Once Upon a Time Regina Robin Locksley

Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla Previews Regina's Dilemma ('It Melts Her Heart') and the Return of [Spoiler]

“Be careful what you wish for” applies to unexpected and improbable reunions, Once Upon a Time‘s Regina comes to learn this Sunday (ABC, 8/7c).

Having met the Wish Realm’s alive-and-well Robin of Locksley, and then convinced him to travel to Storybrooke with her, Regina’s hopes perhaps eclipse the reality of the surreal situation.

“I think she has high expectations. She really wants him to be her Robin Hood,” Lana Parrilla shared with TVLine during our visit to the set this week (where the musical episode was being filmed). “The big issue is he looks exactly like him, because he is a version of him, but he’s not real. And he isn’t Robin Hood. He’s Robin of Locksley, so Regina doesn’t even really know who this person is.”

What she does know, from spending a bit of time with him in the Wish Realm, is that this Robin is more of a scalawag. “He really is,” Parrilla notes with a laugh, before serving up an impression: “‘Give to the poor? Why would I do that?!'” But as he settles into Storybrooke, other, more obvious differences come to the fore. “He doesn’t know how to turn a light switch on!” laughs Parrilla. “But I think it’s charming, and I think she has high hopes.”

Said hopes may be fated to be dashed, however. “It’s quite confusing for Regina, because every time she looks at him, she actually puts him in Robin’s clothes, and that just like melts her heart,” Parrilla previews. “She feels like sh’es reliving that relationship all over again, but not — so it’s quite heartbreaking.”

Adding to Regina’s near-future angst, the Purely Evil Queen is set for a comeback, and that reunion sounds like a real humdinger.

Surveying the status of Regina’s doppelganger, Parrilla says, “Right now she’s a snake, but she’s not a snake for long. She comes back, and Episode 14 (airing March 26) is a big Evil Queen/Regina episode. There’s a big standoff between them, and there are a lot of words exchanged. A lot of words are exchanged! It was quite challenging, and also a lot of fun.”

For the dual role, Parrilla made sure that actresses, not just stand-ins, were hired to play opposite her, to best bring both characters to life even when all we see is their backs.

“I basically prep everything in advance — and I don’t mean memorization, I mean the physicality of it all. What I want Regina to do when I’m playing the Evil Queen, and vice versa,” she explains. “I’m very expressive with my arms, especially as the Evil Queen, so I wanted girls I could actually work opposite of and act with, and they were both really wonderful.”

As for how the duo’s next showdown plays out, Parrilla shared this: “It gets really heated, very quickly. And both of their lives are threatened.”

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jennifer says:

Omg, I’ve been waiting for *something* on the evil queen. Thank you! !

2. Aly says:

I am SO excited for a good Regina/EQ showdown!! I’ve been waiting for ages. They need to get to a point in their “relationship” where Regina can eventually accept being whole once more – it’s definitely not health to split yourself in two! They have to be reunited in my opinion.
    I feel sorry for Regina with this new Robin, but hopefully it will let her heal and move on in some way? I’m not sure how, but I don’t want the situation to just hurt her further.

3. Val says:

I find Robin not good in acting
    And like they say magic cones with price. So fake Hood will go

• Joyce Chasteen says:

Snowing & CS alive & together so that’s BS. CS wedding on the way with every rule broken. Regina will be there without Robin singing at her grand daughter’s wedding

4. Lee says:

Is she under the impression that her time as the EQ this season was anything other than over-the-top and painful-to-watch acting? She made what was a once interesting and viable villain into a one-note joke that I was embarrassed for.

5. I’m not gonna survive another heartbreak. #OutlawQueen

6. S says:

Regina turns into a shell of herself the second she gets around Robin.

A&E are masterminds of screwing up their own continuity and character traits. Given everything we know about Regina, it’s mighty hard to believe that Regina cared more about a made-up version of Robin over getting back to her son. In the timeline of the show, Regina and Robin were together for a few weeks, at best, yet it’s treated as if they’ve been together for years. He chose Marian over Regina twice. Yet Regina still wants him simply because of some fairy dust (so much for making your own fate).

Also; A&E blew apart their entire premise of the show the second they allowed wish-world Robin to enter Storybrooke. The entire reason Emma was orphaned was because only two people could go through the portal.

Lana is literally the only reason I still watch. I long for the day when she is on a show that is actually worthy of her talents.

• Sarax76 says:

Robin choose Regina not Marian… rewatch the season 4 … Robin is dead for Regina .. 2 times in S5 Robin saved Her love Regina. Regina need happy ending with her soulmate ROBIN HOOD .. The unique caracter that never judged Regina. Emma Snow David ecc ..judged Regina evrytime. We need Robin back alive permanently.

• S says:

He never chose Regina, except for the one time they chose to have sex in her vault and Marian wasn’t that far away from them barely alive. SO ROMANTIC!!!! TRUE LOVE FOREVER!!

7. Joyce Chasteen says:

The speech by Emma about hope, Robin’s feather, but this is Regina. No matter what the set up is fairy tale not for her. Only Snow & Emma get what they want. A&E premise of hard knocks life for Regina as a fairy tale is BS. Totally could make this work but won’t. She’ll be singing at CS wedding as grandma.

8. Ana says:

They really deserve a second chance,we could have a beautiful history of the Prince of Thieves( a big legend on the world) and The “Evil” Queen, but the writers destroy that, i was waiting they finally could be together without lots of obstacles, they fight against all… They are really in love and it’s really sad how they just destroy all the hope in their history.

9. Sarax76 says:

‘It Melts Her Heart’ … 😍😍😍 THIS IS LOVE … OUTLAWQUEEN ARE SOULMATE AND TRUE LOVE. .. please we need happy ending for Robin and Regina

10. Judysd says:

ROBIN AND REGINA ARE SOULMATE WE NEED OUTLAWQUEEN TOGETHER FOREVER .. WE NEED HAPPY ENDING. I M SO HAPPY FOR ROBIN RETURN 😍

11. Ma says:

I’m so glad Robin is back. I hope this story will be better and undone Zelena/baby bs.

12. R says:

Regina and Robin deserve a happy ending. The show has really gone downhill.

13. Kristin says:

So completely sick of hearing about Robin, the writers have to be idiots to bring him back when the show is struggling. Can’t wait for him to be gone, then I will try to get through the Emma and Hook fiasco or I should say fast forward through in hopes there are some good Regina/EQ parts.

14. Caris says:

Regina is so beautiful and cool she wants Robin Hood to be alive but he died