Gilmore Girls Netflix A Year in the Life

Gilmore Girls: Netflix in 'Preliminary' Talks for a Second Revival

It’s happening again. Maybe.

In the wake of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life‘s runaway success, Netflix has begun exploring the possibility of a second revival. The streamer’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos reportedly told UK’s Press Association that “very preliminary” talks are underway with (presumably) Warner Bros. for more episodes.

“We hope [it happens],” he said. “We obviously loved the success of the show [and] fans loved how well it was done; it delivered what they hoped. The worst thing is to wait a couple of years for your favorite show to come back and for it to disappoint you, but [series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Dan Palladino] sure delivered and people were really excited about more. And we have been talking to them about the possibility of that.’

Buoyed in large part by the November release of A Year in the Life, Netflix added a record-shattering 7.05 million subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2016.

When asked about the possibility of returning to Stars Hollow, Sherman-Palladino told TVLine last December, “I don’t rule anything in my life out. When people were talking about a Gilmore movie [after the original series ended] I was always like, ‘That’s not going to happen.’ But I wasn’t going to say no. Because… why say no to anything?”

That said, the auteur — whose Amazon pilot The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel drops later this month —  strongly hinted that Another Year in the Life (possible working title?!) was not be imminent. “We’re all very tired,” she conceded. “Dan and I have been in a Gilmore cocoon for a year and a half. It’s been very intense. So we’re stepping back now.”

1. Dominique says:

if this is true and a second revival will happen, i hoe they will learn from the first one. as wonderful as it was to see the girls et all back on my screen, there were a lot of things wrong with the four episodes, mainly that 90mins per episode was way too long and they had celarly no idea how to fill it.
    that said; this sounds good!

• Temperance says:

I couldn’t agree less. I thought they were awesome… and the shows were filled with plenty of great stuff, no different than the series. Some folks just don’t like that pacing, I guess. GG takes place in a very specific world with very specific people – it has it’s own rules. It’s pretty magical and difficult to create from the technical end. Kudos to ASP.

• Viv says:

Thank you Temperance! Sorry Dominic, but people grow… These two women have not changed — they’ve just become more of who they always were. Lorelai still has poor little rich girl syndrome — she hates being confined or Defined by anyone (Love ya, Rune!!)

Rory still has Golden Girl syndrome and she’s finally, FINALLY getting a taste of what consequences feel like when you manipulate or ignore other people’s feelings. I’ll never forgive her making Dean take the fall for their initial breakup.

The Palladinos just put these two very flawed people in a gorgeous, kooky village to work out their issues. I thought Sesaon 8 ruled!! (Especially the steampunk Beatles montage was cheddah-gorge…) The Netflix season felt REAL. Keep it up!
      Rory turning into Lorelai with the Huntzbergers — delish… cannot wait…
      “BUT I’M A GILMORE!!” ROFL!!!

2. Ryan says:

It would be a bit strange if it DIDN’T come back considering the way they let it end.

3. MMD says:

Oh please, let this come to pass!!!!

4. Get back in that damn cocoon and give me more Gilmores!

5. MMD says:

Michael – You must be thrilled. How long have you been sitting on this nugget?

6. Ryan says:

I’d like to see more, if only because I was SO disappointed by the first revival. I whole-heartedly prefer the original season 7 ending. All four episodes of the new series felt like the creators trying to cram in the season 7 stories they never got to do, despite them clearly not fitting into the characters current ages, and by the end I found Rory insufferable, and Lorelai close to it – these being characters I still love in the orignal series despite their many glaring flaws.

• Gesci Meyer says:

Agreed, wholeheartedly! Just because Amy and Dan didn’t write season 7 doesn’t mean it didn’t exist for the rest of us! The revival was mediocre at best, since the storylines acted as though the characters had been frozen for the past decade- other than Emily, who *had* to move on because Richard died. I couldn’t have been more disappointed.

• Lroyal says:

I totally agree. While it was great to see these characters again, telling this story basically 10 years after its intended delivery really did not work for me. I loved the way the original series ended, and the Revival really took away from it. At the end of the regular series, Rory was on a good path, and I for one was able to imagine that down the road she and Logan would work it out, or she would meet someone else. Lorelai and her parents were on the road to recovery, and Lorelai and Luke were together. The Revival really made it seem like all that had unraveled. It was a disservice to Gilmore Girls fans. That said I would like to see more episodes so that we could see Rory get her act together and see Lorelai and Luke be happy, and definitely see more Sookie I missed her she wasn’t on the show nearly enough

• jj. says:

this was one of my biggest issues with the revival as well. It felt as though characters either regressed or were stuck in some sort of time capsule. I’m curious how the story will progress now that amy has ‘rewritten’ her lost season

• Sam says:

Agreed to everything above. It made me dislike most of the characters I loved. I choose to act as if the revival didn’t happen. It was that disappointing.

• Aly says:

Yes! I completely agree. The whole revival felt like a backwards move for everyone. Just a vanity project for ASP to get her original ending.

• MLPR says:

I also came away from the revival disliking most of my favorite characters. If they do come back with a second revival, I hope they fix the damage they did with the first one. I really hated it.

• Jennifer says:

I am with you 100%. There is no way Rory – a smart, driven woman – would have ended up the way she was written in the revival.

• Jennifer says:

And NO WAY would Emily turn out like that.

• Dbrown says:

I disagree. I think her character accurately reflected the dilemma of many advanced educated millenials. Unmarried, without steady employment in thier field of study, and living with parents.

• jj. says:

I agree with that Dbrown, my biggest issue with rory was that she (the list maker who prepared for everything) was going into all of these interviews unprepared! Especially the conde nast interview that she had been waiting on for months.To me THAT seemed very unlikely for someone 10 years into their career. My guess is that in an ASP written season 7, rory’s arc would have been the same. The big new yorker piece would have been replaced with ‘editor of the yale daily news’. A fresh college graduate being unprepared for interviews and I can understand but 10 years in? I was left wondering how she managed to get the atlantic, slate, and new yorker pieces in the first place

• Mary says:

Sometimes people trip over their own ambition. And I loved Emily getting a new lease on life. She realized she wanted to spend the remainder of her life as real rather than pretentious. A very well-written character transformation.

7. soulkissage says:

More episodes scare me. I need Amy to remember what made the show special to a lot of fans. And she needs to remember that fans have spent a lot of time with these characters. And she really should do us the favor of rewatching every episode of the show (at least through s6 but really s7) before writing this new revival. Amy needs to remember these characters and that each character is their own self. Not a full circle copy. And I would like for her to have dinner or a meeting with each actor she plans on writing for and/or plans to ruin their character in this new revival.

8. TV Gord says:

I loved A Year In The Life, probably in part by the fact that I stayed away from social media about it. I’m a soap fan, and I used to follow a GH page where there was nothing but bashing going on, so I stopped reading it. I enjoyed the show so much more without the constant negativity. When GG:AYITL came along, I knew enough to stay away from the nattering nabobs of negativity. I would do that again next time, too. Sorry, Crazy Internet People, but you are total buzzkills. My world is so much better without you.

:-)

9. T.W.S.S. says:

Second revival? Can we start calling them seasons 8 and 9, please?

10. Pedro says:

Love that Lorelai and Whory will be back.

• Jill says:

Yikes. Slut shame much? I had issues with Rory in the revival (or more accurately, how her storyline was written), but they certainly have nothing to do with her having an active sex life. She’s a grown woman, for crying out loud.

• Jenny says:

Yeah grown. Way too grown to sleep with someone she just met and was supposed to be interviewing for work.

• Pedro says:

To be fair, even in the original, she’s was always with one guy already eyeing another. It’s one thing to have a sexual life with casual encounters. It’s another to cheat, lie, sleep with married or engaged men. But don’t get me wrong. For drama purposes, I love it! Whory is my favourite. Salacious scandal makes for great drama.

11. Abby says:

Eh, won’t watch. The revival was so bad that it ruined the original series for me.

12. Roberta says:

I want more Gilmore girls seasons year in the life I love everything about it show I have been try hard to everyone voice stay more so please bring it back you can keep the musicals out

13. Just no musical this time.
    Follow the formula: Jess=Luke, Logan=Christopher, Rory=Lorelai

14. Jason says:

I’m always ready for more. It’s a story about their lives, so it doesn’t really need to have a finite point, because life goes on. They should just make sure to pace themselves though and not rush into it. And next time, they should take a more standard, episodic approach. Whatever happens, I’ll be there. I adore these characters and would follow them until I’m old and gray.

15. Dennis Alvey says:

Leave well enough alone! The new episodes were terrible!!

16. Catherine says:

Woohoo!

17. Dannie C says:

There are so many variables to juggle but it would awesome if they did more.It was so hard welcoming them back & saying goodbye to them all in one day(Thanks Netflix. Stagged would of been great too). After waiting so long & not thinking it would ever come back. Also the hard bit is done catching us up on the girls & Stars Hollow gives more real state time to other things (Towinies esp Lane,day to day life etc) I would also be intreasted in to see what format as Amy has said she likes the Sherlock formula. If they did do another a year in the life fomula I think I would like to see 6/8 hour long episodes. One of things that was hard to judge in AYITL was time,there’s 3 months in each season but just one more hour with Amy/Dan,The Girls & Stars Hollow would be amazing.

18. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised by this news and because of how revival ended i think there were a lot of story directions the show could go.However i do wonder if the show learned from any mistakes they made in those 4 movies that they won’t repeat again.

19. Jenny says:

Rory was so unlikable and useless in the revival. Maybe they can right that wrong. Her character is the same age as me and I can’t imagine not having my ish together (and accidentally getting pregnant by an engaged man?) at this point. She was depressing

20. Steph says:

Is this for real?
    Now I did enjoy some aspects of the revival (Emily) but rlthe rest? Seemed frozen in time.
    I was so excited for this show and was so let down. I get people liked it… But it’s like being stuffed into a too small… anything.
    Amy and Dan wanted what they wanted and gave the finger to anyone who really enjoyed season 7.
    Is that the way to treat the fans who made your show a hit?
    Made them seem immature.
    Personally I think they need to read the negative feedback and take a long hard look before diving in again.
    #teamlogan

• Pat says:

As for Logan and Rory it was like season 7 never existed. Amy and Dan regressed them to season 5 status to get their full circle ending. Without any respect for the characters they created or for their fans. And it doesn’t look they care about it or consider the negative feedback so I’m pretty sure they would do worse especially with Logan’s character considering that lame parallel with Christopher. They really gave he finger to us.

21. Jamie says:

“We hope [it happens],” he said. “We obviously loved the success of the show [and] fans loved how well it was done; it delivered what they hoped.”
    I’m confused – is this an article about how disillusioned studio heads are?

22. N says:

I ended watching ALL 7 seasons! MORE….

23. Sabrina says:

After the disappointing revival I can’t see myself wanting to watch more episodes.

24. Michael V says:

On one hand I hope it happens on the other it was the perfect ending to a great show

25. Pat says:

I don’t want to see Logan being turned into a shallow copy of Christopher, married with a woman he doesn’t love and working for his dad just because it’s the family plan. I want to remember Logan the way I left him in season 7. I don’t want to see the character being trashed by the media and the fandom more (because Amy gave them every reason to do so) and I don’t want to see Matt Czuchry going through all this again. So I hope he’ll stay away from this.

26. Carol Nolans says:

Considering that Lauren Graham has just signed on to a new series, I would think she’s out of the running for a while, so the story would no longer center around her…..yeah Rory’s pregnancy can make her the center, but really, Lorelai isn’t gonna be absent during this pregnancy.

• Lol.So Lauren has a pilot?So what? It may not get ordered to serires ( happens a lot)or her character in it could be recast ( happens often in pilots)and lots of actors/actresses work on more than project at once or do other jobs while thier shows on hiatues and then there’s the possibility that the two shows if picked up will have different filming schedules so she could do both.

27. Jennifer says:

No. No. No. The first was SOOO horrible. what they did to all the characters was wrong. As excited as I was for the first to come, i will avoid this one like the plague. It actually turned me off Gilmore Girls entirely.

28. Parker says:

I loved the revival, flaws and all, though I felt I saw each character grow. I hope that Lorelai and Emily continue to grow and mature, as I feel they always take steps back and it’s time for them to stop rehashing those stories. I just hope this news isn’t just getting my hopes up.

29. Debbie says:

I got addicted to the gals late but I was one that stayed up to watch the first showing of seasons and rematches it later that day with family. Please this time let Lorelei find room in her heart to include her mother in her life. Emily deserves better then living on the cape with non speaking strangers! Or maybe have Roy choose to do to her mom what she did to Emily. Her parents were there for them When she would let them. That being said. I Can’t Wait for the next chapters Roy and the Logan family. Gonna be great

30. Mary says:

I wouldn’t mind another round of shows but a think a respectable amount of time would beneficial. Maybe a year or two.

31. Petra says:

Omg please please please please let it happen

32. Petra says:

Omg please please please please please let it’s happen

33. Sharon Gaught says:

What is Amy Paladino’s problem ? You have a hit and a demand and you say no ???? WTF you are a horrible writer and person not to use your talents . If you dont want to do it then sign off and let someone else do it . I mean the world demands this show . We loved it for a majority of our lives . IS Amy not satisfied with that ? I want a new series revival. You cant end the series with the last little words . How stingy can AMy be ? Get off your butt AMY P and let the writers give the world a good , strong single mom struggle of life and triumph series . The World needs GILMORE GIRLS >

34. blsedbx3 says:

What is wrong with Amy Palladino??? I mean come on its a hit ! Its a wanted series .. I mean if she doesnt love it then give it to someone else to handle under her name . I dont care what she does or thinks that someone could ruin this show is absurd . This show deals with a single mom raising a daughter . I raised three children of them a set of twin girls . Everything They went through I have gone through and now have a daughter who is a new mom now making me a grandmother . I lived the Gilmore life without a LUKE . My daughters have seen the series from the beginning and its the most real, heart felt , drama, heart jerking , hopeful, scary interpretation of life I have seen . Its a book on how to live life everyday …no matter the problems we face … tomorrow may be better and we still love and have a home …no matter what . We need more of this kind of TV in the world . NO more fake reality shows and Kardashian crap … give us the underbelly , the real stuff with a message of hope . Come on AMY SHERMAN_PALLIDINO get up and write some more . .

35. frankyao says:

After such a let down season 1, I do not understand why Netflix event wants to have as season 2 ?

36. Maria Isabel Racine says:

Love GG and can’t wait fore to come❤️✌️

37. T. Ann says:

I absolutely hated the revival. I was so disappointed with what the Palladino’s did to all the characters on this show it made me not want to watch the original episodes ever again. Rory did nothing with her life, Lorelai and Luke’s relationship was stagnant and boring, Lane ended up doing nothing with her life and turned into her mother working at the antique shop, and Paris and Doyle ended up being divorced with their kids being raised by a nanny. The only person who sort of grew was Emily.
    By the end of the 4th installment I was so angry and disappointed that I wasted 7 seasons watching a show that the creators basically ruined in 6 hours. I despised most everyone on the show by the end and had no interest in learning any more about them. I wondered why I cared for 7 seasons about Rory and her getting into and eventually graduating from an Ivy League school. She did nothing with her life and could have gone to a regular state school and saved her whole family years of hardship. I wondered why I rooted for Luke and Lorelai when they ended up being the most boring and non-interesting. Why did I care about the town of Stars Hollow when the Palladino’s decided to make it the loser town that was rapidly declining. And, why did I bother watching the 7th season when they chose to ignore most of what transpired. I understand it was not the best season and not their season, but it still happened.
    I say NO THANK YOU to more of these shows. Unless they decide to make the last 4 horrible installments someone’s bad dream and start from scratch, I will not bother watching any more of these shows. The Palladino’s don’t care about the viewers or these characters so why should I.

• Jennifer says:

Hear hear!!! I can no longer watch the original either. I now see how spoiled both Rory and Lorelei were. They were petty and horrible. And the revival? Really? Rory was too driven to end up like that. The Palladino’s were p*ssed off that someone else took over – and that they didn’t get their “demands” for the last season that they basically gave the finger to the fans.

38. Shelley B says:

PLEASE bring it back !!!!!!! So many of us LOVE IT !! The last 4 episodes were just as BRILLIANT as the previous seasons !! You all did a fantastic job !! Please bring it back !!

39. Janet Moffett says:

Soooo hope this happens but i would rather it be a whole season not just another year in the life

40. Danielle Affinito says:

We need a season 2 day in the life. The show is great as well as the cast. Please do another.

41. Lena Lamothe says:

I really need my Gilmore fix please!

42. Tina fitzner says:

I just finished watching the new Gilmore girls on Netflix I loved it there are so many different directions this show or a spin off of this show could go I find it hard to believe that good creative writers couldn’t work Majic with these beloved characters such as a show called Luke’s (diner) like the old Alice or go with Lori and her new baby and her mom and Luke in background as grandparents. Still yet you have lane and her lively family there are so many ways of keeping this show alive the way they kept all in the family alive for years we are ready for something like this there are way too many crime and reality shows on today! Keep up the good work!

43. Traci Roberts says:

I love this series. I love this show. It’s smart, relatable, FUNNY, and you can really invest in these characters. The plot lines are believable and well thought out. The actors and actresses who play these parts are AMAZING!
    I will be truly heart-broken if you don’t do one final season, to tie up loose ends. Thank you.

44. Dedralee Gibson says:

Hi , I would love see another season of Gilmore girls a year in the life ,I really enjoyed it .