Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Mon-El's Big Secret Revealed — Did You Already Guess It?

We have a lot to discuss, but first things first: The next time Dean Cain breaks into your apartment and starts rattling off conspiracy theories, just cover your ears and send him on his way.

Alex really could have used that memo before Monday’s Supergirl, during which J’onn tested her loyalty by disguising himself as Jeremiah and successfully wooing her to the dark side. (But not, like, Darkseid. That’s a whole other thing.) Anyway, Kara refused to help Alex go rogue — she agreed with J’onn’s decision to suspend her sister from the DEO — but she was still able to track down Cadmus with help from a somewhat unlikely duo: Maggie “Ride or Die” Sawyer and Brian. You know, the Alien.

At Cadmus HQ, Jeremiah attempted to sell Alex a sob story about protecting his family in order to help her see the beauty of his wicked ways, but things fell apart… rather quickly. And during the height of the madness, Alex and Lillian ended up calling to him like a puppy who was deciding who his real owner is. He chose Alex, allowing her — and Supergirl, who tracked them down with an assist from Lena — to stop a ship full of kidnapped aliens from being sent back into space. (Yay!)

Supergirl Teri HatcherSpeaking of aliens, this week’s real treat was the introduction of Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo as a pair of royals — the King and Queen of Daxam, I presume? — who are finally landing on Earth after a great journey. Oh, and let’s not forget about that spoiler-filled promo for Supergirl‘s March 20 return, which revealed Mon-El’s big secret: As everybody many fans have suspected, he’s the prince!

Also in the episode…

* I’ll admit, I’d kind of written Winn off earlier this season as he gradually faded into the background, but his relationship with Lyra is renewing my interest in him. They’re real cute together, and I think their story is an important one.

* This might be a controversial take, but Kara totally deserved to be fired. I know we suspend our disbelief a lot for this show, but if you think about it, anytime she’s writing about Supergirl, she’s literally making up her own quotes. (And that’s not even what got her into trouble this time!) Kara is obviously a powerful force for good in the world, but working at a newspaper probably isn’t the ideal — pardon the pun — outlet for her.

So, did you guess Mon-El’s royal secret? And did you also audibly gasp when Hatcher made her grand entrance? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the episode below.

1. Jason says:

Not understanding why James was not involved in the scenes at Catco? Why didn’t they even share scenes with this entire journalism story but overall a good episode and no coincidence one that dialed back all the karaxmon-el angst and focused on story/action

• Rachel says:

It’s almost like James is sort of fading away. He’s been in like 3 episodes all season. I miss him actually being in the show.

• Pedro says:

They are probably easing him off at the end of the season. His romance with Kara didn’t really take off. The move to Canada meant Lucy was out and so was Cat. The Guardian plot seems aimless. At this point, I think they realise CatCo has to go – it’s worthless without Cat – and if James and Kara don’t really work, he is pointless.

• J Ritty says:

I think they should just write everyone a nice happy life then merge her into the main universe…lol

• Ann says:

THIS. I’d like for the finale to somehow move Supergirl and her Superpals into the Flash’s universe where it would make more sense. Perhaps the writers are easing us into a possible universe switch? No more Jimmy. No more Snapper. No more Lucy or Cat. No more Catco.

• Catarina Pinheiro says:

In my opinion, that would be a mistake. It’s hard enough as it is to suspend disbelief in Arrow, now that he could just call his speedster friend to solve most of his problems. Adding a super powered alien as fast as the Flash would completely kill the arrowverse.

• Jimmy says:

My thoughts as well. What purpose does Jimmy Olson serve for this series anymore? The whole Guardian schtick is lame and a poor use of a great actor like Mehcad Brooks.

• Nicole says:

He got replaced in more ways than one for Mon. Which is stupid because Mon is useless and selfish. Winn can’t find info three seconds after he finds out what he needs to know.

• Randy says:

I hate that they brought mon-el on the show. He should have been Kara”s love interest.

• Hallie says:

james was being faded out with or without mon his relationship with kara was a bust because they had no chemistry, with out CF catco seems pointless and he doesn’t really fit in the DEO stuff so they did the guardian s/l but that fell flat. I think it is just circumstance and casting is the issue he just doesn’t work in the show the same way he did in season 1

• ninergrl6 says:

I think they *could* fit him into the DEO but for some reason they’ve chosen not to. With CatCo having much less significance this season, James does too.

• Ann says:

It’s possible Mehcad Brooks wasn’t keen on moving to Canada to work full-time on a tv series and wanted out, so they’re slowing writing his character out.

• Ali says:

I don’t see Mon-El being a photographer with a girlfriend yet flirting with a co-worker, nor being a vigilante coercing his apprehensive ex-co-worker to go in the field with him to fight criminals without proper training, when he supposedly is the head of CatCo.
          He should’ve been written better, honestly I don’t know how he can be more integrated into the story, but I’m not a writer, maybe they have better ideas than the Guardian storyline up their sleeves.

• Hallie says:

I think once it was clear that james and cara really had no chemistry and were not going to bring fans in they scrapped it and then cat left when they moved the show to canada it really left them with no where to go with the character that and they also relised fans didn’t really like the character much they way they did with winn so they just backburned him until they can fade him out come next season i think he will be gone

• ninergrl6 says:

In a way Winn on the show is more like the “traditional” portrayal of Jimmy — the dorky, unconfident sidekick. The show wanted to go a different direction with James, which is fine in theory, but in Winn they gave us a “Jimmy.”

• Lizzie says:

I was just talking to someone about this. Winn is essentially Supergirl’s Felicity and Cisco who in a whole are the Jimmy Olsen comic book character. Why they didn’t just have him be the “Jimmy” character is crazy. But I’m going to say this was the CBS of it all that wanted “diversity” and a male lead when there really didn’t need one.

• JFINN says:

I don’t get it with some of you what is suppose to be chemistry? Kara and James have natural chemistry and feels mature. Her chemistry with Mon El is so forced and cliche. In season 1 every time Melissa Benoist and Mechad Brooks had a scene together she was always smiling and glowing while her scenes with Chris Wood seem forced and isn’t into him like she is with Mechad.

2. Liz says:

I think we all knew Mon-El’s secret at this point; I’m more interested in what the fallout will be than in the reveal itself. And I actually agree, Kara is sort of awful at her job. She’s enthusiastic, sure, and she really wants to do what’s right, but she hasn’t exactly been a good employee. I could see her working her way up to be an influencer in Cat’s footsteps more than I could see her as a journalist like Clark.

3. Diz says:

The Mon-el thing is boring and predictable. Everybody already knew. Teri Hatcher is awesome, though I wish they didn’t waste her on this role.
    Alex was amazing to watch this episode, and I loved the sister moment we got, I miss the danvers sisters relationship, they really make the show.

• Taylor Hemming says:

Agreed! I miss the Danvers sisters relationship moments on the show! It’s the bedrock of the series (btw I miss the mini multi-alien family of Kara-Jonn-Danvers moments too). Those scenes are getting fewer in between/ pushed in the background to further each of their respective romantic storylines.

• jj says:

what do you mean you miss the danvers sisters’ relationship? it’s featured in every episode

• Luli says:

Not the same as the first season…. Every episode their screen time together is less, and I’m hating it.

• Katherine215 says:

It’s coded language – the poster actually probably hates Mon-el but feels that if they emphasize the loss of Danvers sister-time, their comment will have more merit. Too bad Kara and Alex have sisterly scenes basically every episode so the point is invalid.

• Luli says:

But nos as much as they used to have… Sanvers has a scene every episode, would you say that is enough?

• sk says:

Sanvers may have scenes every episode but they are so shorter than Karamel’s. Although 2×15 featured them more than a minute or two for once and I was more than happy they did that

• Lolo says:

I doubt it’s actually that deep…

• Jon Willis says:

The way they are using Teri is no more of a waste then when Smallville had her play Lois’ mother for a single flashback

4. Brian says:

Anyone with a brain guessed Mon-El’s secret by episode 4. That’s how boring, useless and completely unecessary his character is. This episode felt like old school Supergirl and his reduced amount of screentime was a big part of that. Ship him off the show, already!

• Nicole says:

Preach. They replaced James with Mon. For what? He’s the worst kind of guy and then you made him Kara’s boyfriend AFTER she specifically told James she wanted to work on being a better reporter and Supergirl. But a cute boy from The Vampire Diaries shows is available and here he is.

• Hallie says:

I actually like mon el more then james but he didn’t replace mon el the show was already trying to figure out what to do with james once it was clear that james and cara had no chemistry they ended them and with CF gone it left them with no storyline for james in the show it had nothing to do with mon el even if they never brought the character in they still wouldn’t know how to fit him in

5. Ryan says:

Please let Mon El’s real name be Lar Gand.

6. Unknown says:

I wonder why they didn’t use James also he is the boss and he could easily rehire Kara and since when is being supergirl and being in a relationship enough for her she loved her job last season and she loved this job she loved her life outside of super girl and now this is enough

7. Diggory says:

To be fair Kara will probably be rehired next week

• Butch says:

I hope they fired her on the show because they realized she was more than Clark Kent in a skirt. Let her have her own unique job.

Trivia note- Kevin Sorbo was a runner up for the job of Superman/Clark Kent on “Lois and Clark The New Adventures of Superman” On an alternate universe we have already seen the reunion of Lois and Clark.

• drhenning says:

they’d have to redo the opening of the show if not.. “By day, I’m a blogger..

8. Taylor Hemming says:

Yeah, Kara should have been fired for that. And Alex should have been suspended too.. IRL I’m pretty sure Alex would have been fired long ago given how many times she’s compromised the DEO for emotional reasons leading to reckless actions (illegally locking up a citizen, allowing unauthorized entry to secret base, etc.)

9. Nicole says:

Prince of Daxium. We’ve known for awhile.

10. DAMN says:

Disappointed that Mon El is the Prince of Daxam.
    I really though because it was too obvious of a connection to make that they would throw a curveball and he would turn out to be someone else.

11. aaron says:

Who couldnt see this twist coming from a galaxy away?

12. ALM says:

I disagree with many on this. I find I like the show better the more James is not around. At least Mon and Kara have chemistry. James is the one who serves no purpose, and the Guardian schtick is ridiculous.

• Jennifer says:

I’m with you. James bores me to tears. There’s nothing that really defines his character. At least the old Jimmy Olson from the comic books was this loyal, nerdy, naive sidekick. But JAMES? Who is he? So happily surprised to have Mon-El on the show. Yes he’s somewhat a chauvinist and doesn’t really know how to be in a relationship, but he’s learning little by little and growing and changing. At least there’s somewhere to go with his character. James is a dead end.

• JFINN says:

WOW. Can’t believe you still favor Mon El. He’s the one that is boring and a generic love interest. I know I’m beating a dead horse here but the only reason Mon El was brought on because the network wanted Kara to be with a white guy. Kara/James had chemistry and only people like you and the network that can’t stand a black guy dating a white girl.The whole James/Guardian thing is can be interesting if done right but instead they put focus on Bland El and less time on James, Winn, J’onn, Alex, Maggie.

• Pedro says:

Wow. Your comment was very racist.

• JFINN says:

No my comment isn’t racist the execs don’t like black males paired with white females.Most of the interracial couples on the other CW shows are white males with other minority women even though I like Barry/Iris on the Flash. And the network loves Mon El actor as hes been on every other CW show other than Vampire Diaries. I don’t mind interracial couples regardless of color so don’t be calling my comment racist as other racist fanboys never liked Mechad Brooks cast as Jimmy from day one.

• Pedro says:

Yes. The network can’t stand interracial couples. That is why Riverdale has had, what, five of them in six episodes? And the leads of The Flash, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane The Virgin have been in major interracial relationships?

• jj says:

Your argument has no validity. The CW has many interracial couples including couples featuring the lead character. You are not beating a dead horse you are repeating an argument that there is no evidence for. You might want to learn the difference between opinions and facts.

• ninergrl6 says:

Your argument loses meaning when you lump Winn and Alex’s “lack” of time in with James. Both of them have significant storylines throughout this season, romantic and otherwise, and appear in *every* episode whereas James is floundering.

• JFINN says:

• Tara says:

JFINN, Diggle is married to a white woman. Wally West is dating Jesse.

• ALM says:

Please don’t call me, or anyone else for that matter, a racist when you know nothing about me or my life. That is one of the biggest problems in our country now. You can’t say anything without someone else calling you something. I merely said I preferred one character over another due in large part to chemistry with the female lead. It has nothing to do with race for me. And what so many have answered you about other CW shows and interracial relationships is true. Disagree with me, fine, but stop the
          slanderous comments.

• jj says:

don’t worry a lot of people agree with you.

• Christina says:

I agree with you about everything! I actually fast forward through all the guardian nonsense.

• A.F. says:

I don’t disagree with you, but I also don’t disagree with the many of the others.I find them both boring and uninteresting. The twist with Mon you could see after he really woke up the first time and I also don’t need a love interest per se for Kara. Why do you have to have a love interest for any character, can’t be a person interesting on his/her own terms?
      According to TV land a person can’t and that is boring.
      I would liked it better if they had Kara at least this season single and take her time to find herself. I can already seee that we will have a find herself story next season or possibly, after the reveal with Mon and that it will be sidelined for another love interest really soon after that.

• ninergrl6 says:

ALM, I agree with you 100%

13. Sandy says:

I loved tonight’s episode and was caught off guard a couple of times. I felt Mon-El was the prince. I can’t wait to see how it plays out. I completely love his story arc of a hero’s journey. He’s a great addition to the show and is perfect for Kara.

14. Teresa says:

Even when Mon-el is barely in the episode people still trash him. Come on! People need to grow up. I’m not Mon-el’s biggest fan, but the amount of hate he gets, especially on this site, is unnecessary. I feel like his haters are gonna hate no matter what he does.
    Now about the episode: This was an amazing episode. Definitely in the top 3 for the season. Loved that Maggie had more screen time, not a lot more but still more, and loved seeing her relationship with Alex. The fight at the bar scene had to be my favorite part of the episode just because it had 3 amazing women kicking ass (Lyra, Maggie, and Alex). My only complaint about this episode was that we didn’t really see alot of Supergirl, she just had that scene at the end (which was fantastic!) and that its. Sad it’s not coming on next Monday, but I’m beyond excited for the musical!

• ninergrl6 says:

I agree about the Mon-El hate, especially after this episode. He was hardly in it! Isn’t that what the haters want?

• Joel says:

It seems to me Mon-El could give his kidney and those fans *cough*shippers*cough* will still find something to fault him for. Their vitriol is what I find to be toxic.

Bring on the Daxam arc! I hope there’ll be tons of flashbacks of Daxam and Krypton, preferably before their destruction, it’ll be so cool to see other planets.

• keiko says:

Some people don’t give Mon-El a break, the alien lived his life so differently for all his life until months ago, so if he doesn’t automatically say yes to whatever Kara says, it’s only natural. Besides, it’s so obvious that he IS trying to change and better himself, especially noticeable now that he and Kara are in a relationship. I’ve read he’s been accused abusive and toxic elsewhere. Geez. The irrational man-hate of certain fans is so obvious.

• Luli says:

I’m thinking this was when the crossovwrr was filmed, and Melissa was being featured heavily in the flash episode, so this had to be a supergirl light ep.

15. Colleen says:

I agree that Kara should’ve been fired. To be honest, I don’t understand why she wants to be a reporter. It doesn’t seem to suit her personality, she doesn’t seem to actively pursue non-Supergirl stories, and she doesn’t seem to care much about writing. Instead of making her a female Clark Kent, I wish they’d find a job for her that’s uniquely Kara.

16. Kelly says:

I just don’t understand how they can have Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher in the same episode and not share a scene. I mean COME ON!

17. Robert says:

Love the show overall but still hate the fact that the DEO is run so stupidly. They work with aliens and yet have one alien weapon that they share.

18. peterwdawson says:

Everything at Catco doesn’t really seem to matter anymore. Day jobs always seem to suffer the most in these DCCW shows. I mean, Legends, they can time travel, so that’s okay, but Arrow there was over a season where how Oliver was getting money was kind of a giant question mark, after two seasons on the Flash I’m still not sure where Caitlin and Cisco are getting the cash, etc. I know overall it doesn’t matter too much to the plot but it just gets more frustrating when a spotlight is on it. Not only does Kara’s apartment seem kind of swank for one person but she doesn’t actually seem to be that good at her job, making designated jerk Snapper Carr more reasonable.

• LK says:

Kara really should be on the DEO payroll full time… there isn’t any reason for her to have another job.

• ninergrl6 says:

I agree… unless she *wants* another job… which she does sometimes. However it’s often in name only.

19. Lisa says:

Hope that Alex is killed off soon. The show is called Supergirl, not Supergirl’s adopted human sister who somehow has Batman type skills and strength while fighting everyone.
    I’m done with this show.
    I like Supergirl, I like Jimmy Olson, I really liked the Martian Manhunter reveal in season 1 too. Such a great twist, but I’m so done with weak stories and wasted time on Alex Lamers. ffs just get rid of her already.

• jj says:

considering Alex is one of the most popular characters with fans, I don’t think your wish is going to come true.

• Brian says:

it’s nice to have dreams, sweet cheeks.

• Stacey says:

Wow, Alex is one of the best characters in the CW-DC universe! Don’t know why you have such animosity towards her. She is an awesome character!

• Luli says:

Dudeeeee you are off your rockets! The sisters are the best and most important part of the show, even if its just called supergirl. And Alex was a badass in this ep.

• Josh says:

Alex is freaking awesome!! Her relationship with Kara is like the best on the show and she’s badass. Sucks we get less sis time cause Mon-el has to eat up screen time

• Luli says:

It is not jus Mon El….

• RDaniels says:

I like Mon-El, he’s funny. He had little screentime this episode and he still gets blamed? I choose funny than unnecessary drama in my superhero shows to be honest.
        No one really knows if James will be eventually written out, but right now, I’m bored by his arc, at least Winn got some character development w that. Oh, in the Livewire episode, the fight scene w Guardian, Supergirl and Mon-El was cool so there’s that. Maybe they should keep doing that collaboration so James will have something to do.

• Lolo says:

I think it was Berlanti who said that Alex would be the main character of her own show if supergirl wasn’t her sister.

20. Max says:

Who reads newspapers anymore anyway? An online blog is where it’s at. So it’s actually good that she got fired. Ian Gomez acted more like a cartoon than an actual character anyway. Good riddance to him as well.
    Another question I have is, why didn’t she call on Superman when trying to stop the spaceship? An event this large and momentous, she could’ve used his help to try to stop the ship from reaching orbit.
    I like Mon-El. He at least has chemistry with Supergirl, unlike Jimmy Olsen. Sure he acts like a frat boy, but so what? Gives him room to grow.

21. DG says:

I hope they don’t use the filter on Teri every time she’s in a scene. She doesn’t need it.

22. April says:

Wait…didn’t I see this in a movie, with Eddie Murphy???

23. ninergrl6 says:

LOVE Winn & Lyra. Glad Mon-El was a supportive boyfriend this week. Thrilled that Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher are both guest stars & praying they share a scene eventually. Kara getting fired was the right thing. Maybe now the show can drop all pretense of CatCo.

24. Well, quoting Phoebe Buffay: “This is brand new information!” (speaking about the Prince of Daxam “big reveal”).

25. Stacey says:

Winn is fine, he’s an integral part of the DEO, Jimmy is the one fading into the background. We had 5 seconds of him being Guardian and a few minutes of him hanging out with Winn and Lyra (who are adorable), they need to figure out how to better work him into the story. And I agree, Kara did deserve to lose her job, maybe she can continue to blog. I do hope we see more scenes with her and Lena, the chemistry between those two is amazing! Glad Mon-El’s parents will be in the next episode, love TH and KS, should be a cool SL for Mom-El, I hope!

26. Stacey says:

I love that this was an Alex heavy episode. Love seeing her different relationships with Kara, J’onn, Maggie, and Jeremiah. That scene with her and Kara was really telling of their sisterly bond and belief in one another. Love her relationship with Maggie too, they work well with each other! And that hug with J’onn at the end was especially sweet!

27. trace says:

I worry for shows that have breakout first seasons and then spread themselves too far in the second and third, where the main characters all have their own separate story lines.
    super excited for this ep, love watching Alex kick ass. #sanvers

28. Luli says:

Again why did we get only two damn scenes between Alex and Kara?!?!? Why?!??? I needed another scene after that intense scene they had in the ship!

Why do I feel like every episode their screen time together gets reduced….. While I love Karamel, and Sanvers I need MORE of the Danvers sisters… iMO the most important relationship of the show… Then the Jon, Kara, Alex trio.

29. Gift says:

I admit it was good seeing James but he didn’t get replaced by Mon El he just wasn’t working. Mon El playing the part they wrote him to act. He is a prince he was raised selfish, self centered nd all that. but he is trying to do better than before nd be good nd be different from his parents because I’m sure they re evil is. Mon El’s chemistry with Kara is a great. Kara is better with him nd I enjoy their relationship. I hope they give James a better story line.

30. wgsecretary says:

I guessed he was the prince in his first or second episode.

31. James could have overridden Snapper, but that would not have been a good move as a boss. As the above article said, Kara absolutely deserved to be fired. She openly defied her boss and violated the terms of her employment.

She did a good thing, but sometimes doing a good thing has consequences.

32. Dominique says:

at one point, all cw shows need to learn how to create a surprising twist for the episode’s ending. they keep crediting the (returning) guest stars who are supposed to cause some massive *gasp* at the end of an episode. it spoils everything. they did it on the flash with violett beane in the episode before the grodd two-parter, the vmapire diaries did it with kayla ewell as vicki in last friday’s episode, and now supergirl with teri hatcher. it’s a shame because wihtout crediting them, the surprise would be much bigger.

• Azerty says:

Well actually I see it as more of a cliffhanger than spoiler. It is suppose to make you eager about the next episode. And to be honest I was surprise with the Prometheus reveal on Arrow. One the other lots of other twists like Mon El in Supergirl or Alchemy in Flash were both a let down.

33. ella jasper says:

I have given up on this show. Too many “super” characters. I miss Calista, Winn and James aren’t getting any airtime.

• ninergrl6 says:

Winn’s relationship with Lyra, which I LOVE, is getting significant airtime.

• RDaniels says:

Calista couldn’t or wouldn’t move to Canada for the show so it just makes sense that Cat Grant will not have airtime. Winn is getting airtime. As for James, I’m not sure the Supergirl writers know what to do with him since CatCo isn’t focused on, but I see that the writers are trying because they gave him Guardian storyline.

34. J Ritty says:

I though yikes she’s aged (but not terribly) and then I laughed when I saw sorbo…and then I was puzzled why he and dean cain’s roles weren’t reverse and then I remembered I was ‘watching’ Supergirl ;)

• Azerty says:

I thought the same thing about Teri Hatcher. I watched Desperate Housewives until the last episode, which was not so long ago but that’s definitely not how I remember her in DH.

35. J Ritty says:

I still think Mon-El looks better than the guy picked for superman… they should have switched, let the other guy grow his hair out and been Mo El…Dorado.

36. JR says:

I may not remember clearly, but I thought early in the season there was a flashback to mon-el leaving Daxam and that it was clear from that he was the prince, but maybe I read something into it that wasn’t there.

I hope they are moving away from CatCo. I really miss Calista Flockhart this season (which I thought I wouldn’t). I don’t know who that huge man that’s running it now, but its not Jimmy Olson. Jimmy Olson is a geeky little red-head photographer. The CW seems to have something against red-heads… Jimmy Olson – redhead, Wally West – redhead, Roy Harper – redhead…instead they have Archie Andrews with weird fake red hair.

Sadly, the thing I still don’t like about this show is Supergirl…her acting just needs a lot of improvement. Without her, I live the show.

• Tasha says:

I agree I’m like what surprise they showed that he was the prince when his servant tricked him in the the pod.

37. GraceM says:

I think everyone figured out who Mon-El was a while ago. Enough clues were given.

I knew Lena wasn’t an evil Luthor. I’m glad she’s willing to help. Alex could learn a thing or two from her about family loyalty versus helping to fight evil.

38. Misti says:

Kara never should have been that type of reporter anyway. Give her an OpEd column and let her go to town. That’s where her type of passion shines. Since I didn’t watch the show live, I didn’t see the promo for next week (now I have to go find it online…) but I’m not at all surprised by Mon-El’s “secret”. I had no idea who the couple in the spaceship at the end were supposed to be. :p

39. Pablo says:

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher in the same chapter… pity they didnt meet…
    it will be great Brenda Strong, Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher interacting

40. Deion says:

Of course Mon El is the prince, I have been wanting to know why he lied about it since the flashback and I hope that they don’t forget to explain how Jeremiah knew.

Now, about James. You don’t cast a man of Mehcad Brooks’s sheer physicality and not plan to get him in on the routine beating of bad guys. He’s handsome, sure, but he’s larger than everyone else. So I think the plan was always to get him in on the Superhero act. But they went about this the wrong way. If they were going to give him a suit, he could have been John Henry Irons instead of Jimmy Olsen. But if the Guradian storyline was what they wanted, why not incorporate that into the Cadmus storyline? You have an evil organization making super powered people, and don’t take the opportunity to develop a character you obviously wanted to? Most of the Guardian characters in the DC continuity are clones of the first Guardian made by Cadmus anyway. Now they have no idea what to do with him since he’s not the incredibly handsome salve that Kara puts on after Cat Grant insults her. There is still a smart way to use James, and I hope they find it. It wouldn’t be surprising to see them remove him altogether, but they can still fix this.

41. fiberlicious says:

First: I’m not a comic book reader and so have no allegiance to “sticking to the script.” I loved this episode, loved Mon-El and Kara, LOVED Wynn and Lyra. Was a bit disturbed by Alex essentially demanding that SG risk her life to save her. Doesn’t seem true to Alex’s character.

42. GraceM says:

Mon-El’s big secret, was it shown in the previews for the next episode? I didn’t see anything that actually reveals who he is.

I mean Terri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo are the Royals and have arrived at earth, but that didn’t reveal anything.

• Tara says:

Yes, it’s in the previews for the next episode. You can find it on youtube.

• jess says:

yeah i thought that too like they could just be trying to confuse us for the next episode

• Tara says:

Trust me, there’s no confusion. There’s even a shot of him and Kara having dinner with the king and queen and she says “Hail Mon-El, the prince of Daxam.”

And the hate Mon-El gets is irrational. He’s awesome and funny. Plus great chemistry with Kara. And they can even do fun scenes like “Blob” and stuff. This is couple that can stay together because they can milk them for comedy, instead of having to always resort to angst to keep things interesting.

• Max C. says:

I agree. It’s really great that Mon-El and Kara can easily do fun scenes and serious scenes and they both tug at the heartstrings. It’d be a shame if Mon-El is killed off or sent away just because of some loud fans clamoring for more screentime for their own favorites.
          Personally I think Supergirl writers should really take advantage of this refreshing chemistry that Chris and Melissa have. Mon-El isn’t perfect but I can’t help but shake my head when I read some labelling his relationship with Kara as abusive and toxic, I think that’s a tad too excessive. Just because she’s in a relationship doesn’t make Kara any less powerful or independent.

43. jess says:

i just don’t understand why some people don’t like Mon-El and as for him being the prince of Daxum how do we know that maybe they m.ade it seem like he is to throw us off the real secret …. im not sure but its a guess

44. Luis Roman says:

Yeah I totally figured Mon-el was the prince at midseason. Welcome, Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo! A Daxam-Earth war? Is there a way to do that at least a cameo from Superman? Speaking of Supes, do you think Kara would have benefitted from at least a correspondence course in journalism with Clark Kent?

45. y_sioson says:

So most already guessed that Mon-El isn’t really a guard of the Prince of Daxam since the start, but what I care about and am interested in is what happens now, and how Kara and Mon-El will deal with all this.
    Unlike some, I love Mon-El! Yes his character is flawed, but it comes with him growing into adulthood in another planet, having a different culture and values. That just means his character has room to evolve. Not sure why others expect a grown man who’s used to being a certain way, grew up differently, lived w different values for maybe 25+ years (IDK how old he is) to easily do a 180 degrees and change himself in just a few months.
    Wood is a good actor. Based on the few clips I’ve seen of his other projects that’s not Supergirl, the guy HAS range. In Supergirl, he’s good in dramatic AND comedic scenes! That and having a great (IMHO, off-the-charts) chemistry with Benoist is awesome! So I really want him to last beyond Season 2. I don’t even care if Mon-El and Kara are broken up in the following seasons, I’ll enjoy his interactions with other characters not just with Kara because he IS very charming. So I hope the unwarranted hate he’s getting will not affect how the showrunners decide what happens to Mon-El by the end of Season 2. I hope SG producers and writers keep Wood until the show ends, whatever season that may be.

46. GraceM says:

I just realized, Terri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo will be in the musical episode. I wonder if they will sing too? Lol!

47. Alan Grey says:

This show is getting way too preachy and partisan. I’m out.

48. keiko says:

I liked that J’Onn tested Alex. At least he’s using his head unlike the episode before when they all weren’t being careful with Jeremiah even if he is family.
    I like Winn and Lyra.
    I’m ambivalent about James but he should’ve been in the CatCo scenes, unless he’s not working there anymore? Isn’t he supposed to be so busy as he replaced Cat Grant?
    I continue to like Mon-El and his arc which in my opinion shows continued growth, slow maybe, but he is making an effort. I continue to like him and Kara too. Great chemistry.
    I am excited how the king and queen of Daxam storyline will play out. Too bad Jeremiah is gone now that the queen just arrived. Hopefully in S3 there’ll be a continuation of the Daxam arc.

49. Jewel says:

I am so happy that mon-el is the prince of daxam and after all mon-el and kara do make a cute couple together.

50. purpleslog says:

Re…”which revealed Mon-El’s big secret: As everybody many fans have suspected, he’s the prince”…it wasn’t a secret to us fans since the other guy called Mon-El your highness when he got into the capsule.