical episode! Candice is hilarious, too.

2. Dominique says:

well no i’m not rooting for westallen.
    i know i’m in the minorit but i’ve never really quite liked iris. i agree the proposal JUST to alter the future was a d!ck move and barry really should’ve done it differently.
    but like her brother, iris is very good at always placing the blame on others and be ungrateful when everybody’s working to save her.

• Grace says:

Anyone who says they don’t understand Iris’s reasons for breaking off the engagement or says she’s being selfish because she wants her future husband to marry her for love is just being willfully ignorant and trollish.

I’m excited for Iris’s role in the musical episode!!

• Dominique says:

of course! imagine that people just don’t like a character. what a wild thing that would be huh?

• anon says:

Of course you can dislike a character. The thing is that there’s been many instances where people dislike Iris for one reason and one reason only (and those people also made sure Candice knew those reasons too). So that makes a lot of Iris fans very leery when we come across someone who “just never quite liked her” and call her ungrateful without any proof to back it up.

• Patrick says:

I like Iris just fine. IMO she and Allen have zero romantic chemistry. They are great as friends, and near siblings. But the romantic aspect is borderline creepy to me, as I really see a filial chemistry between them. I think it is apparent that the two actors aren’t really sexually attracted to each other, and watching them try to be romantic is like watching young children close their eyes, grit their teeth, and try to choke down some broccoli. They’ll do it, but they aren’t into it. And, frankly, I’ve always thought Iris’s portrayer was far more indifferent to Allen’s portrayer than vice versa, and he’s not exactly smoldering. Hey, I can recognize that short blond women are physically appealing despite the fact that I personally am not usually attracted to short blond women. I suspect the same to be true for the two leads. They simply aren’t each others’ type, and aren’t good enough actors to sell a romance despite this.

• Emily says:

I’m still laughing over people claiming Grant and Candice have no romantic chemistry when chemistry is literally the reason she was cast. But “each to his own,” right?

• anon says:

@ Emily, yeah I just rolled my eyes at that comment 🙄. Forget that Grant and Candice’s chemistry was called “magic” by the casting director and how numerous articles have mentioned how their chemistry enhances all Barry/Iris scenes. There’s no use arguing with some people, I’m trying to remember that.

• Patrick says:

The casting director can say whatever. Maybe he was told to cast a certain actress, and is now justifying that decision. What else would he say? Maybe he did see chemistry. As I said, the filial chemistry is off the charts, and maybe he hoped that would grow. It didn’t, and I am hardly alone in liking Iris, but not liking Iris and Barry together.

• Ralph says:

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. Not everything is a race issue. I like Iris over Patty but also think Barry has more chemistry with Kara and even Caitlin. Not the point, Iris is end game. Although, I wish they could handle the romance stuff right, the show is still addictive to watch and the crossovers are must see events.

• Roxy says:

Lol ofc Candice is assuming ppl who don’t like Iris actually have a life and are not reading interviews about her character only to leave negative comments. Clearly you have nothing better to do with your life. She’s addressing Iris/WA fans not you. Get a life and maybe spend more time reading/commenting on your favorites

• mapo24 says:

Exactly, she is not adressing the haters lol She had better hings to do. She was talking about us, her fans who wanted to hear from her since the last emotional episode.It might surprise some but Candice Patton has fans around the world. But I guess trolls will be trolls or i might say cockroaches will cockroach )-:

• really109 says:

So you would be ok being proposed to for that reason. I guess some people have low standards and don’t think of themselves that well. And when has she ever placed blame on someone? If you don’t like her say that but lying about her character is a dick move.

• ???
      ??? What show are you watching? Iris selfish? Yeah okay…

3. Diana says:

‘Are there actual noodles…?’ Ha ha. I’m also getting curious about these noodles we keep hearing about. Still processing all this new information. For now let me say: I’m rooting for Barry and Iris!

4. KM says:

I think she should work on television as a news reporter, that would be awsome, and am also rooting for Barry and Iris.

5. anon says:

Thanks for this interview too, Matt! I like hearing from Candice too and seeing her thoughts on Iris/WA. There’s no doubt that Iris does want to be engaged, it’s just about the circumstances surrounding it. And ha, Wally totally did throw Barry under a bus and then put it in reverse and went over him again. I’m not surprised about the crossover, I had a feeling even back then that it was more like Iris is actually in it this time and has lines that don’t revolve around how hot Oliver is (those lines were funny don’t get me wrong). And maybe one day we’ll see Iris work more on stories.

6. Katie says:

Do these writers not understand the ways in which superheroes and journalism have always mixed in comics?

Candice remains the realest and I look forward to meeting her musical character.

7. Aww what a good interview, I enjoyed reading it. Candice is right. Barry shouldn’t have proposed out of fear. Even tho we know they’re married in the future, it just wasn’t a good reason to ask her now. Hope they’ll find a way to fix things between them. I’m sad the writers still won’t use Iris’ reporters skills. TPTB could do so much with it in the narrative but they still refuse to be great. What a shame!

• Ralph says:

He could have handled it better. Like “I’d been planning on asking you for 6 months and now just showed my I didn’t want to waste any more time!” To be honest, I’ve never understood the whole Wally has to save her plotline. Barry is still faster than Wally and when he beats Savitar it will be because of his brains as much as his speed, like he has won every fight with the villain.

8. Mimi says:

Always a pleasure to hear Candice’s insight into everything Iris and westallen. Looking forward to how westallen will move past the broken engagement as well as seeing a new Iris in the musical. Also hoping the show will find ways to incorporate Iris reporting into the show, it’s not that difficult

9. Tarra says:

Looking forward to seeing a different version of Iris in the crossover.

Candice is funny! She is absolutely right that a proposal should be based on love and not out of fear. The next proposal will be even better. Barry will ask her because the timing is right and he’s not in fear of losing her. We are gonna get a great Westallen proposal and wedding. It’s coming.

I was rewatching Daredevil and in seeing how Karen was doing so much investigative work that I kept saying they can have Iris do this on the Flash.

10. Mo says:

Sounds like Candice enjoyed what Wally did. I don’t know kind of hypocritical of her or anyone to pick on Barry when Iris was all set lying to Eddie the rest of her life. Interesting the only loss mentioned are Francine and possibly Wally. Won’t it be a kick in the pants if Barry changes his last name to West. *lol* So Keiynan who can actually sing & dance is again not in a (MUSICAL) crossover while Candice plays a major role.

• Roxy says:

Candice can also sing and dance very well Mo and she’s the second billed character and been here for three seasons so entirely more deserving than Keiynan but go off

11. Thanks for the interview! The musical sounds like it will loads of fun and interesting. I’m most looking forward to 1940’s styled Iris, of course. Desperately want her journalism incorporated! If the Flash writers need some help just @ me! :)

• Emily says:

I’m even more intrigued by what ISN’T in this interview… Really hope that we get to see Candice’s Breathless Mahoney interpretation go toe-to-toe with someone else’s Dick Tracy…

12. The Flash really need to get it together when it comes to incorporating her journalism. I agree with Candice, Iris had very valid reasons. Looking forward to another version of Iris, as always Candice will do an amazing job. Thank you for the interview!

13. mapo24 says:

Thank you your this great interview. Iris West is my favorite character of The Flash and i wanted so much to hear from Candice’s POV. Last episode was so emotional but i’m confident Barry & Iris will work things out between them. Come on, I want to see Bart Allen :-) Savitar really knows how to hurt Barry doesn’t he? I can’t wait for Barry to finally defeat him. It’s too bad the writers are sleeping on Ace Reporter Iris West. They could do so much with it, smh

14. Lauren says:

This interview had me squirming! Sooo good to hear from Candice about Iris & westallen-related things!! I’m excited & terrified & hopeful & on the edge of my seat. EXCELLENT interview.

15. AOTR says:

It’s sad that we are at season 3, and the writers STILL don’t know how to incorporate Iris’ journalistic skills to the team on a daily basis. Ridiculous really at this point. She’s done it before:

– 1×20 when she hacked into the CCPD database and cleared Eddie’s name when she reviewed footage of the murder he was framed for.
    -1×21 helped locate Grodd after she studied reports about animal like noises coming from the sewers
    – Sometime in season 2, Iris dug into Francine’s past and discovered that she had a son.
    – 3×09 Dug into Julian’s past to discovered there was more to him than he was letting on (archeological dig)…which helped lead to the team discovering the Julian was alchemy
    – 2×12 Iris exposed the drag racing gang

The team needs better defined roles. Caitlin & Cisco need to stop being the ones who do the research. That is Iris’ domain. They should stick to being biochemist/doctor & scientist/inventor respectively! And Barry needs to do more CSI work. Even Joe now has not been seen doing much of his job lately. This is part of why fans were bored this season (on top of the somber tone which I understood, as we are witnessing big character development this season). Give the characters more interesting things to do!!

Anyhow, all in all, Candice is amazing. Good interview. And yes, I am also rooting for West Allen!

16. Rach says:

The angst with the proposal was brilliant! Had me on the edge of my seat. On another note, writers should give us reporter Iris by now. But soooo excited for the musical now!! Can’t wait to see Candice kill those scenes with her acting…

17. Ashley H. says:

I love Iris, and I’ve been enjoying seeing her vulnerable side. Plus, Westallen is my OTP. I do wish the writers would use Iris’s journalism more often. Unfortunately, most scenes happen in Star Labs, which limits other characters that work in different fields. Maybe next season should have a villain who just wants to destroy the city, and not target Barry and his team. More focus on Central City and how they handle all the craziness. Seeing Iris investigate more, Wally actually going to school, more CSI Barry, and more police work from Joe.

• anon says:

Star Labs role should definitely be reduced. I know the CW probably likes the “team” aspect, It really does seem to limit everyone.

18. Katy says:

Love Iris! Love Westallen! Looking forward to the musical episode solely for Iris because this whole Glee type thing isn’t my jam but for Candice Patton, anything! 😍

19. Ashley says:

Candice is amazing as Iris but I am forever annoyed by the writers. She’s a reporter, surely they can write her storyline as a reporter better. She can’t just stand around star labs 24/7.

20. KM says:

I have a suspicion, when people say, there is no chemistry between barry and iris, is because they ship barry with someone else, I could be wrong.

21. Cherrie says:

Thank you for this interview with Candice, love to hear her perspective on Iris. It’s kind of crazy that after 3 seasons they have no idea how to incorporate Iris’ journalism into the main s/l. This format would be perfect for it. But alas,I guess if they spend so much money on spectacular VFX (amongst other things) how much more money can they spend on great storytelling and well written, layered characters. Any expectation I had (and it was low) for Iris getting any meaningful arc as a journalist is pretty much gone. I digress. At least Candice is honest enough not to give her fans false hope about what Iris’ role will be on that end, unlike the showrunners . So I’m grateful to her for that.

22. Amah Lydia says:

Thank God! am not the only one who thinks barry should do more of his csi work,iris doing more of her reporter work,wally going to collage,joe being the detective that we know.star labs is packed.very sad for westallan on how the engagement went down.but i hope that in the future barry will hold her hands again and say “baby for the second time will you marry me”?looking foward for westallan future.cos yh they got great chemistry.

23. Geum Jandi says:

I love Candice Patton and the character she plays on the flash. I hope the the writers incorporate her her journalism in the show, instead of just being Barry’s love interest. Can’t wait for the next episode.

24. Diana says:

I’m nervous about the episode. I’m really rooting for Barry and Iris. I’m glad Candice had fun with the ‘crossover’ Iris!

25. I love Candice so much because she’s always honest with her fans about Iris in interviews. I’m so disappointed because these writers are not going to explore Iris’s journalism arc. I want to see her as an Ace Reporter just like in the comics! These writers are playing with us and don’t let her be great! It’s so frustrating!
    Anyway, me and a lot of people will continue rooting for Iris West and asking about her jornalism arc untill the writers hear us.
    Matt, you’re amazing and thank you for this interview ♥
    p.s: Westallen all the way!

26. AnnieM says:

I can’t wait to see this. I can’t understand the people who are groaning over it when we know these shows have so many genuinely talented singers.